All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:23 pm

Scatter wrote: Now the question becomes why he never pursued this course. Was the image and the fame too deeply entwined psychologically?? Was he afraid to let go of everything he had built, even though the edifice he had spent a lifetime constructing was crushing him beneath its weight??Was it his well known tendency to avoid confrontation (which this change in lifestyle would have in spades)?? Or was he not really serious about missing his calling??

Scatter -
I think with Elvis it's a classic case of 'the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.' And as time went on his spirit was smothered by his many worldy desires.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:00 pm

Scatter wrote:
Trevell wrote:Apparently, Larry Geller tried to urge Elvis to take the "minister" route sometime in the mid 60's. I think Elvis and the rest of the boys thought the idea was rather silly.

And they were correct......because what Larry proposed had nothing to do with the Gospel and would not have provided sufficient change in lifestyle.Hell, when EP started taking this pablum seriously, it didn't affect a single thing. Besides, that is not the time frame to which we were referring, which moots your point. The late 70s Elvis was at a juncture in his career where drastic change may have been the only way out. Elvis was in a temporary slump in the mid 60s......hardly the time to contemplate abandoning it all

Although I didn't refference the same time frame, this was still an idea that was entertained throughout his life, including the late 70's. From my understanding, what Larry was proposing was for Elvis to promote a deep, spiritual message to his audience. Something he felt would make Elvis' life more fulfilling. I don't think it made much difference wheather it had to do with the Gospel, New Age or even the Eastern ideas and philosophies Elvis was interested in. He found meaning in all of it. If he chose, certainly he could have preached it on a massive scale. I woundn't have had any problem with that. I just don't think it's something Elvis was intersted in or motivated to do. Elvis got his message out through music and singing period. Gospel, Blues, R&B, Rock, Latin, MOR, Country, Rockabilly... It's all sacred when Elvis sings it!

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:45 am

Trevell wrote:
Scatter wrote:
Trevell wrote:

Elvis got his message out through music and singing period. Gospel, Blues, R&B, Rock, Latin, MOR, Country, Rockabilly... It's all sacred when Elvis sings it!

Well said Trev!!!!!

Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:52 am

Pete Dube wrote:
Scatter wrote: Now the question becomes why he never pursued this course. Was the image and the fame too deeply entwined psychologically?? Was he afraid to let go of everything he had built, even though the edifice he had spent a lifetime constructing was crushing him beneath its weight??Was it his well known tendency to avoid confrontation (which this change in lifestyle would have in spades)?? Or was he not really serious about missing his calling??

Scatter -
I think with Elvis it's a classic case of 'the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.' And as time went on his spirit was smothered by his many worldy desires.

I Agree Pete ( as any self respecting syncophant would :wink: ). Taking up the Cross is challenge enough for any of us.....can you imagine how hard it must have been for someone like Elvis with so much to walk away from?? I doubt I could have done as well as he did.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:04 am

While we're talking gospel music.......................

I just listened to the master of Amazing Grace and noticed a mistake !

At around 2:42 Elvis sings:

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, to save a wretch like me"

While at the same time The Nashville Edition, Millie Kirkham et al sing:

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me"

You'd have thought he'd have got it right by Take 5 !

Actually, he does get it right on Take 2 [70's Masters]

Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:14 pm

The Bible belter Little Richard gave up the limelight and returned to the Gospels, time and again, but Rock 'n' Roll stole his soul too.

The Jesuits are famous for saying, "Give us the boy till he is seven, and we will give you the man".

That's all it takes to indoctrinate for life!

But some of us go AWOL:-)