All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Best audience recordings

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:25 am

I have a few audience recorded shows in my Elvis cd collection, and actually find a good audience recording much better than the avarage soundboard. It has a better atmosfere and a better balance between Elvis, the band and the audience. To me, most soundboards just sounds boring (except for the few with great sound like the DEA editions).

If someone here could make me some recommandations as to which audience recorded shows (that are out on cd) are the best it would be greatly appriciated :D

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:03 am

Mike -
There are too many to name. If you'd like to ask about any particular one, I'll be glad to help you with it if I can.

Personally, I'd rather hear a soundboard anyday, but to each his own.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:49 am

Fort Baxter release A PROFILE THE KING ON STAGE VOLUME 1.
CD 1 features a superb audience-recording in stereo of the MS August 20, 1973 in Vegas. My favourite sound of any live cd, really open and fresh as you can hear all acoustics.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:17 pm

yes regarding the song 'trouble' as i have heard on THANK U VERY MUCH, i thought it was a little below average sound recording for some parts, the sound is that good. i would'nt say that audience recordings are better than soundboards, but i gotta admit, the atmosphere is there. Unchained Elvis is a great audience recording, along with Adios, the final performance, and New Years Eve FTD, just great stuff! :D 8)

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:40 pm

This is not a ‘definitive’ list by any means, but I have just had a quick look at the import list on this site, and selected a number of titles that should please any fan of a good audience recording:

Adios, The Final Performance (A.J. 92-2002)
America's Own (Geneva 3765)
America's Own, Volume 2 (Claudia CD 070972)
Auld Lang Syne (Live Archives 1076 A/B)
Back In Portland (Live Archives 1012)
Conquering The Falls (J.R. 6/94)
A Dinner Date With Elvis [upgraded reissue] (Live Archives 1011)
Double Dynamite (Rock Legends 1009)
From Macon To Vegas (Rock Legends 1008) – disc two is a soundboard
Greetings From Saginaw (Stage Entertainment EP 5005)
I Don't Wanna Sing These Songs (EPL 001 CD)
Jailhouse Rock Man In Concert (Great Dane Records GDR CD 9317)
One Helluva Night (J.R. Records 9/93)
One Night In Portland (Live Archives 1010)
Phoenix Over Tennessee (J.R. Records 10/93)
The Request Box Shows (Bilko 1594)
Rockin' With Elvis April Fool's Day (92-EF-14-04)
71 Summer Festival (Chips CH 1504)
71 Summer Festival, Vol. 2 (TCB EP 1971)
Unchained Elvis (Krypton CD-M 1)

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:26 pm

Thanks for the list, Reb'.

Adding to my still-modest-import collection, I managed to find a copy of The Request Box Shows (Bilko 1594) recently. The version of "Young & Beautiful" done live in the '70s is especially welcome. The "Bathroom story" is a kind of funny, but it's best this is on a rarely-heard, audience recording only. :oops:

Folks should remember that audience recordings provide a fly-on-the-wall, "through-the-knot-hole" perspective of shows that otherwise we'd not hear at all. They'll never win any sound awards, but that's not the point.

Being lo-fi, one has to be "ready" to hear them. Don't pop these into the car stereo and you probably need to be sitting down (& probably reading) to absorb and appreciate them. You won't listen to them as often but they are rewarding on rare occasions.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:52 pm

I can remember a time when a good audience recording of a show that included rarely performed songs, “America’s Own”, for example was something to rave about. Times have changed, but the audience recordings still have their place, as they capture the atmosphere in a way that soundboards or RCA’s multi track tapes cannot.

For those of us that never got see Elvis live these recordings are the document of the Elvis in concert experience. Listening to the sense of anticipation build as the 2001 Theme begins, followed by wild applause, screams, cries of “oh my god” from the ladies in the audience and “come on Elvis” from the men gives a great insight into what it must have been like to be sitting down at the front as Elvis walked out on to the stage.

Years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to buy audience tapes directly from a fan that had made the recordings himself, and he used to share his stories about how the shows were recorded, and how he managed to get his recording equipment into the venues. I remember getting one show from him, where you could clearly hear him being thrown out of the auditorium after the security people had realised what he was up to!

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:08 pm

rockinrebel wrote:Years ago I was fortunate enough to be able to buy audience tapes directly from a fan that had made the recordings himself, and he used to share his stories about how the shows were recorded, and how he managed to get his recording equipment into the venues. I remember getting one show from him, where you could clearly hear him being thrown out of the auditorium after the security people had realised what he was up to!

Do you happen to know whcih show this was? I'd love to hear it.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:41 pm

Hi Mike,

An English fan at Elvis’ Norman Oklahoma appearance taped the show, on March 25th 1977. The show was unusual in that Elvis performed “Funny How Time Slips Away” very early on in the show (3rd song if I’m remembering things correctly).

You can hear the security people approach him as Sherrill Nielsen starts singing “O Sole Mio” and then the tape cuts out. This fan managed to tape and film quite a lot of shows in very good quality considering the equipment he had to work with, and the problems he would have encountered getting this into the arenas in the days before digital cameras.

If only the recording equipment that is available to us now was around when Elvis was alive.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:55 pm

That type of fan was a god send back then and today as well....Never give up,another show and they were recording again.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:09 pm

Which is why I really dislike the venom towards audience recordings by some unthinking fans....

We're lucky to have any sound on such shows!

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:10 pm

iamhekev wrote:That type of fan was a god send back then and today as well....Never give up,another show and they were recording again.

I agree.

Just look at all the film footage that has been circulated on video for years, and is now doing the rounds again amongst a new generation of fans on VCD and DVD.

We have the fans that were prepared to take the trouble to try and record these shows to thank for this.

