All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:29 am

.....(Next stop, ................. The Twilight Zone .................)

N8
...thank you for flying "The Friendly Skies" .......... and please come again ....

Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:59 am

The young aspiring actor Elvis presley circa 1958 would have been very hurt by many of the comments by so-called Elvis fans here.

Hollywood executives USED him, why can't we USE Hollywood?

Some deeper thinking is required here the posturing of some here
is quite juvenile.

We all KNOW Elvis didn't live up to his own expectations regarding the 60s movies. The man was human.

The media put his movies down ad nauseum, and many here should be tabloid journalists.

Brian Quinn is a respected and intelligent Elvis fan-one of the most hardworking I have come across on the www.

Let the mockery commence, the half dozen or so sad individuals spoiling this message board matter little in the vast Elvis Presley community.

http://www.disney.20fr.com/

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:08 am

You guys deadset against it, if you were invited onto a TV or radio talk show to discuss Elvis, if this topic came up about an Oscar, would you say on air the things you have written here? Joke! Haha! Not worth an Oscar! Twilight Zone! His films suck! ! etc etc etc

I suspect on radio or TV you may admit that Presley's cinematic body of work is not worthy of an Academy Award (since you seem to seriously belive that) but it somehow insults the fans who would like to see Elvis get recognition for those 13 years and 31 films he spent trying to please his fans...to even please you. He must have failed. :cry:

Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:36 am

You know... that "using Hollywood" thing actually has some odd justice to it..

It may never happen.. be kinda cool, though. The movies themselves may not be Oscar material, but it'd be great if Elvis himself got one. I know the awards mean a lot, but take the Grammys, which someone brought up earlier... they snub Elvis for all but his Gospel during his lifetime.. yet we now see Eminem win more than one (if memory serves)... where's justice in that? I know it's a different award... just got me thinking, that's all.

Yeah, I'm nuts, I know. And Elvis did hate most of his movies.... but it'd be cool if he got something for his movie-entertainment achievements.

I've said a variation of this before, but all we have to do is subject the Oscar people (or whatever movie award people we're shootin' for) to a few showings of "Beach Blanket Bingo", and if we play "Harum Scarum" right after it, they'll think it's the best movie they'd seen in a long time... LOL!!

(one quick note N8... Mr. Edwards, don't forget your NASA job! Let your sidekick dust crops.. lol - just kiddin' around, had to tease you about that)

I breathe reality in all the time... and it goes right back out when I exhale. lol!

Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:10 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

N8
... just a pilot .... (see ya on Mars, Mike :wink: )

PS - Gonna be investigating that statue on Mars, some say it's the "Face of Elvis" ........... :shock:
Last edited by N880EP on Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:13 pm

Thanks for the link.

I voted ... for Rutger Hauer.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:11 pm

The "Presidential Medal of Freedom" for Elvis sounds like a great idea but how many outside of the US know what that Award is for and what it represents? I don't - it sounds political.

Everyone outside the US knows what an Oscar is and what it would represent. The Honorary Oscar would be in recognition of his overall film career.

Wouldn't it be fair to say Elvis changed the Hollywood musical and kept it alive in a time when it was all but dead? None of the songs from Elvis films were even Nominated for an Oscar - thats an injustice in my book. And why are films like 'Blue Hawaii' , 'Gi Blues', 'Viva Las Vegas' less valid than the twee Musicals that did win Oscars? Because its Elvis?

I know the Movie years and the Vegas years get some stick because its not some peoples idea of the 'real Elvis' but whether these people like the films or not they were succesful around the World. They brought Elvis to places where he never toured. Don't just remember the bad films. James Dean and Bruce Lee made two great films. ELvis made more than that and 'King Creole' should be considered to be amongst the top 100
films of all time.

Elvis brought people of different ages nationalities and social backgrounds together through his films as well as his music. A lot of fans are even united in thier hatred of Elvis films.

If the Oscars are about acting talent. How come Elvis was offered 'an Oscar winning role' and the Colonel was told it was an Oscar winning role before Elvis had acted in the film? So its an Oscar role -regardless of whos in the part and how they act? Doesn't that smell fishy?

An honorary Oscar for Elvis is unlikely and unrealistic I agree as it would go against the grain. Everything negative thats been said about Elvis films over the years has sunk in - all the documentarys books etc. have done Elvis success in the films down. He was the last great musical/actor star. No Rock or Pop star since has anything like the kind of film following that ELvis had. Elvis sometimes made three films a year. Three succesful films would be a film career for some acts. How many did the Beatles make?

