All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:17 pm

Eileen, I agree and I would not like to see the old posts go.

Did you wander into my dream last night ? :lol: I actually dreamt about an archive forum! I know but today is Saturday and the nurse will be round with the weekly meds today, so I should be allright again for a while.

Here's the big problem:
The database is over 4 times the size the maximum limit requested as a limit by the host.
There is no auto facility to stop it growing, it is just a host request more than anything.

Something has to go. The pruning facility was tried and the first few days of the forum from April 16th 2003 were deleted as a test.

Because the pruning facility only allows an older range to be deleted as opposed to specifying a range thats newer we can't load a copy of the database onto another forum and delete recent posts to leave only the old ones.

Hmmm.....we could.....have duplicate posts still running on both though, wouldn't matter if the "archive forum" still ran slow.........

Nothing has been done yet other than that small test and I will find a way of keeping them somehow, maybe under another domain or sub domain.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:35 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Torben wrote:Sir Steve
The forum is slow at the moment.
Do something!

You can attribute much of this to elvisgirl/Poul/BornInTrouble and her neverending supply of Wacko Jacko pics.

Tom

TOM please tell me what picture I have put on the forum. I am sure that it is your stupid personal attacks on other Members of this Forum that make it slow.

Steve wellcome as Admin.

Best Regards

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:38 am

Congratulations Steve!

Best Regards
Renan.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:57 am

Steve_M wrote:Eileen, I agree and I would not like to see the old posts go.

Did you wander into my dream last night ? :lol: I actually dreamt about an archive forum! I know but today is Saturday and the nurse will be round with the weekly meds today, so I should be allright again for a while.

Here's the big problem:
The database is over 4 times the size the maximum limit requested as a limit by the host.
There is no auto facility to stop it growing, it is just a host request more than anything.

Something has to go. The pruning facility was tried and the first few days of the forum from April 16th 2003 were deleted as a test.

Because the pruning facility only allows an older range to be deleted as opposed to specifying a range thats newer we can't load a copy of the database onto another forum and delete recent posts to leave only the old ones.

Hmmm.....we could.....have duplicate posts still running on both though, wouldn't matter if the "archive forum" still ran slow.........

Nothing has been done yet other than that small test and I will find a way of keeping them somehow, maybe under another domain or sub domain.

Do you have stats by board? Can you run the pruning by board?

I would be fine with only 60-90 days of Picture Section, Chat-Talk, Off Topic, and Trade Center sitting on the 'current' board. However the stats might show the only real issue is All Elvis, possibly also Picture Section and Alternate Cover Art.

I still think we need to either use (define usage of) Elvis In The Media or archive and remove it from the 'current' board. If removed would be nice if it could be merged into All Elvis, but not sure if that is possible.

Agree, it wouldn't matter so much if the archive forum ran slow.

Glad to hear you'll find a home for everything.

Eileen

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:18 am

Steve -

If old posts are deleted, does the 'total posts' figure decrease ?

Some of us have worked long & hard to achieve the totals we have !

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:41 am

Eileen, those forums repesent a small percentage of the overall board, so taking them down to 60 days is not going to make a difference.

I've noticed trends on this site over the past year which don't seem so apparent on other sites irrespective of the topic of the board.

I recall when the 68 Special DVD came out there were threads being opened left right and center on only mildly different themes on a similar topic.

It someone had a color rpoblem with green someone else might have something similar but with red and deemed it necessary to open up a new thread on the subject. (This is slightly made up so as no one can find the real threads and point fingers)

But what we get is the same people helping with responses that are the same as they've already posted in the other thread. This not only artificially increses the posts held on the database, but worse - the threads held on there.

We have yourself looking at older topics, which is great, but we seem to have others who cannot be bothered, which to a point I understand even if I can't agree with that.

A balance has to be found and it is hard to find one in which everyone is not going to have some disappointment in some way with the solution. But the alternative is to leave it and have the whole thing crash and be left with nothing at all. Then we'd be asked why we didn't do something before it was too late.

Nothing is finalised and options are being considered and others are being sought. We know what we'd like to achieve and it's a question of looking at if it is feasible and if so is it viable and practical with any of the options available.

Colin, I don't think it does that calculation at all with the post count. I notice that yours hadn't dropped (post count that is - nothing to do with your high pitched voice) and that you were surely one of those posting almost straight away after the April 16th / 17th 2003 start date for the current board. It was the initial posts on those first few days that were dropped during the test.