Re: Best audience recordings

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:11 pm

Mike DK wrote:I have a few audience recorded shows in my Elvis cd collection, and actually find a good audience recording much better than the avarage soundboard. It has a better atmosfere and a better balance between Elvis, the band and the audience. To me, most soundboards just sounds boring (except for the few with great sound like the DEA editions).

If someone here could make me some recommandations as to which audience recorded shows (that are out on cd) are the best it would be greatly appriciated :D

I guess it'd be helpful to know in respect of what exaclty the recordings have to be "the best" :?: Since you're talking about things like a nicer ballance I guess you're looking for technically good recordings, right? But then on the other hand a relatively nice SB like Old Times They Are Not Forgotten which many think it's the best SB ever is among Elvis' weakest shows ever released IMO. So, the sound quality alone can never be an indicator of whether you might enjoy a show or not.

Meanwhile I think that RR's list of audience recordings is pretty comprehensive.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:21 pm

rockinrebel wrote: re:

From Binghamton, New York...! Yes, a very good one.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:20 pm

A Dinner Bell In Vegas (August, 1970)
The Cisco Kid Strikes Again (August, 1971)
Las Vegas Stage Show (August, 1971)
Sin City Superstar (August, 1972)
Return To Long Beach (November, 1972)

And some of volumes from The Concert Years series......
And also some of the Lake Tahoe 1976 engagement.

Best Regards
Renan.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Return to Long Beach and Rockin' With Elvis New Years Eve 1976 are two that immediately come to mind as sounding great. Even though the sound quality isn't as sharp as these two, I would still recommend Americas Own as well. :D

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:53 pm

Thanks for all your feedback.

I do have the audience recorded show on A profile vol. 1 (aug. 73) and think the sound is great for such a kind of recording. I recently bought one called Showtime at the International, and found it very interessting. The sound is allright, but the show is just great - with a cool version of Memphis Teneessee and Trying To Get To you. Also the start of Hound Dog is great ! Very bluesy (and nothing like the blues-version Elvis did in 1972).

The audience recordings that I would like should be with good sound. Meaning you should be able to hear everything clearly also the in-between talk done by Elvis. Also, the concert should be interessting with something "unusual" - or just a killer-show with very good sound.

Rockinrebel;

Thanks much for your list. I will try and find some of the titles you mention.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:57 pm

Mike DK wrote:I do have the audience recorded show on A profile vol. 1 (aug. 73) and think the sound is great for such a kind of recording.

That one is really great. Almost too good for an audience recording IMO. Is it stereo BTW?

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:37 am

see-see-rider: That sure is a great sounding recording, and it is in fact stereo. There were quite some shows recorded this way I heard, but so far only the Aug 20-gig has surfaced on a release.
To make it even more compelling, it wasn´t a fan who recorded this way with 2 mikes in the showroom. No it was recorded by someone in the Colonel´s field of people, by request from (believe it or not, but it´s true) Tom Diskin´s wife!!!! Now that would be a home to look in the attic for rarities, Ernst!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:46 am

Adios is the only audience boot i have :( But anyways, wouldn't it be great if those Instant Live recordings made from soundboards were available then? Tom Parker would've LOVED that idea, I think....

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:51 am

By the way...the August 20, 1973 Vegas recording was the show that Elvis ripped Red West for talking back to him in front of a security guard. During the show, Elvis threw a scarf to a woman in the audience who threw it back. This continued and during the show you can hear Elvis say don't throw it back. After the show, Elvis was in the elevator with Red going up to his suite and he asked Red why did he not stop the girl? Red made the comment, all you had to do was to stop giving it to her. Makes sense to me.

Anyway...some additional good sounding audience recordings are:
Winter In Vegas - February 21, 1972
Born To Give Us Fever - New York June 23, 1973
Aztec King - Vegas March 27, 1975
Pieces Of My Life - Asheville July 24, 1975
Love Letters From Nevada - Vegas December 4, 1976
Presley At The Hilton - Vegas December 5, 1976
Black Diamond - Vegas December 12, 1976 closing show
Elvis In Savannah - February 17, 1977

Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:13 am

I'm not sure whether High spirits in Las Vegas is an audience recording or a soundboard.
If it is an AR, it is one of the absolutely best.

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:33 am

R.R.Police wrote:I'm not sure whether High spirits in Las Vegas is an audience recording or a soundboard.

AR !!

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:39 pm

rockinrebel wrote:This is not a ‘definitive’ list by any means, but I have just had a quick look at the import list on this site, and selected a number of titles that should please any fan of a good audience recording:

Adios, The Final Performance (A.J. 92-2002)
America's Own (Geneva 3765)
America's Own, Volume 2 (Claudia CD 070972)
Auld Lang Syne (Live Archives 1076 A/B)
Back In Portland (Live Archives 1012)
Conquering The Falls (J.R. 6/94)
A Dinner Date With Elvis [upgraded reissue] (Live Archives 1011)
Double Dynamite (Rock Legends 1009)
From Macon To Vegas (Rock Legends 1008) – disc two is a soundboard
Greetings From Saginaw (Stage Entertainment EP 5005)
I Don't Wanna Sing These Songs (EPL 001 CD)
Jailhouse Rock Man In Concert (Great Dane Records GDR CD 9317)
One Helluva Night (J.R. Records 9/93)
One Night In Portland (Live Archives 1010)
Phoenix Over Tennessee (J.R. Records 10/93)
The Request Box Shows (Bilko 1594)
Rockin' With Elvis April Fool's Day (92-EF-14-04)
71 Summer Festival (Chips CH 1504)
71 Summer Festival, Vol. 2 (TCB EP 1971)

The version of ''America's Own'' from Ampex is much better than Claudia.

Best Audience Recording

Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:43 pm

As listed above, it's definitely Unchained Elvis for me! Great sound, plus a great 1977 show too...