If the people who watch and enjoy Elvis films are dumb -then call me dumb.

There is also a humanitarian award category in this Poll. Elvis was a humanitarian right?

Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:31 pm

paulwood wrote:The "Presidential Medal of Freedom" for Elvis sounds like a great idea but how many outside of the US know what that Award is for and what it represents? I don't - it sounds political.

My suggestion was entirely "tongue-n-cheek", folks ...............

paulwood wrote:An honorary Oscar for Elvis is unlikely and unrealistic ..

Full agreement. I would also add to that, "meaningless."

paulwood wrote:If the people who watch and enjoy Elvis films are dumb -then call me dumb.

Since I enjoy them as well, ........ please call me "Mr. Dumber." :D

paulwood wrote:There is also a humanitarian award category in this Poll. Elvis was a humanitarian right?

The great majority of Elvis' humanitarian acts were done anonymously with little of no fanfare .................. it was how Elvis wanted it. Take heed, there is a message in there for those capable of deeper thought on the subject. :wink:

N8
... NASA Mars Rover Engineer Captain ....

(PS - Mike McCoy, ...... preliminary photographic evidence indicates what appears to be the initials "MC" carved into the surface of the monument on Mars ................ perplexing, indeed).

......... (Next stop, ............ The Outer Limits ..............) ..............

Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:00 pm

N8... LOL!!!

Well, I'm a bit of a pilot, myself (since we're the same person if you REALLY think about it. LOL).... I just beat you there and wrote my initials in. With the lack of gravity, though... dang thing took forever...

Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:46 pm

What really annys me is the sneeky suspicion I have that certain people are not trying to get this Oscar for Elvis but to garner publicity within the Elvis world for themselves!

"I'm doing lunch with blaady-blah this weekend." So what... who cares?

We don't!

Can you guess who I'm talking about?

Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:49 pm

(said quietly) LondonFlash!! Shh!! You'll ruin my plans for world domination.. *putting pinky to lips* Mwahahahaha :lol:

I'm on a cazy kick tonight, folks, don't mind me... I'd blame it on the caffeine if I'd had any... :wink:

Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:24 pm

ANDREW SNELGROVE - ladies & gentlemen .............. please give that man an award. For the nail has finally been hit on the head.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mike Mc. - blame it on me ............... it's OK! Our "posturing" is perfectly appropriate for the content of this thread. :wink:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

N8
... the posturing pilot ...........

Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:33 pm

If you guys don't stop this soon,
this post might go to 4 pages... then what... 5, 6,7...
where will it end???

Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:53 pm

N880EP wrote:ANDREW SNELGROVE - ladies & gentlemen .............. please give that man an award. For the nail has finally been hit on the head.

GIVE ME THE BLOODY OSCAR! I'm sure I can find a place for it somewhere :wink:

Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:24 pm

Most the people who voted are arguing that he made a lot of people happy after watching the films. We have to remember that us fans even if the film was really bad (Kissing Cousins?) we liked or at least we were glad to see Elvis. But the ratings were going down so the hapiness of the last film was not enough for most of the people to be back ....

By the way some people can get happy with other things so I propose to get an Oscar to Ginger Lynn. Thankyou very much and like Dr Carpenter said could be a phallus statue !

By the way, this competition started in 2001 ! Dont you see something wrong with that?

Francesc

Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:46 pm

I just read this thread for the first time. I think it's great to see that so many of Elvis' fans (on this board, anyway) are willing to judge Elvis' artistic merit and say that his movie career doesn't justify an Oscar. This is the type of response and attitude that is restoring Elvis' artisitic legacy as people are not willing to gloat over mediocre work with all sorts of adulation, like happened so often in the past and made Elvis and his fans almost comical.

Elvis was a fantastic recording artist and made a significant contribution to bringing together various aspects of American music. That's his true legacy, in my opinion.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:49 pm

Francesc,
Loved the Ginger Lynn analogy. Gee, I wonder where she will keep it?? :wink:

Tom

Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:30 pm

ronnyg, we all know about the fawning fans, but it was the active discerning Elvis Fans who made the world sit up and take notice of Elvis' true talent-which was denigrated by mediocrities with little knowledge of music let alone honesty.

Like us all, Elvis was a mass of contradictions - the Oscar means little, it is the thought that counts.
The huge amount of publicity that would be generated by a Hollywood tribute to Elvis would be, to my way of thinking, priceless.

No publicity is bad publicity. http://community.webshots.com/album/42886863PmMEez

Anyway Elvis in those early 50s movies had us spellbound. He deserves an Oscar for sheer Charisma!

Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:39 pm

disney wrote:it was the active discerning Elvis Fans who made the world sit up and take notice of Elvis' true talent!

Didnt Elvis himself did that ?

Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:42 pm

Maurice,
While I do agree with some of your ideas, I must tell you that this incredibly arrogant and overtly condescending tone you choose to write with is troubling. I sure hope you and your fellow a55 kisser Brian took pictures the night that Elvis visited you from beyond and designated you two snapperheads to be his spokesmen. Despite what you may think and regardless of how you speak or write you two are, by no means, any better than the rest of us common folk. Get over yourselves and you may find that folks will listen to what you have to say. Right now all you are is that "statue nut."

Tom

Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:56 pm

My god Francesc how observant of you. Of course you are right Elvis Really did make them take notice from Albert Goldman all the way down:-)

Tom, a few read your posts. Hundreds of Thousands read my words.

All the real arrogance is coming from the little clique on this Forum.
People are not as stupid as you think they are. Elvis Presley fans are far smarter than you think.

Superficial reading of my posts leads to fools displaying their prejudices.

But I sometimes play with children......oh my...there I go again with that arrogance:-)
http://www.disney.20fr.com/

Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:12 pm

[quote="disney"]
Tom, a few read your posts. Hundreds of Thousands read my words.

All the real arrogance is coming from the little clique on this Forum.
People are not as stupid as you think they are. Elvis Presley fans are far smarter than you think.

Superficial reading of my posts leads to fools displaying their prejudices.

But I sometimes play with children......oh my...there I go again with that arrogance:-)

I'll be the first to admit that Elvis fans are very smart and also very intuitive. In other words, we can spot a fake and "hanger on" a mile away. You are trying to pass yourself off as the second coming of Elvis himself, when in fact all you are is a Lamar Fike wannabee. "Hundreds of Thousands read my words" has got to be the most arrogant thing that has ever been written on this board. Who are these people? All you know how to do is scan every paper in the world and regurgitate other's words, research, and work. Any imbecile can do that. Hell, even a parrot can repeat what it hears. Well, Polly, I sincerely hope that you don't count me as one of you ardent readers. Personally, I think you're a f***ing idiot who has delusions of grandeur and just loves to hear and read his own drivel.

Tom

P.S. As far as "Superficial reading of my posts leads to fools displaying their prejudices." goes, if you will recall Maurice it was you who wrote at one time "I sometimes play with small children" to which I replied "I hope that's all you do with them." You immediately went ballistic screaming "I'm not GAY!!!" First of all, nobody even said you were, but I'm sure you have your reasons for being so defensive. It would seem to me that you were the one displaying their prejudices there, not me or anyone else for that matter.

Tom

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:37 pm

Elvis does not deserve an Oscar in anyway. The oscars do not give honorary oscars to people whose movies just made a lot of money. They give them to people who have a great body of film work behind them. Most of the elvis movies are crap. Even Elvis would say he did not deserve one. Let's get real. there are a lot of people who deserve one before you get to Elvis.

Maybe a MTV Movie Award or a Razzie award. But not an Oscar.

Thu Jun 12, 2003 10:58 pm

Tom, back wallowing in the gutter again. Others can judge the level you sink to.

But before I go. Back in June 1997 the British, "News OF the World"newspaper, printed a few quotes of mine about Elvis, that particular newspaper sells close to 4.5 million copies every Sunday. So about how many read it? You can count can't you. Lol.

Please dont underestimate my arrogance.

Yes, I repeat Elvis should get an Oscar for Sheer Charisma!

Re: VOTE FOR ELVIS TO RECEIVE AN HONORARY OSCAR

Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:01 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Would all readers PLEASE go to the following site to vote and register their comments for Elvis to receive an honorary oscar for his outstanding film career:

http://www.oscarworld.net/awardlobby_re ... obbyld=151

THEN scroll down until you see the name 'Elvis Presley' and click on to register your vote.

Many Thanks.

Why on earth should Elvis receive an Oscar?
There must be more than 100 000 actors who did better acting than Elvis and never earned 1/10 of what Elvis earned by making those 60s pictures. Sure, the movies were (almost until 1969) financial successes, but Oscars aren't given on the grounds of the $ factor.

Elvis was a singer - and a darn good one.
He might be given an honorary Grammy - for lifetime achievement or whatever. But please, spare us from this ridiculous rambling about Elvis as an outstanding actor.
"I didn't make it on playing guitar", he sang so eloquently. And even farther was he from making it on acting.