All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:41 am

I don't need to know the contents of the contract...he stood there and was filmed and then he didn't complain afterwards. That is it. That was his ok.

Good point about the real Elvis fans...I didn't say that it was ONLY them did I?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:19 am

genesim wrote:I don't need to know the contents of the contract...he stood there and was filmed and then he didn't complain afterwards. That is it. That was his ok.

Good point about the real Elvis fans...I didn't say that it was ONLY them did I?

Is there any example of Elvis ever testing the strength of any business contract? With the exception of stopping funding on the racqetball venture, I assumed he deferred to Parker on all contractual ventures?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:23 am

He couldn't complain afterwards. He died.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:48 am

Actually CBS were going ahead with the special anyway, however concerned they might have been about Elvis´s appearance. In August - before Elvis died - there were news stories confirming the broadcast of "Elvis In Concert" in October ´77. And as far as I know there were no plans to film additional shows on the August tour, another rumour going around. The poor man must have had a lot on his mind in his last few days... "Elvis What Happened", and then the TV Special... Isn´t it strange how Parker never was there for Elvis in times of trouble? I´m sure Parker could have pulled a few strings and have had the book withdrawn. He didn´t even try. And as far as the TV Special goes, he must have known EP was not up to that kind of challenge by summer of ´77, that it could only be damaging for his reputation.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:37 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:I´m sure Parker could have pulled a few strings and have had the book withdrawn.

I seriously doubt it. Parker may have had control of Elvis, but outside of the circle, his powers were very limited. What could Parker of all people have possibly done to prevent the book?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:15 am

Rob wrote:
Hav-A-Tampa wrote:I´m sure Parker could have pulled a few strings and have had the book withdrawn.

I seriously doubt it. Parker may have had control of Elvis, but outside of the circle, his powers were very limited. What could Parker of all people have possibly done to prevent the book?

Offered to write his own book for the publishing company concerned in return for them dropping their clients current one.

Threatened to buy the publishing company concerned.

Use outside influences to discredit the authors before the book was published.

Formulated a set of procedures and plans that would have inspired Elvis to go out on the August tour looking like he did for Aloha and thus bringing doubt over the books revelations by also using other formulas that have worked before, in politics especially.

"Found" as much dirt on them as they had about Elvis - and used it.

Hope that Elvis had some relatives in a high power like the White House who could use their influence - hey, guess what ? Well whaddya know.

A combination of part of all of the above.

That's just off the top of my head in two minutes, but if a few days were to be applied to coming up with things I'm sure someone who was as lowly paid as Colonel Parker could have earnt his few pennies worth - first time in a long time as well.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:30 pm

Steve_M wrote:"Found" as much dirt on them as they had about Elvis - and used it.

Who would care?

Some of your ideas were good ones. However, all of them are things that Parker was not about to do even if he could because it would mean having to look out for someone other than himself. History proves that wasn't about to happen.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:35 pm

Not me - so drop it or use it - it won't hurt.

The options i gave are not necessarily ones that would work but were examples of what I came up with in two minutes for FREE and i was just giving that as an example to compare with the list the Colonel came up with for considerably more than free.

Here's the Colonels list:

Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:29 pm

Didn't anyone pay attention to the recent "Should the '77 TV Special Be Officially Released" poll......................from memory the ayes had it!

Yes Greg, most of us are 'real' fans, and we have spoken.

Release it

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:03 pm

I agree with Genesim. It WAS filmed, it is a tv show, you cannot change history. The ones who want it buy it ( I will for one) and those who don't want it don't buy it, it is a very simple mechanism.
Withholding it reeks of Communism, the powers that be decide what the public should see...
He was filmed, and I love seeing him, sick or not sick, he sang great.
And as for the media having a field day, I think a lot of people think we still are living in 1977. At worst, there will be one or two negative reviews, in a a couple of days no one will even bother about it. We ARE living in 2005. Aloha and 68 DVD's were great but the media are not still talking about it anymore how great they are, are they?
Same thing would happen with an In Concert release.
Just bring it on, it has been way too long already.
Cheers
Simon

Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:51 pm

Larry Dickman. wrote:Didn't anyone pay attention to the recent "Should the '77 TV Special Be Officially Released" poll......................from memory the ayes had it!

