All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:11 am

Do anybody remember a story that was featured in Elvis Monthly in 1968 where US fans mentioned hearing Elvis sing Baby, Lets Play House during a recoding session that year ? It was labeled BLPH 68 by the fans who had been there and heard it . For a while there was talk in EM this new version was to be released on record.... Did they hear it as part of an unrecorded studio jam / warm up that day ? Thats about all I can remember. It wasnt a bull.... story , that I know for sure . Anybody who wants to dig thru his EM s from 68-69 ? Gave away mine ages ago .

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:24 am

Well If Elvis really rehearsed, recorded or tried again and the tape exists somewhere that would be great!!!!

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:46 am

Yes I had read about this years ago as well. don't know what to make of it. it is just another of the rumored things out there.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:58 am

I´ve just heard and nothing happened to me.... :shock:

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:21 am

From memory Todd Slaughter even suggested an alblum title with other tracks including "Greensleeves".

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:07 am

John -

Not been drinking, have we ?

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:30 am

No, it wasnt Droopy Eyes LaBeef. The fans actualy mentioned standing outside the recording studio when they heard it being sung by Elvis. Other songtitles were mentioned as well, trouble is I cant remember which ones! if one was GREENSLEEVES - a tune everybody could reconize and name- then it could have been the Stay Away [ aka Greensleeves ] session from Jan. 68 in Nashville ? "We have enough material for a Party album [or words close to that... ] are being said from the control room after [was it ? ] the impromto Wings of an Angel ? Was BLPH yet another " fun " song that didnt get recorded onto tape that day ? That could explain it has never turned up ?But I could be wrong altogeter ? Find these Elvis Monthlies pronto !

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:35 am

I believe that it was established at some point that it was the version by Vince Everett (Marvin Benefield) that confused these fans.

No point in reviving all those silly old rumours.

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:52 am

Humble apologies mr. Legend ! Next time I will ask for your permission first.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:02 am

Well, if that means that we can be spared from yet another one of those "Feelings" threads, then yes, I'm all for it. :wink:

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:46 am

I know the story behind the Vince Everett version your majesty. Like you I read Now DIG This [ touche ! ] . But.... BLPH was again tried two years later at the TTWII rehearsels . Correct ? Sorry for taking up some of your precious time .

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:13 am

I don’t know what it is you’re getting at, your innuendos and below-the-belt remarks are lost on me.. can’t you have a discussion based on simple facts?

You are also showing your childishness by referring to me as royalty, which I presume is some sort of revenge for the fact that I referred to you as ‘King Gerr’ last week.

If you really believe that EP cut a full studio version ‘Baby Let’s Play House’ in ’68, and that there is some sort of bizarre plot going on by BMG to keep that a secret, well then that’s your choice. The fact that he jammed on it in ’70 is i.m.o. no proof at all. He also did stuff like ‘I Was The One’ and ‘Don’t’… are you saying that he also recorded full studio versions of those in ’68?

:wink:
Last edited by Rock Legend on Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:38 am

Legend , You dont like me and I dont like you either . But lets not use this mb for private wars.... Over and out .

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:44 am

OK, that's fair enough.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:45 am

Rock Legend wrote:If you really believe that EP a full studio version ‘Baby Let’s Play House’ in ’68, and that there is some sort of bizarre plot going on by BMG to keep that a secret, well then that’s your choice. The fact that he jammed on it in ’70 is i.m.o. no proof at all. He also did stuff like ‘I Was The One’ and ‘Don’t’… are you saying that he also recorded full studio versions of those in ’68?

Let's not forget Cattle Call.

I believe there is a plot by BMG to keep that lost gem from us.

The nerve of them!

Re: baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:09 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Do anybody remember a story that was featured in Elvis Monthly in 1968 where US fans mentioned hearing Elvis sing Baby, Lets Play House during a recoding session that year ?

The rumour has been out there for years, but the song proves more elusive.

Given how little fanfare was paid to the official release of a 1968 version of "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" -- on the very first FTD, Burbank 68 -- one suspects that another SUN cut redone in that FANTASTIC 1968 voice will also be greeted by the sounds of silence.

DJC

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:10 pm

Ger -

I used to love those old Elvis Monthlies.

But they printed some rubbish sometimes.

I remember Albert Hand telling us not to worry that Elvis' new film was another musical stating:

"The colonel never makes a mistake !"

"Never gets it right" would have been nearer the truth !

