Re: Elvis Country - 1971 & 2008

Post by keninlincs »

excellent review Colin

-instagram kenh1964

Rocker
Registered for: 16 years

Post by Rocker »

Carl Smith recorded "I really don't wano to know" and the booklet of my CD says it was from '53 (!) I don't know how true it is, but it certainly sounds like it's from around that era.

I have some original reviews from musicpapers about "Elvis country". Shall I post 'em here or is this only for self-written articles?

Well, hello there....

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years

Post by colonel snow »

Rocker wrote:Carl Smith recorded "I really don't wano to know" and the booklet of my CD says it was from '53 (!) I don't know how true it is, but it certainly sounds like it's from around that era.

I have some original reviews from musicpapers about "Elvis country". Shall I post 'em here or is this only for self-written articles?
As far as I know it was never released as single in the 50's & 60's by Carl Smith; it was released in 1968 on LP Deep water (Columbia CS 9622) for the first time.

colonel snow

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

colonel snow wrote:
Rocker wrote:Carl Smith recorded "I really don't wano to know" and the booklet of my CD says it was from '53 (!) I don't know how true it is, but it certainly sounds like it's from around that era.

As far as I know it was never released as single in the 50's & 60's by Carl Smith; it was released in 1968 on LP Deep water (Columbia CS 9622) for the first time.

colonel snow

Ok, maybe they misprinted it. Haven't listen to the recording in a while. But still it was recorded before Elvis' version, so maybe it is interesting for some people. Thanks for the correction

Well, hello there....

Topic author
ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ColinB »

Rocker wrote:
colonel snow wrote:As far as I know it was never released as single in the 50's & 60's by Carl Smith; it was released in 1968 on LP Deep water (Columbia CS 9622) for the first time.
Ok, maybe they misprinted it.
Haven't listen to the recording in a while.
But still it was recorded before Elvis' version, so maybe it is interesting for some people.
Thanks for the correction
I've added a mention of Carl's version.........

This site doesn't, though:
I Really Don't Want To Know.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

colonel snow
Registered for: 17 years

Post by colonel snow »

hello collin

after your correction there is an error for There goes my everything:>> not recorded by Eddy Arnold in 1953.

colonel snow

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

ColinB wrote:I've added a mention of Carl's version.........

This site doesn't, though:
I Really Don't Want To Know.JPG

I have it on a CD, so it exists, trust me :wink:

Well, hello there....

epf

Post by epf »

Thanks ColinB and contributors, indeed a labor of love.

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

epf wrote:Thanks ColinB and contributors, indeed a labor of love.
You're welcome, epf !

Yes, lots of members have chipped in with further info, mostly about cover versions, and after umpteen edits, it's been knocked into some sort of final shape.

I'm surprised that nobody has any corrections with regards to the 'previously released on xxxxxxx' and 'released for first time here' notes !

Surely they aren't all accurate !

Colin B

frus75
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Post by frus75 »

Here you have the Spanish artwork. You can spot with real care that under "I'm 10000 years old" on white mini letters it reads (TENGO DIEZ MIL AÑOS) that means exactly I'm 10000 yars old.

Also the "new country sound" logo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Iván

La voz del Rey

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Re: I'm 10,000 Years Old - Elvis Country - 1971 & 2008

Post by George Smith »

ColinB, this is a wonderful thread: thank you for starting such a splendid "communal" review.

I find the whole "where did Elvis take his inspiration from" idea quite fascinating and I'd like to contribute a few thoughts and theories regarding this fine, fine album:

Snowbird: I’m pretty sure that Anne Murray’s version was recorded and released in 1969 on her second album, “This Way Is My Way”. It was issued as a single in the summer of 1970 and was probably just slipping out of the charts when Elvis recorded his almost identical version.

Tomorrow Never Comes: Recorded by dozens of artists, but the bolero version that Elvis had in his head was undoubtedly the Glen Campbell take from his second album, “Too Late to Worry, Too Blue to Cry” from 1963: the phrasing is uncannily similar but Elvis throws in a few extra choruses. Worth checking out too, is the Slim Whitman version released in March 1970. Also done as a bolero, it’s really quite stunning. Maybe Elvis heard this and was reminded of Glen’s LP when he went into the Nashville studio

Little Cabin On The Hill: The original is generally known as “Little Cabin Home On The Hill”, and though credited to Monroe and Flatt, Monroe has confirmed that Flatt was the actual composer. Lester Flatt released his own version of the song on the LP “Flatt On Victor” in 1971.

Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On: Big Maybelle or Roy Hall had the first recording of this but I can’t imagine Elvis pacing himself against anyone but Jerry Lee.

Funny How Time Slips Away: I’m sure Elvis knew most of the different versions issued throughout the 60s but the Jimmy Elledge take from 1961 definitely was the one that stayed in his mind: you can hear it without question on the live takes from the 70s (those high notes on “But I remember what I told yoooooou”, for example).

I Really Don’t Want To Know: Elvis may have known the Solomon Burke take but the Les Paul & Mary Ford single (1954) captures the same languid feel that Elvis achieved and gave James Burton something to compete with. This was also recorded by The Flamingoes and Billy Ward & The Dominoes (both 1954). None of the versions that I’ve heard really compare with Elvis’ soulful delivery.

