All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

I'll never Know--Nashville Marathon

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:12 am

I haven't listened to this CD in a year in about a year or two so I pulled it out yesterday for another listen. "I'll never know" is really a pretty decent song. Elvis did a lot of under-rated songs in my opinion. Another good listen is "The Sound of your Cry". Just trying to sing along (without the intensity of Elvis ) was hard enough. If you listen to Elvis sing this song a few times, you really appreciate what a good singer Elvis was, espcially in 1970.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:30 am

This is one of the songs that Elvis did that many fans on here regarded as substandard for Elvis.

I'm one of the ones who liked these songs along with Sylvia and Cindy Cindy. We did have a thread on this before but it was recent and before the move and for now it's inaccessable.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:45 pm

Cindy Cindy is a great song and the same goes to I´ll Never Know"....it´s a simple melody but beautiful!

Simple arrangements

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:09 am

I guess that's why I like Nashville Marathon CD alot...The songs are simple and have no horns or backup singers so it's just Elvis, strings, and drums...

Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:21 am

Great sound and mix on this FTD...And all the better with out overdubs.

Great stuff.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:07 am

iamhekev wrote:Great sound and mix on this FTD...And all the better with out overdubs.

Great stuff.

I agree!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:26 am

I like I'll Never Know alot. It's very pretty (and underrated). I like The Sound of Your Cry well enough as a song, but I don't care for the way Elvis goes over-the-top with his singing towards the end.

Over the top singing

Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:25 am

I think you have to get used to "over the top" singing style. When I first discovered Elvis, I didn't care for his "over the top" style on some songs. I've grown to appreciate it through the years. At least it's evident that he is giving 100 percent, which wasn't always the case...

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:22 am

It's a simple, but ok tune.

I wish Elvis had rediscovered more of his Blues/Rock style during these sessions, but I guess it's a bit too late for that, so I'll take what he left.

overall, a great FTD and nice tune...

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:24 am

The Nashville Marathon is one of my favs..Ernst give us more of this stuff...

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:06 am

This CD is definitely worth the price. It's almost like sitting in Studio B in Nashville watching the recording session.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:20 pm

I adore I'll Never Know - I think the melody and words are beautiful and it has been known to make me sniffle.....well alright weep uncontrollably like a big baby. :cry:

I've noticed that this song seems to have more detractors than fans, but I think it's one of his best and desrves a much better reputation than the one it has.

But maybe I'm just a sentimental wuss. Heh.

Jules

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:19 pm

To me The Nashville Marathon was one of the least attractive FTDs up to the date of its release. In fact I was pretty disppointed because of the material chosen for the CD. It could and should have been much more attractive feat. alt. takes of I Really Don't Want To Know, Funny How Time Slips Away and other songs from Elvis Country.

IMO songs like The Sound Of Your Cry, Heart Of Rome, Sylvia, Life and I'll Never Know (thanks heaven they left out This Is Our Dance and When I'm Over You) only work because of the band's playfulness and because Elvis obviously enjoys what he's doing. Singing wise that is.

He nearly couldn't do anything wrong at the time of these recordings. Had he recorded them during another time of his career the result would have been pretty different, I guess. It would have gotten obvious how weak those songs really were very quickly.

Those european style pop schmaltz he did especially in 1970 and 1971 with Padre being the absolute peak of it (the only Elvis song I was never able to listen to completely, no kidding) never really worked for me ... :cry:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:36 pm

see-see-rider wrote:IMO songs like The Sound Of Your Cry, Heart Of Rome, Sylvia, Life and I'll Never Know (thanks heaven they left out This Is Our Dance and When I'm Over You) only work because of the band's playfulness and because Elvis obviously enjoys what he's doing. Singing wise that is.

Am I the only Elvis fan in the world who actually likes When I'm Over You?

8)

Jules

Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:49 pm

familyjules wrote:Am I the only Elvis fan in the world who actually likes When I'm Over You?

Probably not, but at this point in the man's career it was a hideously poor choice of material! :( How it made the 'TTWII' extended CD on the box-set 'I'll never know'!!

Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:01 pm

I agree that those songs were poor choices for "bonus tracks". Why they chose those and then never release the rest of his 70's material..."I'll Never Know" either.

Still, why hasn't more been done to release the orginal masters undubbed? Besides certain examples, they sound much better that way. Even the mediocre songs get new life from it. Elvis jamming live in all its pure goodness.

Considering that the Jungle Room Sessions is the biggest seller should tell the powers that be there is a market for it. To me Chronological order is the coolest way to listen to Elvis. Damn it would be nice to actually have all masters in good listening form!!

