All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Letter to Nixon

Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:56 am

I'm sure many here have seen this letter, (what penmanship), but some may not have.

For discussion: Why do you think it was so important to him to take such a position, and to fancy himself integrating as an accepted member of the non-Establishment? Communist brainwashing techniques?

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall/when_nixon_met_elvis/letter.html

Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:10 pm

I don't think EP ever knew what went on shortly after his letter had arrived at the White House. I wonder what became of the TV Special and album suggested in document 4. There is no mention of it in the summary, so I don't think President Nixon ever mentioned it to EP. Strangely no mention of the BNDD badge either, the reason why EP visited Washington in the first place, or so they say.

I have transcripted the documents for those people that are not able to open them with Adobe Reader.

quasar3 I think the contents answer most of your questions.

Document 3

December 21, 1970
Memorandum for: H.R. Haldeman
Subject: Elvis Presley

Attached you will find a letter to the President from Elvis Presley. As you are aware, Presley showed up here this morning and has requested an appointment with the President. He states that he know the President is very busy, but he would just like to say hello and present the President with a gift.

As you are well aware, Presley was voted one of the ten outstanding young men for next year and this was based upon his work in the field of drugs. The thrust of Presley's letter is that he wants to become a "Federal agent at large" to work against the drug problem by communicating with people of all ages. He says that he is not a member of the establishment and that drug culture types, the hippie elements, the SDS, and the Black Panthers are people with whom he can communicate since he is not part of the establishment.

I suggest that we do the following:

This morning Bud Krogh with have Mr. Presley in and talk to him about drugs and about what Presley can do. Bud will also check to see if there is some kind of an honorary agent at large or credential of some sort that we can provide for Presley. After Bud has met with Presley, it is recommended that we have Bud bring Presley in during the Open Hour to meet briefly with the President. You know that several people have mentioned over the past few month that Presley is very pro the President. He wants to keep everything private and I think we should honor his request.

I have talked to Bud Korgh about this whole matter, and we both think that it would be wrong to push Presley off on the Vice President since it will take very little of the President's time and it can be extremely beneficial for the President to build some rapport with Presley.

In addition, if the President want to meet with some bright you people outside the Government, Presley might be a perfect one to start with.
[Handwritten comment: You must be kidding]

Approve Presley coming in at end of Open Hour ____ s/ H.
Disapprove ______

Document 4

December 21, 1970

MEMORANDUM FOR: THE PRESIDENT
SUBJECT: Meeting with Elvis Presley
December 21, 1970
12:30 p.m.

I. PURPOSE

To thank Elvis Presley for his offer to help in trying to stop the drug epidemic in the country, and to ask him to work with us in bringing a more positive attitude to young people throughout the country.

In his letter to you, Elvis Presley offered to help as much as possible with the growing drug problem. He requested the meeting with you this morning when he presented himself to the guard at the Northwest Gate bearing a letter.

II. PARTICIPANTS

Elvis Presley
Bud Krogh (staff)

III. TALKING POINTS

A. We have asked the entertainment industry - both television and radio - to assist us in our drug fight.

B. You are aware that the average American family has 4 radio sets; 98% of the young people between 12 and 17 listen to radio. Between the time a child is born and he leaves high school, it is estimated he watched between 15,000 and 20,000 hours of television. That is more time than he spends in the classroom.

C. The problem is critical. As of December 14, 1970 1,022 people died this year in New York alone from just narcotic related deaths. 208 of these were teenagers.

D. Two of youth's folk heroes, Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, recently died within a period of two weeks reportedly from drug-related causes. Their deaths are a sharp reminder of how the rock music culture has been linked to the drug sub-culture. If our youth are going to emulate the rock music stars, from now on let those stars affirm their conviction that true and lasting talent is the result of self motivation and discipline and not artificial chemical euphoria.

