All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:47 am

Steve_M wrote:Jules, it's just you and me.

Take the bonus songs added to TTWII SE CD disc 1 and you'll find the ones I'm partial to.

I was gutted This Is Our Dance was not on there as well.

This is one area I seem to take a different turn in the road when it comes to Elvis fans as a rule.

Ahh...Sylvia, I just love it...

I like that one too. Even though it's compromised by the fact that I only know 2 girls called Sylvia and both have done immense harm to the self esteem of people I know, so I have to be careful when I put it on the stereo!

I'm afraid I can't love This Is Our Dance though - man, he should have refused to sing that one and left it to Engelbert or Tom Jones.

But in general I like the easy listening pop songs from those 1970 sessions. I like Heart of Rome, I like When I'm Over You, I like If I Were You, I like The Next Step is Love - I listen to those songs and I feel good. Like I've said before, for me 1970 was Elvis's peak.

Jules

Re: I'll never Know--Nashville Marathon

Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:47 pm

familyjules wrote:I didn't buy the remaster of Elvis Country because I had all the 'clean' mixes of those songs already on the Walk A Mile... box set, but boy I was really tempted by those remastered bonus tracks. BMG didn't sucker me that time though! :lol:

Jules

Your loss, Julie: the 2000 remaster of "Elvis Country" is a total beaut and worth it for the overall package alone. Own both, I say. No self-respecting Elvis fan should go without the single album copy of this all-time great Elvis album. It's like saying "no thanks" to the FTD of "Elvis Is Back."

I really like "Nashville Marathon" for what is and I'm pleased Elvis took on some "icky" songs that some of you just can't like. I love that they were on the TTWII box, too. Try'em around the ladies sometime and you'll understand their charms... :lol: Seriously, thank goodness Elvis never stayed in just one bag. I like when El tried the soaring "European" lung-busting style of singing as well, such as on "Sylvia" and "Heart of Rome." (Some of you shouldn't be so knee-jerk against Tom Jones and Englebert: try each's new 2-CD "Gold" sets on for size sometime.)

I do agree that these sessions could have used a little more rootsy stuff. "Marathon"'s tempo also tanks at times.

Also, I love Elvis' over-the-top takes.

There. :P

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:24 pm

[quote="Gregory Nolan Jr]Your loss, Julie: the 2000 remaster of "Elvis Country" is a total beaut and worth it for the overall package alone. Own both, I say. No self-respecting Elvis fan should go without the single album copy of this all-time great Elvis album. [/quote]

Two things.

1) You do realise that I'm a male Jules and not actually a female Julie, don't you? Only I'm fine with being called Julie in jest, but I really don't want you to start making a clumsy online pass at me. I was thinking that if you saw the thread where I described my sideburns, then you're probably even more confused than ever by now. :lol:

2) Why do I need the original album when I can recompile my own from the box set without those annoying snippets of I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago getting in the way (I never did care for that gimmick)? Like I said only the remastered bonus cuts made that package tempting for me.

Julie...uh...Jules

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:44 pm

genesim wrote:I agree that those songs were poor choices for "bonus tracks". Why they chose those and then never release the rest of his 70's material..."I'll Never Know" either.

Why is A list material only getting release on FTD and crappy greatest hits packages churned out year after year. "I'll Never Know"

Genesim-
Because that's "Life." But "If I Were You" I'd "Only Believe" cause Ernst may eventually hear the "Sound of Your Cry." :)

Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:47 pm

I had a feeling you were a male "Jules" - just injecting a little collegiality, that's all, no slight intended.

As for your collecting priorities, well, for starters, if you're patient, you can find a mint copy of ELVIS COUNTRY (circa 2000) used for about 8 dollars in the USA (but I'm not sure about your locale). But it will turn up.

The album came with those "annoying" snippets. That's arguably what Elvis wanted and it's what gives it the "concept album" feel.

The photos and liner notes are nicely done and having it on your shelf is very welcome to see. The disc itself is nice to look at too.

Alas, i kept the original Lp as well.