Ideally we are looking to have to archive a potential 75% - 80% of the database, this seems high as a percentage, so again this is not set in stone.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:11 am

If I understand correctly Steve, it sounds like the vast majority of space is being used by All Elvis. So then there isn't a reason to archive any other boards. And most of the valuable info is in All Elvis anyway.

If you dup the board do you have any additional options that might shrink the archive copy such as removing avatars?

Can't imagine this would be a popular notion here but..... avoiding avatars and sigs, or requiring sigs to be text only, might have an impact on board growth for the future.

Some forums do disallow one or both (avatars, sigs).... It could be interesting to find out sizes on comparable dbs with this policy vs. what you are dealing with here.

Eileen

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:27 am

Eileen, the database is a text holding utility only and does not hold images, but merely a tiny text for the URL of the image(s) which are stored seperately elsewhere.

The webspace for the site holds avatars - pictures - files etc, but this is seperate to the database which only holds text.

Yes, the "All Elvis" forum is the one that would be affected the most in any pruning and archiving.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:31 pm

Steve -

Are there things we can do to help ?

One thing that always bugs me is, when someone replies to a massively long post, they simply copy & paste the entire thing again, adding a short comment or sometimes just a smiley face at the bottom.

Such a waste of space !

I'm always selective about the bits which I 'quote'.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:59 pm

That's a hard balance to try and achieve Colin. That would help, I'm sure.
But there's something else that has to be taken into consideration and that is that this board is very popular and successful, so to make fundamental changes in the way people are asked to participate could lead to people not wanting to bother to make such efforts.

It never hurts to set an example to influence the way people post, so that would be a positive step.

If anything your suggestion would help to keep a neater, tidier board anyway. There are some utilities I could introduce that I use on my site where no mattter what size quote someone inserts it only displays a small box of a couple of lines and you have to click a "select" option to list the whole quote.

Also, with pics I'm sure I could introduce a thumbnail insert modification option where if someone posts a picture the thumnail version only appears and if anyone wants to see the original pic they click on it and a new browser window opens up dispalying the picture.

This will help pages load faster I'm sure.
But it's the same as saving energy Colin. None of us individually will do anything by turning our one light bulb off when we leave a room, but collectively we can all make a difference.

Just to set the record straight as well, I'm not an Admin, I'm just a moderator. When it comes to fundamental changes to the site I operate in the capacity of making suggestions to the Admin and I can make those changes if they agree or leave it to them to implement those changes. I'm not here to mess around with this site in any major way without the consent of the Admin.
I didn't want people getting the wrong idea and create concerns that I was "taking over" :lol:

I didn't ask to be a moderator, I was invited and my first reply to the invitiation was "NO!" :lol:
I think that some people have pre-conceived ideas about "moderators" but if I can help in a technical way then I felt that the balance was tipped towards having to do it for the benefit of everyone as that also includes me as well:wink:

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:14 pm

Steve -

Thanks for the response.

It is a pity that any deletion of 'old' posts has to be so indiscriminate.

There are posts with detailed lists which contain a great deal of valuable info, from the likes of Mr.Statistic, Keith, The Doc, Steve M, and the rest.

There are some great analytical posts from posters like likethebike and the rest.

These are worth preserving.

Then there are the more 'rubbishy' things like trivia quizzes, polls and jokey or gossipy comments which could be deleted the next week !

Or better still, I could stop posting them in the first place !

But to sweepingly delete posts simply based on their age seems a heavy-handed way of solving the space problem.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:19 pm

Hey, it's good to have you as Moderator Steve. Although I liked the spookiness of not knowing who the hell was in charge!

What I want to know is how you can be Moderator here and also on your other site! :shock: Have you developed a way of being in two places at once. :? And if so, can you do my job tomorrow and I'll take the day off!

Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:24 pm

Colin, deletion will be a last resort. If it has to be then it has to be, but I don't think it needs to be. One way or another those posts from the past will survive.

Getlo, I carry a rather strange bunch of cyber keys that access many Elvis sites. My biggest worry is that one day I'll put someone elses datbase back on the wrong server and y'all wonder where you are. :lol:

Fan power!
Elvis recognised that without the fans he would have amounted to little. So as a fan of everything he had the opportunity to do I relaise it is the fans as much as Elvis that I have to thank for being a fan myself.

I'm not alone with this way of thinking and anything I can do to help other fans share in the Elvis experience I'm only to willing to do. The incentive is that it also enhances my experience as a fan as well.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:52 am

BornInTrouble wrote:
Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Torben wrote:Sir Steve
The forum is slow at the moment.
Do something!

