Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Good review Shane.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

bajo
Registered for: 21 years

Post by bajo »

Nicely put Shane!
One thing is the actual TV special, which have been held back for years!
Another is that if ever there was an album to be deleted from the catalog, it is this one.
I had a hard time listening to the double album at the time. Especially the last track, And I Love You So.
Anything would have been better than this release. A compilation of unreleased live performances from earlier 70's would have fared just as well at that time.
Listening to the Spring Tours FTD, one wonders if both the TV special and the double album was made to make Elvis look and sound the absolute worst?
Good point about Unchained Melody. I have always wondered why they left that one out?

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Scott Haigh 781990EP
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Scott Haigh 781990EP »

good review, but i ahve to disagree with you in some points

see see rider-yes i do notice the mike overload, and he sort of does make it a throw away at times, but his vocal is solid and strong, and a great opening number
i have to say also, i had no trouble with his opening dialogue after this song. though introducing 'thats all right mama' he is not too good, but really, i thought this was how Elvis spoke. he always seemed to stutter some times in his speech, to my ears, it sounds ok
thats allright mama is a solid track IMO. His voice is very strong, and it takes us back to 1954 all over again, but then we realise its the same guy, but sounds totally different. i think this is one of the best versions of Thats all right mama
Teddy bear/don't be cruel-ok so they had to ahve the fan favourites, but this performance?! no comment
you gave me a mountain-i can't say its better than the Aloha version, but the passion and strength in his voice is absolutely unmistakeable
jailhouse rock-throw away performance yes, i wish they had slowed down the tempo to the original version, then maybe we would have a better performance
How great thou art-As ill as Elvis is at this show, from the very first line, you notice the power in his voice, and the pacing is bad i know, but all is forgiven when Elvis yells out 'oh my gooooooooooooooooooooood!'. that sends chills up my spine
I really don't want to know-i agree with this one, a song Elvis was suited to. his voice absolutely shines
Hurt-a strong track, though not as good as the studio master, i can't call it a throwaway. those last notes, and all is forgiven for me
Hound dog- Elvis should've gone back to the 1972 bluesy versions if he was going to do this song at all, though it is fun to hear his growls
My way-not as good as Aloha, but its so close to Elvis's life story because 6 weeks later, he would be dead. the emotion and power again really draws your attention
Can't help falling in love- at the start Elvis sounds tired, but the end is strong, yet seems to be held back
I got a woman/amen-i think the additional 'well wells' were unneccessary, but i think Elvis puts in a fine rocking performance that makes nice listening. actually 'amen' has been edited, the 2nd J.D Sumner bass solo has been cut. though i think the original movements and fan shrieks should've been edited, but good for the fans imagination i guess, but Elvis seems to sound like he's really trying to turn the old magic on as he growls embarrasingly, it sounds like its forced, which is not good

and yes, i agree, Elvis starts to sound nervous and forcing a good performance when he welcomes the audience
i don't think 'love me' is a throwaway. i've definitely heard worse versions, i think its fairly good, Elvis can be heard reasonably clearly,a nd his voice is fairly strong, though weak and tired at times
If you love me- i personally think its a nice addition to the album, maybe cause i like the song, but i hate Sherril's voice on this. Elvis's voice sounds strong and relaxed
o sole mio/Now or never-i personally don't like Sherril's voice on this one, the only song i can hear by Sherril is 'softly as i leave you'. i don't really like this version of 'Now or never', towards the end it sounds like a throwaway
Trying to get to you-i love this version! i do like the Memphis 74 version, but Elvis's voice is so strong it soars and he really seems to be enjoying the song and putting a lot in to it. a highlight for me
Hawaiian wedding song-i don't really like the additional dialogue, but its a beautiful performance by Elvis

i will review the other songs later, i never really listen to that side of the record. thanks for the review Shane, it made me wanna flick out the album once again

I'm like a stranger, like a stranger in my own hometown
My so called friends stopped being friendly, oh but you can't keep a good man down

http://www.myspace.com/musicprisoner

Topic author
elvispresleyfan1935
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by elvispresleyfan1935 »

Good review also Scott.

Train I ride, sixteen coaches long

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

ELVIS IN CONCERT - REVISITED

Post by karlos »

a very good review Shane .-

keep up the good work mate . :wink:
i thoroughly enjoyed reading your review at a sad time in Elvis life . - :wink:

dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Post by dl »

Very good reviews!

Although the album "Elvis In Concert" contain some weak performances, there are still highlights to be found! Elvis' version of "I Really Don't Want To Know" sounds absolutely great, the same goes for "Trying To Get To You". Elvis is good on "Hurt" and "You Gave Me A Mountain" and even "It's Now Or Never" doesn't sound bad to me. I guess the rubbish like "Jailhouse Rock", "Teddy Bear", "Don't Be Cruel" and of cause "Hound Dog" ruin a lot. Elvis doesn't like these songs and he doesn't even try to hide that fact. If FTD would re-master the tracks "Elvis In Concert" would be not the worst LP of the king.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

The candor and clear thinking that exemplifies your review was unexpected. I agree with most all your observations, save "Jailhouse Rock" -- a complete embarrassment, a slap in the face of the memory of that powerful 1957 #1 -- and "My Way" -- of the 1977 versions, it's one of the best, and actually superior to the "Aloha" performance.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

shanebrown wrote:Thanks dr! I feel honoured ...
The pleasure is all mine. Good work.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

Excellent post shane brown! :lol:

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by jeanno »

Very interesting and thoughful review, shane.
Can´t wait to read your impressions about other "problematic" albums like HARUM SCARUM or RAISED ON ROCK maybe...

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Good review Shane! I'd like to offer some comments.

That's All Right - The problem is that Elvis sounds as if he's no longer comfortable singing this song in the key of A (the same key as the original) with his deeper, middle-aged voice. Still, one comes away from this with a sense that he was trying to give a good account of himself, and it's generally solid despite the key discomfort.

Are You Lonesome Tonight? - What gets lost in all the discussion over the flubbed spoken section is that Elvis' singing is quite stylish in that "heavier" manner that often marked his vocals in the last couple of years.

How Great Thou Art - The descending slide gets away from him momentarily, but other than that this is an impressive performance in a showy, over-the-top rendition taken right from the more exhibitionistic black gospel singing school.

Trying To Get To You - His phrasing on the lower passages isn't as good as the Memphis '74 version, but he does add some bluesy accents, and the belting parts are strong. He's trying here and delivers the goods.

Hawaiian Wedding Song - A more-than-respectable version for the period.

Little Sister; Fairytale; And I Love You So - It's a crying shame that these numbers are marred by the Omaha "sluggishness." Had Elvis performed these at the more alert Rapid City show then these tunes would've been welcome addtions to the lp.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Re: Elvis In Concert Revisited

Post by rlj4ep »

Great review Scott. While there are a few songs which are noteworthy, by and large it's tough for even me to listen to that album in one sitting. I am confused as to why Johnny B. Goode and What'd I Say were included. They are such great songs and he actually did masterful jobs with them. But the way they were treated in 76 and 77 is, IMHO, a bit unfortunate. I was amazed when I first learned that See See Rider (on the album) was actually a splice from the two concerts (19th & 21st). I agree with How Great Thou Art and Hurt being very memorable. On Are You Lonesome Tonight is Elvis just trying to be funny or did he actually forget the words?