All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:51 am

Hello,

Could this August 1972 show be the Show 2 (Exact Date Unknown) (Soundboard) (Superior Sound Quality) that Sessions 3 mentions on page 616 in the unreleased highlights section?

You've Lost That Loving Feeling
For The Good Times
An American Trilogy
Never Been To Spain
Proud Mary
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
What Now My Love
My Way

It also mentions additional soundboard recordings from this engagement that are undated. Howver these are not notated with (Superior Sound Quality)

Until It's Time For You To Go
What Now My Love
One Night
Suspicious Minds
My Way
Tiger Man
An American Trilogy
A Big Hunk Of Love

Could this show that FTD is putting out be a reel-to-reel instead of a traditional sounboard cassette?

Daryl

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:07 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Gregory: I knew my post would get a rise out of you. Glad to see you're still here. As you've said before I have very definite tastes. That's not going to change. As for the movies: I was 10 when Elvis made GI Blues
and 19 when Change Of Habit was released. The movie years is when I grew up. Nothing made a bigger impression on me than seeing Elvis on the big screen. Each time I watch one of the movies or listen to one of the soundtracks a flood of great memories come back about those times that I can't attach to any other period of my life. Siily? Perhaps. Looking back at life through rose colored glasses? Probably. But we all do that.
I love the movies and their soundtracks(not that they were all great) for reasons that go beyond the music and that's just the way it is.

Happy to goad you into a fuller explanation, Jerry ! :D I'm actually somewhere in the middle, that is, someone who likes both the FTD soundtracks and the soundboards of live shows. I encounter folks who don't like that the sountracks are getting the deluxe treatment (I bristled at first, having only recently gotten the D/F versions) and I wonder how much of that is a function of not having nostalgia for this "bad" period of his career. I date from the year "Change of Habit" premiered, so I only have some of that nostalgia, but I was in a family that leaped to watch "the 4:30 Movie"' in New York when it had its "Elvis week" in the '70s, so I hear you! I share the fondness for the '60s flicks, as flawed as they were.

I see the movie soundtracks on FTD as pretty finite, so as they get deeper into live shows, just tune out if you don't like it. It's not like Elvis is coming back with new material anytime soon. And why welcome love song comps with new album covers and a slight reshuffling of the tracks?

Oh, well, Jer: to each his own! :lol:

Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:44 pm

Greg: I hear what you're saying. I actually think that a landmark album such as Elvis Is Back belongs in the mainstream catalogue. But it seems BMG has made their choice about such things. I wonder what will become of his first three albums. Will they again yank them from the mainsream and then re-release them as deluxe 2-cd versions on FTD?
I'd love to have them in this format. And what of other albums such as From Elvis In Memphis or Elvis Country? What ultimitely becomes of them? Will BMG eventually release almost all of Elvis' original albums(excluding budget items) only on FTD? Leaving the main label to release comps? I know I'm rambling and much of this has been discussed before, but I'd like to know what YOU think.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:12 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

Could this August 1972 show be the Show 2 (Exact Date Unknown) (Soundboard) (Superior Sound Quality) that Sessions 3 mentions on page 616 in the unreleased highlights section?

For The Good Times
An American Trilogy
Never Been To Spain
Proud Mary
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
What Now My Love
My Way

It also mentions additional soundboard recordings from this engagement that are undated. Howver these are not notated with (Superior Sound Quality)

Until It's Time For You To Go
What Now My Love
One Night
Suspicious Minds
My Way
Tiger Man
An American Trilogy
A Big Hunk Of Love

Could this show that FTD is putting out be a reel-to-reel instead of a traditional sounboard cassette?

Daryl

Daryl:
I was thinking the same thing as began reading this topic. It makes the most sense - I am sure Ernst can date the show.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:06 am

I think, this is good news. And I hope, they'll bring us a soundboard that doesn't have too much hiss as BLAZING INTO THE DRAKNESS and FULL BLAST.

FULL BLAST by the way is one of the strongest shows I ever heard from our man.

