All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:01 am

Elvis's Gospel music. It's difficult to explain it in mere words.

I first heard the songs when I was still, just about, a believer in 1957.

1964 I no longer believed at all, but still enjoyed the Gospel songs for what they are. Beautiful music with universal appeal.

Just like ALL beautiful music, it needs no explanation. I can't understand a word as Maria Callas sings an Operatic aria.

But I know the sound is wonderful. Uplifting. We aspire in all the arts to create. Some gifted individuals simply astound us. Elvis is one of them.
Last edited by MauriceinIreland on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:09 pm

Graceland Gardener wrote:Elvis had a calling

- as it's said, many are called....

he was shined upon in this dark cloudy world

after army, entering Sixties
he had a young senatoresque public service about him,
an outward helping sense with underpriveleged children and charities,
a physical fitness unpeered in his generation,
and yes he was thanking heaven literally for his good fortune and bounty while doing gospel albums like "His Hand in Mine"
It wasn't product, It was personal.

[[[edited to please Ken]]]

one of my best posts, If I say so myself.
Gosh, if only to get one tenth of the "great Post!" comments showered upon LTB.

point is, who among us would really object to Elvis answering a calling to a ministry and resent him ever doing that ?!?

Who here would expect Elvis, had he lived beyond 42, to still play "Burning Love" in Vegas?

Got a problem with Elvis believing in the lyrics of Gospel music?

he did believe.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:37 pm

GG, How can I follow that...........again:-) It's poetry. Maurice.
Last edited by MauriceinIreland on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:00 pm

If that was one of your best posts, GG, you’d better hand in your keyboard right away. Not only did you post your poorly written gibberish once, which is fine by me, but you felt the self-important need to repeat the entire post in case someone missed it the first time around. In my book, that’s a crime against every user of this board; there is a reason why this board runs slowly. I’m shocked, and that’s quite an achievement, because I don’t shock easily.

When I first read the post in question, I wondered if you were drunk, on drugs, or in a religious fervor. I’m still wondering, although I really don’t need to know. I would actually prefer not to know.

I realize that you will be pissed off at what I’ve written above. Be that as it may. This is not the first time I’ve stuck my head into the lion’s ass, nor will it be the last.

Ken

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:12 pm

Maurice -

You wrote [about GG's rambling post]:
It's poetry

It ain't - it don't rhyme !

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:13 pm

Great post, Ken. Actually, piss off.

the Mb runs slow because of all the jpegs uploaded here across 4 different forums here; elvis, ot, alt cover art, etc.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:52 pm

ColinB wrote:Maurice -

You wrote [about GG's rambling post]:
It's poetry

It ain't - it don't rhyme !

For Better or Verse, It's poetic licence.

Now ColinB, and little ol' me, have been busy here all day long.
I'd write a poem but why should I roam, when the folks want a Gospel song.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:12 pm

Maurice -

Now that did rhyme !

And it still ain't poetry !

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:27 am

ColinB, Hmmm.

"Come away oh human child, to the waters and the wild, with a faery hand in hand, for the world's more full of weeping , than you can understand". WB.YEATS.

Read it on a plaque in Glencar county Sligo Ireland. 1972.

We camped beside a famous waterfall there, in a force ten gale...now that was poetry in motion!

And Elvis?

faeries, leprechauns,........... elves. We're getting there:-)
Last edited by MauriceinIreland on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:51 am

MauriceinIreland wrote:ColinB, Hmmm.

"Come away oh human child, to the waters and the wild, with a faery hand in hand, for the world's more full of weeping , than you can understand". WB.YEATS.

Maurice, I believe that was actually written by Michael Jackson.

Colin - you want a poem I'll give you a poem:

There once was a lad named Colin
For a fair young damsel he'd fallen
But when he took off his knickers
The lass responded with snickers
And embarrassed young lad Colin left ballin'

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:06 am

Pete -

I'm speechless.

I mean, why was I in knickers in the first place ?

Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:00 am

Colin -
I don't have an answer for that question, but it's just as well that I don't. Some things should remain a mystery!

Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:17 am

Every so often this message board reaches new heights of the absurd.

Elvis Presley as an ordained minister.

You are all joking right?

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:18 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Every so often this message board reaches new heights of the absurd.

what is absurd is -

many fans here having a selfish myopic expectation of Elvis (had he lived many more years) to still wear a gaudy 70s jumpsuit and sing the same 70s setlist songs over and over.