E. Suggestions for Presley activities:

1. Work with White House Staff

2. Cooperate with and encourage the creation of an hour Television Special in which Presley narrated as stars such as himself sing popular songs and interpret them for parents in order to show drug and other anti-establishment themes are ? (unreadable)

3. Encourage fellow artists to develop a new rock musical theme, "Get High On Life".

4. Record an album with the theme "Get High On Life"at the federal narcotic rehabilitation and research facility at Lexington, Kentucky.

4. Be a consultant to the Advertising Council on how to communicate anti-drug messages to youth.

Document 5

December 21, 1970

MEMORANDUM FOR: THE PRESIDENT'S FILE
SUBJECT: Meeting with Elvis Presley
Monday, December 21, 1970
12:30 p.m.

The meeting opened with pictures taken of the President and Elvis Presley.

Presley immediately began showing the President his law enforcement paraphernalia including badges from police departments in California, Colorado and Tennessee. Presley indicated that he had been playing Las Vegas and the President indicated that he was aware of how difficult it is to perform in Las Vegas.

The President mentioned that he thought Presley could reach young people, and that it was important for Presley to retain his credibility. Presley responded that he did his thin by "just singing." He said that the could not get to the kids if he made a speech on the stage, that he had to reach them in his own way. The President nodded in agreement.

Presley indicated that he thought the Beatles had been a real force for anti-American spirit. He said that the Beatles came to this country, made their money, and the returned to England where they promoted an anti-American theme. The President nodded in agreement and expressed some surprise. The President then indicated that those who use drugs are also those in the vanguard of anti-American protest. Violence, drug usage, dissent, protest all seem to merge in generally the same group of young people.

Presley indicated to the President in a very emotional manner that he was "on your side." Presley kept repeating that he wanted to be helpful, that he wanted to restore some respect for the flag which was being lost. He mentioned that he was just a poor boy from Tennessee who had gotten a lot from his country, which in some way he wanted to repay. He also mentioned that he is studying Communist brainwashing and the drug culture for over ten years. He mentioned that he knew a lot about this and was accepted by the hippies. He said he could go right into a group of young people or hippies and be accepted which he felt could be helpful to him in his drug drive. The President indicated again his concern that Presley retain his credibility.

At the conclusion of the meeting, Presley again told the President how much he supported him, and then, in a surprising, spontaneous gesture, put his left arm around the President and hugged him.

In going out, Presley asked the President if he would see his two associates. The President agreed and they came over and shook hands with the President briefly. At this meeting, the President thanks them for their efforts and again mentioned his concern for Presley's credibility.

Bud Krogh

Document 6

Message from Bev to Lucy
Re: Presley's Gifts to the President

Lucy:

Elvis Presley (believe it or not) was granted an appointment with the President on Monday, Dec. 21. He left these autographed photos with the President. I don't think any acknowledgment would be necessary. For your good disposition! Bev.

Document 7

Letter from Richard M. Nixon to Elvis Presley, 31 December 1970

Dear Mr. Presley:

It was a pleasure to meet with you in my office recently, and I want you to know once again how much I appreciate your thoughtfulness in giving me the commemorative World War II Cold 45 pistol, encased in the handsome wooden chest. You were particularly kind to remember me with this impressive gift, as well as your family photographs, and I am delighted to have them for my collection of special mementos.

With my best wishes to you, Mrs. Presley, and to your daughter, Lisa, for a happy and peaceful 1971.

Sincerely,

Richard Nixon

Document 8

Memorandum from Egil "Bud" Krogh to Neal Ball
Re: Guidance on Jack Anderson Column-Elvis Presley - January 1972

http://tinyurl.com/9et8o

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:36 am

Thanks Melanie, for posting.
I'd read the documents, and just thought the question might stir some interesting discussion.

I think the whole drug thing is hypocrisy at best and a real study into the psychology of EP and his southern roots mentality that dictated a love of God, country, and flag, along with an unquestioned support for the president.

As much as EP was alleged to have been a "searcher" and a reader, I think his overall intellectual world was really somewhat limited.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:39 am

Quasar, after having browsed your posts since you've been on the board, i must say im terribly touched by your deep feelings and affection for Elvis.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:09 am

Kylan wrote:Quasar, after having browsed your posts since you've been on the board, i must say im terribly touched by your deep feelings and affection for Elvis.

