Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Southern Nights FTD

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:46 pm

Elvis Southern Nights FTD CD review by Geoffrey Mc Donnell.

That’s all right starts this CD strongly from Atlanta’s 1st of 3 shows on 30th April 1975, however this is the 1st tour of 75’ soundboard mix and it’s mostly piano + voices-that being the case at least Elvis is CLEAR and up-front. Next from the same show is track #2 It’s Now Or Never-quite nicely sung and pleasant to hear. Next is an editing glitch of 1 second of let me be there (from same show) Then the 3rd track from this show is the Sherrill Neilson/Elvis duet on Help Me. A bit too much Sherrill for my liking but again that’s the result of a poor mix. Steamroller Blues from the 3rd show in Atlanta on 2nd May 75’ is a STRONG version thumping with Jerry Sheff’s Bass! It also (of course) has strong piano in the mix. The reason for this tracks given running time becomes clear when after 3 minutes it becomes an unlisted track #5 of The M.I.C.K.E.Y. M.O.U.S.E. March from this same show for the completion of track duration of 3.28’. Track #6 is from Huntsville, Alabama on 1st June 1975 Afternoon Show and straight away with Heartbreak Hotel a VASTLY superior sound mix becomes evident indeed for ALL of the June shows. Heartbreak Hotel is ok, then from the same show track #7 Release me seems much slower than Vegas August 73’ versions. Track #8 from the same days Evening show starts very embarrassingly as Elvis completely loses the words to Burning Love and despite 2 false starts gets out of this awkward situation by a mean version of Polk Salad Annie with Bass that will really please Jerry Scheff fans!
What Follows next is I’ll Remember You (with part of Alfie) and in great voice/falsetto. Finally from this Evening show is a superb Little Darlin’ a highlight followed by some nice Huntsville closing show Dialogue (track #13!) A great deep and rich full version of Bridge over Troubled Water from the Mobile 2.6.75 E/S follows and is great. Unexpected and unlisted next is a 1 liner of ‘The Eyes of Texas’ from Houston on 4.6.75 show followed by track # 16 Trying to Get To You and track #17 You Gave Me a Mountain BOTH OF WHICH ARE very GOOD VERSIONS. Track # 18 is from Jackson on 9th June and is a short/Terse but almost adequate version of ‘Help me Make it Through the Night’ from the closing tour in Memphis on 10th June comes Fairytale (with intro) and again it’s in great sound and a highlight. Jambalaya from a Lake Charles 4.5.75 E/S again shows the poor sound mix but at track #20 its rarity justifies its inclusion. (Especially if you take this as meaning there is NO Jackson 9.6.75 version! Track #21 comes from the first of 3 poorly mixed songs in Macon, Georgia on the 1st days of the spring tours on 24.4.75 Despite this Big Boss Man, It’s Midnight (strong Kathy’s Vocal) and Promised Land sound as good as ever (despite the mix) Certainly a worthwhile inclusion on this FTD. Track # 24 is a short version of Trouble (from King Creole) and although only a minute long its engaging. Also from Huntsville 31.5.75 A/S is T.R.O.U.B.L.E., which is ok, but he hasn’t learnt the words (and it shows) next are a nice version of The Hawaiian Wedding Song with pre-song dialogue-nice! Blue Suede Shoe is not a bad version before a tender and measured version of For The Good Times which is ‘rare’ for 1975.This 5th track concludes this A/S from Huntsville and next track #29 is a great version with guts of I Can’t Stop Loving You from the 31st May E/S. finally from the same show is a terrific version of I’m Leaving which is really ‘great!’ a good closing highlight. I’ve REALLY enjoyed the performances and the obvious energy of this release so it’s with some disappointment that after the final songs closing dialogue it doesn’t actually close with Can’t Help Falling in Love from the Huntsville 31.5.75 E/S. However only a missing version of How Great Thou Art from the Jackson 8.6.75 A/S show would have made this release complete and a real missed opportunity, especially as this CD only runs for 68 minutes. (If this were meant to compliment Dixieland Rocks FTD?) Overall the 3 pictures of Elvis in the Red Eagle suit from the 31.5.75 E/S compliment the package and despite varying sound Elvis’s voice are clear throughout. I found including the dialogue and 1 liners this really easily represents 30 tracks on CD With a couple of lost opportunities here I’d still rate it as 8/10 and very worthwhile getting.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Thanks for the review. :)

Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 pm

Great review! Thank you. The fine performances selected make it more exciting than I expected.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:39 pm

Thanks for the review. Correct me If I am wrong but I guess this version of I Can´t Stop Loving You is the last until June 26th, 1977 right???

Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:57 pm

Renan wrote:Thanks for the review. Correct me If I am wrong but I guess this version of I Can´t Stop Loving You is the last until June 26th, 1977 right???

Correct !!

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:05 am

:lol: I like this CD and enjoyed listening to it right through again today, however some of this must have been put together in a rush because no wonder i couldn't find ANY version of Steamroller Blues lasting 3:28.. when in fact it was (and should have been) labelled as 2 seperate tracks with Mickey Mouse as track#5.I Didn't like that 'sloppyness' and 'The Eyes of Texas' is CLEARLY listed in track credits, but once again NOT numbered! sloppy! despite my moans about it, ALL else is POSITIVE for example the sound on the 2 tracks from Houston 5.6.75 is best Iv'e heard! :roll:

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:56 pm

Good review. I'm very excited about this release.

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:04 pm

stefan kock wrote:
Renan wrote:Thanks for the review. Correct me If I am wrong but I guess this version of I Can´t Stop Loving You is the last until June 26th, 1977 right???

Correct !!

Thanks.

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:57 am

Just out of interest (for my own personal use) i made a cdr yesterday including 2001 (from Memphis) How Great Thou Art(from Houston4.6.75) inserted after track#13 on the FTD and finally after the last track Can't Help Falling In Love and closing cvamp from 4.6.75. I found this gave me the 10/10 rating i was after and as well it ran for 76 minutes easily firtting onto 1 disc. That's how i personally prefere this Disc and it's my home made compilation i enjoy playing now. :? 8)

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:52 am

YDKM wrote:Just out of interest (for my own personal use) i made a cdr yesterday including 2001 (from Memphis) How Great Thou Art(from Houston4.6.75) inserted after track#13 on the FTD and finally after the last track Can't Help Falling In Love and closing cvamp from 4.6.75. I found this gave me the 10/10 rating i was after and as well it ran for 76 minutes easily firtting onto 1 disc. That's how i personally prefere this Disc and it's my home made compilation i enjoy playing now. :? 8)

I will do that. More complete. You know......I have just listened to this CD and when he Elvis finishes I´m Leaving he says to people go home carefully and I was already waiting for CHFIL......

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:55 am

you so right Renan EXACTLY that why i made this cdr and now listening to it i'm 100% satisfied- lucky their were enough soundboards available to lift these extra tracks from! cannot quite understand why it should take me about 30 minutes to actually put this together(in THIS way) and FTD didn't.anyhow greatful for Southern Nights regardless. :roll: :lol:

Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:23 pm

:lol: with a bit of help from Jim Dandy...i think i finally worked out Ernst's concept behind this 'southern nights 'release. simply it was to show Elvis's wide repertopire (at the time) NOT to feature gospel such as why me lord or how great thou art , but to feature a rock n'roll CD with rarely performed songs. This this CD achieved 100% the songs are good versions and simply the way he attacks 'I can't stop loving you' alone would be worth the price of this CD and the even sound throughout is another achievement.Elvis sounds in great voice/form throughout and it has a similar style as Spring Tours 77' like starting off with the same opening song. nice enjoyable listening and i havn't got bored with it yey by listening to it twice daily! :D

Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:56 pm

I liked that release from the start. A lot of rare songs and Elvis performs them all well. He is in good voice and enjoys himself. No dull performances of Hound Dog, All Shook Up or other crap. Just well performed songs that show that Elvis still could deliver!

:D

Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:05 am

I've listened to it twice now and my verdict is that it is a keeper.

Not that I would have thrown it away or anything like that.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 pm

No more programming out songs like "Amen/ I Got A Woman" (complete with JD Sumner's antics) etc.!