All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

baby, lets play house 68

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:15 pm

BACK TO THE BEGINNING !....A recording studio [ Nashville , Memphis ? ] Elvis and musicians at work . Fans standing outside the studio [ possibly at the backdoor where the music filters thru ] can CLEARLY hear a NEW version of Play House being performed by ELVIS . Not the laBeef ,Vince Everett or Dave Edmund versions have anything to do with what the fans who claim heard it that day/ night talked about in Elvis Monthly ,back in 1968 ....For more, read the other messages starting at page 1 . To be honest I dont think we gonna solve this story ...

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:22 pm

I haven't seen any mention in the 1968 Monthlies of fans standing outside the studio and hearing the song being played. Are you certain it was Elvis Monthly and not a different fan club publication?

baby, lets play house 68

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:07 pm

Jeeez ! The only other fanmag I subscibed to back then was Strictly Elvis from the States . This is very puzzling indeed ! Thanks a lot for searching ! Im confused . Gonna watch Clint Eastwood on tv now and come back if I can think up another possible lead.... Strictly copies I havent got either anymore ....

Re: baby, lets play house 68

Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:51 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:BACK TO THE BEGINNING !....A recording studio [ Nashville , Memphis ? ] Elvis and musicians at work . Fans standing outside the studio [ possibly at the backdoor where the music filters thru ] can CLEARLY hear a NEW version of Play House being performed by ELVIS . Not the laBeef ,Vince Everett or Dave Edmund versions have anything to do with what the fans who claim heard it that day/ night talked about in Elvis Monthly ,back in 1968 ....For more, read the other messages starting at page 1 . To be honest I dont think we gonna solve this story ...

Well, it could be that Elvis and the band were just jamming, couldn't it? You know warming up before the session started or just relaxing between the songs. Didn't Elvis used to sing gospel songs sometimes before the recording started? If that's the case then maybe the tapes weren't rolling at the time.

BTW Ger I want to tell how much I like your books and it's great to have you on board. Long Lonely Highway was one of the first books of Elvis that I bought. I always wondered about photo from 1970 where Elvis is receiving your illustration. I'd love to know more about that story.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:47 pm

So far we have Dave Edmunds, Vince Everett, and Elvis all recording Baby lets play house, in 1968. There is semething wrong with this scenerio. Way too coincidental.

baby, lets play house 68

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:24 am

Hi Marko , My thoughts on a possible studio jam/ warm- up can be read in an earlier message back on page 1.... Story behind 1970 photo : see ASK GER part 2 on this site... Nice comment on my book ! Thanks ! ....EKENEE , you forgot Sleepy laBeef next to Edmunds and Everett . See page 1 of this Topic... Im off to bed , ciao !

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:44 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Hi Marko , My thoughts on a possible studio jam/ warm- up can be read in an earlier message back on page 1....

Oops! I read it before but forgot it.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:48 am

Mr. Tallhair

While you watched the Clint, I went thru my old Strictly Mags. I only have # 3-4-5 from 1968. But in number 4-5, in section "News of the month", they wrote ; "Still no information from RCA on the RE-recording of Baby Lets Play House, Although several DJs all over USA have copies and are playing them".

Strictly Elvis, is my alltime E-mag, if you ever run across any buy them, they are worth it!

Anyway, we all know that this story, covered in SE was a rumor no one could cover for. It might have been the 1968 release of the original BLPH recording on Gold Standard, this time on a red Lable. We don't think that any DJ in 1968, had a single version of a rerecorded song none of us have heard yet (2005) do we?

Hi, but no smoke without fire right? Ger is on to something. In stead of denying with no research... anyone who have the issues of SE that I don't have please take a look. You might clear this up.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:11 am

CD-collector2004 wrote:Mr. Tallhair

While you watched the Clint, I went thru my old Strictly Mags. I only have # 3-4-5 from 1968. But in number 4-5, in section "News of the month", they wrote ; "Still no information from RCA on the RE-recording of Baby Lets Play House, Although several DJs all over USA have copies and are playing them".

Strictly Elvis, is my alltime E-mag, if you ever run across any buy them, they are worth it!

Anyway, we all know that this story, covered in SE was a rumor no one could cover for. It might have been the 1968 release of the original BLPH recording on Gold Standard, this time on a red Lable. We don't think that any DJ in 1968, had a single version of a rerecorded song none of us have heard yet (2005) do we?

Hi, but no smoke without fire right? Ger is on to something. In stead of denying with no research... anyone who have the issues of SE that I don't have please take a look. You might clear this up.

The point about DJs playing it is supported by the letter published in the Sept '68 EM, as I mentioned in another post. As the letter makes a point of saying how different Elvis' voice is, the idea of it being a reissue of the original is undermined. Having said that, I agree that it would be very bizarre for the disc to exist and still not to have surfaced all these years later. Anyone know of Patricia M. Patterson of Seattle (the letter writer)? It's a long shot, but if she has the name of the DJ, perhaps he's still broadcasting somewhere (likely an oldies station) and could be contacted.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:32 am

TJ -

The story doesn't hold water, does it ?

If there was a newly-recorded Elvis version of an old song circulated to DJ's in 1968, we'd all know about it, wouldn't we ?