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:47 pm

Yes , I do damn well know Ernst is not witholding anything of interest from us . Having re-read my messages I have not once claimed he did re-record Play House , I just picked up on a story that in part I remembered having read 37 years ago ! So I did add some private thoughts to it and said I could be all wrong ?! But what the heck , is it so impossible Elvis performed BLPH for fun during a session in 68 while no tape machine was running to record it ? Mailing a WISH list for a possible On Tour 3 dvd set is a more realistic topic I guess ? Did I ever tell about the time [ early 80s ] when I was a guest at Andrew Solt his office on Sunset Blvd and watched HOURS of unseen OT fooage ? I didnt, did I ? See you around ! Have a nice weekend.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:22 pm

I think it´s possible Elvis did BLPH and many others....who knows??
Just like "Wings Of An Angel". This was in a tape and probably something else in this tape....alternative takes from known songs and why not "unreleased songs" or rehearsals?????
In Elvis world everything is possible!

Best Regards
Renan.

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 pm

Having read dr. J. C s message after I had already finished mine , dare I say that I knew about the BMOK version since....1968 ! In a newsletter from Judy Palmer this title was being mentioned by her as part of long list with songs performd by Elvis while she was in the studio ! Years later some of these "We know it all fans " could tell you Judy couldnt tell her ears from her a... and NO 68 version of Blue M o K did exist ! Justice for Judy .

Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:49 pm

I have the monthlies from this period and have asked in the past on this board whether anyone knows more about this version. In the El Topics section of the Sept 1968 issue (EM 104), Patricia M. Patterson of Seattle wrote:

"I know you will be as tickled as I am to hear this news. One of our D.J's here in Seattle received a record from a friend of his in Nashville, it is the only one in the whole of the Pacific Northwest, and isn't even in the stores yet. Well now that I have you all excited guess what it is - O.K, I'll tell you - it's a NEW re-recording of Baby Let's Play House (one of my all time favourites) by the KING, and it's even better than the first recording of this song. El's voice is deeper and he puts the same devilment in this one as the original, and all those sexy throaty tones. Just wait until you hear it, hope it will be released real soon. This fellow told the D.J. that Elvis is planning on re-recording several of his early hits. Now if that isn't good news, I don't know what is."

I don't know what to make of that, but as it apppeared in the Sept '68 issue, it seems a little too soon after the event to be referring to anything recorded during the 1968 tv special in June. The letter would have been submitted quite a while before publication and I don't think there would have been time for a guy in Nashville to have a copy of anything to distribute. It was probably a soundalike on the record.

As for the 1968 version of BMOK not creating a storm, perhaps that's because it was pretty awful.

Re: baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:41 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:I watched HOURS of unseen OT fooage

Me too. Well, the Greensboro show anyway.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:33 pm

Ger could it possibly be this article that you remember reading?

It was published in the 1970 "Elvis Special"

