Elvis and Me

Post Here All Reviews Of Books/Magazines

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
CHR1S
Registered for: 13 years 11 months

Elvis and Me

Post by CHR1S »

a few months ago I read the "notorious" book and oh men I feel in love with it!!I had seen the tv series years ago and it didnt look good to me, for years I've been avoiding the book because I got the inpression that it was filled with, lets say "negative" details about Elvis private life.It turned out a completely different book than I expected!! my favorite part was the early days of Elvis and Priscilla in Germany.It really gave me a look about Elvis from a womans point of view. its was a very good read the only "down"side was the fact that it was a pocket size book with no color photos(since I have seen some of them in color) or a hard cover.Does anybody knows if there is ay delixe edtion or something?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Re: Elvis and Me

Post by midnightx »

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

While I am not in a position to refute anything written in the book, it wasn't a good read for me. I guess I am just one of those person who doesn't have an "inquiring mind" or needs to know everything.

rlj

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rlj4ep wrote:While I am not in a position to refute anything written in the book, it wasn't a good read for me. I guess I am just one of those person who doesn't have an "inquiring mind" or needs to know everything.

rlj
If we're speaking of Elvis' former wife's autobiography, let's just say the book was disappointing. It was a superficial look at one of his most important relationships.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I guess for me, DOC, things which are shared within the covenant of marriage should remain there, IMHO. I felt at times that it was a sanitized tell-all book. Obviously there was the foreknowledge that the book would sell, especially because of the relational aspects. Perhaps that was a motivation(?). But why "betray" (if that's the right word) what was supposed to be kept between a man and woman. A marriage is different than any other earthly relationship. Perhaps that is at the root of my former post about the book.

rlj

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

rlj4ep wrote:I guess for me, DOC, things which are shared within the covenant of marriage should remain there, IMHO. I felt at times that it was a sanitized tell-all book. Obviously there was the foreknowledge that the book would sell, especially because of the relational aspects. Perhaps that was a motivation(?). But why "betray" (if that's the right word) what was supposed to be kept between a man and woman. A marriage is different than any other earthly relationship. Perhaps that is at the root of my former post about the book.

rlj
I don't recall too many shocking revelations in the 1985 work. Frankly, after Goldman's hack job in 1981, the bar couldn't be set any lower. But for someone who met Elvis in September 1959 when just 14, moved in with him less than four years later, married him and gave birth to his only child, saw some of his greatest professional triumphs first hand (NBC 1968, American Sound 1969, International 1969), the writing offered little insight. It was a missed opportunity to learn more about someone no longer just a popular singer, actor, or entertainer, or loving father or husband, but a historical figure of great importance.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I see your point and the perspective you come from. Thanks DOC.

Goldman's book...., I think you would agree that the less said the better about that mess!

rlj

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

I guess she could have told us more about the music. And about how he really felt about the films - how it affected him. But maybe she just didn't know that much about the process. Or some things that people later asked about just didn't occur to her and her co-writer.

I would have liked to know a lot more about that brief but crucial period in late 1970, but she offers no real insight there. I guess she was too close to it.

But it's nothing at all like the film. And that's a good thing right there.

rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I agree rjm. I have only watched the film once...., that was enough for me.

rlj

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

I think we have to understand that she was a . . . "girlie-girl." Her big concern at that time was pleasing her man and figuring out the mysteries of lasagna.

We just have to accept that. The bigger questions just weren't there at the time for her.

rjm

Sent via my most phabulous phablet, the Galaxy Note 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Elvis shouldn't have married Priscilla Beaulieu.