Almost In Love - Revisited

Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

Post by karlos »

good review shane brown .

i have both versions of Lp in my collection - one had a pic of Elvis wearing blue aqua suit from Vegas on cover and the other version had Elvis wearing the red waist coat from 68 on cover .

good songs on these 2 different version of same Lp title i have .-

dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dreambear »

I also have both versions. The english version on cassette...if anybody reminds that format :oops:

Good review!

//Björn

Post by Guest »

UK cover
Image Image
Last edited by Guest on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Pete Dube »

Nice review Shane. I too think High Heel Sneakers should've been on the lp instead of Long Legged Girl.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 21 years

Post by DarrylMac »

I always liked this, and some of the other camden / pickick albums, as they gave me a cheap price to start my collection. I had one called Return To Sender, from what I remember, that included Whole Lotta Shakin Going On - still one of my favourite 70's rockers!

For what it's worth, Elvis is standing in front of the bordello set from the 68 special, and the pic was one of the publicity shots for the special.

dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dreambear »

DarrylMac wrote:I always liked this, and some of the other camden / pickick albums, as they gave me a cheap price to start my collection. I had one called Return To Sender, from what I remember, that included Whole Lotta Shakin Going On - still one of my favourite 70's rockers!

For what it's worth, Elvis is standing in front of the bordello set from the 68 special, and the pic was one of the publicity shots for the special.
I have "Return to sender" too, with a shot of Elvis from "Flaming star" on the cover. A poster was included.

//Björn

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

That's an enjoyable review, Shane, and it's close to what I would have written. It's one of my favorites, I'm not ashamed to say.

I grew up with the "Stay Away" version at the end, and do prefer it to the hoe-down that is "Stay Away, Joe," however.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Post by Guest »

Stay Away Joe was the last track on Almost In Love album first release. Stay Away is last on the remastered version. Somebody made a mistake about those tracks.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Shane: Great review. Always enjoyed this album. Bought all the Camden/Pickwick albums released back in the day except the Frankie & Johnny release.

Bought all 4 of the CD release/re-releases so far. Will buy others if they release more. Guess they won't release any this year according to what I read somewhere.

These Camden/Pickwicl albums hold a lot of great memories for me.

Keep those great reviews coming.

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

For anybody that bought the new "Elvis at the movies" set am I correct in assuming that the last five tracks on the second disc of this set are the Camden "Almost in love" album mixes? They sure sound like them...

16. Stay Away
17. A Little Less Conversation
18. Charro!
19. Clean Up Your Backyard
20. Rubberneckin'

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

From EIN review . . .

"The 'Almost In Love' CD has been mastered from the original Camden LP Master tape and so it does feature the original mixes but at the same time has that rather flat-ish sound of the old Camden LPs. Knowing what great sound we can now get from Elvis' original Masters I do find some of the tracks a little disappointing but let's face it, The Colonel was never going to put quality money behind these budget albums! 'Almost In Love' immediately doesn't have the sparkle of the Double Features version and 'Edge Of Reality' is a muffled mono-ish mix. However to be honest some tracks like 'Long Legged Girl' sound fine, (I guess because it was rough to start with!)"

So I sure hope the 'At the Movies' are not these audio versions!

Full EIN review here>
http://www.elvisinfonet.com/cdreview_almostinlove.html

and if you hadn't noticed ..
"There a few anomalies with 'Almost In Love' having the guitar intro edited down by 4 bars. (The Master runs 3.02 which this "Camden" sleeve indicates, although the track only runs 2.52! ) Similarly 'Edge Of Reality' is shamefully faded out @ 3.13, so it misses that great "Hah!" that Elvis gives towards the end of the full-length Master. The sleeve again incorrectly says 3.27. But what am I doing here? - Picking errors on a Camden LP! The Colonel must be laughing all the way to the bank! "

I still think it is a real fun listen.
Would would expect two 'new millenium' chart hits on such a budget package!

Cheers
Piers

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Shane, excellent review!

Manhattoe
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Manhattoe »

I agree with any remark you made, Shane.

The material holds together well with the one exception you singled out.
Long legged girl, however, is fun to listen with that wild scratchy guitar intro, and if you don't like it, it's over before you start get annoyed by it.

I liked the title song from the beginning (and it is still one of my movie favorites today). Almost in love is lounge pure.

DUM-DEE-DUM-DEE-DUM YEAH-YEAH-YEAH!
WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM?

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

I've even picked up spare copies of the new budget eissue of "Almost in Love" to give away to some nominal fans who I know appreciate Elvis' "out there" '60s output. This is one near-classic package that captures, as they might have said back then, "the many moods" of Elvis Presley.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by minkahed »

I just went to Walgreens drugstore tonite and saw all the Elvis Camden budget cd's selling for $5 apiece !!!

I picked up Separate Ways and Burning Love And Hits From His Movies and a few extra copies of the others ...

The sound quality, IMHO, sounds real good on these discs.

Great bargain.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

You bought Burning Love and Hits From His Movies? For shame!! Don't you know that's the prime offender. The worst of the Camden lot according to many fan(atics)? That's okay. I bought one too. Sure was great to hear Burning Love; Tender Feeling; Am I Ready; etc. in their "proper" running order once again.

bajo

Post by bajo »

I haven't picked up Burning Love and Separate Ways yet, but I will!
But, then that's as far as I will go regarding the Camden LP's.
At the time they really made sense, even including C'mon Everybody and I Got Lucky. Because they contained tracks hard to find or never released on album before, back then!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

poormadpeter

Re:

Post by poormadpeter »

karlos wrote:good review shane brown .

i have both versions of Lp in my collection - one had a pic of Elvis wearing blue aqua suit from Vegas on cover and the other version had Elvis wearing the red waist coat from 68 on cover .

good songs on these 2 different version of same Lp title i have .-
Have been looking through the board at old threads as I only joined last week. But I'm lost. What review are you talking about on this thread??

Mike S
Registered for: 17 years

Post by Mike S »

Last edited by Mike S on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poormadpeter

Re: Almost In Love - Revisited

Post by poormadpeter »

Now, I may be mad but I ain't completely nuts! ;)