All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Best live Version of How Great Thou Art

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:24 am

What would your guys opinion be on this?
It would have to be a date in 74 in my humble opinion. Pre 74 he doesn't seem to have the same power, 75 he seemed to lose a little (although not much) and 76 he seemed to be yelling more than anything else (sorry E, but I think you needed a long deserved break).

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:36 am

My top three favorites are:
Omaha - June 19, 1977
Vegas - December 13, 1975 midnight show
Memphis - June 10, 1975

However....
Cleveland - October 23, 1976 is very good as well.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:50 am

your on the right track Rob....... :lol:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:54 am

My fav would have to be from '75.

It's toss up between Memphis and Dallas!

I don't see, or hear, where Elvis lost any power in '75, if anything, he gained MORE power, IMHO!

I do, however, really like, and think, Elvis gave a splendid performance of this song in Omaha '77 as well...

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:02 am

College Park! :twisted: :wink:

I like the Omaha version. I also find the Portland version from November 1970 interesting. Not the best, but considering he'd just returned to touring and it was a fast paced show it was an interesting inclusion in the set list.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:06 am

I think the version on Just Pretend, from Dec 75 is absolutely stunning, and would stand out as my favourite.

As we all know, Elvis always did this justice. It was great to hear it in my first Elvis The Concert in Manchester recently too.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:32 pm

The Grammy Award winning version from his 1974 live album Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis works mighty fine for me. To me this seems like an elaborated, well sung and beautifully fluent version of the song. Couldn't get any better IMO ...

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:10 pm

Las Vegas, December 13th. 1975 midnight show (maybe the ultimate version)
Johnson City, March 17th. 1976
Memphis, March 20th. 1974 (a nice straight forward version)
Charlotte, March 20th. 1976
Las Vegas, December 4th. 1976 dinner show

I can understand that some of you mention the Omaha, June 19th. 1977 performance as it is very touching to watch. I would hardly call it an ultimate version of the song though.

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:17 pm

MB280E wrote:I can understand that some of you mention the Omaha, June 19th. 1977 performance as it is very touching to watch. I would hardly call it an ultimate version of the song though.

To each his own, Pal. Different people hear different things.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:44 pm

The best version in my opinion can be heard in the bootleg Steamrolling In Charlotte.. Elvis voice is phenomenal! and the most powerful version I have ever heard from this song, especially that verse: Oh my Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooddddddddd!!!! How Greaaaaaat Thou Art!!!

It seems he started this verse that night and finished the other day. What a voice!!!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:53 pm

Rob wrote:
MB280E wrote:I can understand that some of you mention the Omaha, June 19th. 1977 performance as it is very touching to watch. I would hardly call it an ultimate version of the song though.

To each his own, Pal. Different people hear different things.

You got that right! Agree 100%! :)

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:18 pm

Maybe its nostalgia, but the '77 version from "ELVIS IN CONCERT" does it for me.

Songs like that are the best argument for salvaging the best of those tapes for a super limited-DVD edition.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:18 pm

:D Hey renanagulled.... i think you just won the Jackpot!! :lol:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:24 pm

For me it's the one on the Just Pretend import. That version is truly awe inspiring!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:31 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Maybe its nostalgia, but the '77 version from "ELVIS IN CONCERT" does it for me.

Songs like that are the best argument for salvaging the best of those tapes for a super limited-DVD edition.

I don't see how a DVD can enhance what the ears are hearing. If it was an audio DVD...well.... :wink:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:45 pm

No, I meant the better parts of the TV special, as well as the soundtrack.

A lot of us don't mind his appearance then - if he was singing his ass off like he was on HGTA, "Hurt" and "Trying To Get to You," etc.

On the more painful tunes, no.

But anyway...

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:13 pm

Funny how all of us hear different things. IMHO I have not heard a better version than Memphis 74, period. That version is almost if not perfect.

75 was very good but not as good as 74 again, IMHO.
Now 76 and 77 are no where near the target of 74. Notice I didn't say bad but he almost seems to be yelling rather than carrying a note (of course I am refering to the OMG HGTA part of the song, as the rest is sung basicly the same everytime out). As a matter of point that particular part of the song is what I am actually refering to when I am speaking of better versions.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:19 pm

The 1970 versions, as they are closer to the original version.

Re: .

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:26 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Funny how all of us hear different things. IMHO I have not heard a better version than Memphis 74, period. That version is almost if not perfect.

I agree. But then I haven't heard most of these other versions.

Jules

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:36 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Now 76 and 77 are no where near the target of 74. Notice I didn't say bad but he almost seems to be yelling rather than carrying a note (of course I am refering to the OMG HGTA part of the song, as the rest is sung basicly the same everytime out). As a matter of point that particular part of the song is what I am actually refering to when I am speaking of better versions.

I wouldn't call that yelling, and if it is, that's a big part of soul-singing - and gospel. In fact, I like that about it.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:48 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote:Funny how all of us hear different things. IMHO I have not heard a better version than Memphis 74, period. That version is almost if not perfect.

75 was very good but not as good as 74 again, IMHO.
Now 76 and 77 are no where near the target of 74. Notice I didn't say bad but he almost seems to be yelling rather than carrying a note (of course I am refering to the OMG HGTA part of the song, as the rest is sung basicly the same everytime out). As a matter of point that particular part of the song is what I am actually refering to when I am speaking of better versions.

The best version is OMAHA 77 by far. Elvis moved his voice and it was a way to sing it. Elvis reached all the notes and was not flat.

It was perfect.

JYM

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:53 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Blue-Gypsy wrote:Now 76 and 77 are no where near the target of 74. Notice I didn't say bad but he almost seems to be yelling rather than carrying a note (of course I am refering to the OMG HGTA part of the song, as the rest is sung basicly the same everytime out). As a matter of point that particular part of the song is what I am actually refering to when I am speaking of better versions.

I wouldn't call that yelling, and if it is, that's a big part of soul-singing - and gospel. In fact, I like that about it.

ABSOLUTELY. Elvis sang R&R in a gospel way. Just listen to Mahalia Jackson and you will recognize the Elvis' way to sing.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:16 am

[/quote]

The best version is OMAHA 77 by far. Elvis moved his voice and it was a way to sing it. Elvis reached all the notes and was not flat.

It was perfect.

JYM[/quote]

Like I said, it´s very touching to watch but it´s nowhere near a top notch performance by Elvis! The ending is weak compared to any version from 1975 and it´s not even Elvis that holds the long, strong ending of the song. To call it perfect is THE overstatement of the year so far.

Sincerely MB280E

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:37 pm

personal fav memphis 74
last concert 77 makes my eyes water.. he had so much emotion in it

Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:16 am

The Best version of the great HOW GREAT THOU ART for me is, the version from the ELVIS IN CONCERT 1977 double album. Is that the Omaha version?