All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: 28 years ago today

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:18 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:you must be in one shitty mood having mailed that ugly quote?! Do I want to respond to this cowshit piece at all? NO! NEIN! NJET!

I wasn't expecting a response... :wink: The quote was just something that caught my eye recently. Let me stress that it's not my view!

The posting was prompted by a similar discussion on the Finnish Elvis board, where a person calling himself Albert Goldman constantly derides fans for being blind, stupid, unable to face facts etc. for not owning up to the fact "that last two years of Elvis' performing career were nothing but a clown show of the worst kind." (Actually, his expressions are much too colorful to be translated on the fly... :wink: )

CINCINNATI - MORE THAN 28 YEARS AGO

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:32 pm

I cannot believe that much time has passed. As many have said, it still hurts. Elvis was big -- I didn't care. He could sing!! I wish he was more healthy than we thought -- but that's all hindsight. I never for a second thought Elvis would die.

I attended the June 25 show, and was very disappointed with the set list. The same set list he'd used for months/years -- and here I drove more than 500 miles to hopefully see a different show -- he was being filmed this tour. But no, same opening, same medleys -- and then even less songs than usual as LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL was gone. HOWEVER, the absolute highlight for me was I REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW. Elvis was so unbelievably powerful, and while listening to recordings later, I know Elvis did a good show -- but it was a show he had done many, many times. Even UNCHAINED MELODY wasn't as good as ANN ARBOR. The best shows (for me) of the ones I saw were in May/June '75 -- lots of variety and a fairly healthy Elvis!

Regardless of what people say, when Elvis cared about a song in 1977, it was performed well. I loved his voice, I loved how it was changing and maturing, and was looking forward to hearing a late '40s voice, an early '50s voice, a late '50s voice, etc. but that was not to be. I loved the ballads where Elvis' voice shined. AND I LOVE YOU SO was always wonderful.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:41 pm

WE know that Elvis was not a junkie, or at least not a typical addict, but people who don't know the story and haven't heard a 77 show they don't ... we must live with this kind of unqualified statements.

70% of people will tell you that they saw a tv special "back in the 70s - the one where he was fat and had a cortisone head" - and at the end they are reffering to the "concert where he was dressed in a jumpsuit" and so on ... we will never be able to stop this.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:24 pm

"elvisjock" wrote re: the Indianapolis show.

His monologue at the end of the show seems to be so full of foreshadowing - almost as if it is a farewell speech, of sorts. Or, as Jerry Hopkins wrote, it seemed as if he didn't want to leave.

I recently had the pleasure of acquiring and listening to this "Adios" show and was quite struck by his extended goodbye.

And to hear the last versions of many of these songs was especially moving. But the extended introductions and thank you's really hit home.

Re: 28 years ago today

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:32 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:...The posting was prompted by a similar discussion on the Finnish Elvis board, where a person calling himself Albert Goldman constantly derides fans for being blind, stupid, unable to face facts etc. for not owning up to the fact "that last two years of Elvis' performing career were nothing but a clown show of the worst kind." (Actually, his expressions are much too colorful to be translated on the fly... :wink: )

Sounds suspiciously like our new outer-space visitor. Like others have wisely-counseled, don't take the bait. Most of us are under no illusions about Elvis' later years, but when he put on a good show, we have to acknowledge that, too.

It's also good to take a look at Jordan's site for some of the footage shot by Larry Patrick.

(Find it towards the bottom:)
http://jordans-elvis-world.com/video/

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:29 pm

If my memory is correct, I think “Release Me” was also performed in February 1977, and “Bridge” had also been revisited earlier in the year. “I Can’t Stop Loving” seems to have re-appeared out of the blue though.

There really does seem to have been a special attempt by Elvis to vary his set list and perform a good show. When you listen to the audience tapes of the last two shows, you realise just how much the pressure of the CBS cameras affected Elvis. In Cincinnati and Indianapolis he seemed much more relaxed and sounded as if he was still enjoying performing for his fans.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:13 pm

rockinrebel wrote:If my memory is correct, I think “Release Me” was also performed in February 1977, and “Bridge” had also been revisited earlier in the year. “I Can’t Stop Loving” seems to have re-appeared out of the blue though.

