All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:25 pm

I got mine for about forty-five or fifty bucks earlier this year.

For those who've asked, you do have to hunt around, but EPE never went around getting all the copies, so they're still available on some sites.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:07 am

It's a shame and disgrace that EPE can't come out with something wonderful like this but when someone else do, they get sued. Instead they came up with a piece of sh*t in the form of the crappy CBS Mini-Series starring that horrible Jonathan Dork who's a Ben Stiller look alike. Makes me want to vomit.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:40 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Brad,

The only flaw with this documentary on DVD, is that some of the songs/scenes are repeated. It sorta gives an impression, that they did that on purpose - so it would be a two DVD set. Otherwise, everything else about it is top-notch.

Will this be the first time you ever saw this?

Rich

I caught the 1-hour version on PBS but I have yet to see the DVD.
I'll keep an eye out for the repeats. Thanks again.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:52 pm

CD King wrote:It's a shame and disgrace that EPE can't come out with something wonderful like this but when someone else do, they get sued. Instead they came up with a piece of sh*t in the form of the crappy CBS Mini-Series starring that horrible Jonathan Dork who's a Ben Stiller look alike. Makes me want to vomit.

Well put. I was half-prepared to dislike "The Definitive Elvis" DVDs, thinking they were a slightly-budget project that would surely cut corners.

Instead, I discovered

(a) it was made by real documentary makers who view it as a craft, took pride in their work, carefully weaving the proper photos, etc.

and

(b) the same makers clearly had to like Elvis, or better, were fans of a sort!

You wouldn't know either from watching EPE projects like that biopic!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:25 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
CD King wrote:It's a shame and disgrace that EPE can't come out with something wonderful like this but when someone else do, they get sued. Instead they came up with a piece of sh*t in the form of the crappy CBS Mini-Series starring that horrible Jonathan Dork who's a Ben Stiller look alike. Makes me want to vomit.

Well put. I was half-prepared to dislike "The Definitive Elvis" DVDs, thinking they were a slightly-budget project that would surely cut corners.

Instead, I discovered

(a) it was made by real documentary makers who view it as a craft, took pride in their work, carefully weaving the proper photos, etc.

and

(b) the same makers clearly had to like Elvis, or better, were fans of a sort!

You wouldn't know either from watching EPE projects like that biopic!

Good one CD King! lol

I was pleased with this boxset as well, I wished I had got the first version though, as I guess it had even more "fan shot footage" and I think some Sullivan perfomances that were cut. That said this is still a great set. The Gathier home video shown above "He Touched Me" DVD set is also a must have IMO.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:37 pm

Jeff, is your DEFINITIVE ELVIS the one that says "Revised" or not?

I'm not done watching mine. Hope I have the better one!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:43 pm

Mine is the "Revised" verson, this is the one with the cut footage, that apparently the Ed Sullivan estate and EPE made them cut footage from.

JEFF d
Elvis fan
Last edited by JEFF d on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:17 pm

I think I saw "Revised" on mine, but the lawsuit banned the whole enchilada.

My 12- hour set has such clips used. What they did was try to use just 20-30 seconds (relying on the "fair use" doctrine) but the judge said even that was too much. Pity.

Here's more information on the case known as "Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. et. al. vs. Passport Video et. al.," :shock: :shock: :lol:

http://www.ivanhoffman.com/fair5.html

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:31 pm

Was that what they ended up doing was making them take it completly off the market? That don't surprise me.

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:46 pm

Yes, it's "officially" taken off the market now as a result, but copies remain out there, so happy hunting, people!

Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:38 am

The DVD set I have says "DVD 8000 Approx. 16 Hours. 2002 All Rights Reserved."
It doesn't appear to be the revised version and I recall ordering and receiving this set long before the lawsuit was made public.
It came with a 2CD set of interviews.
Greg, are you saying the revised version clipped 4 hours off???
You can currently buy the set as individual DVD's at http://www.amazon.ca
I haven't seen the set for some time now... I'll have to give them another look-see...

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:14 am

Is the Definitive Elvis footage the same as appeared on Elvis: The Ultimate Collection vols 1 and 2 in the UK? I'm referring to the sets with the sunglasses on the front.

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:46 am

Brad, I took another look at my "Definitive Elvis" DVD set from Passport Video : I was wrong - it is 16 hours! (8 discs with 16 one-hour episodes!). And the box calls this "Revised" but there's no apparent cutting that I can see.

I have seen individual discs for sale in some used shops, but I recommend getting the whole box in one piece.

TJ, I'm not familiar with such a title as you mention, but I'm aware that they did repackage this work into other titles and lengths.

The full one is the one to get! As the box calls it, it's "exhaustive." And they're right!

Some Elvis documentaries are just not dense enough: over-reliance on common newsreel footage ('56 Tupelo, E's wedding etc, '72 MSG press conference.) but this one really packs a wallop by using rare photos. Sure, lots of talking heads, but they are also well-edited. Some interviewees disappear and then reappear episodes later according to the subject. Someone (outside of testing the "fair use doctrine" to an extreme) really took our boy seriously in making this!

It's still not definitive (the ideal one would have full EPE cooperation and not hold back any performances which would enliven it) but they do go pretty far in what they sample and put forth.

The episodes all begin with something that vaguely reminds me of the beginning 1990 young "Elvis" ABC-TV series, for better or for worse, as someone complained. They also seemed to crib a segment from "This Is Elvis" - the scenes about him punching a gas station attendent and the court-room scene. That aside, the rest is rather professional. Put it on your list. A little internet snooping will turn it up for you eventually.

Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:27 am

'Classic Albums' review now on review MB.

and in my review of 'The Definitive Elvis' posted above, it is $80 australian dollars I'm talking about of course. You can now find the set here for less than OZ$40! Great value.

Cheers
Piers