All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:00 am

Pete -

You wrote:
If that's the case then vote in Prince Charles as Prime Minister.

I don't think the constitution allows that.

Anyway, politicians need an understanding of the workings of the country & its people.

Kinda rules out the royal family, doesn't it ?

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:41 am

ColinB wrote:
Anyway, politicians need an understanding of the workings of the country & its people.

Kinda rules out the royal family, doesn't it ?

By that criteria it kinda rules out most politicians as well Colin!

Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:40 am

Keith Richards is a hoot on this DVD.....the walking dead!

jeff R

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:25 pm

One thing about the dvd that I particularly enjoyed were the bits when Ernst was in the studio listening to and commenting on the recordings. Not only were his comments perceptive, but the look on his face when listening gave me the impression that he really gets absorbed in the music, that he is totally caught up in it. I'd love to see him do a similar dvd project with Elvis' other great sessions, or even an overview of classic recordings from throughout Elvis' career.

Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:56 pm

This sounds better than I even expected. I'm going to have to find a copy sooner rather than later. :lol:

You can watch Elvis documentary after documentary and rarely do they discuss or even hint at more behind the scenes things like Chick, or Steve Sholes, let alone current folks like Roger Semon, Ernst Jorgensen, or, say the FTD label...

Even that mini-documentary included in the TTWII Special Edition DVD was over before it started!

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:58 am

Talk about a Homer Simpson moment...

I remember seeing this DVD on the shelves at my part-time job when it was first released somewhere over a year ago. I never was compelled to buy it because there wasn't much discussion about it when it first came out on this board or any of the others. I figured it was just a passable fluff piece with nothing new or exciting in it. Little did I know how much praise you guys would give it now. And to think I could have got it with my employee discount for about 6 or 7 bucks, and now have to shell out 15 for it on Amazon.

D'Oh! indeed.

Re: classic

Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:59 pm

see-see-rider wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Together with Elvis 56 THE BEST documentary EVER!

I second that. Classic Albums is absolutely great and essential. Great main feature, great bonus section.

This is a little off-topic but does anybody here have another title of the same "Classic Albums"-series?

I have the one for Motorhead Ace Of Spades :D It is not only a great insight into a great heavy rock album , but one of the funniest thinks I've seen in ages. Been watching a lots of these on the Biography Channel and will try and pick up a few more on DVD particularly the Elvis one and The Who one

Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:01 pm

I agree. "Classic Albums: Elvis Presley" is an absolutely must-have for any serious Elvis fan ... it's so amazing listening to Peter Guralnick! That guy is incredible! I'd love to spend an evening with him ... just talking (not, what you think, my dear)!

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:09 pm

Paul wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:

I second that. Classic Albums is absolutely great and essential. Great main feature, great bonus section.

This is a little off-topic but does anybody here have another title of the same "Classic Albums"-series?

I have the one for Motorhead Ace Of Spades :D It is not only a great insight into a great heavy rock album , but one of the funniest thinks I've seen in ages. Been watching a lots of these on the Biography Channel and will try and pick up a few more on DVD particularly the Elvis one and The Who one

Like I said above: I have "Electric Ladyland" by Jimi Hendrix in the series.

Motorhead made "classic albums"? :lol:

Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:56 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Paul wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:

Like I said above: I have "Electric Ladyland" by Jimi Hendrix in the series.

Motorhead made "classic albums"? :lol:

:D LOL

Maybe not everybody would agree that it is a classic album but in heavy rock circles it certainly is :D

OUT or WOT

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:37 pm

I say chaps,

Re: that jolly nice classic album dvd thingy - Is it me being freightfully British, but does one fell the lip-sych is out just a smidge dear boy?

If not it must be me'ol lug-holes ain't it !?!?!? :lol:

Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:40 pm

I think he meant to write: Machinehead

the classic "Smoke on the Water/Space Truckin'/Maybe I'm a Leo/Highway Star" album by Deep Purple

8)

another classic album is Hair Of The Dog - by Nazareth

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:00 pm

RyanD wrote:Talk about a Homer Simpson moment...

