All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

VOTE FOR ELVIS TO RECEIVE AN HONORARY OSCAR

Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:12 pm

Would all readers PLEASE go to the following site to vote and register their comments for Elvis to receive an honorary oscar for his outstanding film career:

http://www.oscarworld.net/awardlobby_re ... obbyld=151

THEN scroll down until you see the name 'Elvis Presley' and click on to register your vote.

Many Thanks.

Brian :D

Tue Jun 10, 2003 2:50 pm

I agree with Carolyn, Elvis did not have a movie career that deserved an oscar.

Lets be realistic about it Brian.

Andrew

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:15 pm

Would all readers PLEASE go to the following site to vote and register their comments for Elvis to receive an honorary oscar for his outstanding film career

"OUTSTANDING FILM CAREER"???

Come on now. King Creole hardly constitutes an OFC.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:22 pm

>>>>Bizzaro-World thread ALERT<<<<

You might have more success with this endeavor if you start a campaign with the fan-club brigades .................... you know ............ another fan-club gathering "time filler" activity.

Let's try and get-a-grip on reality here, shall we?!

N8
...just a fan....

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:45 pm

I can't believe your attitudes and hypocrisy!

You buy his movies on vhs then laserdisc then vcd and now DVD. With a need-to-know fascination, you question a minuteia of behind-the-scenes stuff and co-star info here on this mb. You even take on a character name from one of his films for your log-in names! Hellloooooo.

But the very moment Oscar is mentioned you turn on Elvis like a pack of dogs and you're all huff and puff "f*ck his movies!!!"

The Elvis Presley film franchise brought more consistent money into Hollywood than any other actor under contract that decade and Hollywood itself never thanked Elvis and probably never said bye bye kiss my ass when he left in '69. They didn't care that he was unhappy with his work, not as long as the $$$ kept rolling in.

The industry took him for granted. And the whole experience - with soundtracks involved - obviously soured Elvis' perspective of what being a movie star was going to be...oh the naive dreams he had as a theatre usher...but his worldwide veiwing audience spent millions and millions on those films you so callously dismiss as not worthy of Academy recognition.

They gave an Honorary Oscar posthumously to the Three Stooges. They can certainly and deservingly give one to the 1960s Box-Office King Elvis Presley. There are more Elvis movies than there are 007 movies. There are more Elvis movies than there are Clint Eastwood westerns. Elvis is a whole cinematic genre unto himself.

He rules - to this day - as the #1 Box-Office Attraction of the 1960s. (Burt Reynolds was #1 in the 70s; Harrison Ford #1 in the 80s)

On Elvis' behalf, I suggest the snotty mean folks who reared their ugly heads on this thread can stick an oscar statuette where the sun don't shine. Sideways.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:55 pm

I salute your passion GG, but respectfully retort:

>>>>BLAH-HAHAHAHAHA!!<<<<

N8
...just a fan....

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:03 pm

Should we start again. Thanks Graceland Gardener. I was beginning to think I was the ONLY Elvis fan on this site. If some of you do not think Elvis is worthy of an 'Honorary' Oscar then that is your problem. I have posted this thread on many other websites and the response has been phenomenal. For my money there are too many 'fans' who will not lift a finger to further the Legacy of Elvis Presley whatever the cause.

Brian :o

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:13 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:Should we start again. Thanks Graceland Gardener. I was beginning to think I was the ONLY Elvis fan on this site. If some of you do not think Elvis is worthy of an 'Honorary' Oscar then that is your problem. I have posted this thread on many other websites and the response has been phenomenal. For my money there are too many 'fans' who will not lift a finger to further the Legacy of Elvis Presley whatever the cause.

Brian :o

Brian - take a D-E-E-P breathe in .......... yeah, that's it, INHALE slowly, now ............. hold it ............................... hold it just a bit more ..........
alright ........... now EXHALE.

Did you get a good whiff of "reality"?

Thought not.

.............more power to you fellow Elvis - FAN ................

N8
...just a fan.... lol ..........

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:24 pm

N8,

Your attitude is so flippant. Why? Do you not like Elvis' films? Do you own any? Hmmmmm.....

The film industry studio heads and MPAA members will most likely agree with your asessment of the subject. They are most likely not Elvis fans at all. Are you? Your pretty blue bwaaahahahahaha's suggest that you're not.

IF you had a username that was an Elvis character name (i.e Dr. John Carpenter, Lonnie Beale, Clint Reno, Vince Everett, etc) I'd pounce all over ya for taking license with an elvis film characterization as a whim for your own alias.

But of course you are a fan of Elvis' jet. Should the FAA ever award the The Lisa Marie and Hound Dog II something special will you bwwaaa hahahah that too?

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:45 pm

Hi GG!

You always seemed to have interesting insight into the Elvis world...
I guess I'm a little surprised that you buy into this "honorary" oscar idea?!?!?
Besides "King Creole" what other movie of E's could warrant such an honor?

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:50 pm

"There are more Elvis movies than there are 007 movies. There are more Elvis movies than there are Clint Eastwood westerns."