I take it you have passed on the FTD of ELVIS IS BACK and also the reissues of the first 3 albums, "since they're all on the boxsets"? :roll: :shock: :lol:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:53 am

IMHO, The Elvis Country Lp is a CLASSIC!!!

Nashville Marathon is a nice cd, a bit slow and some of the takes are nowhere near as good as what made the Masters, but I still like it alot and play it as often as time permits.

The front cover art could have been a bit better tho... :wink:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:15 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I take it you have passed on the FTD of ELVIS IS BACK and also the reissues of the first 3 albums, "since they're all on the boxsets"? :roll: :shock: :lol:

I don't buy CDs when I have all the tracks already, simple as that. But that Elvis Is Back FTD looks great and I don't have all of that stuff already.

Jules

Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:38 pm

tsc4280 wrote:"I'll never know" is really a pretty decent song. Elvis did a lot of under-rated songs in my opinion. Another good listen is "The Sound of your Cry".

Yes, yes and definitely not.

DJC

Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:51 pm

familyjules wrote:1) You do realise that I'm a male Jules and not actually a female Julie, don't you? Only I'm fine with being called Julie in jest, but I really don't want you to start making a clumsy online pass at me. I was thinking that if you saw the thread where I described my sideburns, then you're probably even more confused than ever by now. :lol:
Julie...uh...Jules

Mental note - strike familyjules from the little black book :wink:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:45 pm

TJ wrote:
familyjules wrote:1) You do realise that I'm a male Jules and not actually a female Julie, don't you? Only I'm fine with being called Julie in jest, but I really don't want you to start making a clumsy online pass at me. I was thinking that if you saw the thread where I described my sideburns, then you're probably even more confused than ever by now. :lol:
Julie...uh...Jules

Mental note - strike familyjules from the little black book :wink:

LOL. I'm heartbroken obviously.

Jules

Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:22 pm

"I'll Never Know" is a very pretty song and I even like the overdubs on it.

It's good that Elvis put it across very simply, without embelishing his vocal performance as the somg didn't call for dramatics but a very straight performance.

I know that "The Nashville Marathon" has been extremely popular with fans since its release, but I find it a drags a little with the emphasis on ballads. "Essential Elvis IV" is far better imo, simply because RCA used the cream of the takes available and featured more up-tempo material.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:29 pm

londonflash wrote:I know that "The Nashville Marathon" has been extremely popular with fans since its release, but I find it a drags a little with the emphasis on ballads. "Essential Elvis IV" is far better imo, simply because RCA used the cream of the takes available and featured more up-tempo material.

When the ballads are as great as most of the 1970 ones were, this is not a problem for me. In fact I'm far more likely to prefer 70s Elvis singing a ballad than a rocker. This isn't a cast iron rule, but it is my general preference.

Jules

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:00 pm

familyjules wrote:
I don't buy CDs when I have all the tracks already, simple as that. But that Elvis Is Back FTD looks great and I don't have all of that stuff already.

Jules

I guess I'm coming down hard on you, Jules, as I thought we all had the "Elvis CD Collector" disease, as our website title above implies. I wonder what you think of people who buy FTD soundtracks and soundboards!)

I remember when I started getting back into Elvis in the late '90s: I immediately thought: well, just buy the boxsets for each decade and then unload all but the most sentimental LPs I own.

Over time, I realized that the box sets just were not the be-all, end all and in fact could not replace the single album treatment, which is why I have welcomed things like the single CD versions of "Loving You," "From Elvis In Memphis," "Pot Luck," etc. back into my collection. I reach for them much more than I ever do the boxsets and get to enjoy the original "vibe" of the original albums.

(I've even had to buy back some of that lost vinyl. :oops: )

So, Jules, f you keep going like this, I may just have to send you my one extra copy of ELVIS COUNTRY.... :lol:

C'mon. It's not like I'm saying get "Love, Elvis." We're talking about one of his all-time bests in the best format it ever came in.

It takes all kinds...! Make room for it: one day you'll come to your senses.
:lol:

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:06 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I wonder what you think of people who buy FTD soundtracks and soundboards!