I remember seeing this DVD on the shelves at my part-time job when it was first released somewhere over a year ago. I never was compelled to buy it because there wasn't much discussion about it when it first came out on this board or any of the others. I figured it was just a passable fluff piece with nothing new or exciting in it. Little did I know how much praise you guys would give it now. And to think I could have got it with my employee discount for about 6 or 7 bucks, and now have to shell out 15 for it on Amazon.

D'Oh! indeed.

Ryan,
I saw it on the shelf at the local used DVD store for $4 and didn't get it for the same reason you mentioned. I went back the next day and it was long gone. Had to pay $10 at Wally Mart.

Tom

Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:16 pm

Just ordered it on amazon.ca...
I never had any idea this was an essential...
Is it a good companion DVD to Elvis '56?
Last edited by elvis-fan on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:59 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Just ordered it on amazon.ca...
I never had any idea this was an essential...
It is a good companion DVD to Elvis '56?

It is Brad. I'd say it's a must have!

Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:35 am

I also ordered the "He Touched Me" set which I've been considering for some
time but never went ahead with picking it up.
This may not be an essential but it'll make a nice addition to my collection.
:)

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:16 am

Pete Dube wrote:Ok, I've got it! Stopped at Wal-Mart on the way back in to the office from my inspections. Even got it for a little cheaper price than in the store I was in last night. Lookin' forward to seeing it. Thanks for all the comments (except for WoodleyJohn's 'thankfully I'm not an American').

Hey Pete.......any chance of you getting out to my house and inspecting my pool so these idiots can move me past the "My backyard looks like a cratered replica of the Lunar landing site" stage??? :evil:

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:30 pm

I agree that this is essential. One of the best documentaries ever. And in widescreen too!

Judging from the cover it doesn't look like much and it took me a while to get it. When I saw it I couldn't believe it was so good. I want more DVDs like this one!

Yes it does cover songs other than those on the album but they were recorded at the same time for singles so I think it's OK. I hope the coming Anthology will be on the same level.

Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:40 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I also ordered the "He Touched Me" set which I've been considering for some

I would definately consider "He Touched Me" essential, just like the "Classic Album" DVD - good stuff :D

Rich

Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:56 pm

I've seen the "He Touched Me" many times on public television, but look forward to getting the DVD in time.

There's another version of that set with him circa '56 (from "Love Me Tender") that seems to be a slightly better cover. Not to complain too much, but that sixties shot makes you think it's about his '60s movies.

Surely there was a more "inspired" still shot that would have better captured the contents.

Oh well. None of us work for EPE. :wink:

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:39 am

Superb DVD. It has more than what you see on the the Television. HE TOUCHED ME is on 2 DVD discs set.

Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:27 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I also ordered the "He Touched Me" set which I've been considering for some

I would definately consider "He Touched Me" essential, just like the "Classic Album" DVD - good stuff :D

Rich

That great Rich. Thanks.
I'm glad I picked it up.

Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:36 am

Brad,

The only flaw with this documentary on DVD, is that some of the songs/scenes are repeated. It sorta gives an impression, that they did that on purpose - so it would be a two DVD set. Otherwise, everything else about it is top-notch.

Will this be the first time you ever saw this?

Rich

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:32 pm

I hate when filmmakers "run on empty" like that and expect you not to notice.

By the way, I'm still wowed (and I'm only on disc 5) by the 16-hour "The Definitive Elvis (Revised)" documentary on EPE. Get yourselves a copy while/ if you can ! Don't tell EPE (they sued the makers for use of some footage without permission, even for small clips) but it's one of the most thorough projects on Elvis ever! The way they smartly choose rare photos of Elvis (always fitting, too) whenever someone is talking about Elvis is just so well-done.