My writings about EP might be construed as to-the-left-overly-critical; truth is, I don't consider myself a "fan" since it is short for "fanatic" which defines a person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm.

I just try to remain objective, no matter how unpopular that may be at times.
Last edited by quasar3 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:00 am

Quasar -

You wrote:
I don't consider myself a "fan" since it is short for "fanatic" which defines a person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm

Oh, I reckon the meaning of the word has evolved a bit since it was first coined.

These days, to be a 'fan' of an artist simply means that you enjoy their work above that of others.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:02 am

I don't sit and analyze what a word in the dictionary means. I just enjoy Elvis Presley and what he means to me.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:37 am

Right on Kylan...

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:40 am

ColinB wrote:Oh, I reckon the meaning of the word has evolved a bit since it was first coined.

Humans and their language are not necessarily known for evolution forward. :wink:

These days, to be a 'fan' of an artist simply means that you enjoy their work above that of others.

Sometimes . . . and there's nothing wrong with that.
Too often though, it's extremism when it clouds a person's judgment about another.

Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:41 am

Kylan wrote:I don't sit and analyze what a word in the dictionary means. I just enjoy Elvis Presley and what he means to me.

Well, you don't have to . . . I defined it for you. :wink:

So, then what's all the talk about here on this forum?

Re: Letter to Nixon

Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:43 pm

quasar3 wrote:I'm sure many here have seen this letter, (what penmanship), but some may not have.

For discussion: Why do you think it was so important to him to take such a position, and to fancy himself integrating as an accepted member of the non-Establishment? Communist brainwashing techniques?

For discussion: why have you chosen to embrace the spirit of Albert Goldman with the majority of your postings on this messageboard?

Quit wasting your time -- and ours.

DJC

Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:59 pm

Penmanship isn't an issue as long as nobody gets hurt.

I am absolutely fascinated by the thought/image of him surrounded by ordinary commuters, in an airport terminal without an entourage. He boards commerical planes, armed. Later he gives $500 to a soldier, who is on leave from Vietnam. He eventually makes an unannounced visit to the the White House and gets to meet the President
the same day! How many people, celebrities can say they did that ?

Some say that he just wrote all those things to suck up to the President, because he wanted to get another trophy for his collection. They are wrong, because he went
to the FBI, Mister Finlator, to ask for the BNDD badge.

All these issues have obviously been on his mind for quite some time, he is wearing his heart on his sleeve. At that time he has no idea that he'll meet the President at all. And it might be possible that he didn't believe it himself. I don't see any hypocrisy in wanting to fight illegal drugs. He had respect for fighters of crime and wanted to help.
The White House staff didn't think he was a hypocrite or a dumb hillbilly. Not at all, because they took their time and drew up suggestions, they wanted Elvis to get actively involved. re: album, TV Special.

I can't see anything wrong with being informed about the state of the country, the people. What's so strange knowing about communist techniques? Even I do, because I have a keen interest in history.

He asks the President for the denied badge, Nixon makes him a Federal Narcotics Agent, he now can carry guns across state lines and is listed in the book the government puts out listing all the Fed agents. No harm there! And I can just picture him standing in the Oval Office saying: "I need a keychain for my boys here too." I doubt Nixon followed up on anything Elvis said, some people read way too much into this meeting.

Jerry Schilling talks about that day on EBTP. Two poor boys from TN, now men and standing in the Oval Office. And we see a clip of President Nixon speaking and defending Elvis, saying he didn't think Elvis was a bad example, since all the drugs he took were prescription only. This is part of the Nixon Library too.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:21 am

quasar3 wrote:As much as EP was alleged to have been a "searcher" and a reader,

Do you also "allege" that he was a singer? :roll:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:25 am

