All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:14 am

Gregory nolan jr. wrote:

Did folks expect another "comeback" or at least a top-notch show? Or just what did you expect?

I don't think anyone expected a "comeback" or anything like that. Elvis at the time was all over the radio with "moody blue" and "waydown" and a few of his country related things like, "she thinks I still care". He was touring. If I remember right, I read the special was going to be concert type footage. So that is what i expected. I did expect something better because Elvis looked good toward the end of 1976. Who could have predicted the quick 6 month decline?

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:23 am

Greg -

I really thought he would appear with his weight under control.

If I remember the chronology right, we'd had the Elvis in Concert album, with a fit-looking Elvis on the cover, and assumed he had got in shape for the tv show.

Of course, the album didn't sport pics from the actual last tour.

When the special [belatedly] was shown in the UK, it was quite a shock to see how bad his appearance was !

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:47 am

Ekene and Colin, thanks for the replies, first of all.

I was young at the time, but I don't know if I recall "Moody Blue" and "Way Down" being quite all over the radio, especially because my memory plays some tricks on me in that I think after his death, the saturation of these songs occurred. I do think I heard "Moody Blue" before then due to my mother's radio tastes at the time. This was, after all, the year of "Saturday Night Fever" - very much the year of the Bee Gees.

And a lot of us that year were just discovering '50s Elvis, and his movies were still quite popular on TV on local channels. (I had been listening to my brother's "Elvis' Golden Records" more than anything.) So to me, that was Elvis, sort of all ready frozen in time and also beyond time.

Alas, I couldn't fathom that he was in his last months at the time as he was so much bigger than life.

But for the hard-core and adult fan at the time (maybe a fan club member, a serious collector) might you some of you been thinking "Is Elvis really up for a TV Special?" or did you think "I know he'll pull it out like he always did in '68 and '73?" Did you have any inkling of his true dysfunctional and self-destructive behavior? I seem to recall the "Elvis died tragically of a heart attack" lasting for a while -until maybe the TV special when people saw him for themselves, and not the '72 NYC press conference or "Aloha" footage that many local stations relied on. And by '79, the wheels came off when ABC-TV did a lot on Dr. Nick. The word was getting out to people that Elvis was a total drug addict. Finally, by '81, the Goldman book completed the anti-Elvis vibe, and brought on a decade of negative Elvis stories, with Priscilla providing the final push in just a few years. (Sigh) :( :evil:

Anyway, in 1977, Colin, stateside, I seem to recall the LP set coming fast on the heels of the October TV broadcast. I did think as a child: why does he look so much better on this album (recall their being four photos) than what I just saw on TV? And as much as I came to like that '77 set, I also couldn't help but to notice that he sounded really sick and / or out of it on some tracks: "Hound Dog / Jailhouse Rock/ Are You Lonesome Tonight and some of the speaking parts as well...but also that he sounded robust and super-rich in his vocals. A real strange set, isn't it? Better than ever in spots, and then a total train wreck on other parts. (And the more you've heard it, the more forgiving you are of the miscues and poor songs, to the point of being forgivingly nostalgic about the whole set...)

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:21 am

Gregory, I guess "all over the radio" was a little strong, but i do vividly recall several things. I became a fanatic to where I had to buy everything as I could afford it in early 1975. So i paid attention to what was happening. Toward the end of 1976 a real cool radio special came on that lasted 12 hours, called the Elvis presley story. I listed to the whole thing. I ate my meals as the radio played. This special was a big deal back then.

Elvis was played on oldies stations and country stations daily. The country stations played him because songs like "moody blue" were in the country top 10. I liked alot of country stuff so I listened to country radio. There was no inkling that Elvis would die. You maybe thought that he was gaining weight but you didn't think he would die that young. I also recall clipping several stories on elvis out of newpapers back in 1975-76. One was all about how he had aged and was gaining wieght but he still had the charisma to hold an audience.

Gregory it is very strange, but I wonder if other fans feel the same and that is I sort of divide my life up into 2 sections. The Elvis was alive time, and the Elvis no longer with us time. It is weird but I feel like when he was alive the world was a different place. and it seemed a more innocent feeling in the world. It is a such very different feeling about waiting for Elvis' latest record to come out(elvis alive time), than waiting for BMG to release another box set or FTD cd. Or finding out that Elvis will tour in your area. Ah memories pressed between the pages......

