Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:29 pm

BBC 2 - tonight

Elvis Presley

The most photographed

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:36 pm

Cheers Joe..

Some more info below -

The World's Most Photographed
A picture may speak a thousand words, but a photograph can be manipulated, staged and very, very influential just the same. This new series explores the use of photography in the construction of public personae for 10 major figures from history. Kicking off with the king of rock n roll, Elvis Presley, we see how at the peak of his career the singer's image was more carefully packaged than any other star before him. In contrast, Alfred Wertheimer talks about the series of spontaneous, unposed pictures he took of Presley as an unknown singer in New York. 7.30pm. BBC2.

Kevin.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:53 pm

That's 20.30 o'clock Central European Time

Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:42 pm

Thanks Joe, 7.30pm for us. We get BBC2 here in Ireland.

Great publicity for Elvis.

http://www.prleap.com/pr/10030/

most photographed

Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:21 pm

To tie in with the series an exhibition of photographs can now be seen at the national portrait gallery in London . It features several shots coming from my Elvis photo collection , the bare breasted ones taken by Lloyd Shearer in a hotel room at the Peabody , Memphis summer of 1956.... My stuff on display in a museum ! Like really coolsville man !

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:02 pm

Congratulations Ger, well deserved fame. Did you ever think you would see the day?:-)

Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:34 pm

Does anyone know if the photo exhibition will tour in some way? I can't make the London exhibition (or the TV show) but would love to see the photo's. 8)

most photographed

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:55 pm

Sorry for this rather slow reply reg the exhibition in London . Had to find the invitation [ blush ] for the official opening that took place yesterday. It will run till october 20 . Gallery events office nr 020 73122419 Hope BBC did a good job for tonight ! Elvis in the 50 s was THE REAL MAGIC!

most photographed

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:36 pm

DAMN ! BBC should have stuck to the Elvis of the 50s stories and photographs and cut it off in 1960 ! Wertheimer was absolutely brilliant in what he had to say about covering Elvis in 56 . James Reid and Lew Allen had some interesting things to say , But there were far too many factual screw- ups in the dialogue. And those bloody jumpsuit photos at the end will forever kill the few good scenes this programme had to offer....

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:47 pm

Ger,
I do agree.The end spoilt the programme.
I was really getting into it and hoped they were gonna show some more rare photos instead of bad quality trailers.
Like you said, the interviews with the photographers was incredible.
Overall, it was a good show and Elvis came out of it in a good light except the end bit which didnt really need to be said.
I was surprised that they actually used Elvis film clips and music.
Sean

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:07 pm

A really interesting programme. Some factual errors as Ger pointed out but overall Elvis does come out well and Parker comes across as a manipulative old buzzard whose only interest was money. No surprise there then. My main objection was when they said "for the rest of his career Elvis would take on a variety of increasingly exagerrated styles, taking him further and further away from his true self". They accompanied this with shots from the "68 special" and "Thats the way it is". IMO the years 68 - 70 were Elvis getting BACK to his true self not further away.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:54 pm

Delboy wrote:Does anyone know if the photo exhibition will tour in some way? I can't make the London exhibition (or the TV show) but would love to see the photo's. 8)

I wondered too, but I don't think it's traveling~

See the bottom of the page where it only states that it is shown at the one gallery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressr ... phed.shtml

Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:56 pm

bray1977 wrote: IMO the years 68 - 70 were Elvis getting BACK to his true self not further away.

Of course----they are way off base there. He was finally done with that movie contract and probably felt the weight of the world off him.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:02 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff..you pissed you did not get a mention? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:10 am

Can anyone do me a copy of this programme for a 'FOOL,FOOL,FOOL' who missed it? ME ! :cry:

PM me if you can help, thanks. :oops:

most photographed

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:46 am

Good morning all. I was not involved in the making of MP although BBC seriously considered using a heep from my photo collection when they contacted me at the beginning of this year. They made a selection but shortly after dropped plans when I told them I could not claim copyright for each and every photo they had selected. Somewhere along the line the Presley Estate stepped in and threatened the BBC not to use Elvis material before they had seen it and OK it . BBC bowed their heads as they fully suspected the Estate to claim copyright on my material and ask 500 bucks per photo from the BBC. Thats how the Estate eleminate the little people. To be continued...

Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 am

The USA copyright laws need a drastic and speedy overhaul.

EPE should not be so greedy and think about the PR value of a BBC program...just charge a nominal 1 cent per photo.

It's not like they are actually losing any money.

If there was an Elvis Presley International Airport - then EPE would demand landing fees :!:

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:13 am

KiwiAlan wrote:EPE should not be so greedy and think about the PR value of a BBC program...

EPE have had the opportunity to promote Elvis at peak viewing time on the BBC about 19 times this year (with the singles campaign) and missed every one of them.

most photographed

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:00 am

....I was a wee bit too hot tempered last night posting my comment. Sean and Bray did a better job. But theres one HUGE factual error repeated several times that is absolute bull! Parker never ever stopped photographers from doing their job! After the great [ and funny ] Wertheimer many, many others covered Elvis at home [ Shearer ] on tour [ Leviton, Moreland ] and just about everywhere else! Compared to the greedy bast.... from the Estate, Parker had more brains when it came to using all that FREE publicity Elvis got through the zillions of photos made of him. Anyway, overal MP was a pretty decent programme exept for the final few minutes. Can we have one programme in the future without the nasty comments reg. his final years and PLEASE no jumpsuit pix . Sorry, but to me- after circa 25 min. of having watched the ultimate man of 50s COOL - the 70s image just doesnt cut it!

Re: most photographed

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:35 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Sorry, but to me- after circa 25 min. of having watched the ultimate man of 50s COOL - the 70s image just doesnt cut it!

to me being the key words here.

most photographed

Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:48 am

Now Rob, that is a bit agressive for the morning hours isnt it ?

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:04 pm

Seeing this show I realised I became a fan IN the fifties OF the fifties' Elvis.
Saturday at the market one of the used records dealers played the LP "Elvis' golden records, volume 2" over and over again and I felt like that little boy of 12 years old again who first heard those great songs at that time.
And I agree with Ger that showing those jumpsuits and the comment made killed the programm.

most photographed

Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:55 pm

Dank je, Luuk.

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:46 pm

To each his own and I'm sure I'm the minority on this. However, as much as I enjoy Elvis from 1956-57 (for obvious reasons,) I prefer the 1969 Las Vegas comeback period more so.

Probably because that's when I first discovered how great the man was. Whatever the reason, I'll take Vegas '69 over 1957 anyday.

Hi

Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:15 pm

Hi Rob,

I am also a mega fan of Elvis from 1969 onwards. I of course like the Fifties but the Seventies are where it's at, for me personally.
And I don't think we are in the minority, in fact I believe very strongly there are more Seventies fans than Fifties fans.
Vegas '69/'70, Madison Square Garden, Aloha, well how could any Fifties event beat that? :)
Cheers
Simon