That's cool with me - personally I'm no fan of most of his soundtrack work, but I'm trying to catch up on the soundboards - it's not previously released stuff, so I'm interested.

Keep dangling that spare Elvis Country and I may just have to bite the bait! :lol:

Jules
Last edited by familyjules on Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:09 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
familyjules wrote:I didn't buy the remaster of Elvis Country because I had all the 'clean' mixes of those songs already on the Walk A Mile... box set, but boy I was really tempted by those remastered bonus tracks. BMG didn't sucker me that time though! :lol:

Jules

Your loss, Julie: the 2000 remaster of "Elvis Country" is a total beaut and worth it for the overall package alone. Own both, I say. No self-respecting Elvis fan should go without the single album copy of this all-time great Elvis album. It's like saying "no thanks" to the FTD of "Elvis Is Back."

I said that. What's wrong with that? Image

Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:42 pm

Oh, you did?

For twenty-five clams, you turned down the 2-CD deluxe version of arguably Elvis' best ever album?

What board is this? :shock:

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:23 pm

I would guess that choosing bonus material to add to the original “TTWII” album gave Ernst a bit of a headache. As the package was issued as a three disc set, the live and rehearsal material had already been well covered, so he was left with a bunch of studio songs that had originally been issued as part of other albums (and in the case of “Rags to Riches” a single) which were unrelated to the original “TTWII” project.

From a fans standpoint this did provide the opportunity to pick up some neglected masters in better sound quality, but some of the tracks chosen didn’t really belong on a work like “TTWII”, and including additional masters from the much weaker “Love Letters From Elvis” would only have strayed further away from the original concept.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:43 pm

rockinrebel wrote: From a fans standpoint this did provide the opportunity to pick up some neglected masters in better sound quality, but some of the tracks chosen didn’t really belong on a work like “TTWII”, and including additional masters from the much weaker “Love Letters From Elvis” would only have strayed further away from the original concept.

I agree with you Reb, but I do wish Ernst had seen fit to include "This Is Our Dance" as one of the 'bonus' songs of the TTWII upgrade considering that it's the only Love Letters From Elvis track that didn't get released in any form during this upgrade period. I don't particularly care for the song, but in the context of the middle-of-the-road ballads that made up the majority of the bonus songs it would've fit reasonably well.

Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:05 pm

I usually listen to Nashville Marathon and Essential Elvis IV back to back. Great fun.
The only song I always skip is "Life", because it drags along.

Favorites are "I've Lost You" - "I'll Never Know" - "Sylvia" - "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - "Faded Love" - "The Fool" - "Just Pretend" - "It's Only Love" - "Until It's Time For You To Go" - "It's Your Baby, You Rock It" - "If I Were You" - "Snowbird" and
"Muddy Water" (this one really tells a story folks) :wink:

Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:53 am

I can't believe anybody dislikes "When I'm Over You". It's a fantastic song.

I love singing it but unfortunately I can't get a backing track of it anywhere, so the only one who gets to hear me singing it is the cat.

I also adore "I'll Never Know".

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:32 am

Keggyhander wrote:I can't believe anybody dislikes "When I'm Over You". It's a fantastic song.

Absolutely...great....along with "It Ain`t No Big Thing"..

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:36 am

Keggyhander wrote:I can't believe anybody dislikes "When I'm Over You". It's a fantastic song.

I really like the words and the melody - I just wish it had a second verse!

Jules

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:25 pm

rockinrebel wrote:but some of the tracks chosen didn’t really belong on a work like “TTWII”, and including additional masters from the much weaker “Love Letters From Elvis” would only have strayed further away from the original concept.

Rebel,

I think it was you who coined the now official title of that album........'Leftovers From Elvis'! :wink:

Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:51 pm

Delboy wrote:I think it was you who coined the now official title of that album........'Leftovers From Elvis'! :wink:

LMAO!! Harsh, but funny as heck.

Jules

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:10 pm

re "Leftovers From Elvis"

And it would sell with that title, too.

Then and now.

Don't tempt RCA/BMG.