There really does seem to have been a special attempt by Elvis to vary his set list and perform a good show. When you listen to the audience tapes of the last two shows, you realise just how much the pressure of the CBS cameras affected Elvis. In Cincinnati and Indianapolis he seemed much more relaxed and sounded as if he was still enjoying performing for his fans.

Given that his last t.v. appearance was the Aloha, who can blame EP for being extremely nervous. Even the rehearsal show from the Aloha, he seemed much more loose, though obviously his circumstances were different this time around.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:20 pm

This picture always fills me with sadness:

Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:40 pm

wow. I was still in my Mummy's tummy.

I was born two weeks before he passed away. :(

Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:03 pm

Thomas, I hadn't seen that shot from Indy! But having heard about it, in a weird way, it shows the "blow to the heart" that the later events of '77 unleashed.

By the way, I meant to thank Ger, Minni, Dave, Lonnie, Elvisjock, and Chris for sharing their memories of seeing Elvis live in 1976-1977 :!: :!: :o

It's always a treat here on FECC when we get some first-hand feedback for those of us either too young or not born at the time. I cherish being a fan of sorts of his music in the year before he died, but being only 8, I barely knew what death was. But when he died, I knew then and certainly felt it... As a kid, you feel your family's emotions and my family certainly felt it (Mom cried)...It seemed everyone everywhere was in mourning for awhile.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:22 am

Thomas wrote:This picture always fills me with sadness:

The guys who were responsible for planting the dynamite on this day had a look of horror on their faces when they were told that Elton John was due to play there the following day - they couldn't believe they'd set the timer a day early.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:10 am

The guys who were responsible for planting the dynamite on this day had a look of horror on their faces when they were told that Elton John was due to play there the following day - they couldn't believe they'd set the timer a day early.

:D That's a shame! Especially because it was Elton! I'm a big fan, saw him live about four or fife times ...

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:21 am

Market Square Arena is about an hour north of where I live. I attended a concert there in 1989 and the entire time imagined Elvis on stage during his final show. When the building was imploded, there were many protesters there saying that the building where Elvis last performed should be saved. When they showed the arena coming down that evening on the news, it was like we lost another part of Elvis.

I saw Elvis twice in Freedom Hall in Louisville, Ky. When / if they ever decide to destroy that building, I may very well be one of the protestors.

Below is a review of Elvis' last show from the Indianapolis Star.

CONCERT DATE: June 26, 1977 (8.30 pm) Indianapolis, IN. Market Square Garden.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIANAPOLIS
The Indianapolis Star:
Elvis performs in true Presley style before 18,000
By Rita Rose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elvis looks great and Elvis sounds great!" exclaimed comedian Jackie Kahane to 18,OOO enthusiastic, sweaty-palmed fans at Market Square Arena last night.

And Indianapolis once again prepared to great royalty-the hip-swivelling singer who has been called the King of rock 'n' roll since the Mid-1950s.

Elvis. His name was everywhere: on posters, buttons, souvenir books, T-shirts, hats, and homemade clothes that proclaimed with personal touches, admiration for a man idolized by millions.

The big question was, of course, had he lost weight? His last concert here, three years ago, found Elvis overweight, sick and prone to give a lethargic performance. As the lights in the Arena was turned down after intermission, you could feel a silent plea rippling through the audience: Please, Elvis, don't be fat.

And then he appeared, in a gold and white jumpsuit and white boots, bounding onstage with energy that was a relief to everyone. At 42, Elvis is still carrying around some excess baggage on his mid-section, but it didn't stop him from giving a performance in true Presley style.

His opening number, the audience grabbing "C.C. Rider," got his portion of the show off to a flash-bulb-popping, hand-clapping start. His "Amen," in which he encouraged everyone to lap and sing along, seemed to bring everyone together, as did "Jailhouse Rock" and "I Got a Woman."