carolynlm wrote:quasar,
You are wrong to assume that every post on this board is a favourable comment made toward Elvis. We have quite a number of disagreements over Elvis and his contribution to the music world. That's what makes this board as interesting as it is. But we are all here for the one reason, and that is because we still love the man, and the music he has made, even when we are aware that he was just a normal human being, like most of us. If by being interested in not only the lifestyle Elvis had, and having the ability to literally pull apart every note he had ever sung, is being fanatical, then so be it, but don't condemn those on the board for having this ability. Are you the type of person who thinks of the glass as half empty? Do you purposely try to put a negative aspect on everything? Elvis didn't have the education that we have had, but he was forever (and this is a proven fact) trying to improve his knowledge about things. He was forever asking questions. He was confident enough to actually write a letter to his President, and see it through by requesting a meeting. AND GETTING IT.....this act in itself still astounds me......don't tell me Elvis was not an intelligent man, there are people out there who have degrees in everything from political science to ......whatever.....but couldn't tell you how to put 3 musical notes together......I certainly can't and I consider myself to be of average intelligence........so his penmanship....handwriting wasn't great, have you ever tried to read a doctors prescription......??????
or their notes made in hospital records? If you would ever take the time to study 'handwriting' you will find that most genius' had the same type of handwriting......as I have said in a previous thread, sometimes some of us judge Elvis by todays standards, and that's a big mistake.

The voice of reason and understanding......

You may want to investigate the source for your contempt of EP, Quasar. I have my own criticisms of Elvis, but my admiration for him far outweighs them.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:37 am

Melanie wrote: What's so strange knowing about communist techniques? Even I do, because I have a keen interest in history.

Because that´s ridiculous

I still think that Elvis just wanted to meet Nixon and get his badge. I don´t think he really believed what he said at all, so I hope

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:46 am

You are wrong to assume that every post on this board is a favourable comment made toward Elvis.

Then you shouldn't mind my comments at all. :wink:

Do you purposely try to put a negative aspect on everything?

Nothing much about his lifestyle or the later music was positive, and no one would agree with that more than EP himself.

He was confident enough to actually write a letter to his President, and see it through by requesting a meeting. AND GETTING IT.....this act in itself still astounds me......

If that astounds you, your standards must not be very high. A great many people met Nixon, myself included. So what. (Btw, his visit was viewed as a joke by the insiders at the WH.)

don't tell me Elvis was not an intelligent man, there are people out there who have degrees in everything from political science to ......whatever.....but couldn't tell you how to put 3 musical notes together......I certainly can't and I consider myself to be of average intelligence........

His musical knowledge was extremely limited.
He loved to read, but he was never able to expand outside the limited scope of his southern Baptist, flag-loving mentality.

Had he listened to those few who tried, he'd have accomplished great things, considering his potential.

. . . sometimes some of us judge Elvis by todays standards, and that's a big mistake.

It has nothing to do with today's standards - it's all about the facts back then, and who knows truth from fiction.

It's pretty simple, if you know what you're talking about.
Last edited by quasar3 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:58 am

quasar3 wrote:
You are wrong to assume that every post on this board is a favourable comment made toward Elvis.

Then you shouldn't mind my comments at all. :wink:

Do you purposely try to put a negative aspect on everything?

Nothing much about his lifestyle or the later music was positive, and no one would agree with that more than EP himself.

He was confident enough to actually write a letter to his President, and see it through by requesting a meeting. AND GETTING IT.....this act in itself still astounds me......

If that astounds you, your standards must not be very high. A great many people met Nixon, myself included. So what. (Btw, his visit was viewed as a joke by the insiders at the WH.)

don't tell me Elvis was not an intelligent man, there are people out there who have degrees in everything from political science to ......whatever.....but couldn't tell you how to put 3 musical notes together......I certainly can't and I consider myself to be of average intelligence........

His musical knowledge was extremely limited.
He was a searcher and loved to read, but he was never able to expand outside the limited scope of his southern Baptist, flag-loving mentality.

Had he listened to those few who tried, he'd have accomplished great things, considering his potential.

. . . sometimes some of us judge Elvis by todays standards, and that's a big mistake.

It has nothing to do with today's standards - it's all about the facts back then, and who knows truth from fiction.

