Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:38 pm

To my mind One Night In Vegas is absolutely essential. In fact overall I rate it higher than even disc 2 of the That's The Way It Is boxed set. I have heard that a couple of 50s songs may have been edited out of the show for this release though. Anyone know for sure? If this is the case it's a great shame, because I think we'd all have preferred a complete show rather than space being made for yet more sub-par rehearsals.

But it's still first class - excellent version of I Just Can't Help Believin' which actually rivals the master version. Great Bridge Over Troubled Water too. Plus possibly the best ever Sweet Caroline.

At The International is also very good, just that the song selection for this show was quite uninspired - no one off surprises here. Overall I prefer the show from the Live In Las Vegas boxed set, and the most interesting document of the '69 season would still be disc 3 of Collectors Gold in my opinion.

Bur again it's a great disc and any fan of this period of Elvis's career is going to want to own it.

Jules

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:11 pm

familyjules wrote:To my mind One Night In Vegas is absolutely essential.
At The International is also very good, just that the song selection for this show was quite uninspired - no one off surprises here.

Jules -
Thanks for the information. You'll be happy to know that I bought them nearly a year ago.

Are you bored?

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:23 pm

Rob wrote: Thanks for the information. You'll be happy to know that I bought them nearly a year ago.

Are you bored?

Heh. No, I just joined. I did see that this was an old thread, but I haven't had the chance to write about my favourite Elvis CDs before. Indulge me a little, eh?

Jules

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:36 pm

familyjules wrote:
I have heard that a couple of 50s songs may have been edited out of the show for this release though. Anyone know for sure? If this is the case it's a great shame, because I think we'd all have preferred a complete show rather than space being made for yet more sub-par rehearsals.

Jules

As far as I recall, it's been concluded that only the band introductions (for some reason) were left out.

It's been speculated that a couple of songs were omitted as well (according to Tunzi's Session II (!) book Don't Be Cruel and 1 more song was omitted), but this has since been denied by Ernst (I think).

Can someone confirm this?

Br
Kristian

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:40 pm

Only the band intros were omitted.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:56 pm

Rob wrote:Only the band intros were omitted.

Did Ernst give a reason for ommitting them? It seems a pretty pointless omission!

Jules

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:04 pm

There was damage to the original tape at the point of the intros.

Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:12 pm

Rob wrote:There was damage to the original tape at the point of the intros.

Really? Thanks for the info. I guess if there had to be a tape fault somewhere then we're bloody lucky that it was during the intros and not during a song!

Jules

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:24 am

I find the Aug70 cds have a better mix and sound than any of the shows from 1969...how is that?,recorde in the same place etc etc,yet the Aug 70 shows have more back bone.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:53 pm

iamhekev wrote:I find the Aug70 cds have a better mix and sound than any of the shows from 1969...how is that?,recorde in the same place etc etc,yet the Aug 70 shows have more back bone.

I think the Aug 69 recordings were done on 8 track and the Aug 70 recordings were done on 16 track so I presume equipment upgrades = the better sound in 1970.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:52 pm

Ok...i thought the 1969 shows were also done on 16 track.

Thanks.