All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Update on Lamar Fike

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:42 am

am really pleased and overjoyed to report that Lamar is having no adverse
reactions to the chemo so far, as a matter of fact he is surprising the
doctors and those of us close to him.

I was talking with him this morning while he was at the doctor's office
getting another 3 hour dosage and he sounded great.

He is showing great strength and a strong will to beat this shitty cancer.
As he said, "I think the strength that I learned from Elvis and the strong
will he had most times to adverse situations, has helped me keep a positive
attitude through all this so far." " I know what I'd really like to do". he
continued. "In about 6 months or so when I'm cured, I'd really like to
travel and visit the fan clubs throughout the country and world and talk to
them about Elvis and the positive attitude and strength
he instilled in me and the guys." "I'd really like to do that and also talk
to them about Elvis in general." "I'd also like to thank all those who sent
me good wishes for a speedy recovery, I greatly appreciate their good wishes
for me."

That sounded great to me and very encouraging as to his spirit and strength
and to me it's amazing how he is handling the chemo and his situation. Most
times you hear about how chemo
negatively effects people but Lamar is showing great strength and his
reaction to it is amazing. That coimes from his doctors too.

Anyone who has heard Lamar speak, even in interviews knows that he is very
entertaining and has a great unusual wit.

When he's cured, I hope the fans will take advantage of the opportunity to
meet him,hear him and talk with him.

Marty

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:26 am

TCBinaflash -

Thanks for passing that on.

I'm sure we all wish him a speedy recovery.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:46 am

Why that is a fine picture of Colonel Sanders there Colinb!

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:31 am

ATTA BOY LAMAR!!!!!!

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:14 am

Is there an address, you can PM me, so that I can send my wishes myself?
I doubt that he reads this...

Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:53 am

Well would such a positive person entertain hearing from such a doubter ?

You'd be surprised I think.

Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:38 pm

I echo the other thoughts in this string. Get well VERY soon Lamar. You're a much needed straight shooter (who was there) in the Elvis world.

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:39 am

IamElvis wrote:Is there an address, you can PM me, so that I can send my wishes myself?

You'd be surprise who reads here.......

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:55 am

Well if Lamar does come here, I would like to say I hope you are felling better! Get Well Soon!!

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:06 am

nigel wrote:I echo the other thoughts in this string. Get well VERY soon Lamar. You're a much needed straight shooter (who was there) in the Elvis world.

gag! excuse me while i throw up, and im not referring to the get well part.

Re: Update on Lamar Fike

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:48 am

TCBinaflash wrote: "I think the strength that I learned from Elvis and the strong
will he had most times to adverse situations, has helped me keep a positive
attitude through all this so far." " I know what I'd really like to do". he
continued. "In about 6 months or so when I'm cured, I'd really like to
travel and visit the fan clubs throughout the country and world and talk to
them about Elvis and the positive attitude and strength
he instilled in me and the guys."
Marty

Lord knows this is the gospel Lamar has spread on Elvis since the day he died. These words of inspiration show what kind of friend Lamar was to Elvis.

Uhmmm.... Kylan hurry up in there I am about to hurl my damn self!!

Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:57 am

Carolyn -

Now be careful...................

Hitler started out by book-burning !

Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:03 pm

When the Goldman book came out it was a best seller and really damaged the reputation of Elvis .
Some people belived what was written and some people didnt but most read it open-minded.
I am sure most thought it was over-the-top and it wasnt until Goldmans 'Lennon' book that the public saw through Goldman for what he was.
Today, the reputaion has been healed and the whole world realise how great Elvis was.
Goldman died a sad pathetic parasite who earned a living about writing rubbish of the famous.

Elvis lives on through his fans and the fantastic talent he had and it keeps getting stronger each year.

Sean

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Look I'm glad Lamar has recovered, but as far as this 'positive attitude' horse manure, I'm ready to blow chunks with Kylan and Tony. For the last quarter century Mr. Fike's 'positive attitude' has consisted of mostly sordid, negative stories about his 'friend.'
Positive attitude, yeah right! We all need to head to our local deli's to get some cheese to go with that baloney!

Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:25 pm

ColinB wrote:Carolyn -

Colin is right Carolyn. However, if you should go camping in the outback take along the Goldman book. That way, if you run low on toilet paper you can put the book to it's most appropriate use!

Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:35 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
ColinB wrote:Carolyn -

Colin is right Carolyn. However, if you should go camping in the outback take along the Goldman book. That way, if you run low on toilet paper you can put the book to it's most appropriate use!

And ...

You can use the Goldman book to help paper-train a dog, or to line up the birdcage :lol:.

Tom (from Ohio)

Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:45 pm

SouthPaw wrote:
IamElvis wrote:Is there an address, you can PM me, so that I can send my wishes myself?

You'd be surprise who reads here.......

Surprise me!

Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:03 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Look I'm glad Lamar has recovered, but as far as this 'positive attitude' horse manure, I'm ready to blow chunks with Kylan and Tony. For the last quarter century Mr. Fike's 'positive attitude' has consisted of mostly sordid, negative stories about his 'friend.'
Positive attitude, yeah right! We all need to head to our local deli's to get some cheese to go with that baloney!