GG,
Quantity does not under any circumstances equal quality. Sure, some of them were great, dare I say classics, but most (and this is the very important part so listen closely) were pure 1960's drivel. Elvis, himself, even said that and he ought to know. You and Brian obviously have no idea how the AMPAS operates and the criteria that goes into a decision of this magnitude. While I would love to see Elvis get yet another award, I just don't think that it's ever going to be an Oscar. More likely, they'll give Clint an honorary Grammy for "Paint Your Wagon", or maybe Stallone for "Rhinestone". :D

Tom

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:51 pm

Why would it have to be for one movie in particular. Can't they have an award for his achievement. Do many of us remember what an event it was back in the early sixties with the Elvis movies??
Maybe most here are to young. :wink:

:shock:

Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:53 pm

Hey Tom in North Carolina, I loved that film Rhinestone. :D

8)

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:07 pm

In a recent interview with Tony Curtis in 'Essential Elvis' Magazine, he stated, and I quote. "Every movie you see of his is full of happiness. You know they are very important films. Maybe we do'n't want to acknowledge it now, but I think in the next few years people will realise what a unique person Elvis was". AND HE SHOULD KNOW!!!

Brian :D

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:10 pm

Brian Quinn is one of the most hardworking and respected Elvis fans on the www.

As teenagers we lined up to see Elvis' early movies and returned to see them again and again. The astounding amount of pleasure Elvis gave to the world is almost beyond belief. And here we have the usual handful of spite driven individuals mocking a talent beyond their wildest dreams.

Yes the 60 movies let us all down, Elvis knew it too, but they are out on DVD!!!

Hollywood has made, and is making, billions of dollars out of Elvis an, "Honorary", award is long overdue.

http://www.disney.20fr.com/

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:13 pm

Do you guys forget that the theatrical documentaries THAT'S THE WAY IT IS and ELVIS ON TOUR are part of his film work?
Are they not Oscar-worthy?

(Nah, f*ck his films huh huh)

In 1970 The Beatles' LET IT BE theatrical documentary won an Oscar. Yes, it won and it's nothing but 2 hours of footage of bearded Beatles bitching at each other and playing out of tune.

Real winner there folks. Double standard. The bitter decay of the Fab Four being caught on film is worth an Oscar. But the triumphant concert return of the dynamic superhuman King of Rock being caught on film is not worth an Oscar? TTWII wasn't even nominated. Right?

Elvis Presley's contribution to the world of cinema deserves an Oscar.

But you guys want to f*ck him out of that opportunity. Real fans. Elvis got f*cked out of residuals I'm sure when his movies got siphoned off to local TV markets in the 1970s (That's where most of us saw his movies first right? Channel 17 Sunday Afternoon Movie etc etc)

What is Elvis' acting career deserving of? Ridicule? Many of you have offered alot of that today.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:23 pm

Did that beatles **** really win an oscar??
Well any faith in the powers that be are out the window learning that fact.

:(

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:30 pm

"The only thing worse than watching a bad movie, ....... is BEING in one."

-Elvis A. Presley (on his movie career)

Some of the lame, repetitive story lines ........ after a while....... even started to make Elvis (our hero) physically ill from having to do them.

Like I said, ............... "reality" ............ you should try it some time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some of my favorites (seriously): Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, ............... Flaming Star, Wild In The Country, (both pretty good serious efforts), ......... Blue Hawaii, G.I. Blues, Viva Las Vegas ............ AND ........ are ready for this ......... Double Trouble, Clambake, Follow That Dream, Girl Happy, ..... to name several (all of which I do own, among others).

N8
...just a pilot..........("Mike Edwards" - Seattle Crop Duster Assoc.)
Last edited by N880EP on Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:35 pm

I don't care how big a fan you feel you are - movies like Kissin Cousins, Easy Come Easy Go, Clambake, Trouble With Girls, Paradise Hawaiian Style are not oscar material.

Of course they were money spinners - they had Elvis in them !

Obviously there are some good movies amongst them, and some good performances but for the most part these movies were little more than formulaeic, beach racer travelogs.

Elvis knew most of the scripts were awful - and did the best he could with the material - I seriously doubt even Elvis himself would want an Oscar purely for sheer volume of conveyor belt cookie cutter movies made.

It is possible to enjoy the movies for what they are without being totally unrealistic about it.

If Elvis were to get an award it should be for one of the documentaries..TTWII or On Tour

Clearly there are different types of 'Elvis Fan'

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:45 pm

I don't care anymore. F8ck it. I don't care if he gets an Oscar. You guys are right. I'm wrong. Those films suck - but you'll buy the dvds anyway!

Elvis isn't alive to appreciate any honors at all.
BMG should cease and desist giving his estate gold records too.
If Elvis did get an Oscar it probably be Jack Soden there to pick it up. That don't mean **** in the long run.

Fade to black.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:52 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:If Elvis did get an Oscar it probably be Jack Soden there to pick it up. That don't mean **** in the long run.

I disagree with you on the first point; it would probably be Maurice & Brian at The Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles doing the "honors."

On the second point - I fully agree.

:wink:

N8
...(aka: Mike Edwards)....
Last edited by N880EP on Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:52 pm

I'm sure he should get an award but I think an Oscar is not the one. The Oscars are given the Academy not for fans voting like crazy !

I dont think elvis had an incredible actor career. We buy the films becuase he is in there. I bought other films that I didnt think they were Oscar material.

He has also a Star in Hollywood. Ask non-fans to name some actors and see how many are going to say Elvis .

Obviously all the ones that dont vote, are not "real" fans.

Francesc

Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:02 pm

Elvis' star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is not for his acting career, it's for his music.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 pm

The Brian and Maurice fan club have arrived:-)

If John Wayne could get one......at.......last?

An Oscar for Elvis acting as if he enjoyed those movies is a must!

Amazing how all the most controversial threads get the most attention.

Lighten up folks you are showing your prejudices off remarkable well.

http://www.disney.20fr.com/

Go for it Brian the vast majority of Real Elvis fans enjoy a little fun-the backbighters here are famous all over the www for their negativity.

Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:43 pm

ops thanks for the info. See Im not a fan !