Disc 1: The Memphis Years/The Television Years
Disc 2: The Hollywood Years I/The Hollywood Years II
Disc 3: The Army Years/The Memphis Mafia
Disc 4: Elvis and Priscilla/Elvis and the Colonel
Disc 5: The Many Loves of Elvis/The Intimate Loves of Elvis
Disc 6: The Comeback/The Vegas Years
Disc 7: A Man and His Music/The Spiritual Soul of Elvis
Disc 8: Elvis Is Gone/All the King's Disciples: The Fans

Here's occasional FECCer Piers Beagly's review from awhile ago:
The Definitive Elvis (Revised) 8 DVD Set

"This 16 part series promises to be "all-encompassing, in-depth and ground breaking" which is a big challenge to live up to. With those promises in mind I was prepared to be a little disappointed but after watching this thoroughly enjoyable journey through Elvis' life, I can thoroughly recommend this set.

No, it is not 'The Definitive Elvis' but at less than $80 it really is fantastic value for money.

Described as a "Collectors edition - for every Elvis fan" it must presume that we already own the films and the documentaries because it does have its flaws and is a major disappointment in one area - 'Not enough Elvis'!

This is not an EPE production and it seems that the producers have been licensed to use a maximum of 30 seconds of Elvis footage at any one time.

Songs and films are heavily discussed but at no point do we get more than a short clip of Elvis singing, which is positively frustrating.

A case in point would be where the 'Comeback Special' or 'Aloha' is talked about in detail yet we never get a complete clip from either show!

The importance of "If I Can Dream" is paramount to chapter 11 'The Comeback' yet, where it seems obvious that the programme has to end with Elvis' dynamic performance of the song, we only get a 15 second clip.

The bonus however is that we do get some nice amateur footage of Elvis on stage, some rare photos, as well as some fun home movies.

This was made to be a sixteen part TV series - and indeed it is already showing in the US & Europe - and would work better as a weekly show rather than as back to back DVD viewing.
This is definitely made for us Elvis fans where each episode can be followed by the film or performance that is being discussed. I felt that the general public would be better served by documentaries like 'The Great Performances', 'The Man and His Music' etc.

For better appreciation you really need to follow chapter 2 'Television Years' by watching the 'Elvis '56' documentary.
Similarly 'The Vegas Years' desperately needs to be followed by a viewing of 'That's The Way It Is'.

'The Hollywood Years' uses great clips from most of his movies but where a definitive performance like the 'Jailhouse Rock' number is discussed in depth, we are never allowed to appreciate it in its entirety which left me feeling frustrated and reaching for my own copy of the film.

However, approached in the right way, this DVD series is a thoroughly captivating investigation and is full of fascinating interviews.

Tackling almost every aspect of Elvis' life in its 16 episodes it is hard to give an overall view.

Episode 1 'The Memphis Years' starts fabulously with lovely old footage of the Southern States perfectly setting the era. There are great photos of Elvis that I have never seen before and the programme correctly acknowledges the importance of Sun Studios pre-Elvis, with the first Rock n' Roll record 'Rocket 88' being recorded there in 1951.

Dewey Phillips is acknowledged along with the significance of Beale Street & Memphis itself, as well as mentioning the 'first all black' radio station, WDIA.

This was an important melting pot of musical styles that Elvis absorbed to create the sound that would change the world.
Over 200 exclusive interviews were carried out for this project and it is a highlight hearing the great reminisces of friends like George Klein, along with girlfriends (Dixie Locke, Anita Wood, Connie Stevens etc), co-stars and even Eddy Arnold (who The Col managed before Elvis)!

There is too much to go into in full detail but I found some episodes were excellent while others were a little inadequate.
An episode like 'The Television Years' disappoints in the lack of actual Elvis footage used. - Just as Elvis starts singing the fabulous 'Love Me' on the Ed Sullivan Show it is faded out and incredibly both the '68 Comeback Special' and 'Aloha' are wrapped up in the last 2 minutes of the show, while the 1977 'In Concert' isn't even mentioned! This episode really should have been called 'The Early TV Years'.

Similarly the 'Elvis and Priscilla' chapter is frustrating since it doesn't feature Priscilla herself at all!

The Executive Consultant is Joe Esposito which gives the series its 'flavour' - 'Diamond' Joe always seems to be too keen to say what you want to hear whereas I've always appreciated someone like Red West's down to earth honesty.

Not suprisingly, knowing the relationship between them, Red West is not featured here at all. Having an episode on 'The Memphis Mafia' without any interview with Red is as strange as having Priscilla missing from the programme about Elvis and her.