Word would have got out to the Elvis world by now !

Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:36 am

ColinB wrote:TJ -Word would have got out to the Elvis world by now !

Are you sure though Colin!

I've found lot's of interviews that have been published or released in the past, and totally forgotten about, and never even mentioned! But I agree, audio is different

Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:20 am

As I said I don't belive there is a record out there, but if it's on tape somewhere that would be fun. Keith is right, who really knows. Over the years a lot of rare stuff have been released, that we thought was long lost or never recorded.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:59 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Do anybody remember a story that was featured in Elvis Monthly in 1968 where US fans mentioned hearing Elvis sing Baby, Lets Play House during a recoding session that year ? It was labeled BLPH 68 by the fans who had been there and heard it . For a while there was talk in EM this new version was to be released on record.... Did they hear it as part of an unrecorded studio jam / warm up that day ? Thats about all I can remember. It wasnt a bull.... story , that I know for sure . Anybody who wants to dig thru his EM s from 68-69 ? Gave away mine ages ago .

Though BLPH appeared on paperwork planned for rehearsal at "Binder-Howe Productions offices" (June 17-19), no tape from this event survived.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:06 am

ColinB wrote:TJ -

The story doesn't hold water, does it ?

If there was a newly-recorded Elvis version of an old song circulated to DJ's in 1968, we'd all know about it, wouldn't we ?

Word would have got out to the Elvis world by now !

If I had to bet yes or no, I'd say no it doesn't exist, simply because it hasn't surfaced. But I wouldn't 100% dismiss the possibility, as it's quite odd that there are separate stories of people hearing it being sung in the studio and DJs having the record - presumably in promo form.

baby, lets play house 68

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:10 pm

Impressed by all your research and messages [ for more good clean fun, read my other topic on this mb : Elvis Shocked New Born Christian Out of Shoes ! ] Right now cant think of anything else to add . But its been a heep of fun so far. More than Priscilla s facelift I hope ?!

Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:23 pm

Of course he did have a stab at BLPH during the TTWII '70 rehearsals.
rick

baby, lets play house 68

Sun Jul 17, 2005 4:12 pm

Considering I was spot-on with the story behind the long forgotten 1968 NBC version of Blue Moon of Kentucky [ read page 1 ; message from dr. John, friday jul. 15 11:09 am and my reply from 12: 56 pm that same day ! My memory regarding a 1974 story [ see topic "Elvis Shocks ", elsewhere on the mb ] was pretty much spot-on as well ! Yes, I still have faith my memory on Play House is correct.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:43 pm

BTW was it not another "orange" guy who claimed he in the 70's have heard "Uncle Pen" and others Sun rareties in Memphis, what's his name?? Ger, I bet you must have knowen or know this guy? Give us a little background, if you please.

Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:26 pm

This is getting so silly.

We have 1968 version of Baby, Let's Play House recorded in Nashville and sent to DJ's as a promo :!:

Pity that no one - but no one - has ever seen a copy or is there a tape circulating.

Pity that it does not appear on any RCA logs that Ernst, Tunzi or Sebastion have sighted.

Get off the grass and use some rational part of your brains!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:38 am

I wouldn't mind getting in touch with this guy! He claims to have heard all these songs by Elvis in 1971!

This is a scan from "Elvis Monthly (#135 - April 1971)

Ernst!, Roger!, have you spoken to him?

Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:16 am

Very very very interesting article keith. the only thing that hasn't come out yet is the sun era stuff. Note is says these were taken from radio broadcasts, ie hayride, and not sun studio recordings. NO wonder these songs have been rumored for so many years. This all seems very intriguing. I believe it exists. Very cool. Perhaps one day we will hear this stuff.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:20 am

Keith -

Thanks for the article.

If the 'Sun' songs mentioned are from radio broadcasts, it is strange that they aren't documented [by Tunzi or anyone else] as having been sung on Hayride.

BTW "Gone Oakie Boogie" is two songs !

It would be great for these titles to surface one day, but somehow, I don't think so..................

baby, lets play house 68

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:02 pm

The rumor reg. those unknown Hayride recordings is just not true . Sorry!

Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:57 pm

Hi Ger,

I see you get a lot of attension these days. It's been awile since I've been on this great MB hosted by the FECC. And there are so many great topics and you had to mention God? Okay I know your irony and that you like to provoke. Guys, Ger is great guy and super fan, the best in layout, when it comes to books. (When will we do another one? :D ) And I know Ger will hate me for this, but he did not mean to harm anyone. Ger have been around in the Elvis world, we've to give him credit for that.

Henrik

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Do anybody remember a story that was featured in Elvis Monthly in 1968 where US fans mentioned hearing Elvis sing Baby, Lets Play House during a recoding session that year ?

The rumour has been out there for years, but the song proves more elusive.

Given how little fanfare was paid to the official release of a 1968 version of "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" -- on the very first FTD, Burbank 68 -- one suspects that another SUN cut redone in that FANTASTIC 1968 voice will also be greeted by the sounds of silence.

DJC

And I still hear disparaging comments from some fans about that great debut FTD, "Burbank '68." It's almost as some fans can't handle this "raw" era of Elvis. Throw in poor fidelity, and you lose some fans completely...

I hope I'm over-stating this tendency.