Larry, I put that in quotes because the earlier implication was that "real" fans want it issued, and "not real" fans (myself and others?) feel we should use caution and/or enjoy the bootleg versions only.

Simon, you make some good points, but as long as there's money to be made on keeping Elvis' image decent, some restraint may be exercised on releasing this total train-wreck of a TV special that he would have hated.

Keep waiting, folks. It'll be a long wait. :wink:

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:35 pm

Elvis' state of mind?? Only a couple a months earlier he signed his will. Don't you have to be of sound mind & body?

And as far as suppressing the book, if I remember correctly that the idea was to get in shape, put on the best tour ever, and announce he was getting married. This would divert attention from the book and make it out to not be taken seriously. He had enough state of mind to know the value of manipulating the press. Besides if he was successful at stopping the book it would look like he was trying to cover up something.

As far as his control over the airing of the special. I doublt whether he had no more control over that than he did with the release of the movie, "paradise hawaiian style". He knew 6 months ahead of time that he was to do this special. Instead of losing weight, he gained wieght. I remember reading around December 1976 that the special was to be filmed. So he had lots of time. But I think "lord you gave me a mountian" was true in this case. Too high of a mountain to climb this time.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:46 pm

ekenee wrote: He knew 6 months ahead of time that he was to do this special. Instead of losing weight, he gained wieght. I remember reading around December 1976 that the special was to be filmed. So he had lots of time. But I think "lord you gave me a mountian" was true in this case. Too high of a mountain to climb this time.

What was the fan reaction to the prospect of a "new Elvis TV Special" in '77? Did club magazines play the role of, say, this mb?

Did folks expect another "comeback" or at least a top-notch show? Or just what did you expect?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:49 pm

Larry Dickman. wrote:Didn't anyone pay attention to the recent "Should the '77 TV Special Be Officially Released" poll......................from memory the ayes had it!

I'm not sure. I think only those that wanted it paid attention to it.

kinda throws that sort of "poll" out the window.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:13 pm

Never mind the repeated threads on this "hot topic" over the years...!

Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:56 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote: I´m sure Parker could have pulled a few strings and have had the book withdrawn. He didn´t even try. And as far as the TV Special goes, he must have known EP was not up to that kind of challenge by summer of ´77, that it could only be damaging for his reputation.

Most would agree that Sinatra had connections reaching further than Elvis or Parker, yet even Sinatra, with both mob and presidential ties, couldn't supress Kitty Kelley's book. He tried, even going to court, but that expose was still published, hell, it even called his beloved mother a kitchen table abortionist!
So, no, I don't think Colonel Tom could've quashed the bio once the rags got involved ... but I do think they could've bought off the West's had they approached them at the start, before Dunleavy got involved.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:09 pm

I think Parker was the very person and only one who could have stopped this book being published, even being written.

His involvement at the wrong time and his lack of it at the right time when the Wests were "let go" was key to all of this.

Hebler was not worth the effort, but the Wests, especially Red, were not treated, maybe "nurtured" even, in the way they should have been released.

I think a $50,000 long service payment and their retirement from the On Tour Security would have been a better and cheaper way to have ended it and it needed Parker to put those kinds of suggestions forward.

Elvis would still have been able to count on them as friends afterwards as well.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:12 pm

I'm just wondering, any idea how much the Judas brothers and Hebler ended up making for the book?

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:22 pm

ronnyg wrote:Hi, Steve. Sorry but my "polite instruction" wasn't meant to be assuming at all. It was meant as sarcasm as I didn't think you had more of an idea about the contract than I do. My point was that if Elvis was in a clear state of mind, he could have gotten out of contractual requirements that were harmful to his career (via lawsuit, re-scheduling, or paying everyone's cost involved in the project).

That's okay, we all make mistakes, best way so long as we learn from them and don't make them again.

Elvis did test other contracts.

