I Was The One - revisited...

Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Peter66
Registered for: 21 years

Re: I Was The One - revisited...

Post by Peter66 »

ColinB wrote: Well, the selling point was that Elvis' original sidemen re-recorded their parts !
Well, your theory makes sense to me, Colin. When this album came out, I didn't see any point of giving away my small pocket money for this release, as there was (nearly) no hint of any re-recording by his original band on the album. I would have bought it, had there been a clear hint. So where is the selling point of a re-recording by the original sidemen, if it isn't marketed as such?

I always wondered....

Now, your explanation, strange as it is, adds some sense.

After all, if there had been new re-recordings, that had not been used (perhaps out of technical problems as suggested), wouln't it be nice to finish this release today properly? Should be no problem with proper software to sync the overdubbs. IMO the idea itself is not bad at all (a similar thing has been done for an Austrian pop-hero, Falco; his band plus the full orchestra from a concert in '94 re-recorded all songs of that concert and the result is breathtaking).

The outcame of I Was The One was not convincing, as the LP (I got it decades later) didn't sound very different.

But I got the new import CD version, and the sound is very good. It can't stand the sound of E1 and other releases of that kind, but had it sounded like that back in '83, it would have been a winner (with proper marketing).

Just some thoughts.

Maybe we will see an FTD-project some day. Would like that.

Peter

Topic author
ColinB
Registered for: 21 years

Re: I Was The One - revisited...

Post by ColinB »

Peter66 wrote:
ColinB wrote: Well, the selling point was that Elvis' original sidemen re-recorded their parts !
Well, your theory makes sense to me, Colin. When this album came out, I didn't see any point of giving away my small pocket money for this release, as there was (nearly) no hint of any re-recording by his original band on the album. I would have bought it, had there been a clear hint. So where is the selling point of a re-recording by the original sidemen, if it isn't marketed as such?

I always wondered....

Now, your explanation, strange as it is, adds some sense.

After all, if there had been new re-recordings, that had not been used (perhaps out of technical problems as suggested), wouln't it be nice to finish this release today properly? Should be no problem with proper software to sync the overdubbs. IMO the idea itself is not bad at all (a similar thing has been done for an Austrian pop-hero, Falco; his band plus the full orchestra from a concert in '94 re-recorded all songs of that concert and the result is breathtaking).

The outcame of I Was The One was not convincing, as the LP (I got it decades later) didn't sound very different.

But I got the new import CD version, and the sound is very good. It can't stand the sound of E1 and other releases of that kind, but had it sounded like that back in '83, it would have been a winner (with proper marketing).

Just some thoughts.

Maybe we will see an FTD-project some day. Would like that.

Peter
Thanks for your support, Peter !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire