All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:49 pm

The version of ''America's Own'' from Ampex is much better than Claudia.

It is not. It only looks better.

Joern

Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:54 pm

rockinrebel wrote:This is not a ‘definitive’ list by any means, but I have just had a quick look at the import list on this site, and selected a number of titles that should please any fan of a good audience recording:

Adios, The Final Performance (A.J. 92-2002)
America's Own (Geneva 3765)
America's Own, Volume 2 (Claudia CD 070972)
Auld Lang Syne (Live Archives 1076 A/B)
Back In Portland (Live Archives 1012)
Conquering The Falls (J.R. 6/94)
A Dinner Date With Elvis [upgraded reissue] (Live Archives 1011)
Double Dynamite (Rock Legends 1009)
From Macon To Vegas (Rock Legends 1008) – disc two is a soundboard
Greetings From Saginaw (Stage Entertainment EP 5005)
I Don't Wanna Sing These Songs (EPL 001 CD)
Jailhouse Rock Man In Concert (Great Dane Records GDR CD 9317)
One Helluva Night (J.R. Records 9/93)
One Night In Portland (Live Archives 1010)
Phoenix Over Tennessee (J.R. Records 10/93)
The Request Box Shows (Bilko 1594)
Rockin' With Elvis April Fool's Day (92-EF-14-04)
71 Summer Festival (Chips CH 1504)
71 Summer Festival, Vol. 2 (TCB EP 1971)
Unchained Elvis (Krypton CD-M 1)

Given what a whale of a time it can be to find some of these, I'd love FTD to take a dive into this market down the road. Given the cold shoulder shown to "New Year's Eve", I don't see it happening for a good while, if ever.

But "If I Can Dream"... :lol: Thanks again for the list, Reb. I've got some hunting to do.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:30 am

Not to forget ...

The late Rick Rennie taped several Presley shows in quite good quality using one of the first Sony stereo portable cassette recorders. Slip on headphones and you're in the showroom, watching Elvis rock the house.

Some of the best, from August 1970, have appeared on CD in recent years:

Double Dynamite (August 19, 1970 DS and MS)

A Dinner Bell In Vegas (August 20, 1970 DS)
A Bright Midnight With Elvis (August 20, 1970 MS)

From Vegas To Macon (August 21, 1970 DS)
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (August 21, 1970 MS)

-----

Available Las Vegas stereo recordings by Rick Rennie:

03 Feb '70 DS [mono]
05 Feb '70 DS [mono]

19 Aug '70 DS + MS
20 Aug '70 DS + MS
21 Aug '70 DS + MS

11 Nov '70 - Portland, OR

27 Apr '73 - Portland, OR

13 May '73 3AM - Lake Tahoe, NV

DJC

Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:59 pm

Another show that is definitely worth mentioning would be Live at the Omni. It was recorded on May 2, 1975 in Atlanta. The audience reaction to An American Trilogy is quite overwhelming.

A very good sounding audience recorded concert.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Doc, thanks for the tips. I'll have to seek them out.

Rob, gotta love your "ELVIS ON TOUR" avatar. We have to truly campaign to have that issued on DVD in a deluxe version !

Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:08 pm

rockinrebel wrote:This is not a ‘definitive’ list by any means, but I have just had a quick look at the import list on this site, and selected a number of titles that should please any fan of a good audience recording:

Adios, The Final Performance (A.J. 92-2002)
America's Own (Geneva 3765)
America's Own, Volume 2 (Claudia CD 070972)
Auld Lang Syne (Live Archives 1076 A/B)
Back In Portland (Live Archives 1012)
Conquering The Falls (J.R. 6/94)
A Dinner Date With Elvis [upgraded reissue] (Live Archives 1011)
Double Dynamite (Rock Legends 1009)
From Macon To Vegas (Rock Legends 1008) – disc two is a soundboard
Greetings From Saginaw (Stage Entertainment EP 5005)
I Don't Wanna Sing These Songs (EPL 001 CD)
Jailhouse Rock Man In Concert (Great Dane Records GDR CD 9317)
One Helluva Night (J.R. Records 9/93)
One Night In Portland (Live Archives 1010)
Phoenix Over Tennessee (J.R. Records 10/93)
The Request Box Shows (Bilko 1594)
Rockin' With Elvis April Fool's Day (92-EF-14-04)
71 Summer Festival (Chips CH 1504)
71 Summer Festival, Vol. 2 (TCB EP 1971)
Unchained Elvis (Krypton CD-M 1)

I agree: audience recordings - if they are in a good quality - can be better than most of the available soundboard recordings.

The best of them is the Vegas show from August 1973 as it appeared on the PROFILE BOX - according to the producers this is a boom-micro-recording. Also the ADIOS-boot has the best possible quality in my opinion.

The advantage of those recordings is: you can hear the audience - the whole atmosphere is audible! - Listening to soundboards makes you think sometimes, that Elvis performed in front of 30 people.

FTD tried to copy the affect of audience recordings with the MEMPHIS-concert - which was one of the stupiest decision in the history of Elvis-Recordings ... because: a live recording is a live recording - and a audience recording is an audience recording. You shouln't try to mix it together ......

Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:37 pm

The December 31st 1976 concert and Elvis’ final gig from June 26th 1977 are probably two of the best-known audience recordings that many fans are hoping will turn up on soundboard tapes one day. Whilst such recordings would be fascinating to hear in soundboard quality, I’ll bet they don’t sound anywhere near as exciting as the audience tapes we have been listening to for all these years.

The reason for this is simple. The audience tapes capture the anticipation, the excitement and the hysteria that were part of the Elvis Presley live experience. Soundboards in comparison can often sound flat. Of course I would take soundboards from the aforementioned two shows, and it would be good to make comparisons between the two sources, but it’s the audience tapes that capture the whole experience.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:23 am

The recordings of the December '76 Vegas shows are, for the most part, technically excellent.

Many of us have noted that the audience tapes convey the ambience of the concert hall in a more authentic way than the soundboards. These Vegas tapes have a dark feel, even in the lighter moments. A disturbing, yet accurate portrayal of Elvis' state of mind during an engagement that was increasingly an ordeal and a test of endurance.

Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:57 am

Yes those complete Dec 76' shows are a master set to actually have in ones collection! with shows AND sound quality varying considerably! after so many years since 7.12.76 'Run On' was released it would be just fantastic if one of the better or more unusual sung shows could make it out as a FTD soundboard such as 4.12.76 dinner show? :roll:

Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:47 am

My favorite audience recording is the 1973 Vegas concert on the first Profile box set. Sounds like you are sitting right next to the stage!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:36 am

JEFF d wrote:My favorite audience recording is the 1973 Vegas concert on the first Profile box set. Sounds like you are sitting right next to the stage!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

while it may sound a bit echo-y at times, that is sure a great show, especially the Rock Medley!

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:41 pm

Rob wrote:Another show that is definitely worth mentioning would be Live at the Omni. It was recorded on May 2, 1975 in Atlanta. The audience reaction to An American Trilogy is quite overwhelming.

A very good sounding audience recorded concert.

Yes! In stereo!

Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:46 pm

For the "no audience for me" people out there.

Listen to FTD's Takin' Tahoe Tonight (1973 05 13 3am - soundboard). Not very enjoyable i.m.o.

Then listen to the audience recording of the same show on The Man In White, Volume 4 for instance. Completely different experience. Talking about ambiance!

The audience recording wins it by far.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:05 am

Ciscoking wrote:
R.R.Police wrote:I'm not sure whether High spirits in Las Vegas is an audience recording or a soundboard.

AR !!

...and running about 7% too fast!!!!

Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:33 am

The best sounding audience recordings I got are on a CD called "Getting Down To Business" and a CDR with the name "We Don't Care What They Like". I am really glad that my dealer could convince me to buy these from him.

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:36 am

Re: December '76 shows from Vegas:

Elvisjock and YDKM: I haven't heard most of these and look forward to them, warts and all.

JEFF d wrote:My favorite audience recording is the 1973 Vegas concert on the first Profile box set. Sounds like you are sitting right next to the stage!

Haven't heard that in awhile but I was pleasantly surprised how much of the "feel" you get even from the noisier audience shows, when you hear random comments and applause from the crowd...

heartburnmotel wrote:
re: FTD's Takin' Tahoe Tonight (1973 05 13 3am - soundboard) vs.The Man In White, Volume 4 (audience recording.

Interesting, 'Mo'!

I'll have to hear that some time but you make a good point.

(And way to keep up an old but timeless thread, Kuenzer!

Whatever happened to Minkahed? I can't say I miss his photos, but the changing of the guard is always noticeable on these older threads...)

Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:31 am

Let me just add On The Road Again. Energetic show in clear sound.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:35 pm

Check out the new "Let It Be Me" CD from Vegas in February 1970. Very good show and very good sound. Definitely a keeper.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:48 pm

I'd recommend Elvis - Event Number 8 - live recording from March 3, 1974 (A.S.) at the Houston Astrodome. Do whatever you have to do (beg, borrow, or steal) to get a copy.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 pm

JM wrote:Event Number 8

We are talking about audience recordings. "Event" is a soundboard show.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:52 pm

There are many good audience recordings, in my opinion the best are:

- Adios amigos, the final performance
- Since Cincinnati
- The Request Box Shows
- Storm Over Portland (2 CD set - One Night in Portland, plus Back In Portland)
- Pieces of My Life
- A Dinner Date with Elvis
- Chaos in College Park (very interesting)

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:57 am

I would recommend The King Goes Bananas. To me that ranks in second behind New Years Eve. That is the complete September 3, 1973 Closing Show. The versions on CD one I got of this cd is Stereo with two audience recording combine and one with only one. So you won't be disappointed on the CD that you will get.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:17 am

Best ones I've heard are the two 77 Binghamton shows, Rochester 77, Green Bay 77 and Duluth 77.

Other faves are Portland 70 and 73 and the august 75 vegas shows.