That's absurd.

Even Rod Stewart dresses nice and conservatively and sings different material than he did when younger. It's a maturing phase in one's career.

Elvis wouldn't do as such?
Comeon! Ripping the seat out of flashy jumpsuit with a karate squat at 50 years old? Ha, ha the drunken Vegas crowd laughs as usual.

that's absurd.

If Elvis had dropped secular material and image, it would have been to do full-time gospel and dress normal. Don't be afraid to entertain that thought.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:38 am

Peter Dube, Michael Jackson! A lowblow:-)

KiwiaAlan, we are deadlly serious around here...where HAVE you been?

GG, Yes, Elvis was always movin' on.

Back to Gospel.

Pat Boone will be appearing at the Millennium Forum in Derry Ireland later in the summer, followed by an "Elvis" show in August.... and Josef Locke nearby in Bronze:-) His soul goes marching on..........
Last edited by MauriceinIreland on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:47 am

So are you saying if Elvis had lived, his only two choices would be to be an ordained minister or continue wearing jumpsuites, singing the same old songs?

Now that's absurd...

Had Elvis lived, I don't know what the hell direction he would have taken, but I'm pretty damn sure it wouldn't have been either of those choices.
Graceland Gardener wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Every so often this message board reaches new heights of the absurd.

what is absurd is -

many fans here having a selfish myopic expectation of Elvis (had he lived many more years) to still wear a gaudy 70s jumpsuit and sing the same 70s setlist songs over and over.

That's absurd.

Even Rod Stewart dresses nice and conservatively and sings different material than he did when younger. It's a maturing phase in one's career.

Elvis wouldn't do as such?
Comeon! Ripping the seat out of flashy jumpsuit with a karate squat at 50 years old? Ha, ha the drunken Vegas crowd laughs as usual.

that's absurd.

If Elvis had dropped secular material and image, it would have been to do full-time gospel and dress normal. Don't be afraid to entertain that thought.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:24 am

Most here would agree that Elvis died because at heart he had lost his sense of purpose. Most are also aware that as a young man Elvis was deeply conflicted as he pursued Rock stardom, when he believed he had a genuine calling to the Gospel and Gospel music. He loved being ELVIS PRESLEY, but the larger that name loomed on the musical landscape the more he felt that he had indeed missed his calling. He compensated by incorporating a diluted theology that he hoped would let him have the best of both worlds and could be assimilated into his SuperStar lifestyle. In the end, it is indisputably obvious that the amalgam mixed about as well as oil and water, and left him a shell of his former self. As he neared the end of his life, his belief that he had missed his calling did not abate, but rather intensified, despite his spiritual wandering.
Elvis, by abandoning the secular to embrace the Gospel, could have rediscovered PURPOSE for his life. A little clean living and a focus on something (or rather Someone) higher than himself could have proved lifesaving.....literally.
The negative responses to this idea, I couldn't help but note, come from those who express their disbelief. This is not about what YOU would like to have seen Elvis do.....it is about what Elvis himself expressed a desire to do many times. It is about what that path could have done for HIM, a person who sincerely BELIEVED. I acknowledge that such a path would have done nothing for those who are agnostic or atheist.......but that is not the point, is it?? Simply ask yourself what such a change in direction with its concomitant change in lifestyle could have done for a person who believed as ELVIS did, not as you do. Most of us say that he might have lived longer had the Colonel or the MM or RCA or the drugs been out of the picture......well all that would be accomplished by a sincere pursuit of the Sacred.This is not a debate on the existence of God. This is about what the change in course would do for Elvis as someone who DID believe. Lay aside your biases and ask yourself how it would have impacted HIM.
Now the question becomes why he never pursued this course. Was the image and the fame too deeply entwined psychologically?? Was he afraid to let go of everything he had built, even though the edifice he had spent a lifetime constructing was crushing him beneath its weight??Was it his well known tendency to avoid confrontation (which this change in lifestyle would have in spades)?? Or was he not really serious about missing his calling??

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:50 am

Scatter, good points.

Elvis did lose purpose and moral compass as years went by, as the murky view of his future set in

what was "killing" Elvis in spirit was the redundancy of the same schtik.

what praytell was he looking forward to, in August 1977, for September and beyond?

what was next due in his image status quo...

the laser suit, of course, because of star wars

then what ? a 1979 Disco Album. ?

