All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Very rare original IN CONCERT CBS TV Trailers !

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:08 am

HI
28 Years after the last tour
i would like share withe you footage from
The CBS special 77 TV Trailers
Hope you like
http://elvis-rare-footage.forumactif.com/viewtopic.forum?t=216

christian M

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:24 am

Very cool stuff Christian! thanks so much! :)

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:35 am

Thanks Christian interesting!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:43 am

Thanks Christian, super rare & great stuff.
Now I can only wish and hope that EPE will have the brain to release a Special Edition of ELVIS IN CONCERT on DVD in perfect quality. That will be awesome.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:49 am

CD King wrote:Thanks Christian, super rare & great stuff.
Now I can only wish and hope that EPE will have the brain to release a Special Edition of ELVIS IN CONCERT on DVD in perfect quality. That will be awesome.

Don't say that too loud on this MB... :?

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:05 am

awesome, Christian! Thanks so much!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:38 am

Thanks for sharing that Christian!!!

very kool to see, but still very sad to watch...! :cry:

by the way, how do u get all this great footage anyway...?
:wink:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:57 am

Thanks Christian for sharing. The contrast between the stills of a happy, smiling Elvis and the footage from the show could not be more startling! It must have been very emotional for fans at the time to have seen this just a few weeks after his death.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:09 am

I saw the special when it first aired on October 3, 1977. I was not shocked to say the least because I had just seen him in Louisville nearly 5 months earlier. It was definitely an emotional evening watching the special though.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:13 am

Fantastic footage Christian!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:42 pm

Like Rob, I, too, watched the special that night and was quite moved. Being only 8, it was a combination of excitement (many kids talked about it the next day in school) and deep sadness about him having died. And of course, a few cruel kids commented on how fat / bad he looked - I'm not going to lie.

But neat footage, Christian! I recall '70s CBS television rather well.

I also audiotaped the special from the TV, very much a '70s thing to do! (I still have that tape...!)

The special deserves its special spot - in the vaults! At best, I can only fathom an FTD-style limited issue in stores, but as Brad says, the subject's been done to death on FECC!

Can you believe that's coming up on being 30 years ago :?: :!:

Time marches on. :(

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:58 pm

I agree with Gregory. I was 11 when it was on TV and don't remember being too shocked at how he licked because of all of the news coverage in the aftermath of his death. I remember my mom being shocked. I also remember a lot of kids talking about it the next day at school. There were some comments about how he looked but a lot of people talked about how they taped it.

A lot of people seem to want this released but I can't imagine it being for any more of a reason than being a completist and wanting everything. I can't see how releasing this would benefit Elvis' legacy at all. He was clearly ill and shouldn't have been on stage at that point, in my opinion.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:04 pm

Why because that was how Elvis wanted it....he was there to have it recorded.

Also, for good or for bad, it is the artists work. It would be like never releasing a John Wayne movie because he didn't look as well. Hell Marylin Monroe's footage was released on documentaries....etc.

The facts are, if released, it would barely get a flutter of news and it would please the real Elvis fans.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:15 pm

genesim wrote:The facts are, if released, it would barely get a flutter of news and it would please the real Elvis fans.

"Real" ?

Come now, Mr. Simmons: you know and I know that the media jumps all over a frog smoking a cigarette, man-bites-dog story, Britney Spears' latest beau, Tom Cruise's "blow-up" with Matt Lauer, all on slow news days.

Actually, even when many Americans are killed in Iraq, trashy celeb news somehow gets the nod. Some Elvis-hater will find a way to roll tape of him laboring though "Jailhouse Rock" or "Hound Dog"..or "Are You Lonesome Tonight"... :roll:

No thanks!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:22 pm

Granted that Elvis OK'd the special, Genesim, but it doesn't appear that he was in a clear state of mind by 1977. I don't think that the Elvis would have approved the special if he was in a similar frame of mind as he was in 1970 (for example).

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:27 pm

Okayed the special ?

Well he was under contract so what choice did he have ?

No guys, I'm not happy with that you'll have to film loads more of the same.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:57 pm

Are you aware of the contents of the contract? If so, please reveal them. I would be very interested in this. Sometimes artists can reject something and it can be redone. Given that it was Elvis Presley, the biggest name in entertainment in the world, the special wouldn't have gone out if he said, "No way." There are many instances where artists sued to stop a contractual item that they determined to be damaging to them (and won). Again, Elvis wasn't in a very good state of mind. It seems that by 1977, Elvis' attitude was more of apathy.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:58 pm

Good points.

Had he lived, by October it may have been nixed - by E.P. or someone else. Or just a "do-over."

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:41 pm

According to Elvis The Illustrated Disography, CBS execs were horrified at the rushes of the special when they saw it early July. They suggested postponing the special (i.e., putting it on ice) until Elvis got back into better shape and would be in a good mood to the shoot the special. But, with his death the following month, they decided to show the sepcial becasue of the alleged historical nature of the show - being his last concert tour.

In my view, the Colonel probably pushed for completion and airing of the special since it meant additional income!! Any other good manager would have suggested nixing the special, but not the good ol' Colonel. In particular, the airing of the special and the release of the accompanying double LP meant that the RCA contrcat of three albums that year could be fulfilled.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:47 pm

It's a sad commentary when even CBS execs had to say "whoa: this is ghastly...Let's think this through..." Parker? "Full-steam ahead!"

Which reminds me: I wonder how any attempt to foist a (freed-but-tranished) Michael Jackson "comeback special" will be received by television execs?

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:00 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It's a sad commentary when even CBS execs had to say "whoa: this is ghastly...Let's think this through..." Parker? "Full-steam ahead!"

Which reminds me: I wonder how any attempt to foist a (freed-but-tranished) Michael Jackson "comeback special" will be received by television execs?

My bet is that NBC takes the special - they need ratings badly. Supposedly, there's a rumor floating around that ABC was thinking of shooting the Bachelor with Michael and 21 young boys. :D

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:13 pm

ronnyg wrote:Are you aware of the contents of the contract? If so, please reveal them. I would be very interested in this. Sometimes artists can reject something and it can be redone. Given that it was Elvis Presley, the biggest name in entertainment in the world, the special wouldn't have gone out if he said, "No way." There are many instances where artists sued to stop a contractual item that they determined to be damaging to them (and won). Again, Elvis wasn't in a very good state of mind. It seems that by 1977, Elvis' attitude was more of apathy.

I'm not sure.

I know of some contents, but how do I know that what I know is all of the content ? It may be all, but how would I know ?

So, my accurate answer to your intitial quesion is that I do not know if I am aware of the contents of the contract.

Your polite instruction to me to reveal them is very assuming as well.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:38 pm

Thansk for posting, Christian! Very nice to see it.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:39 am

Hi, Steve. Sorry but my "polite instruction" wasn't meant to be assuming at all. It was meant as sarcasm as I didn't think you had more of an idea about the contract than I do. My point was that if Elvis was in a clear state of mind, he could have gotten out of contractual requirements that were harmful to his career (via lawsuit, re-scheduling, or paying everyone's cost involved in the project).

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:07 am

I cried like a baby after seeing the Special in 1977.......not necessarily because he looked bad, or moved with uncertainty, or that I had missed out on the upcoming Hartford, Ct concert. I had lost someone I loved......all else was trivial.