Why is A list material only getting release on FTD and crappy greatest hits packages churned out year after year. "I'll Never Know"

Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:12 pm

familyjules wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:IMO songs like The Sound Of Your Cry, Heart Of Rome, Sylvia, Life and I'll Never Know (thanks heaven they left out This Is Our Dance and When I'm Over You) only work because of the band's playfulness and because Elvis obviously enjoys what he's doing. Singing wise that is.

Am I the only Elvis fan in the world who actually likes When I'm Over You?

Oh, I like it, too. Don't get me wrong. But there're about 700 other songs that I like more and that I like to see released before stuff like "Heart Of Rome", "Sylvia" and "Sound Of Your Cry". :lol:

Everybody's entitled of course to his own taste. No question about that. "Marathon" surely is a neat and entertaining and moody little album. Over the years I've somehow appreciated it more and more. The sound quality is - seldom enough for a post 2001 FTD release - great. That alone is worth listening to it. But huge parts of the songs are questionable to say the least. Well, at least they're fillers ...

Anyway, this is getting off-topic. I'll Never Know is one of those typical 1970/71 fillers IMO.

Re: I'll never Know--Nashville Marathon

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:44 pm

tsc4280 wrote:I haven't listened to this CD in a year in about a year or two so I pulled it out yesterday for another listen. "I'll never know" is really a pretty decent song. Elvis did a lot of under-rated songs in my opinion. Another good listen is "The Sound of your Cry". Just trying to sing along (without the intensity of Elvis ) was hard enough. If you listen to Elvis sing this song a few times, you really appreciate what a good singer Elvis was, espcially in 1970.

I have always liked this song and the nashville marathon take is great,I was really surprised when I heard the remastered version as 1 of the bonus tracks from Country-upgrade release ......the sound improvment over "love letters from Elvis" version is amazing.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:47 pm

see-see-rider wrote:To me The Nashville Marathon was one of the least attractive FTDs up to the date of its release. In fact I was pretty disppointed because of the material chosen for the CD. It could and should have been much more attractive feat. alt. takes of I Really Don't Want To Know, Funny How Time Slips Away and other songs from Elvis Country.

I think Ernst would have liked to include more Elvis Country alternates, but most of the songs from the LP, especially the ones you mention, are one takers - that's why they sound so great. He could release the unddubbed masters, but that's all there is.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:12 pm

Pete -

You wrote:
I like The Sound of Your Cry well enough as a song, but I don't care for the way Elvis goes over-the-top with his singing towards the end.

I reckon he was just trying to lift a rather pedestrian song; add a little 'oomph' as it were.

The song sure needs it.

And on the long Take 3 he gets really agitated by the finish [his OTT goes OTT !].

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:41 pm

Mike C wrote:
see-see-rider wrote:To me The Nashville Marathon was one of the least attractive FTDs up to the date of its release. In fact I was pretty disppointed because of the material chosen for the CD. It could and should have been much more attractive feat. alt. takes of I Really Don't Want To Know, Funny How Time Slips Away and other songs from Elvis Country.

I think Ernst would have liked to include more Elvis Country alternates, but most of the songs from the LP, especially the ones you mention, are one takers - that's why they sound so great. He could release the unddubbed masters, but that's all there is.

Yeah, looks like you might be right. If it's so I didn't say anything ... ;) Honest: Does this mean, we're never going to hear an alt. take of "Funny" or "I Really Don't Want To Know"?? :(

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:43 pm

see-see-rider wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Yeah, looks like you might be right. If it's so I didn't say anything ... ;) Honest: Does this mean, we're never going to hear an alt. take of "Funny" or "I Really Don't Want To Know"?? :(

I'm afraid so, unless Ernst locates a rehersal take or two.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:55 pm

Jules, it's just you and me.

Take the bonus songs added to TTWII SE CD disc 1 and you'll find the ones I'm partial to.

I was gutted This Is Our Dance was not on there as well.

This is one area I seem to take a different turn in the road when it comes to Elvis fans as a rule.

Ahh...Sylvia, I just love it...

Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:34 am

familyjules I love this song: "When I´m Over You". In fact all (with no exception) my friends loved the song...

Re: I'll never Know--Nashville Marathon

Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:42 am

KingElvis wrote:I have always liked this song and the nashville marathon take is great,I was really surprised when I heard the remastered version as 1 of the bonus tracks from Country-upgrade release ......the sound improvment over "love letters from Elvis" version is amazing.

I didn't buy the remaster of Elvis Country because I had all the 'clean' mixes of those songs already on the Walk A Mile... box set, but boy I was really tempted by those remastered bonus tracks. BMG didn't sucker me that time though! :lol:

Jules