Topic author
tcb4
Registered for: 19 years 2 months

Jerry Hopkins's book

Post by tcb4 »

Hello

Is it so good ?
Here is what i found about the book

Jerry Hopkins's "Elvis: A Biography" was the first book on popular music to top the U.S. bestseller list, and its sequel was equally popular. Long out of print, both books, along with a wealth of exciting new interviews, are brought together in "Elvis" to form the most exhaustive account available of the King's life. Telling the complete story of Presley's rise and fall, from his poverty-stricken childhood in Tupelo through his musical development and emergence as pop's first superstar to his decline and death, the book explores Presley's singular appeal, his far-reaching influence, and his extraordinary legacy. Featuring newly published firsthand interviews with people close to Elvis -- including high school teachers, girlfriends, directors, agents, recording engineers, bodyguards, sidemen, karate instructors, medical professionals, and even his personal jeweler -- "Elvis" presents a comprehensive and amazingly intimate look at this cultural icon.

Jean-Jacques99
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Re: Jerry Hopkins's book

Post by Jean-Jacques99 »

First published in 1971 Hopkins’ original book "Elvis" was the very first serious biography on Elvis – and in fact one of the first serious biographies about anyone in "Pop Music".
When I first read it as a teenager I was incredibly impressed with all the details and revelations about Elvis’ life until then. The first book of course perfectly ended with Elvis’ 1970 return as the conquering hero and once again top of his game. It was also the only serious biography published during Elvis’ lifetime.
Hopkins’ sequel ‘Elvis: The Final Years’ was later published in 1980.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

I read it also as a teenager, at 16 years old in 1984 and reread it many times. Great book by a great writer. I became a fan of Elvis in a second. Too bad that Elvis didn't meet him to tell more stories and information about his career.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

tcb4 wrote:
Wed May 26, 2010 7:57 pm
Hello

Is it so good ?
Here is what i found about the book

Jerry Hopkins's "Elvis: A Biography" was the first book on popular music to top the U.S. bestseller list, and its sequel was equally popular. Long out of print, both books, along with a wealth of exciting new interviews, are brought together in "Elvis" to form the most exhaustive account available of the King's life. Telling the complete story of Presley's rise and fall, from his poverty-stricken childhood in Tupelo through his musical development and emergence as pop's first superstar to his decline and death, the book explores Presley's singular appeal, his far-reaching influence, and his extraordinary legacy. Featuring newly published firsthand interviews with people close to Elvis -- including high school teachers, girlfriends, directors, agents, recording engineers, bodyguards, sidemen, karate instructors, medical professionals, and even his personal jeweler -- "Elvis" presents a comprehensive and amazingly intimate look at this cultural icon.

Yes.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!