Some time ago I said: I would love to see both shows from that date in a double-pack released on ftd - but now, since I have the "kansas city blues"-boot, I doubt, if I really loved such a release, because: a soundboard is a soundboard. period. you can't change the sound! There may be less hiss or more bass or whatver - but the sound as a whole is there, and you can't change it - so it would sound more or less the same....

that's why I hope that there will be a show including one of the first versions of steamroller blues, and maybe my babe or whatever .... and I hope they will bring us a reel-to-reel-recording!

Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:22 am

Every unreleased show they bring us is a bless. If it's FTD, it's always great.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:15 pm

8) what people are guessing as to the show sounds 'great', but do NOT expect the Stamps singing 'Walk that lonesome road' as by the Stamps you'd expect it to be cut out of shows just like Kathy's solo has nopw been cut TWICE from releases.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm

Yes that's the only thing I could point out negative with FTD, I sure would like to get a complete show too.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:42 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Greg: I hear what you're saying. I actually think that a landmark album such as Elvis Is Back belongs in the mainstream catalogue. But it seems BMG has made their choice about such things. I wonder what will become of his first three albums. Will they again yank them from the mainsream and then re-release them as deluxe 2-cd versions on FTD?
I'd love to have them in this format. And what of other albums such as From Elvis In Memphis or Elvis Country? What ultimitely becomes of them? Will BMG eventually release almost all of Elvis' original albums(excluding budget items) only on FTD? Leaving the main label to release conps? I know I'm rambling and much of this has been discussed before, but I'd like to know what YOU think.

Good points Jerry. I thought about this when the soundtracks were first launched via FTD in the 7” packaging. As most people will already know from my previous posts, I also think that the likes of “Elvis Is Back”, “From Elvis In Memphis” and ”Elvis Country” belong in the mainstream catalogue, but as a collector if I can have deluxe editions of Elvis’ so called lesser albums, then I also want deluxe editions of the great ones. I guess we can’t have it both ways.

Getting back to the original topic, a soundboard from the summer of 1972 is always welcome in my opinion. These were good, varied shows, with Elvis in great form. I also don’t think we should be too critical if FTD release a show that has been previously bootlegged. There are many fans that simply don’t have access to import releases, and they have just as much right to hear this material.

When you consider what the FTD label has given us so far, I think there has been a real effort to try and avoid shows that have previously been bootlegged, but I think it is also inevitable that there will be some duplication at times.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:58 pm

When you consider what the FTD label has given us so far, I think there has been a real effort to try and avoid shows that have previously been bootlegged, but I think it is also inevitable that there will be some duplication at times.

Altough FTD releases are my favourite ones, I don't think that they will ever prevent serious fans from buying Imports. FTD may have the best people working for them, but they seem to be just bound to EPE's moral concept and we will only get to hear what everyone wants us to hear. I doubt that there will be a FTD College Park or Desert Storm.

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:14 am

Altough FTD releases are my favourite ones, I don't think that they will ever prevent serious fans from buying Imports. FTD may have the best people working for them, but they seem to be just bound to EPE's moral concept and we will only get to hear what everyone wants us to hear. I doubt that there will be a FTD College Park or Desert Storm.

Well, it is hard to see FTD releasing something as damaging as Desert Storm, however, terrible shows like Dragonheart and Tucson 76 do little to shed a positive light on the Elvis legacy as well. FTD doesn't have the goal of revising history like EPE does. FTD releases all sorts of projects, some show Elvis' brilliance, and others show Elvis' vulnerabilities.

Ernst has said on a handful of occasions the FTD will be reproducing famous bootleg recordings for fans that do not have easy access to them, so it is safe to assume that FTD will release shows that hardcore collectors already have as those collectors are not the only audience for FTD (that is why New Years Eve 76 was released).

Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:39 am

Good points, Midnightx.

Just as the New York Times imagines itself as the "paper of record" in the U.S.,well, if it's not on FTD, in many respects (real and imagined) it hasn't really happened. Which is why I welcome the FTD project (no CDR's for me, thank you) and think it's largely been on-target.

And as has been revealed, the plan by FTD is to document each season of Elvis live shows in the '70s, warts and all. Sure, the plan is to slice into the bootleg market, but why not?

