Topic author
frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Speedway (1968)

Post by frus75 »

Speedway (1968) LPM/LSP 3989

SIDE A

1. Speedway
2. There Ain't Nothing Like A Song (duet with Nancy Sinatra)
3. Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby
4. Who Are You (Who Am I)
5. He's Your Uncle, Not Your Dad
6. Let Yourself Go

SIDE B

1. Your Groovy Self (Nancy Sinatra solo recording)
2. Five Sleepy Heads
3. Western Union
4. Mine
5. Goin' Home
6. Suppose

This LP soundtrack was released on the final days of May, 1968 selling around 150.000 copies and charting 82 on the Billboard charts.

The initial pressing was the last album released simultaneously as LPM and LSP. The monaural copies have a high value on the vinyl market. The first pressing included a bonus picture of Elvis circa 1962.

The album was later re-released on 1971 (on orange label), 1976 (tan label), and 1977 (AFL1-3989)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by frus75 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
frus75

Re: Speedway (1968)

Post by frus75 »

SESSIONS FOR SPEEDWAY. MGM Sound Stage, Hollywood

June 20, 1967

WPA1-1022-06 - There Ain't Nothing Like a Song
WPA5-2555-01 - Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby (movie version)
WPA1-1023-06 - Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby (record version)
WPA1-1024-03 - Five Sleepy Heads
WPA1-1025-06 - Who Are You?
WPA1-1026-04 - Speedway
WPA1-1027-01 - Suppose (long version)
WPA1-1028-07 - Suppose (short version)

JUNE 21, 1967

WPA1-1029-SP - Let Yourself Go
WPA1-1030-07 - He's Your Uncle, Not Your Dad

Musicians:

Guitar: Chip Young
Guitar: Hilmer J. "Tiny" Timbrell (June 20)
Guitar: Tommy Tedesco (June 21)
Bass: Bob Moore
Drums: Murrey "Buddy" Harman and D.J. Fontana
Piano: Larry Muhoberac and Charlie Hodge (on Suppose)
Steel Guitar: Pete Drake
Saxophone: Homer "Boots" Randolph
Trumpet: Charlie McCoy
Backup Vocals: The Jordanaires: Gordon Stoker, Hoyt Hawkins, Neal Matthews and Ray Walker

Your Groovy Self by Nancy Sinatra and her vocal overdub on There Ain't Nothing Like A Song were recorded on United Recorders, Hollywood, on June 26th 1967.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

Speedway marks the last time on Elvis's career when a soundtrack LP was released. His last films didn't produced enough material for a full album.

Speedway was a movie starring Elvis and Nancy Sinatra (then in "vogue"). Hence the movie scored high ratings (for an elvis movie) returning to the $3 million dollar mark on the box office for the first time since Tickle Me.

The movie soundtrack was produced with the songs recorded for the movie, including two (Suppose and Five Sleepy Heads) that weren't featured in the final cut. Side B opened with a solo recording by Nancy Sinatra, making it the only Elvis album released during his lifetime to feature a solo recording by another artist.

The 9 songs recorded weren't enough to fill an album, so RCA went back to their vaults in search for unreleased material. They found Western Union, recorded on May 27th 1963 in Nashville, TN. In September '67, the famous Guitar Man sessions produced Mine, recorded on September 10th, 1967. Finally, Going Home, a reject of the "Stay Away Joe" soundtrack (recorded in Nashville, January 15th, 1968) was also added.

The 12 song final product reached the streets on the last days of May 1968. The initial poor chart placing and sales certified the death of the soundtrack LP. The material wasn't specially bad. I mean, it was movie junk, but Elvis sang great, he had regained confidence, stamina and lost some weight in the process when compared to the last six or seven movies. He no longer appeared overweight and seemed a little less bored.

The songs where passable, though many fans still like Let Yourself Go (me too, of only for the drumers duet). Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby was charming and Who Are You is Ok. He's Your Uncle is pure Hollywood with almost no sense outside the movie.

Overall, I find this soundtrack to be nearer the early 60's ones (1960-1964) in the sense that at least Elvis is as focused as he can be expected to be. And so is better that the Double Trouble, Easy Come Easy Go, Clambake and other from the 1965-1967 period.

So the elvis soundtrack was dead, but Elvis was already resurrecting.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

On May 21st, 1968, a single featuring Your Time Hasn't Come Yet Baby, backed with Let Yourself Go was released.