Elvis, my man, put on a t-shirt and jacket (or a nice suit like you wore in "Speedway") no more jumpsuits!
- grab your acoustic guitar and go away with J.D and friends and play for fun, from the heart, for the Lord if need be to define the work as such,
don't involve that greedy letcherous Parker,
and for God's Sake,
AVOID THE ESTABLISHED "ELVIS" IMAGE & LIFESTYLE.

that could've saved his life, saved his dignity in the process.
Last edited by Graceland Gardener on Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:52 am

Scatter, we are informed Elvis was always searching hence all those strange books he was reading. Perhaps he too was unsure of the so called TRUTH.

Why would his faith need reinforcing all the time. The Old and New testament say it all for Christians, the need for interpreters like Geller etc always amuses me.

No one knew Elvis like they think they did, that has been my experience from reading a great quantity of the literature about his life. The man hardly said a word!

But sing them he could!
Last edited by MauriceinIreland on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:09 am

I think that Elvis found his calling in pursuing music in general. I think a lot of his musings about being a preacher came from the fact that his legitimate contributions were never recognized during his lifetime. His music did change a lot of people's lives and minds and for the millions that it didn't affect that deeply it gave them a brief respite from the pressures of their own lives. He also created something close to a permanent art. This was something that was never made clear to Elvis. Marlon Brando went through a lot of the same thing. He always talked of being some great politician or a poet because he was made to feel that acting was a trivial pursuit.

Nobody would have objected if Elvis had decided to pursue a course akin to the one pursued by Al Green but it says a lot that he didn't. Al Green's religious epiphany was keyed by a shocking incident where he was attacked by a mistress who dumped a pot of scalding grits on him and then committed suicide. Elvis had some similar wake up call incidents and didn't change. He also was a not a person that needed to "find" God. A religious devotion was always an important part of his life. You can have religion as an important part of your life and express a desire for a deeper meaning without becoming a minister.

Whether he would have been happier with a simpler life or the life of a minister is something we can't answer. Elvis liked money. Elvis liked sex and Elvis loved fame. One of the interesting passages in Priscilla's biography comes when she mentions how difficult it was for Elvis to come down after his concerts and how the affection she gave him could not match the adulation Elvis received on a nightly basis from the crowd. This of course was an unnatural relationship but it was something that Elvis wanted from the moment he started his career. No Kurt Cobain ambivalence here.

T-shirts were not for Elvis.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:13 am

Apparently, Larry Geller tried to urge Elvis to take the "minister" route sometime in the mid 60's. I think Elvis and the rest of the boys thought the idea was rather silly.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:17 am

likethebike wrote:T-shirts were not for Elvis.

Good point likethebike and once again another great post.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:33 am

Trevell wrote:Apparently, Larry Geller tried to urge Elvis to take the "minister" route sometime in the mid 60's. I think Elvis and the rest of the boys thought the idea was rather silly.

And they were correct......because what Larry proposed had nothing to do with the Gospel and would not have provided sufficient change in lifestyle.Hell, when EP started taking this pablum seriously, it didn't affect a single thing. Besides, that is not the time frame to which we were referring, which moots your point. The late 70s Elvis was at a juncture in his career where drastic change may have been the only way out. Elvis was in a temporary slump in the mid 60s......hardly the time to contemplate abandoning it all

Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:27 pm

Brilliant conversation gang! Just a side note, just seen an interview with the actor playing EP in the mini-series. Anyway he says he's really getting into the music of Elvis, especially his GOSPEL music.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:40 pm

t-shirts? yes, he did wear them.
Great post, LTB. Great!

---- you like that Elvis became an overworked vegas lounge act?
and dressed like a carnival freak show.
Reaching a boiling point and cussing and making threats on stage (9/2/74)

yes, very respectable

the Elvis of 1961 would be sooo proud of his behavior in the 1970s.
Would his mother be proud too?

aches and pains? What to do> Prayer?
Healing for Elvis?

Elvis call upon the Lord to heal him?

No!!! not that hokey religious path.
Do the smart thing. The worldly thing.
The normal thing. The scientific thing.

Just write him a prescription.
and another.
and another.

we all know where that ended up.