His older numbers seemed to draw more applause, although just about everything he did created mass hysteria, especially his "leg jerks." (In case you have never seen Elvis, this particular maneuver consist of one singer, standing perfectly still with his legs apart, then making his legs ripple like jelly, completing the action with moving first one leg and then the other bruptly to each side.)

Elvis has limited his karate movements, but the stances he takes with his guitar generated screams and shrieks from delighted fans. One of his best numbers, we feel, was "It's Now Or Never," followed by a medley of his hits. He also offered "This Time You Gave Me A Mountain," and "Fairytale," plus several others. He also did his famous "I uh, we uh, well, well, well, well, well, well" monologue, which seems to turn dyed-in-the- rood Elvis fans on. He coveted scarves, tossed into the audience after gracing the singer's neck, caused mad scrambles by the stage as he got rid of them just about as fast as they were put around his neck. The fans were well-behaved, considering the usual ampedes that take place at rock concerts.

The first half of the show consisted of the usual stuff - the Stamps singing, Jackie Kahane with his Elvis jokes, and The Sweet Inspirations in song. But we'll mention them only briefly, since most fans just want read about the King.

The packed Arena was indication enough that Elvis is still as popular as ever. Well, well, well, well!

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:22 am

The cremation of the Market Sq. Arena totally sux!!!

I can remember as a kid, walkin' past, staring at, going into Madison Sq. Garden and jus thinkin' the whole time what had happened on that stage in June of '72...

same thing goes for the Vegas stage at the Hilton...

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:34 am

The put a "thing" in place of where it stood, some kind of small monument or something along with a piece of the old arena - sorta modern art looking thing with a plaque stating last place Elvis performed etc.

I think some bugger stole it.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:27 pm

Joe Car wrote:Given that his last t.v. appearance was the Aloha, who can blame EP for being extremely nervous. Even the rehearsal show from the Aloha, he seemed much more loose, though obviously his circumstances were different this time around.

Had Elvis been healthier back in the summer of ’77 the taping of the CBS Special would have been similar to the making of the two MGM documentaries. Elvis could perform his regular show, interjecting some humour here and there, and enjoy his performances without having to worry about the odd mistake.

In this respect, he wasn’t facing quite the same sort of pressures that he had done in Hawaii in January of 1973. However, I think the reason the making of the special affected him so much, is because he had much more playing on his mind than his belief in his own ability to perform a good show, and we can clearly hear and see that these pressures had a very significant effect on the filmed performances.

Whilst 1977 wasn’t a great year for Elvis, on a good night he could still get the old magic working. This is certainly in evidence on the audience tapes from Cincinnati and Indianapolis, but I think it’s no co-incidence that these shows were performed without the added pressure of the CBS cameras. I think Elvis realised the difference between performing solely for the fans in the arena, and performing for a TV broadcast that would ultimately relay his every move back to the watching world, during a period of his life and career when he wasn’t enjoying the best of health, and was obviously extremely concerned about the impending publication of the “What Happened” book, and the effects this would have on his career.

June of 1977 simply wasn’t the right time for a major Elvis Presley TV Special, but if somebody was prepared to pay for it, the Colonel wasn’t going to turn it down.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:36 pm

minkahed wrote:The cremation of the Market Sq. Arena totally sux!!!

I can remember as a kid, walkin' past, staring at, going into Madison Sq. Garden and jus thinkin' the whole time what had happened on that stage in June of '72...

same thing goes for the Vegas stage at the Hilton...

When I got to see the Barnum & Bailey Brothers Circus on a school field trip to Madision Square Garden in 1980, I remember thinking: so, this is where that LP I have from Elvis was recorded live eight years ago! (Our side-burned, parish priest, of all people, was an outspoken Elvis fan and told us he had seen the MSG shows...)

For some of us, places are one of the only ways left to "connect." All the more reason for key historic sites in Tupelo and Memphis to be preserved for posterity.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:54 pm

The put a "thing" in place of where it stood, some kind of small monument or something along with a piece of the old arena - sorta modern art looking thing with a plaque stating last place Elvis performed etc.

I think some bugger stole it.

I remember reading that it was offered on ebay.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:10 pm

That's awful.

May that cretin rot in hell.

Okay, some bad karma at least.