Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Elvis Today-FTD

Tue May 16, 2006 6:25 am

Can anyone who's heard this ftd please give me some of their comments about what they liked about this cd or a small review? I just ordered it yesterday and am looking forward to hearing it, especially the alternate takes of Susan when She Tried and Fairytale. Thank You. :lol:

Tue May 16, 2006 6:32 am

I could tell you all about it, but what fun would that be when you finally hear it?

Oh all right, just a couple of things. And I Love You So is great to hear as he sings the song to Sheila Ryan. Glen D. makes a mistake during a song and Elvis calls out, "next piano player!"

It's great to hear the making of one of Elvis' best 1970's albums.

Tue May 16, 2006 4:16 pm

Hey Rockerman,
All you need to know about FTD releases, in the minutest detail, is at the Elvis Information Network.

Go here for 2,500 word review on this TODAY release including...

‘Susan When She Tried’ – The Rough-Mix is again delightfully different to the final release. At 2.16 Elvis laughs at his own vocal fluff but then keeps on going, to the fade out 30 seconds later. Listening to the track it is a real surprise that they didn’t go for another take. On the Master release the bass vocal-line was also mixed down, along with an early fade-out to cover the vocal mistake. Takes 1 & 2 that were on ‘6363’ show Elvis in a fabulous mood. The ‘new’ Take 3 features the great comment from Elvis at the start, “You don’t believe that sh*t do you, really?!”. It is also at a faster tempo and has Elvis’ vocal sounding more enthusiastic than the earlier takes with him adding a nice falsetto at the end. As Felton notes at the end as he pushes towards the Master, “Ok, let’s keep it going!” Another nice addition.

and

‘Fairytale’ – The Rough-Mix is great in sounding more like the Elvis’ “live on-stage” version and with a nice clean Elvis vocal. The overdubbed strings and steel guitar on the Master seemed to over-complicate & unnecissarily ‘country-fy’ the song. Take 2 has to be the favourite version as it captures a clarity & genuine studio ambience along with some delicious guitar work, (previously on ‘Great Country Songs’). The ‘new’ Take 1 delights with Elvis saying, “Good luck everybody” at the start and the tempo is slower with everyone sounding a little unsure, causing it to fall apart after 1 ½ minutes. The feel & unsureness of this studio try-out is another treat.

EIN also features a special 'Spotlight' on this TODAY session - go here.

so, where have you been?

Cheers
Piers

Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:21 am

Elvis Today did suprisingly well in Norway when it came out!
I have always loved that album, and I enjoy it even more now!
Piers' guidance always adds even more enjoyment when listening again and again!

ELVIS TODAY

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:16 pm

ONE OF THE VERY BEST CDS I HAVE LISTENED TO- ESPECAILLY GREEN GREEN GRASS OF HOME -AND OTHER ROUGH CUT REMIXES .
ONE OF MY FAVORITES

LONG LIVE HIS LEGACY 4 EVA.