Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:00 am

i was going to buy this album on LP last eyar on Holiday for $20, but when i took out the record in the sleeve, it was Elvis-On Stage! But i do have some songs off the album, and the songs i've heard are some of my faves including-yes-Girl Of Mine. You did a very good review Shane, i think this is the best over all view of the album, yet again i ahve not heard 4 of the other tracks, so i will go do that now. thanks for the review! 8)

Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:07 pm

Mhm, I would never say Elvis uses a Sinatra technique in singing For Ol' Times Sake. :P It's not reading the lyrics with Elvis, it's being the lyrics. Sinatra is really more a reader, at least, IMO.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:07 am

Good review Shane. I don't cut the slack you do for the uptempo numbers. They all sound listless to me. Elvis' voice sounds weak. On "Just a Little Bit" which is really the only better average composition among the uptempo numbers Elvis sounds too cranky and not at all sexy. The line Elvis tosses off of "Find Out What's Happening" in the December '73 sessions is better than anything that's on the master.

The blues alternate of "Are You Sincere" should have been the track but I like the number overall has an echo of "Are You Lonesome To-Night?". "I Miss You" is nice but too perfunctory. It's more like an exercise. I never felt Elvis was inside the song. "Sweet Angeline" is more personal and works a little better. I agree about the overstatement on the backing vocals.

I also agree in your assessment of "For Ol Times Sake". It's Elvis translating his personal pain into his artistry and in many ways with its technical deficiencies represents the quintessence of Elvis' aesthetic which stresses emotion over technical perfection.

That one shining moment aside though, this for me is Elvis' worst studio album (I.E. non soundtrack, non live album.) I say this mostly because his singing is just so bad throughout the album. Bad from a technical standpoint. Bad from an emotional standpoint. There is no sense of energy on any track. Save maybe "Sweet Angeline" and "Are You Sincere". (This helps "For Ol' Times Sake" though.) And the material is a little short as well. I don't understand the L&S choices. "Three Corn Patches" aside, "If You Don't Come Back" is a very pedestrian number. If you listen to the Drifters' original, L&S haul out all sorts of gimmicks in the production mostly because I think they knew it was a subpar tune.

I understand your point about the hodge podge's versus the album. But I feel "Elvis Now" and "Fool" have more moments than this, even though they don't have an identifiable character and features some weak performances. 1971's "Love Letters from Elvis" has poor material but Elvis generally sings the hell out of everything on it, which he does not do here.

Your point about leaving "I Got a Thing About You Baby" off is an interesting one as it was a truly inspired performance despite the circumstances. Still though I wonder if the label didn't do it a favor by letting it shine on its own as a single. It may have gotten lost on album like this one. And although pop DJ's didn't the song any favors, fans bought half a million copies and country DJs liked it enough to move it into the Top Ten.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:23 pm

I´ve always thought that instead of releasing the 10-tracks "Raised On Rock", RCA should have wait january 1974 to offer to the fans a true SOUL ALBUM with the best tracks from both july and december 1973 recordings from STAX studios. After the success of the "Aloha" album, I don´t understand what was the hurry to release "Elvis" (fool album) and "Raised". Just imagine: 9 monthes after the Aloha show, RCA introduces the single "My Boy / Sweet Angeline" and the brand new album "ELVIS AT STAX", a 14 tracks album that could have included :

side a
IF YOU DON´T COM BACK (longer fade out)
I GOT A FEELIN´ IN MY BOY
RAISED ON ROCK
ARE YOU SINCERE (alternate blues version)
I´VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY
FIND OUT WHAT´S HAPPNING
LOVIN´ ARMS

side b
JUST A LITTLE BIT
THREE CORN PATCHES
GOOD TIMES CHARLIE´S GOT THE BLUES
TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES
IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP
PROMISED LAND
bonus - live : STEAMROLLER BLUES

This focuses on mainly on SOUL and ROCK (which makes a coherent release) with touches of COUNTRY, POP and GOSPEL. Pure Elvis and a more than decent quality. If only, if only...
By the way, excellent review (shanebrown) and comments (likethebike).

Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:42 pm

jeanno wrote:side a
IF YOU DON´T COM BACK (longer fade out)
I GOT A FEELIN´ IN MY BOY
RAISED ON ROCK
ARE YOU SINCERE (alternate blues version)
I´VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY
FIND OUT WHAT´S HAPPNING
LOVIN´ ARMS

side b
JUST A LITTLE BIT
THREE CORN PATCHES
GOOD TIMES CHARLIE´S GOT THE BLUES
TALK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES
IF YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP
PROMISED LAND
bonus - live : STEAMROLLER BLUES

With a track like I GOT A FEELIN´ IN MY BOY it sure would have sold. :lol:

Nice review Shane.

Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:08 pm

With a track like I GOT A FEELIN´ IN MY BOY it sure would have sold. Laughing

:D :D :D

Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:28 am

jeanno wrote: Just imagine: 9 monthes after the Aloha show, RCA introduces the single "My Boy / Sweet Angeline" and the brand new album "ELVIS AT STAX", a 14 tracks album

It certainly would have been imaginary since 9 months after Aloha was October and the second stint at Stax didn't happen until December.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:55 am

Matthew
It certainly would have been imaginary since 9 months after Aloha was October and the second stint at Stax didn't happen until December.

I was talking about 9 monthes after the Aloha was on TV as it aired on April 1973 in the US. "ELVIS AT STAX" could have been out in january 1974. Sorry anyway as my sentence was not very clear... :oops:

Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:22 pm

jeanno wrote:Matthew

I was talking about 9 monthes after the Aloha was on TV as it aired on April 1973 in the US. "ELVIS AT STAX" could have been out in january 1974. Sorry anyway as my sentence was not very clear... :oops:

Ok, I get ya. When was the album released? After the show aired in the states?

Also, January 74 would have been pushing it as the recordings weren't overdubbed until early 74.

Elvis At Stax would have been a great release although I believe would have only come from the December sessions. Out of the 18 tracks recorded in Dec a single 12 track album would have been better than the two albums that resulted (with the added 2 unreleased tracks from the July sessions)

I think I've posted this before but it may have changed since! This is my album of choice:

Side A

1.Promised Land
2.There’s A Honky Tonk Angel
3.Help Me
4.My Boy
5.If You Talk In Your Sleep
6.Loving Arms

Side B

1.It’s Midnight
2.I Got A Feeling In My Body
3.If That Isn’t Love
4.Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues
5.You Asked Me To
6.Talk About The Good Times

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:54 pm

Matthew
I think the ALOHA album was released in february 1973 but i´m not sure of that. I have to check it out.

I said january 1974 because this was the release date of the I´VE GOT A THING ABOUT YOU BABY single although, thinking about it now, this is a july 1973 track, not a december one so for an album that would have included songs from both sessions, january would have been too soon. Maybe march or april...
Your tracklist is pretty interesting although it is not a soul album anymore. It is more focused on Country than mine; "RHYTHM & COUNTRY" is a title that would fit well with your project.

Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:36 pm

Nice review.

I like Girl Of Mine, mainly the version of the Rhthym & Country BMG release.

Sun May 14, 2006 10:10 pm

The Japanese version 20 bit is amazing! I just got it and did not expect so much improvement. I love Sweet Angeline, For Ole Times Sake .

Mon May 15, 2006 2:58 am

JLGB wrote:The Japanese version 20 bit is amazing! I just got it and did not expect so much improvement. I love Sweet Angeline, For Ole Times Sake .

JLGB, I been lookin' for a 20 bit version of this album for a few years, but just can't seem to get my hands on a copy.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you find your copy :?:

I always try ebay, but never have any such luck. :roll:

Thanks...

Mon May 15, 2006 3:21 am

Somebody posted this also but do not remember where. Anyway it is in CD Universe http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... 3932&BAB=E

Mon May 15, 2006 3:36 am

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.asp ... Remastered)&artist=Elvis+Presley

Fri May 19, 2006 8:29 am

Thanks for the link.

I just bought 3 cd's TODAY, From Elvis Presley Blvd and RAISED ON ROCK from both places and I really hope the remaster sounds as good as some of the other Japanese releases.

Sat May 20, 2006 6:37 am

minkahed wrote:I really hope
No hoping, just waiting! It is that good! When it comes to sound trust the :smt017 ........Jayel!!! :lol:

Sat May 20, 2006 7:09 am

Three corn patches is probably the worst song that I ever heard of elvis that he didn't have to record!(like movie songs)

Wed May 24, 2006 11:28 am

Three corn patches is probably the worst song that I ever heard of elvis that he didn't have to record!(like movie songs)

I think that Confidence or Old McDonald are far worse. I remember listenning to TCP when I was 12. Ididn´t speak/understand then english but I liked the R&B style. At the time, I was listening a lot to the BLUES BROTHERS and TCP sounded much like that.

Hey, here is my cover for a STAX album :

Thu May 25, 2006 7:26 pm

Irritating for some, but the Raised On Rock album has always been a favourite of mine!

Fri May 26, 2006 9:25 am

Matthew wrote:...This is my album of choice:

Side A

1.Promised Land
2.There’s A Honky Tonk Angel
3.Help Me
4.My Boy
5.If You Talk In Your Sleep
6.Loving Arms

Side B

1.It’s Midnight
2.I Got A Feeling In My Body
3.If That Isn’t Love
4.Good Time Charlie’s Got The Blues
5.You Asked Me To
6.Talk About The Good Times

It's the same selection I've posted few weeks ago in a spanish "forum" (such a coincidence!). Yours and mine differ only in the track list order. Here's mine:
Side A
1.- Promised land
2.- Loving arms
3.- I got a feelin' in my body
4.- If that isn't love
5.- Help me
6.- Talk about the good times
Side B
1.- It's midnight
2.- My boy
3.- There's a honky tonk angel
4.- Good time Charlie's got the blues