:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HUH???

8)

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:14 am

Pssst....Shhhhhh......don't tell FECC admin - they don't know yet. :wink:

Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:05 am

MR ADMINISTRATOR! :P 8) :lol:

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:20 am

I for one am glad we finally have one and I couldn't think of anyone better.

Now we actually have someone to bitch to...haha

Moderator Steve

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:39 am

And a very good morning to you , Steve .

Re: Moderator Steve

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:48 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:And a very good morning to you , Steve .

I believe it's Sir Steve! :lol: :lol:

If he has the technical knowledge to assist FECC (which he obviously has), why not?

Jordan and Christian M are at least two who have benefited from his help.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:06 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence - I think :lol:

I was one of the those that clicked the link in the e-mails that got sent out - a page opened up and said:

"Congratualtions, you are now a moderator of the site,

In order to finish the qualification procedure - go and fix the problem!
"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, seriously, please don't do that yourselves! :wink:

There's always one somewhere who would. :lol:

I didn't fix the problem, so I'm not even gonna take credit for that, but I think it was a good excercise and something was gleaned from it which I hope will make for better service to all very soon. :wink:

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:45 pm

Sir Steve

The forum is slow at the moment.

Do something!

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:46 pm

I`m delighted you are here....they could`nt have got a better person :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: .

Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:48 pm

Blue-Gypsy wrote:I for one am glad we finally have one and I couldn't think of anyone better.

What About Curtis Simpkins?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:08 pm

Moderator..Steve_M?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:30 pm

Great that Steve_M is Moderator 8)

Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:47 pm

Thanks Andy,

I'm still me, though :wink:

I don't particulaly dig the opening board with my name under every forum. That looks a bit wierd.

Free for all the picture section though :lol:

Torben, the speed is being looked at with a few options open to help it along.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:01 pm

Torben wrote:Sir Steve
The forum is slow at the moment.
Do something!

You can attribute much of this to elvisgirl/Poul/BornInTrouble and her neverending supply of Wacko Jacko pics.

Tom

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:14 pm

Steve -

Congrats !

Now you are part of the 'establishment' perhaps you can answer my question from the other day:

Just on a technical note..................

Too many pics will:

1] Slow down the opening of that post.

2] That thread.

3] That section.

4] The MB.

5] The internet

6] The world

7] The universe

Which is it ?

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:36 pm

Congrats Steve ..just noticed it...now what exactly is it that you do ? :D

Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:44 pm

E equals MC squared.

So it depends on where you are in the universe relative to what you see.

Speed is dictated in part by time, so that's too complex for me to answer.

Okay, I'll have a go (didn't see you ask this the other day ????)

Pictures will not slow up the speed of the FECC site - unless the pictures are hosted on the FECC site.

Pictures can slow up how quickly your browser window loads on your PC depending on how big the file(s) are in data size.

Text can also do the same thing, but a small picture can be the same as 3 pages of text.

When you open a thread or a forum, the only information that will need to be generated is the info for that section. If there are no pictures in that section then no amount of pictures on the site overall will have an effect when your browser displays just that section.

Pictures hostd elsewhere can slow your browser up but they don't affect the speed of the FECC server - just your PC for want of keeping it fairly simple.

Data transfer and bandwidth.

Think of the amount of data being sent to your PC as if it was water.

The amount of water you can get at any one time depends mostly on the size of the pipe it flows in.
Well the same for data being sent out from a server in that the bits and bobs that connect the server to other servers and those of your internet provider are a certain size and can handle more or less data in a second depending on how big the bits and bobs are.

The ability to send an amount of data at anyone time is called bandwidth, and is referred to in basic terms as low or high bandwidth.

Data transfer, using the same anaology, is the amount of water in total over a period of time.

So you can have high bandwith capability but with a low data transfer. You downloaded a file very quickly in one night and then nothing again until next month.

The ultimate is to have both, the ability to download quickly and lots and lots of it all the time.

There are other issues as well, especially with all message boards.

You have a program, a set of files that issue commands that produce data or an outcome, much like ordinary software on your PC.
Well the software that runs the message board sits as static files on the host server.
The content of those files doesn't change.

Running alongside those files seperately on the server is the database. This is what changes and gets updated everytime a new member joins, or a thread is created or replied in.

When you ask the server via your browser for a list of the posts in a thread by clicking on it the database recieves the static instruction from the files and searches for the relevant information to display.

The older the board gets the more info it has to search for in order to know when it finishes the search it has all the information it needs to fulfill your request.

This can cause the site to be slow. so pruning of old messages and threads on this site is not only being considered but also a small sample test was done last night - note the guideliens category disappeared ! :lol:

So if you want to save any info posted on here that's over six months old - go copy it soon or it will be gone. i am convinced that few look back over old threads and for those few that do the cost of a slow speed is too much.

I may not have answered all your questions Colin, but I hope in principal you can work any others out. By all means try me again on something but what little I know can virtually be found above.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:02 am

Steve_M wrote:So if you want to save any info posted on here that's over six months old - go copy it soon or it will be gone. i am convinced that few look back over old threads and for those few that do the cost of a slow speed is too much.

I look for old info on here probably twice per week. The FECC forum is IMO very valuable and to me it would be a big loss, and a mistake, to delete the old posts.

I hope other folks will chime in on this even if their opinion differs.

Would it be possible to move them to an archive-only forum (which might have to be at a different address, I understand)?

Eileen
Last edited by Eileen on Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:10 am

Eileen -

It does seem a pity to lose all those old posts.

Just look at the info contained in some of them from people like Mr Statistic [come to think of it, where's he got to lately?].

I've got an idea !

Why don't they just delete all posts from Sam & Colin B !

That should free up a few gigabytes !

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:42 am

Steve - errr I mean your Honor. Congratulations on your appointment to FECC hall monitor. Disregard all the previous brown-nosing suck-up posts on this thread.
Your most loyal, lowly, humble, unworthy, boot-licking, synchophantic, servant Pete.
P.S. If anyone shows even the slightest sign of disrespect to you I recommend you banish them to the island of misfit FECC board members. (Genesim's lonesome.)

Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:50 am

Congrats Steve!! Ditto everything Pete just said. He is your syncophant....I am his syncophant.I know he has no power, and most of his posts are unintelligible.....but you gotta start somewhere. :wink:

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:03 am

Thank you Colin.

I hope other folks will chime in on the issue.

Eileen

Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:55 am

Eileen

I agree.

There's so much invaluable information on this board.

I'd sure hate to lose all of that.

Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:02 pm

ColinB wrote: I've got an idea !

Why don't they just delete all posts from Sam & Colin B !

That should free up a few gigabytes !

Well Colin B you have a lot of worthy posts!!!

No loss if mine are deleted! :P

8)