'BABY LET'S PLAY HOUSE' REVISITED
D.J. Westney imagines ELVIS reminiscing

Well that's finished!
Thirteen years ago I was recording "Baby Let's Play House" down home, at Memphis, under the supervision of Sam Philips for "Sun" records. Now again I've recorded it, this time what a difference. The first time was just a handful of stand-in musicians, now it's the full treatment; the whole of R.C.A., Nashville's great guitarists to pick from —just everybody; people like Hank Garland, Jerry Reed and even Chet Atkins would come along. Now there's The Jordanaires, whom I've known for so long it seems strange to think that at the time I first recorded "Baby Let's Play House" that the group I'd admired for so long. The Jordanaires, should two years later be backing me! The Imperials Quartet were also around in case extra help was required for the recording. It's nice to record an old one again. My, hasn't my voice altered!
My voice seems deeper, naturally, now more resonant and matured, for those early rough edges have largely disappeared. Sometimes I wish they hadn't, but I suppose it's a good thing, variety is the spice of life, and now I can sing a wider choice of songs, take that "Just Call Me Lonesome", for example; I think that as it comes out much higher than I normally sing. yeah, that's a good song!
Ah! The early days in the "Sun" studios when Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and young Roy Orbison were there we used to back each other and have those jam sessions, what a laugh! Good old "Dewey" for playing my records - great times. I'd go down to his studio and say a few things over the air, "You'd better believe it." (We all know, of course, that shortly after Elvis re-recorded "Baby Let's Play House" Dewey Phillips died on September 28th, 1968.)
There was "Kid Emerson" down at Memphis - he was a good songwriter, and he's still writing songs today, what was that one of his I recorded - ah, yes, "When It Rains It Really Pours". That was a Blues song. great sound. I wonder if I should re-record that one also - still the original was delayed ten years before that came out. I can't wait that long again. "Blue Suede Shoes" that's one of the few I've re-recorded. I still prefer the earlier version, it's more lively, and the backing was more spontaneous for this kind of song. Yes, Carl Perkins you did me a good turn in writing that song — mind you, I've made it up to you in royalties by re-recording it on "G.I. Blues" album. Pity it was so short in the film, I re-recorded it more in the original vein, as done by Carl Perkins himself.
"Hound Dog" — I can't forget those thirty-two energy-sapping takes on this record before deciding we had a good one. The Jordanaires were with me on this one. "Hound Dog" always went down so well on stage I suppose it's part of me now.
"Love Me Tender" I'll never forget - my first film! Boy, did I 'sound "green", a pure country yokel, but I enjoyed the film and I did try hard! The song itself I prefer to forget, I like the song, but on record I sang it flat - I never wanted that version to be issued - but it did sell a million.
"Jailhouse Rock" - unforgettable - but "Baby I Don't Care" stands out in my mind. Leiber and Stoller were great songwriters - they were unsurpassable.
Poor old Bing Crosby - I'd spoilt his "White Christmas", or so the critics said, but he only commented by saying, "That lad's a pool of talent" - I'll always remember that. "White Christmas" went down big on the "Ed Sullivan Show", those were great shows, but times have changed, and so have I.
"A Fool Such As I", another great song. I remember hearing it first of all by Jo Stafford in 1952, and then it became a Country and Western standard — well, I had to be different; in fact, I was very pleased with Ray Walker (Bass) of The Jordanaires on this - he really makes the disc! An all-time favourite of mine.
Then came the Army. Well, it was a change from show business, in a way. Still that's how I first met Priscilla, but I wonder how that German girl - what's her name - is getting on? Hope she still likes my records!
Out of the Army again and "A Mess Of Blues". I liked this, written by Pomus and Shuman, two of my favourite songwriters. This is the type of song I really like, I've a kinda bias towards Country-Blues, not forgetting Spirituals, of course.
"It's Now Or Never", wonderful song really gave me a challenge. I had to sing on that record, the song demanded it. I'll always felt sort of proud of that one.
Then the film songs came fast and furious, disappointing really, because I had little choice in the selection. They have to fit into the film well. "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" would hardly fit over the credits of "Blue Hawaii" film would it!
"His Hand In Mine" L.P. - I'd always wanted to do a religious album, but my first attempt was the E.P. "Peace In The Valley", but on "His Hand In Mine" I actually arranged and adapted many songs - myself. I think I still like "Known Only To Him", it's a wonderful hymn, and I couldn't help but sing it sincerely, because I really did mean what I sang. After the Army my voice seemed to have gone a little higher, maybe that's why I sang this at a higher pitch than normal.
Still more films, the end of "live" appearances, but still more recordings. What about "Suspicion", once again by Pomus and Shuman, it's a fantastic song. It must have been, for I remember Terry Stafford did his version of this song, and it topped the American charts.
Then after a period of sweet sentimental songs such as "I'll Remember You" I became kinda restless of these types of songs, although I enjoyed recording the "Fun In Acapuico" and "Spinout" albums as these contained some excellent songs. But I wanted to go back to the music I liked deep down.
In 1966 I started towards my goal by recording another religious album, "How Great Thou Art". I received tremendous satisfaction from this album, having arranged and adapted many of the items myself. "Somebody Bigger Than You And I" - I liked this, because the wonderful Mario Lanza had previously recorded it, so I thought I'd have to do something special on this, and I recorded it in a deeper than usual voice, yet still retained the religious message in the song.
That Bob Dylan song 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time" even longer than my old favourite "Old Shep". I wish that the Bob Dylan song had been issued as a single, perhaps it was too long, but I wanted the fans to know I was ready to change my style back to the music I liked the most, and this is a very meaningful song - about the best written by Dylan.
After I had invited Willie Mitchell and various coloured groups to play at my parties I began to grow almost "homesick" for these type of songs. It was with this in mind that I recorded the Jimmy Reed standard "Big Boss Man", one of the many Negro songs I liked. Then Jerry Reed, the great guitarist and songwriter from Nashville, came up with "Guitar Man" for me, and that settled it - it was part of me! I love it, and I think some of my exhuberance comes out on the record.
The fantastic "U.S. Male" has followed, and now I've recorded recently many in the original Country-Blues world. While thinking of what to record, I turned the clock back again and thought what a great song "Baby Let's Play House" is ALL OVER AGAIN!!

baby, lets play house 68

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks Keith but its a no . Never laid eyes on that fantasy story before .

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:18 pm

Dave Edmunds did a version of Baby Let's Play House in 1968 and it sounds a lot like Elvis. As you all probably know he is known to have been trying to recreate the Sun sound. So I think it's likely that somebody thought it was Elvis on that record. I don't know when it was first released but it was included on some album in the 80s I think. On the cover it said that this song was recorded in 1968.