You can attribute much of this to elvisgirl/Poul/BornInTrouble and her neverending supply of Wacko Jacko pics.

Tom

TOM please tell me what picture I have put on the forum. I am sure that it is your stupid personal attacks on other Members of this Forum that make it slow.

Steve wellcome as Admin.

Best Regards

tom can't tell the difference between us. his problem
but don't expect anything will be done about his personal attacks. he can do whatever he want here and get away with it. even when it's against the rules

Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:49 am

Steve -
Congratulations on your recent promotion to official FECC hall monitor. All previous posts have been attempts to suck-up to you and score brown-nose points. I, on the other hand, will never steer you wrong if you will just take my advice, your royal FECCness. Now that you are the Dean Wormer of the board you must rule with an iron hand! Put troublemakers, rabblerousers, and general miscreants on double secret probation. If that doesn't work then banish them to the island of misfit FECC boardmembers (Genesim's lonesome).
Your most humble, lowly, unworthy, boot-licking, synchophantic servant Pete.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:22 pm

Pete Dube wrote:Steve -
If that doesn't work then banish them to the island of misfit FECC boardmembers (Genesim's lonesome).

Its going to get mighty crowded there :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:56 pm

Ha! I could do better than that. :lol:

I could make it so that certain members get a group name attached to them and create a new forum where only they can post and they'd get stopped from posting elsewhere on the site.

Sort of solitary confinement forum. :lol: :lol:

Of course everyone else can read only in that one, just for the voyeurs amongst us.

So, that got me to thinking - I know, but the novelty will wear off.

Which combination of two members would would be the funniest to watch ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please don't answer that - it was rhetorical, just to get you thinking. :wink:

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Congrats Steve!

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:37 pm

Perhaps this means that we finally can get rid of the posts/members that are full of hate, name-calling and over all lacks the social skills that everyone participating here should have...A moderator that actually reads every post to see that all the guidelines are followed...and if not, takes the steps required. Thank you.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:03 pm

Scarre wrote:Perhaps this means that we finally can get rid of the posts/members that are full of hate, name-calling and over all lacks the social skills that everyone participating here should have...A moderator that actually reads every post to see that all the guidelines are followed...and if not, takes the steps required. Thank you.

we can only hope cause that's certainly what we need around here

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:17 pm

Not quite, but the principal is the same I guess.

I probably have read every single post since I was elevated as some like to put it. But that doesn't mean I will be able to all the time.

The way the system should work is that members should be able to approach me in confidence if they feel there is a problem. If they don't deem it necessary then I see no reason why I should step in just because I think I should when it may be that no one really has a problem.

There would be obvious exceptions where I would act I suppose rather than wait for what is obviously inevitable.

But that's not really the role of a moderator.
When I initially declined the invitation it was on the grounds that I was aware of peoples perception of a moderator, almost someone to dislike because they would play God on a message board.
Well that ain't me and I don't want people to change the way they are to me or anything because they think I'm in some way differrent now.

Scarre, a tighter more efficient message board, certainly for the All Elvis section is something I will strive to get. I won't do it in a negative or aggresive manner, but to try and influence it in a positive way by example.

Collectively we are going to encourage some good calibre threads in the future and entice new members who have something to offer who otherwise wouldn't participate because the calibre of threads in general doesn't appeal to them at present.

I may introduce a "Thread of the month" and take nominations and then a poll to vote on those top 5 nominations. I have no idea as to what reward could be given, but we'll think of something.

So I don't see my role as one who hands out punishment or deletes or bans members or anything negative, I see it as something to help add in a positive way to the board overall.

Personalities and their egos will always be a feature, not a lot I can do about that :wink:

Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:23 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:tom can't tell the difference between us.

It's really hard to when there is no difference between the three of you. The real tragedy is that you can tell a difference.

Tom

Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:49 pm

Steve -

I'm not sure if this comes within your remit.

But there is a note on the MB which says:

"The most members on line was 106 on 30th March, 2005"

This is untrue.

The MB had gone haywire that day & the counter wasn't accurately recording the number of posters on line.

Any chance of this being corrected ?

Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:35 pm

I am aware of this Colin.

As moderator it isn't within my remit officially, but I can correct it - but to what is the problem.

Technically is is never a true reflection of anyone moment in time as it takes it from a 5 minute update. Possibly with the timer going up the shoot after the clocks changed I think it took a snap shot of 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:23 am

Steve -

You wrote:
As moderator it isn't within my remit officially, but I can correct it - but to what is the problem.

To the previous 'most on line' figure & date, which was correct.