All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

The E.P. Exress

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:27 am

xjrsport

I bought this Mercury -73690 single which was backed with Big Bad Blues in Nashville in the first week of July 1975.It was factory-fresh as it was pressed the previous week.The songs were recorded April 25 1975 in Nashville and Scotty Moore and D.J. Fontana with Bob Moore,Ray Edenton and Jerry Kennedy backed Carl.

The songs were put on a Bopcat lp in 1978 and on an extended cd version of this lp by Suede rec.co. in 1994.In 2000 Bear Family issued the songs on the 4-cd set Back On Top.Finally,The E.P. Express is said to be on a new cd released by Bear Family :Carl P. Rocks.Hopefully,they managed to find unissued songs too,because Scotty himself told me at his Belle Meade office that they recorded more songs on that day.

Regrettably,I never remembered to ask Carl about just that,because there was always so much going on in those days.

And by the way,when Jimmy Dean hosted Nashville's tribute show Nashville Rembers Elvis in 1978 Carl performed an outstanding version of The E.P. Express complete with a brass section.And Tanya Tucker delivered an incredible version of A Big Hunk O'Love.Somebody should absolutely release this show on dvd.I would,but my vhs master has degraded too much.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:41 am

bike

It's the "Who's Making Love?" Johnnie Taylor.

"Soul Heaven" is rather recent, recorded in 1999.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:40 am

KING OF ROCK AND ROLL , by Prefab Sprout

All my lazy teenage boasts are now high precision ghosts
And they're coming round the track to haunt me.
When she looks at me and laughs I remind her of the facts
I'm the king of rock'n roll completely
Up from suede shoes to my baby blues

Hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque

The dream helps you forget you ain't never danced a step
You were never fleet of foot, hippy.
All the pathos you can keep for the children in the street
For the vision I have had is sweeping
- New broom, this room, sweep it clean

High kickin' dandy, fine figure fine cut a fine figure fine oh yeah ;
Long legged candy, fine figure fine cut a fine figure fine oh yeah ;

Now my rhythm ain't so hot, but it's the only friend I've got
All the pretty birds have flown now I'm dancing on my own
- Up from, suede shoes to my baby blues

High kickin' dandy, fine figure fine cut a fine figure fine oh yeah ;
Long legged candy, fine figure fine cut a fine figure fine oh yeah ;

Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:17 am

"The World Keeps Loving Elvis" Uncle Donny Richmond w/"special guests"

"My Dog Thinks I'm Elvis" Ray Herndon

Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:24 pm

The lines from LRB's `Home on Monday' are something like this:

I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the man from Memphis,
They told me that he had gone, never leaving a trace'.

It is about a phone call from the Las Vegas Hilton.

Speaking of Australians, has anyone mentioned `Here's to the King' by Josh Morgan that came out as a tribute in 1977.
rick

Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:23 pm

"Blow at High Dough" - The Tragically Hip -"...out at the speedway, some kind of Elvis thing"

Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:57 pm

Here is one title I came across :

Gillian Welch - "Elvis Presley Blues"

from the Album TIME(The Revelator)- (recorded at RCA Studio B Nashville)
Hank Williams jnr - " If the south would have won" ( Elvis is mentioned)

Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:52 am

Faith Hill; You're Bringing out the Elvis in Me

Don Henley; "...It was Jesus, or maybe it was Elvis, you know, they both look the same..." from If Dirt Were Dollars

Hank Williams Jr; Born to Boogie, ..." I met Elvis and Marilyn..."

The best ever, in my humble opinion was Walking in Memphis.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:13 pm

xjrsport wrote:I remember buying a single release by Carl Perkins entitled the E.P Express not long after Elvis died in 77, the lyrics were made up from Elvis song titles.
Can't find the single now and haven't had much joy tracking it down on a Cd album release, any suggestions would be appreciated.

That is spooky. How long after 77 do you think that could have been ?

There is a song writer from the UK who made his name as a DJ on what was then the most listened to radio station within the UK - BBC Radio 1.

His name is Mike Read.

He wrote a song made up of Elvis' song titles and performed an accoustic recording of it on air. It was not something he released but it was used as part of a competiton and you had to write in how many songtitles were used in his song in order to win .....I can't remember.

Somewhere in my box of old audio tapes I have it but I don't know if they would even play now.

Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Slade "Far Far Away" - I was playing this today. Definitely an influence on the Oasis sound and here is the Elvis reference in the lyrics:

I've seen the morning in the mountains of Alaska
I've seen the sunset in the East and in the West
I've sang the glory that was Rome And passed the 'Hound Dog' singer's homeIt still seems for the best

And speaking of Oasis - "I Can See A Liar" name checks a classic Presley film:

"Baby the time is right to tell it all like it is
And now that I feel god like there's nothing that can't be kissed
The name of a lonely soul is scratched into my brain
He thought he was king creole
Until he found out, until he found out"

Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:14 am

109. "Three Young Rebs From Georgia" Bobby Day ("The Rockin' Robin" guy) "Well you ask 'em who invented rock and roll/they say Elvis Presley, bless my soul."

Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:55 pm

110. "Tossed Salads and Scrambled Eggs," performed by Kelsey Grammer on Music From the TV Series Frasier.

I know this one is perhaps stretching the premise a bit, but this song ends with the phrase, "Frasier has left the building!" A stripped down version of the song ended every episode of the TV show, and a more elaborate version can be found on the soundtrack album named above. As such, I suspect it's got quite a prominent place in popular culture and deserves a place on this list.

As a side note, upon reviewing this topic, I noticed that many of the earliest posts are missing from this topic. It starts at #66 now! Perhaps this can convince those who voted in the poll earlier (and more importanly, Jordan and Steve!) that the posts from the last few months really are important enough to save.

Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:07 pm

Deana Carter has a song out titled "One Day at a Time" which mentions Elvis, as well.

Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:24 am

Black velvet - Alana Myles
Big Train from Memphis - John Fogery

I belive both of the songs are relating to Elvis