It's pretty simple, if you know what you're talking about.

he accomplished more and made more people happy in one hr of his 42 yrs of his life then you will if you lived 100 times over. You seem to have alot of time on your hands so go find yourself an enjoyable hobby and have a good time, and peddle ur contemptable crap somewhere else. Its not wanted here obviously if you have any observational skills.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:59 am

Melanie wrote:Penmanship isn't an issue as long as nobody gets hurt.

Perhaps an everyday person doesn't care - someone in his position should have. The drug-induced scrawlings only reinforced the already-negative opinions of those at the WH.

I don't see any hypocrisy in wanting to fight illegal drugs.

There is a misconception about the drugs - prescription drugs are only legal, as long as one does not use illegal tactics to obtain them.

The White House staff didn't think he was a hypocrite or a dumb hillbilly.

It was for laughs.

What's so strange knowing about communist techniques?

It demonstrated his narrow scope of thought in regards to the country. There were far, far more serious issues affecting the country and the future.

I doubt Nixon followed up on anything Elvis said, some people read way too much into this meeting.

I merely posed a question for discussion.

Jerry Schilling talks about that day . . .

JS is now a sycophant to PB and LMP - that says a great deal about his "objectivity."

Re: Letter to Nixon

Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:For discussion: why have you chosen to embrace the spirit of Albert Goldman with the majority of your postings on this messageboard?

Quit wasting your time -- and ours.

DJC

You guys have a real fixation and hatred for Goldman, haven't you? He was so insignificant.

Obssession clouds perception, and when you've evidently spent far too much time reading fiction, it's difficult to talk facts or employ rational judgment.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:47 am

quasar3 wrote:A great many people met Nixon, myself included.

So now you're alleging you met Nixon too? :lol:

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:15 am

Net wrote:So now you're alleging you met Nixon too? :lol:

A fact. It's not that difficult to comprehend; RN was hardly a private figure, being President of the U.S. Vast numbers of people have met one, or more, presidents.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:42 am

Kylan wrote:he accomplished more and made more people happy in one hr of his 42 yrs of his life then you will if you lived 100 times over. You seem to have alot of time on your hands so go find yourself an enjoyable hobby and have a good time, and peddle ur contemptable crap somewhere else. Its not wanted here obviously if you have any observational skills.

This forum is very enlightening as to who cares about EP as a human being . . . and who does not.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:46 am

Net wrote:
quasar3 wrote:As much as EP was alleged to have been a "searcher" and a reader,

Do you also "allege" that he was a singer? :roll:

Silly question.
The use of "alleged" comes about because the search and love of reading was not so broad as commonly thought; it was rather limited.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:05 am

Spanish eyes wrote:

I still think that Elvis just wanted to meet Nixon and get his badge. I don´t think he really believed what he said at all, so I hope.

This I do agree with. He wanted his federal badge to carry guns across state lines. He wrote in his letter to Nixon, what he thought the president might want to hear. And it was probably close to what he really believed. Hard to say.

----------------------------

As far as the discussion about Elvis' knowledge of music or his intellect as far as music goes, here is what I believe. Elvis had a real feel for music. A real sense of natural rhythm. A unique instinct for music. I would go so far as to say a prodigy. Elvis was gifted so naturally that he was destined to be discovered.

For those that learnmusic in a class room and then apply what they learned out in the field, ie. the stage, can entertain people fine, but they are missing that special quality that Elvis had. Very few have it. It is called charisma and it can't be taught in a classroom.

Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:24 am

carolynlm wrote:You seem to have nothing but utter contempt for Elvis.

Sigh.
You could not be more incorrect.

I do know that most of the people of the US hold their Presidents in the highest regard, . . .

Not discerning freethinkers.

I sincerely hope that this persona you have shown to us is not your true self, how could someone go through their lives with such a chip on their shoulder?

This tactic is a typical one and precisely demonstrates your inability, (not to mention your sheer rudeness), to accurately interpret what is written.

Calm down the histrionics and pay attention - unless you prefer the bandwagon mentality.