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:22 am

Joe Car wrote:Myself, I have no compassion for either of the West brothers, no matter how remorseful they are today.

Joe -
I believe they were cousins.

I may be the minority on this but I no longer have anything against Red and Sonny. They are not my two favorite people in the world but I wish them the best.

Had their termination been handled in a much better way, there is a good possiblility that Elvis: What Happened? would never had existed.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:04 pm

Steve_M wrote:
I think only those that wanted it paid attention to it.

kinda throws that sort of "poll" out the window.

On the contrary Steve, I think you will find a few voted in the negative, indicating that it was fact NOT 'only those that wanted it paid attention'.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:59 pm

I'm sure you're right if that's what you say you think, I can offer no evidence to dispute that.

Ergo that there is little evidence to support anything contrary to what I think.

Remember some think the world will end tomorrow. It won't (touch wood) but that doesn't mean those people still don't think it won't.

I voted originally not to have it released, but I still wanted it. I was thing at the time of the overall picture and not of myself. So that "No" vote was also one of me still wanting it. How does that affect any thoughts you were thinking ?

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:14 pm

ekenee wrote:Gregory it is very strange, but I wonder if other fans feel the same and that is I sort of divide my life up into 2 sections. The Elvis was alive time, and the Elvis no longer with us time. It is weird but I feel like when he was alive the world was a different place. and it seemed a more innocent feeling in the world. It is a such very different feeling about waiting for Elvis' latest record to come out(elvis alive time), than waiting for BMG to release another box set or FTD cd. Or finding out that Elvis will tour in your area. Ah memories pressed between the pages......

Ekenee, this is the type of reply I really appreciate. And I know in my personal life that sort of "Before" and "after" feeling. My father's death is one of them and yes, with Elvis, I have a sense of that, although for me it was too brief (and I was too young) to enjoy the "he still walks the earth" feeling." Anytime I see a TV show or movie or song or meet someone say, pre-1990 or in Elvis' case, pre August '77, I think, what was I doing then or what was my father (or whomever) doing then or, should Elvis come to mind, likewise. You can flip the the channels on TV and do the same thing. In that sense, the past has an ability to be forever sliced and diced and "replayed". Small comfort, I know but we do have that ability.

I'm envious of fans who were older to fully partake in the "now" period. We all relish the outtakes, the FTD's and then there are people here who call themselves "jumpsuit junkies," or study take numbers, or rare first edition vinyl, etc. but it's no substitute for: "hey, Elvis is playing at the arena in two months- let's go!" or "I just heard Elvis' new record on the radio today- I'm going to go buy it."

??

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:25 pm

Hi Steve,

What on earth were you thinking with your avatar??
A bit tasteless if you don't mind me saying so.
Cheers
Simon

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:41 pm

I was inspired by Robs new avatar where he wants to rally around others to hint at MGM, not that they read this but you never know.

So I thought that with Sony-Turner-MGM taking the option so far to consider the footage dead and buried and not up to being exhumed from their vaults that I would show the analogy with Elvis but with him just resting.

The 2007 is not only 30 years later after Elvis took his rest but also adequate time for them to get the footage restored and then released.

Until then he'll still continue to show them how its done whether or not they wanna party with EOT-SE-MMVII.

If you think that's tasteless that's okay, just don't buy it.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:46 pm

Yeah, sorry to jump on this, too, Steve, but that's super-tacky and I bet others here feel the same - and will feel the same (or worse) when the finally see it.

Could you please...? For us?

I get what you were saying but...

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:50 pm

This is a wind up, right ?

The whole Maurice thing and even the complaint was a set up and now this ?

Bah-ha-hah!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll even bet someones activated my web-cam and secretly videoed my reactions as well.!!!!!!!

Good one folks - that was nearly 24 hours straight you had me going for there.

The use of bringing in different people all the time, I'll bet the others just couldn't carry on they were laughing so much.

You buggers.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:51 pm

Or, as we say in the USA, "major-league pains-in-the-ass!"

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:55 pm

Forma an orderly queue, I gotta know who was behind this and planned this.

Fess up :!: :lol:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:58 pm

Steve -

I was getting quite confused the way this thread was going.

But now I'm totally shell-shocked.

What's it all about ?

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:59 pm

where did you get confused from ? which post ?

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:08 pm

Steve -

Actually, I'm so confused, I'm in the wrong thread !