I'm in the chunk blowing line, and agree with you wholeheartedly, Pete!
He does have a sharp wit, and I wouldn't wish anyone ill, but as far as his positive attitude toward Elvis, no thanks! :roll:

Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:13 am

Speaking of the Goldman book..........

An old aquaintance of my Father recently gave me a copy of it. I've read "Careless Love" by Guralnick and I really couldn't see anything that wrong with the Goldman book.

I can understand how it caused outrage at its time of release, but now all that stuff is pretty much out in the open.

What really boils my goat is when Priscilla keeps sweetly referring to "Prescription Medication", when in the words of Sonny & Lamar: "Drugs, man...He ****in' loved 'em!"

Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:22 am

Keggy, the difficulty most have with the Goldman book (aside from its voluminous errors.....do a thread search here to catalog them if you're interested) is the derisive, dismissive, and blatantly hateful attitude of the writer for his subject. Goldman began with his insipid and moronic commentary back in '69, and kept at it until his "work" culminated with his 2 excrementatious tomes. And the animosity towards Fike (which another quick search can document for you as well) stems primarily from his association with Goldman in the production of these literary masterworks. Goldman was nothing more than a frustrated old queen who saw in Presley everything he yearned to be but was incapable of attaining. His hatred destroyed both his work and his life.......and I for one revel in the fact that justice inevitably prevailed here. His rotting, unclaimed and unvisited carcass lies forgotten and scorned while Elvis' legend continues to grow. Time has begun to give perspective to Elvis' vast achievments, and we are witnessing a revival of his reputation and artistry. Albert's inconsequential ramblings are also being reanalysed, and let's just say that his reputatiion is not faring nearly as well.Screw Albert Goldman.

Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:48 am

Well said Scatter, I couldn't agree more. Some of the unsavoury points in Goldman's book may now be accepted truths and not so shocking with the passage of time, but his inability to balance the text with any positive, redeeming elements says more about the author's character than Elvis'. I always promised myself I would never buy the garbage, but it did end up in my possession by way of a girlfriend's father. He was a non-fan and had been given it and thankfully not read it. I graciously accepted the gift, with the phoniest smile I've ever given anyone :lol:

Goldman was a cockroach. I hope Lamar's treatment continues to be a success, but his involvement with that scumbag is good enough reason for me to avoid any event that he speaks at.

I'd like to close by echoing Scatter's very appropriate comment...

Screw Albert Goldman.

Hmm, think I might get a t-shirt made up with that message on :)

Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:42 am

Scatter, beautiful post man!

The Goldman book is a worthless, steaming pile of cow tongue...

His hatered of Elvis is obvious right from the start and Lamar should be ashamed, (after knowing, working and being a friend to Elvis) for ever being associated with such a puke...

It's funny how $$$ makes the world go round and spin heads... :shock:

For all the times I've seen or heard Lamar speak of Elvis, it has always been in a negative light. he never seems to have sumthin' nice or positive to say about the guy...

The 2 things that got to me was when he said (on tv) Elvis "smelled so bad (he covered everything up with BRUT) you could smell him coming"...

The other was when he revealed that Elvis never showered after '74.
I know Billy Smith and Marty Lacker backed him on this.

And these people call themselves family and friends??? were they that desperate for fame and fortune?

F*ck 'em, I say...backstabbing bastards!

I don't wish ANYONE harm or bad will, but I'm not as sympathetic.

Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:46 pm

You know, the more I revisit this thread, the more pissed off I get with this 'Lamar is a straight-shooter' bulls*#t. People, hitting below the belt is not straight shooting! And that's exactly what Lamar has done for the past quarter century in regards to his 'friend.' So he can stick that 'positive attitude' stuff where the sun don't shine (and given the sheer size of his ample a$$ it likely gets less sunshine than Scandinavia!) That's my straight-shooting!

Goldman engaged in a bit of armchair psychiatry in his hate-filled tome, so I'll return the favor. The reason for Goldman's hatred of Elvis was that he, Goldman, was a self-loathing latent homosexual, who was attacted to Elvis. Goldman turned his self-hatred on the object of his attraction. There, I've said it! It needed to be said once and for all! And I'd like to finish by saying what others have already said: screw Ghoul-dman!

Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:08 pm

As much as i`ve always loathed Fike, i do think he probably tells it like it was. Your never going to get a well rounded insight into a life by only knowing about the good times.

Has`nt one of the Jordanaires (Ray ?) in the past described Elvis as always being semi-dirty ? Yet he seems a nice guy.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:48 am

Pete Dube wrote:So he can stick that 'positive attitude' stuff where the sun don't shine (and given the sheer size of his ample a$$ it likely gets less sunshine than Scandinavia!)

W T F!!! Pete, you're not only insulting me but also all the other Scandinavians on this board ;). We have plenty of sunshine down here. Right now I'm looking out of my window and it's beautiful warm sunny day outside. :D

But seriously I don't hate Lamar. I hate the Goldman book but you must remember that Lamar did not write the darn thing. He did the research for Goldman and I'll bet Lamar has wished a million times that he didn't have anything to do with it. I'm not too sure what you and others mean when you say that his been doing the same thing for 25 years. I think The Revelations From Memphis Mafia book which he wrote with Marty and Billy is by far the best book written by any of the MM. I also find the All The Kings Men videos entertaining. He's not putting Elvis down in the book or in the videos. He is funny and a good storyteller.