Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

Elvis - The Lost Album (A Review)

Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:13 pm

Released in November 1990 this LP was made up of tracks that had only previously appeared as soundtrack bonus songs, single B sides or lost album tracks.

In 1963 there was no way of releasing this gem of an album as 'It Happened At The World's Fair', 'Fun In Acapulco' and 'Elvis' Gold Records Volume 3' were all big sellers.

There was just no room in the market / release schedule.

Comprising the entire May 26-27, 1963 session and the three tracks recorded January 12, 1964 this album is a joy:-

1. Long Lonely Highway - To kick off this album this great pop rocker would later be the opening sequence of Allied Artists 'Tickle Me' in 1965. A very happy, bouncy number with Elvis seeming to have great fun.

2. Western Union - With this song ala 'Return To Sender' we have a perfect 60's pop song showcasing some great backing from The Jordanaires. Not originally released until 1968 as a 'Speedway' album filler.

3. Witchcraft - Elvis' breath control is amazing on this two-tone musical number originally released as the B side to smash hit 'Bossa Nova Baby'.

4. Love Me Tonight - Sung very gentle and tender this beautiful ballad is from the pen of Don Robertson writer of such Elvis classics as 'I Met Her Today' and 'There's Always Me'.

5. What Now, What Next, Where To - Another beautiful Don Robertson song which Elvis nailed in one take.

6. Please Don't Drag That String Around - The B side to 'Devil In Disguise' needs to be better known. Pop perfection!!

7. Blue River - A throwaway 60's number later found as a bonus on the 'Double Trouble' LP. Pleasent enough but uninspired.

8. Never Ending - A fantastic song, expertly sung. Along with 'There's Always Me' and 'It Hurts Me' one of Elvis best ever sixties ballads.

9. Devil In Disguise - Destined to become a Elvis classic this was a Number 1 single in the UK and Number 3 in the USA.

10. Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers - Elvis could sing songs like this in his sleep. Held back until 1965 on the mish-mash 'Elvis For Everyone' LP.

11. Echoes Of Love - Take 10 was the master and although nicely delivered it is nothing special.

12. Slowly But Surely - This rock / pop song has a great vocal by Elvis. Originally a bonus song on the 1963 'Fun In Acapulco' album this would also be the closing song to the 1965 movie 'Tickle Me'.

13. It Hurts Me - A crime that RCA put this out as the B side to 'Kissin' Cousins'. A very strong vocal is showcased on this exquisite ballad. Another fine version was later re-recorded for Elvis '68 Comeback TV Special.

14. Memphis, Tennessee - Elvis sings about home on this Chuck Berry number. Should have been a single but lost once again on RCA's 10th Anniversary album, 1965's 'Elvis For Everyone'.

15. Ask Me - Never one of this writers favourites. A song Elvis seems to have trouble with. It took 11 takes to get the master.

Andy

Re: Elvis - The Lost Album (A Review)

Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:17 am

jetblack wrote:15. Ask Me - A song Elvis seems to have trouble with. It took 11 takes to get the master.

Andy

Elvis has trouble with this tune?

Really?

I always thought Elvis sang it absolutely sublime!

His beautiful vocal seems to be sung effortlessly.

11 takes is relatively nuthin' anyway compared to later, much lesser known movie trax.

It took 31 to get Hound Dog down :!:

Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:04 am

That's the beauty regarding Elvis fans - we all here different things in different songs.

For this time period and these sessions when Elvis was nailing the master in around 5 takes I'd say he was having trouble with the song for this master to be Take 11.

Andy

Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:05 pm

I enjoyed each comment on each song....
I always like to know what fans think about the song itself. :wink:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:35 am

jetblack wrote:That's the beauty regarding Elvis fans - we all here different things in different songs.

For this time period and these sessions when Elvis was nailing the master in around 5 takes I'd say he was having trouble with the song for this master to be Take 11.

Andy

well, maybe he was jus trying to better his vocal with each passing Take :!: :?:

Elvis was like that sometimes...

doesn't necessarily mean he was having "trouble" with it :!:

Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:16 pm

Further info. regarding the trouble Elvis was having cutting this song when on 27th May 1963 he tried to cut it alongside Memphis, Tennessee but was not satisfied. Take 2 from this session was released on the 1991 box set 'Collectors Gold'.

Elvis indeed was a perfectionist.

Andy

Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:15 pm

I've long thought that FOR THE ASKING (THE LOST ALBUM) would have been his best 60s album by far had it been issued at the time. It's still my favourite from the period. The Guitar Man sessions would have made a good LP too. the TOO MUCH MONKEY BUSINESS compilation got it all wrong.

Elvis the lost album

Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:52 pm

... If no one else mentions it, I will. The LP cover, design, handlettering, and photos was supplied by me.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:11 pm

Well you did a good job on it mate cos the cover is exactly how it should have been. Very in keeping with other albums of the time.

Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:50 pm

This was an album that realy needed an release in the 60's, very strong material, it was a real shame that these recordings were butchered to single "B" sides and album fillers ... When I saw the cover of the European release I was blown away, I realy thought that this was a "unreleased" cover from the 60's ... Excellent designing from Ger Rijff ... Even today, I think it has the best sounding "Long Lonely Higway" on CD ...

PS those cheap Americans didn't want to pay any royalties for the disign, so they ripped off a cover from a bootleg!!! [Special Delivery from Elvis ...]

I still play this CD often, and when i'm bored with it, I replace it with FTD's "Long Lonely Highway" which got a lot of the same .. uhm .. tracks ..... !! 8)

Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:14 am

I love this "Lost Album" it is perfectO in my book! Love to listen to it! I much prefer this to "Fun In Acalpulco" even tho thats fun sometimes, but its not an outsanding work like the "Lost Album".

JEFF d
Elvis fan

Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:00 pm

I'm looking forward to receiving my copy of this album...ok I have the tracks on the 60s Masters but I have found a greater appreciating for Elvis' music by listening to his recordings in the form of albums rather than collections.

Re: Elvis - The Lost Album (A Review)

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:53 pm

minkahed wrote:
jetblack wrote:15. Ask Me - A song Elvis seems to have trouble with. It took 11 takes to get the master.

Andy

Elvis has trouble with this tune?

Really?

I always thought Elvis sang it absolutely sublime!

His beautiful vocal seems to be sung effortlessly.

11 takes is relatively nuthin' anyway compared to later, much lesser known movie trax.

It took 31 to get Hound Dog down :!:
Elvis had more than a little trouble since he was not satisfied in 63 recording session and rerecorded it in 1964.

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:44 pm

Does anyone know who did the excellent LP cover, design, handlettering, and photos for this album ?

Re: Elvis the lost album

Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:00 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... If no one else mentions it, I will. The LP cover, design, handlettering, and photos was supplied by me.

Well, ColinB beter READ the whole topic before asking questions .... :lol:

Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:00 am

THE LOST ALBUM
what a great album, one of my favorite, it really should released in the 60'
Great sound of: "Long lonely highway", "Slowly but surly" , "ask me" ....
LIOR

Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:55 am

Would this qualify as a "classic album" to be released as an FTD 2 disc set with lots of out-takes?

It might be a nice addition to the FTD collection with Kevan Budd doing the mastering.

Any thoughts?

RKS

Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:50 pm

ImageRelated discussion on this album
for those who missed it:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... highlight=