Post here all reviews related to Offical RCA/BMG/FTD releases

FTD All Shook Up

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:32 am

ALL SHOOK UP

General impressions:

My favourite FTD release from this season. The sound quality may not be quite as clear as Elvis at the International, but I like the overall mix. The piano features more strongly on this CD, perhaps at the expense of the guitar and drums a little(?) which possibly makes it feel slightly less high octane than other performances. Elvis is in a great mood though, and having a ball on stage. Standout tracks – Suspicious Minds and Are You Lonesome Tonight (which is hilarious). Artwork: nice pics, black and white inside. Some of them look familiar. Text is hard to read inside.

1. Blue Suede Shoes
Mix probably makes this the best version released from this season.

2. I Got A Woman
Almost as good as LILV release.

3. All Shook Up
Great for an oldie!

4. Love Me Tender
Decent version.

5. Jailhouse Rock/Don’t Be Cruel
On a par with other ’69 performances.

6. Heartbreak Hotel
Good bluesy version. A bit of a challenge for the piano player!

7. Hound Dog
Almost as good as LILV performance.

8. I Can’t Stop Loving You
Good solid performance, but for I prefer quicker versions!

9. Mystery Train/Tiger Man
Great to hear but arrangement was better in 1970.

10. Monologue
Almost identical to other concerts from ’69.

11. Baby What You Want Me To Do
Probably the best version released from this season.

12. Runaway
Great version – Elvis really turned it on for Del Shannon.

13. Are You Lonesome Tonight? (laughing version)
Classic – great fun.

14. Rubberneckin’
False start. Great to hear this song performed live.

15. Yesterday/Hey Jude
On a par with other ’69 releases.

16. Introductions
Tutt - Scheff.

17. In The Ghetto
Slightly off key in places. Elvis sang this better in 1970.

18. This Is The Story
A brave choice for live performance! Interesting to hear, though not one of my favourites.

19. Suspicious Minds
Not as high octane as Onstage and TTWII, but the mix is interesting, and Elvis’ vocals superb.

20. Can’t Help Falling In Love
One of the best live versions I’ve heard. Love the piano.

Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:45 am

:lol: Thanks for the review!

Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:25 am

Best ´69 version of I Got A Woman can be found on Elvis At The International IMO. That´s what I´d call a high octane performance. I have problems enjoying Love Me Tender from these August ´69 performances, it´s something with the "amount" of vibrato he uses I think. It was much better sung in August 1970 and also the Memphis, March 20th. 1974 version beats the August ´69 versions hands down.

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:01 am

are the drums up front on this mix like the perfect Live At The International???

mine is still on order, (after almost a month), so maybe I'll get it in
another month or so...

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:27 am

Read his review again...! :)

Sincerely MB280E

Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:14 am

so what we have here is decent show from '69 with a predominantly loud piano mix...

Interesting...

Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:21 am

I enjoy most of the performances of All Shook Up.
But I have a hard time listening to certain stage dialogue from the 1969 (and some 1970) shows.
So I ripped the tracks to wav and edited my own All Shook Up CD.
After removing rather uninteresting stuff as certain song intros (especially Hound dog - that one gets on my nerves), the group introductions, Hey Jude, sniffing and the career talk, I had an 18 track CD, 49 1/2 minutes long :)

Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:27 am

R.R.Police wrote:I enjoy most of the performances of All Shook Up.
But I have a hard time listening to certain stage dialogue from the 1969 (and some 1970) shows.
So I ripped the tracks to wav and edited my own All Shook Up CD.
After removing rather uninteresting stuff as certain song intros (especially Hound dog - that one gets on my nerves), the group introductions, Hey Jude, sniffing and the career talk, I had an 18 track CD, 49 1/2 minutes long :)

I thought by reading most of the reviews of this cd so far, that the dialogue be4 HOUND DOG is one of the best parts of the disc?

I've read somewhere that it's hilarious...?

Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:43 am

well, I guess I'll answer my own query on this release.

I think it's absolutely fantastic from start to fininsh.

The Elvis monolog is wonderful and incredibly humorous. I still haven't gotten tired of hearing it after 20 times.

The opening BLUE SEUDE SHOES ROCKS...

as does the MYSTERY TRAIN/TIGER MAN medley, simply a splendid and Rock hard tight jam.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:03 am

I'm listening to this All Shook Up cd again right now, and for the first time I'm listening to it using head phones.
And I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the mix!

The first times I listened to this cd via the loudspeakers, I thought the mix was poorly done, compared to Elvis At The International.

Now I've changed my mind. It's not a bad mix, only different!

Great to hear the piano this up front!

This of course has to mean less power from Ronnie and James, as these recordings were taped the way they were, using 8-track...

The show itself is grrrrreat! I would still rank Elvis At The International as the better show of these two, but still; Elvis anno 1969 couldn't go wrong!

Essential stuff!

Br
Kristian

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:19 am

Damn! I'm on a budget and I can't decide between All Shook Up and Elvis At the International! :(

Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:26 am

Kristian Hjelmaas wrote:I'm listening to this All Shook Up cd again right now, and for the first time I'm listening to it using head phones. I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised with the mix!

Always listen to Elvis shows and recording sessions through headphones. You tend to hear things that normally go unnoticed. Also, the sound quality is so much better as you have obviously noticed.

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:11 pm

Yes Rob.. I always do that..It´s another sound...

I liked the review! :wink:

Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:19 pm

Just got my copy of All Shook Up yesterday. Boy Elvis was in a good mood that night! Really enjoying it so far....

Jules