Getting over legal and moral qualms of some regarding bootlegs, this series has made it much easier for long-time fans ( too busy or just plain out of the loop) to access this material. It may be a badge of honor for some to locate and mine the rare stuff via the import world, but for others like myself, just put the stuff on the shelf in a handsome read (official-looking) package, and I'll snap it up like I did "Elvis' Golden Records," a long time ago.

That said, the import world made this happen and it continues to lead the way, pushing and prodding RCA/BMG to make FTD as good as it can be. I couldn't ask for a better back and forth in anything.

Now if only something could be done about the RCA/BMG monopoly of Elvis' catalog albums, which are now increasingly relegated to a European-based specialty/ boutique label albeit in deluxe editions...

Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:31 pm

well Jerry, then let's look for october too, for one more soundtrack will be released (clambake??) plus one more "classic" album (raised on rock??)

Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:42 pm

Thomas wrote:Altough FTD releases are my favourite ones, I don't think that they will ever prevent serious fans from buying Imports. FTD may have the best people working for them, but they seem to be just bound to EPE's moral concept and we will only get to hear what everyone wants us to hear. I doubt that there will be a FTD College Park or Desert Storm.

I agree that the FTD label will not prevent serious fans from collecting imports. The nature of collecting is such that if something comes out officially or unofficially people are going to want it.

As far as the choice of shows and material is concerned, I don’t think FTD have been over protective in terms of Elvis’ image and reputation. “Dragonheart” isn’t too far removed from the College Park show in my opinion, and they have also released some fairly weak material (“Tucson ’76” and “Spring Tours” for example) so I think the label is prepared to give an honest overview of every tour, be it good, bad or average.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:46 am

what about a complete feb 1972 show instead of a aug one?

Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:29 am

i was wondering the same, but given the sheer QUALITY of the performance during most of these August 72' shows i'm not going to be complaining one bit- in fact i'm delighted we're going to get a show to represent this season + extra's should be one of my fav all time FTD's? :lol:

Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:17 pm

ritchie valens wrote:what about a complete feb 1972 show instead of a aug one?

No complete February 1972 shows were recorded on multi-track equipment by RCA. Rather like February of 1970 they chose only to record specific selections.

There is still enough left in the vaults for a great February 1972 compilation, which I think would make an excellent FTD release, but If there are any complete shows from this period in RCA’s possession then they are likely to be soundboard recordings.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:49 pm

rockinrebel wrote:
ritchie valens wrote:what about a complete feb 1972 show instead of a aug one?

No complete February 1972 shows were recorded on multi-track equipment by RCA. Rather like February of 1970 they chose only to record specific selections.

I guess this has been discussed many time before not only on this board. But what exactly makes you so sure that only selections were recorded? I mean from a logical point of view alone: Wouldn't it have been "stupid" to turn on the tape machine for one song, then turn it off, then wait, then turn it on again. I mean, if everything's been set up? Why wouldn't you record an entire show? Because tape was so expensive?

Nothing personal I just don't get it, I guess ... :wink:

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:09 pm

This has been documented in Ernst’s book and Joe Tunzi’s “Sessions” books. I would agree that it may have made more sense for RCA to record complete shows, but the evidence that we have available at this time would suggest that they didn’t.

Such things may seem stupid now, but back in 1972 no one was expecting Elvis’ untimely death, or the many posthumous releases that have been compiled since then.

The only explanation I could give for this decision would be that after both the TV Special soundtrack and “In Person” album were built around earlier hits, RCA might have been more interested in recording the new material that had been added to Elvis’ act, and didn’t feel that it was necessary to record complete shows which would include a number of songs that they had no plans to use.

This would certainly fit with the cancelled “Standing Room Only” project, but the irony of this is that when this album was cancelled RCA decided to issue a complete show from Madison Square Garden anyway.

Elvis also makes reference to the recordings, telling the audience that they may have to start over if they make a mistake, and this does give the impression that the engineers were being made aware of the selections that RCA wanted to record, rather than leaving the tapes rolling all of the time.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:27 pm

rockinrebel wrote:I would agree that it may have made more sense for RCA to record complete shows, but the evidence that we have available at this time would suggest that they didn’t.