It was the 'Maurice-as-an-alleged-racist' thread which was getting confusing.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:40 pm

Colin, Me too.

I'm responding to Sea-Monkey and Batmobile threads...on the "All-Elvis" forum...!

Bring back LiketheBike, or Rebel or someone, fast!

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:54 pm

ColinB wrote:Greg -

I really thought he would appear with his weight under control.

If I remember the chronology right, we'd had the Elvis in Concert album, with a fit-looking Elvis on the cover, and assumed he had got in shape for the tv show.

When the special [belatedly] was shown in the UK, it was quite a shock to see how bad his appearance was !

This reminds me of a BBC play called “Long Distance Information”. As I was only ten when Elvis passed away, and it was really the media coverage surrounding his death that got me interested in his music, I didn’t know how he was perceived in the later years of his life.

In the play you see two fans talking, and they discuss the negative publicity that Elvis had to endure in later years, and cross reference this with recordings from the same time period (both official and unofficial) to make the point that things couldn’t have been that bad as the where painted based on the standard of these recordings. Then Elvis passes away and the rumours start circulating within the media.

Whilst the events of Elvis’ life may be well documented now, tracks like “Moody Blue” and “Way Down” don’t sound like the work of an artist with serious health problems.

Even the “Elvis In Concert” album doesn’t sound like a poor show, the way it has been edited together. If you compare the first disc (the TV special soundtrack) to 1974’s “Live On Stage In Memphis” you don’t hear a significant decline. I’m sure that for many fans, particularly those outside of the U.S., actually seeing the Special came as quite a shock.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:04 pm

Yes, and there are many on here that site Elvis' voice as being better to their ear than his voice in '74.

I'm not one of them, but I accept it is arguable to certain degrees and aspects.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:11 pm

Steve_M wrote:Yes, and there are many on here that site Elvis' voice as being better to their ear than his voice in '74.

I'm not one of them, but I accept it is arguable to certain degrees and aspects.

I don’t know whether I would say it was better, but if you compare the CBS TV Special soundtrack to Elvis’ 74 live set you certainly don’t hear any major decline. In both cases the majority of the older hits are throwaways, and on the ballads and gospel material he still sounded fully committed and displayed a lot of power.

If we take a song like “Trying To Get To You” which was one of the oldies that he normally did justice too, he certainly doesn’t sound tired of the song by 1977. If anything the Rapid City version is better than the Memphis version.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:14 pm

ColinB wrote:If I remember the chronology right, we'd had the Elvis in Concert album, with a fit-looking Elvis on the cover, and assumed he had got in shape for the tv show.

Don't know how many thought lke this. The LP was issued in October 1977, Elvis died in August.

Images of his final tour -- and evident decline -- had been all over the international media in the days after his death, and prior: a June 1977 Time magazine ran a recent picture with the caption "a paunchy Presley croons to the peons."

DJC

Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:16 am

Doc -

Yes, the UK tabloids had been printing unflattering pics of him for months and months prior to his death.

But with the LP coming out after he died, with the healthy-looking pics used on the sleeve, we kinda thought he had somehow got in shape.

Can't remember the date now, but the airing of the TV show was much later in the UK.

And we were shocked to see how ill he looked.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:51 am

I don’t know whether I would say it was better, but if you compare the CBS TV Special soundtrack to Elvis’ 74 live set you certainly don’t hear any major decline. In both cases the majority of the older hits are throwaways, and on the ballads and gospel material he still sounded fully committed and displayed a lot of power.

I loved both concerts, because in 1977, all that I could find legitimately were Aloha,EIC,Live @International,and Live Memphis... so, I played them to death.
Elvis in Concert was strange to me in that it was unevenly paced and erratic. He was having breath/control issues, even on How Great Thou Art, yet I loved the fragile quality of Elvis pumping out the tunes to the very end.

Live in Memphis, to me, was far different. Play the Flip,Flop and Fly medley, for instance ... he was really rockin' there, a fast paced, frantic boogie woogie compilation. There's no way he could've physically performed that vocal in EIC ... look at the tired Jailhouse Rock for a comparison of vocal energy ... it just wasn't there in June of 77.

Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:55 am

Colin...october 78 springs to mind.

Like you,i bought the Elvis in concert 2xlp set and went by the pic on the front cover,and the voice on some of the songs were strong and things looked good,but when he died,way down was 40 something?...then went to no 1.