In the 60's he decided he wasn't going on the movie set as he'd had enough of it.

Up they came to see Elvis. Colonel Parker, the director, maybe even Hal Wallis and a rep from RCA.

Elvis was reminded of his contractual agreements.
He was told that if he didn't honour the contract that was okay, but he'd never enter into another one again with anyone.

At the time Elvis was earning more and had more in the bank than in 1977.
He couldn't afford to get out of the contracts when he had more money than he could in 77 when was he living almost day to day with his cashflow.

CBS did the best they could to "hide" him in the broadcast. For a 50 minute show, take the fans out of it, the road crew, Vernons bits and pieces and the long shots of Elvis and see how much of Elvis CBS left in it.

One wonders how far Colonel would have got in doing CBS for breach of contract when "his boy" hardly featured in it. :wink:

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:23 pm

I watched the first part of some kind of 8-part video series featuring the so-called "Memphis Mafia" a few years ago, a trashy looking thing that had some merit but also made me want to take a shower when I finished part one.

This is the kind of Elvis thing that's embarrassng to watch around one's wife...

Anyway, anyone recall what that might have been?

For better or for worse, Sonny West seems most troubled by what he did to his one-time friend. He seemed like haunted man. Good.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:50 pm

Well I have to say there were two sides to it. Sonny does seem to regret what he did, but Elvis seemed to suggest it was okay and maybe things could have been handled differently.

After all it wasn't that Elvis was removing them from his employ, but as they often said it was the way he went about it.

I think they had a reasonable point that if they were truely friends then none of that would have happened. but Elvis decided that was the way he'd agree to have it done and anything they then did was merely their reaction to it.

Elvis ducked his responsibilities on that one. Just like whenever his father questioned a bill Elvis would cringe as if Vernon was holding up a tampon. Elvis didn't want to do mundane grown up things like that, they were to him avoidable and he sought their avoidance as much as his position would allow.

Elvis overstepped the line of what being friends is and he paid a high price for it.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:13 pm

Steve_M wrote:Well I have to say there were two sides to it. Sonny does seem to regret what he did...

That's what I was picking up on. Life is complicated, and the sincerity of a man who went back to the days when he was a football player defending a greasy, unpopular classmate was apparent. He took the devil's gold by writing the book and now his friend, as flawed as he was, is gone. It was nice to see the guy cry. What I mean is, it was human - and real. Maybe I'm a softie... :cry:

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:28 pm

Myself, I have no compassion for either of the West brothers, no matter how remorseful they are today. Should we forget how Red West taped that phone conversation with EP after he had been fired. Now Sonny wants to write a book about his "love" for EP and the "good times".

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:29 pm

Yeah. It was something that rarely lasts without some breathing space coming into it. Red took his often, hence Elvis' long running joke that Red was the only guy on his payroll who he never saw.
I really don't get why he was fired in the first place.

Any boys club that grows up together and experiences things together can only last so long before what gels them disparses via other interests coming into each of their lives that don't connect with the interests of others.

Red hated the way Elvis was at times in the 70's. He bonded with the shy greasy kid with the sideburns and felt sorry for him, but the man with the sideburns in the 70's wasn't going to get Red to play along with his "Yes man" games.

Anyway, back to the CBS show and the amazing trailers that I am assuming were shown but only a handfull of times.

This is very neat. for someone to have pressed the record button on the video 28 years ago and to keep it. The VCR was not in homes quick enough, just 3 or 4 more years earlier and we might have had some great pro shot footage from local TV still on tape.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:44 pm

Joe Car wrote:Myself, I have no compassion for either of the West brothers, no matter how remorseful they are today. Should we forget how Red West taped that phone conversation with EP after he had been fired. Now Sonny wants to write a book about his "love" for EP and the "good times".

Compassion is not the word and I said a bit of this in jest.

Yes, who had VCR's then? I think Elvis and other rich guys (such as his fortune was at the time) but not many ordinary folks! (In our family, it took until 1988._

Who do we thank for taping those promos? I'd love to know who had the foresight. Or is it from the CBS archives?