Such things may seem stupid now, but back in 1972 no one was expecting Elvis’ untimely death, or the many posthumous releases that have been compiled since then.

The only explanation I could give for this decision would be that after both the TV Special soundtrack and “In Person” album were built around earlier hits, RCA might have been more interested in recording the new material that had been added to Elvis’ act, and didn’t feel that it was necessary to record complete shows which would include a number of songs that they had no plans to use.

This would certainly fit with the cancelled “Standing Room Only” project, but the irony of this is that when this album was cancelled RCA decided to issue a complete show from Madison Square Garden anyway.

Elvis also makes reference to the recordings, telling the audience that they may have to start over if they make a mistake, and this does give the impression that the engineers were being made aware of the selections that RCA wanted to record, rather than leaving the tapes rolling all of the time.

Well, okay, I can see that. But it this really an indicator for "selective" recordings by RCA? I don't know, he said things like that in 1969, February 1970 and August 1970 as well. And nearly every time complete shows have been recorded, I guess. I don't say that you're wrong. I haven't heard anything else myself ever since I'm wondering whether there might be a complete Feb. 1972 show once which I personally think would be fantastic.

rockinrebel wrote:This has been documented in Ernst’s book and Joe Tunzi’s “Sessions” books.

I don't think that EJ's book is a particularly reliable source of what is really there and what's not. There're many occasions in that book where only parts of recordings that later appeared have bee confirmed by him to exist. He probably didn't know better or didn't want to tell everything to be able to surprise fans at a later point. Also, some time has passed since Mr Jorgensen did research for his book. The first edition came out in July 1998, I guess, so his research might even be one year older. Some thing might have changed in the meantime that he neither know nor expect back then. Just assumption though.

Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:49 pm

The same approach was used in February 1970, hence the “Polk Salad Annie” FTD was a composite of more than one show. Had RCA/BMG had a complete (multi-track) show from this season in their possession there is no reason why they wouldn’t have used it on “Polk Salad Annie”.

Of course we are reliant on people like Ernst and Joe Tunzi for our information, and new information will undoubtedly surface from time to time. However, my theory on this is that RCA don’t seem to have made any secret of the shows that they did record in their entirety from 1969 – 77, so why would they withhold information about February 1970 or February 1972?

Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:48 pm

rockinrebel wrote:The same approach was used in February 1970, hence the “Polk Salad Annie” FTD was a composite of more than one show. Had RCA/BMG had a complete (multi-track) show from this season in their possession there is no reason why they wouldn’t have used it on “Polk Salad Annie”.

Well, in fact they did. :oops: With only All Shook Up missing at the start this is a complete show from I Got A Woman to Can't Help Falling In Love . They've added some bonus songs from other shows and rehearsals at the end but that doesn't mean they didn't record complete shows, I guess. And this exactly is the kind of problem that I have with A Life In Music (which nonetheless is a great book of course): The book doesn't even give specifics about songs that were recorded during Feb. 15th and 19th. Then all of a sudden a complete (well, almost complete) concert of Feb. 15th M/S shows up. Jorgensen might not have known about it when he wrote the book. But the result is: I no longer believe in the information given by EJ concerning the only two or three "selectively" recorded songs ;) each night (Feb. 16th to 19th) he names in his book ...

Anyway, this is not about the Feb. 1970 engagement.

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:14 am

Truth is that one way or another the bootleggers got their first with their releasse of the 26.1.72 Opening Show..... which would have been 100% perfect choice for a FTD release!!!! :shock:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:39 am

I think its time for Ernst/FTD to release the complete Feb. 14th, 15th, 16th & 17th, 1972 Las Vegas shows in its entirety, regardless of song repetition. The sound quality is simply better than any concert recorded by RCA. Even better than the Aloha shows. And if it means making it a 2 CD set, then so be it. Just my 2 cents :wink:

Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:43 am

I'm looking forward to the upcoming August '72 show. Any show from 1972 is a must-have in my view. This is Elvis in '72 - the best 1970's concert year post 1970!