Rockin' Across Texas v. Elvis in Texas (Stanley Oberst books

Post Here All Reviews Of Books/Magazines

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
GeeBee

Rockin' Across Texas v. Elvis in Texas (Stanley Oberst books

Post by GeeBee »

I read Elvis in Texas, and I see that no review has yet been posted on this site for Rockin' Across Texas. Have any of you read both of these books? I'd love to hear your comparison. Thanks!

PiersEIN

Post by PiersEIN »

No comparison really.
'Rockin' Across Texas' is a sensational upgrade. And, yes, I bought both.
Go here for book & CD review and pictures.

includes. . .

The earlier ‘Elvis In Texas’ book had the minor faults of poor quality photos, poor binding and a few inaccuracies but now these have all been sorted out. The print quality is excellent, dates have been verified and new stories added. Rather than a reprint of Stanley Oberst’s 2002 book, as suggested elsewhere, this is a gorgeous rewrite and upgrade featuring better design, improved text and even better photographs. While I did buy the first edition I have no qualms in recommending that anyone buys this upgraded version.

Verdict – There is plenty to explore here and fascinating tales to read. It is great to see FTD involved in a combined novel and CD, instead of just a photo & information book. This is a book that you can really get absorbed in and the design is very pleasing. While it is a shame that the 1974 CD couldn’t have been a new 1950’s concert with Texas interviews, the second 1976 CD certainly makes up for it and it is a great improvement on the earlier Tucson release. Another fine FTD product.

Cheers
Piers

Topic author
GeeBee

Post by GeeBee »

Excellent, Piers! Thank you so much for your insightful reply -- I'm sold! (or rather buying it!!) :D

rlj4ep
Mood:

Re: Rockin' Across Texas v. Elvis in Texas (Stanley Oberst b

Post by rlj4ep »

A really nice review. Thnaks very much. I, too, really enjoy FTD "Texas" book. It is really done nice. I really appreciate much of the focus on the 1950's. Really good stuff.

Mike Eder

Re: Rockin' Across Texas v. Elvis in Texas (Stanley Oberst b

Post by Mike Eder »

Yeah they really made it a better book by taking out a lot of the groupie stories and rumors.

Mike Eder