The single sold 350,000 copies and charted just 71 on the Hot 100, due too poor airplay. It's important to remind that the single sold more than Guitar Man (300000), the same that Big Boss Man and much more than Long Legged Girl (200000). So it proves that Elvis selling lows were only lows by his standards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Ben

Post by Ben »

Great post and review again Iván. I hope you and Colin do many more of these.

This is the only soundtrack album that my Granddad didn't get for some reason.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

great post ,Frus75,good movie too

-instagram kenh1964

ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

Good work, frus75 !

The only Elvis album where the front of the sleeve looked like it should be the back !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Rocker
Registered for: 16 years

Post by Rocker »

ColinB wrote: The only Elvis album where the front of the sleeve looked like it should be the back !

Yes, good work !

Funny, I like the front quite much.... :)
I once read that Elvis played guitar on "Your time..." and "Five sleepy heads". Is that true? How differ the movie and single version of "Your time..."? Just differences in the mix?
And why was Scotty not on the soundtrack while DJ was?

Well, hello there....

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

Rocker wrote:
ColinB wrote: The only Elvis album where the front of the sleeve looked like it should be the back !

Yes, good work !

Funny, I like the front quite much.... :)
I once read that Elvis played guitar on "Your time..." and "Five sleepy heads". Is that true? How differ the movie and single version of "Your time..."? Just differences in the mix?
And why was Scotty not on the soundtrack while DJ was?
the last number on the matrix may indicate that Your Time movie version was take 1 of the song while the album master was take 6.

BTW, I just edited the first message to feature the artwork of the monaural rare version

Iván

La voz del Rey

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

a movie promo

Iván

La voz del Rey

LonnieBeale

Post by LonnieBeale »

I think Elvis might have played Guitar on YOUR TIME, it is in E and his style. It also sounds like he is banging the back like he did on some of his earlier records.

At least I know horses, and the ones with long ears are usually jackasses.

Shawn1968
Registered for: 16 years 6 months

Post by Shawn1968 »

Does anyone know if the mono LP is a dedicated mono mix (as opposed to a fold-down of the stereo mix)?

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

Shawn1968 wrote:Does anyone know if the mono LP is a dedicated mono mix (as opposed to a fold-down of the stereo mix)?
is that easy to spot? I don't know anybody who owns a monaural copy.

Iván

La voz del Rey

Shawn1968

Post by Shawn1968 »

frus75 wrote:
Shawn1968 wrote:Does anyone know if the mono LP is a dedicated mono mix (as opposed to a fold-down of the stereo mix)?
Well, if it is a unique mono mix there can be any number of ways to spot it ranging from extremely subtle (minor EQ changes) to something more drastic (alternate vocals, additional intruments, alternate guitar solos, etc. for example). If SPEEDWAY is a dedicated mono mix, I would doubt it's anything drastic but it sure would be nice to know one way or the other.

I tend to see UK mono SPEEDWAY LPs somewhat regularly alhthough I've never once seen a USA mono copy.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Shawn1968 wrote:I tend to see UK mono SPEEDWAY LPs somewhat regularly alhthough I've never once seen a USA mono copy.
If you hail from the UK, that could be the reason.........................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Topic author
frus75

Post by frus75 »

Shawn1968 wrote:
frus75 wrote:
Well, if it is a unique mono mix there can be any number of ways to spot it ranging from extremely subtle (minor EQ changes) to something more drastic (alternate vocals, additional intruments, alternate guitar solos, etc. for example). If SPEEDWAY is a dedicated mono mix, I would doubt it's anything drastic but it sure would be nice to know one way or the other.

I tend to see UK mono SPEEDWAY LPs somewhat regularly alhthough I've never once seen a USA mono copy.
there are so very few copies of the LPM USA version. I believe it costs around $1000 minimum to get one copy or was it $3000?

Iván

La voz del Rey

Shawn1968

Post by Shawn1968 »

ColinB wrote:
Shawn1968 wrote:I tend to see UK mono SPEEDWAY LPs somewhat regularly alhthough I've never once seen a USA mono copy.
If you hail from the UK, that could be the reason.........................
Nope, I'm in the USA.

And who knows, the UK mono might have a different mono mix than the USA mono... or they might be the same. Too bad we don't have something like all the Beatles books that document the differences in released recordings (including differences between mono/stereo mixes, single mixes, promo mixes/edits, etc.).