But I don't want to be too negative as there are enough brilliant and illuminating new interviews that fully compensate for the lack of the few important figures.

Charlie Hodge has some good anecdotes, as do Sonny West and the charming George Klein who was there from the very start.
Other interviews that may surprise you are Vicky Tiu (the young child in 'World's Fair'), Elvis' double & friend Lance LeGault (Did Elvis really get pushed off that diving board in Viva Las Vegas?!), and a fascinating array of co-stars.

Teri Garr, Celeste Yarnall (A Little Less Conversation), Juliet Prowse etc tell us about what fun it was to work with Elvis. A nice change was also hearing how Stella Stevens (Girls,G, G) found it so unpleasant working with him!

I particularly enjoyed the new interviews with people like Mac Davis writer of 'In The Ghetto' & 'A Little Less Conversation' (written for Aretha Franklin!). Bill Medley (of the Righteous Brothers) also tells some great stories along with Steve Binder (producer of the Comeback Special), Hal Kanter (director of 'Loving You'), Linda Thompson and too many others to mention. Bill Medley, of course, sang the Righteous Brothers definitive 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling' and was a friend of Elvis'. How dynamic would it have been to have heard him and Elvis duet on the song?

An episode like 'A Man and His Music' will disappoint in the fact that it doesn't ever play the songs in their entirety. The importance of 'An American Trilogy' is discussed as well as 'My Way' but we only get to see a few seconds of each song. This is where the astounding (and EPE licensed) documentary "He Touched Me - The gospel music of Elvis Presley" really shines in comparison.

But chapters like 'The Spiritual Soul of Elvis' and 'Elvis and The Colonel' (where music clips of Elvis aren't so important) definitely compensate.

The 'Spiritual Soul' is a good look at all sides of Elvis' mystical fascination and will probably enlighten a lot of fans who might know nothing of his flirtation with The Teachings of Yogananda or his interest in other esoteric religions.

'Elvis and The Colonel' is a fascinating look at the Carny Hustler who made Elvis "The World's Greatest Star" while at the same time walking away with far more earnings than the Star himself! Lots of people comment on what a dislikeable & manipulative man he was at times, while it is fascinating to hear his (last) wife Loanne talk about the gentler side of him.

A great programme but again I really missed hearing Red West's comments to compensate for Diamond Joe's opinion that just seems to be far too nice. Joe was no doubt in the pay of both The Col and Elvis at the same time! (Priscilla describes him as The Col's 'spy' in her book).

'The Day The Music Died' tackles the sad ending, talking about Elvis' health problems as well as featuring fascinating 1977 interview footage with Joe Esposito along with the awful side of Sonny West & Dave Hebler promoting their dreadful book.

This episode is very sad in its honesty. It features Elvis' dreadful, drugged, ramblings from 'The Desert Storm' concert and girlfriend Sheila Ryan is frighteningly honest in saying that they were all playing the game "Let's pretend that Elvis isn't dying". Really sad and shameful stuff.

It's true that you can't help a man that won't help himself and Joe is honest in saying that Red West did try telling Elvis that "He had to clean up his act" and earnt a torrent of abuse in doing it. We will always wonder whether they could have done more. It is also a little odd when Joe talks of the shame of Elvis' cousin taking the last photo of him lying in the coffin and then, bizarrely, proceeds to show us.

Another major gripe of mine is that the introductory image to each chapter, which is of Elvis stepping through a door, is obviously an impersonator! Surely there are a thousand Elvis images that would have been better suited?

Similarly, and this is hard to fathom, the very final image of the series (admittedly it is in the final chapter about his fans) is also not of Elvis himself!

But overall, the quality of the clips are excellent DVD viewing which is really refreshing and I couldn't help myself but had to sit down and watch the first 5 hours in one sitting!

It can't be "The Definitive Elvis" but it is a great companion to all those concerts, films and documentaries that you already own and is a thoroughly entertaining 16 hours! And, best of all, great value for money." - Piers Beagley

Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:42 pm

How much did you pay for the dvd set?

Sincerely MB280E