There Goes My Everything: This may have been first recorded by Ferlin Husky for his 1966 LP “I Could Sing All Night” but it’s Greene’s take that Elvis follows. Interesting to hear Elvis’ direction in the studio that he wanted the voices overdubbed at the beginning.

It’s Your Baby: Shirl Milette’s finest moment in Elvis’ catalogue! It’s a shame there wasn’t an opportunity to include Elvis’ next line after the fade out on the master.

The Fool: Clark’s original is more rockabilly than country but Elvis’ take wipes the floor with it either way. Although he’d known the song for years, Elvis may have been reminded of the song by Clark’s 1969 release “The Return Of The Fool”. Credited to Naomi Ford, the song was possibly written by Lee Hazelwood.

Faded Love: I've searched and I've searched ... but I still haven’t managed to find a version even vaguely similar to Elvis’ take.

I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water: The Charlie Rich take almost sounds like “Needle In A Haystack” but It is possible to hear the influence in Elvis’ version. I also have a cracking performance by a Canadian rocker called Ted Daigle which certainly has the same powerhouse feel that Elvis obtained: I can’t find a date on this but it would be fascinating to know if Elvis was familiar with this version.

Make The World Go Away: No doubt here that Elvis was using Eddy Arnold’s template, with maybe a nod in Timi Yuro’s direction.

Thanks again, ColinB: an excellent post and review.

More please!

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Well, thanks, George, and it's interesting to read your thoughts on the origin of the songs.

I reckon Elvis absorbed a little of every performance of a song that he heard !

Colin B

bethann
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by bethann »

George Smith wrote: It’s Your Baby: Shirl Milette’s finest moment in Elvis’ catalogue! It’s a shame there wasn’t an opportunity to include Elvis’ next line after the fade out on the master......
What was the next line?>

"More people today should see him not simply as a performer, but as an artist with a great soul."

John Bakke, professor emeritus
University of Memphis

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

"It's your baby, you rock it: you don't like it, you shove it ..."

WALK A LONELY STREET

RonBaker2003
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by RonBaker2003 »

My favorite version of "The Fool" was on Jamie Coe's single.

Rocker

Post by Rocker »

George Smith wrote: Funny How Time Slips Away: I’m sure Elvis knew most of the different versions issued throughout the 60s but the Jimmy Elledge take from 1961 definitely was the one that stayed in his mind: you can hear it without question on the live takes from the 70s (those high notes on “But I remember what I told yoooooou”, for example).

Well, hello there....

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Rocker wrote:
George Smith wrote: Funny How Time Slips Away: I’m sure Elvis knew most of the different versions issued throughout the 60s but the Jimmy Elledge take from 1961 definitely was the one that stayed in his mind: you can hear it without question on the live takes from the 70s (those high notes on “But I remember what I told yoooooou”, for example).
Err........................ Jimmy Elledge is a guy is he ?

Colin B

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Yup, physically but not vocally.

WALK A LONELY STREET

Ben

Post by Ben »

George Smith wrote:Yup, physically but not vocally.
Give him long hair and it wouldn't be physically either.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ColinB wrote:18] Little Cabin Home On The Hill Take 1 - 2:04 - 4th June - Slightly longer than the master take, we first got this on Essential IV - A Hundred Years From Now in 1996.
Mmm, and in superior form. I sure would love to know who the mystery mixing engineer is behind the three Nashville '70 FTD Classic Albums because there are some really questionable things going on. Here we find the harmonica completely mixed out of the sound field - you can sort of hear it in the background as it bleeds through other mics. On Essential IV it is right up there in the mix - as it should be. Oddly the master take as featured on the 70s Box mixed out James Burtons' lead guitar entirely. The big WHY for these is anyone’s guess. Same for Patch It Up on the TTWII FTD. Studio outtakes - James’ guitar is right up there. Studio master - it is (ridiculously) buried.

Beggar’s belief - it really does.

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

George Smith wrote:ColinB, this is a wonderful thread: thank you for starting such a splendid "communal" review.
I find the whole "where did Elvis take his inspiration from" idea quite fascinating and I'd like to contribute a few thoughts and theories regarding this fine, fine album:
I have finally gotten round to incorporating your extra info into the review !

Thanks again, George !

Colin B

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Matthew wrote:
ColinB wrote:18] Little Cabin Home On The Hill Take 1 - 2:04 - 4th June - Slightly longer than the master take, we first got this on Essential IV - A Hundred Years From Now in 1996.
Mmm, and in superior form. I sure would love to know who the mystery mixing engineer is behind the three Nashville '70 FTD Classic Albums because there are some really questionable things going on....
Beggar’s belief - it really does.
I guess we will always be at the mercy of the personal preferences of the guy doing the mixing at the time !

If he doesn't care for the harmonica [or whatever] or if he feels it doesn't add much to the track - out it goes !

Colin B

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

ColinB wrote:If he doesn't care for the harmonica [or whatever] or if he feels it doesn't add much to the track - out it goes !
That really isn't "his" decision to make.

Topic author
ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Matthew wrote:
ColinB wrote:If he doesn't care for the harmonica [or whatever] or if he feels it doesn't add much to the track - out it goes !
That really isn't "his" decision to make.
Well, no, but it seems to happen that way at times !

Colin B

GospelBlues
Banned - Multiple User Names
Banned - Multiple User Names
Registered for: 13 years

Post by GospelBlues »

This is a great album,Elvis is in top form on this one for sure,one of my faves :D