WATCHING ELVIS' FILMS AT RANDOM

Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

lucio
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Re: WATCHING ELVIS' FILMS AT RANDOM

Post by lucio »

Although I sit with Chris and Dave watching these movies, it's quite unusual that we completely disagree on the best songs in each film. Chris prefers the King of the Ballads in general while I go for the King of Rock and Roll. My top tracks tends to be his bottom and vice versa.
In spite of Chris's bad taste in music (just kidding), it's a testament to Elvis' talent in that he can attract fans with all types of musical tastes.
Loved 'World's Fair' when I saw it the first time and still do today.
Lucio

Topic author
Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

We’re back to Lucio’s for another Elvis night – and happily I pick “G. I. BLUES” from the hat. It was a frequent film on TV, but none of us have watched it in quite a while.

The wide-screen version presented here is good. The black bars, top and bottom, are minimal and present nearly a standard TV version.

Elvis’ first film after his stint in the army seems to show. His acting in the first half hour or so is a little stiff and he seems uncomfortable. I assume the filming order mirrors the film’s final edit. Of course, part of Elvis’ discomfort may be the script – such a big change from his last two films.

We see the beginning of the Elvis musical, but with a decent script, likeable co-stars and something that recognizes his recent absence from the musical scene.

Juliet Prowse is fine in the film, but none of us thought she was the prettiest in the bunch. We’ll take Cookie’s girl, the one who thinks girls in New York raise bagels. Cute.

The film is well-known, I’m sure, and features several tracks I really like. Those I do like are opposite to Lucio’s preferences – WHAT’S SHE REALLY LIKE (so short, unfortunately, as it’s sung briefly in the shower scene), DOIN’ THE BEST I CAN and POCKETFUL OF RAINBOWS. Lucio prefers WOODEN HEART, SHOPPIN’ AROUND and the title song. None of those make any favourite CD compilations I have made in the past.

The film – a 9. David thought a 8. For light, musical fare, I was very entertained – and never looked at my watch. All agreed.

Rewatchability – 9. This is a movie I’ve seen many times, and don’t at all mind watching again.

Memphis Mafia – Several of Elvis’ friends are seen in the background – but I didn’t make specific notes, and went away on holiday, and so have forgotten.

It was another good night! A winner!
Last edited by Christopher Brown on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher Brown

HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

I assume the filming order mirrors the film’s final edit.
Films are never shot in the sequence which they appear on screen. They will usually do all the scenes on one particular set and move on.

Bob

Topic author
Christopher Brown
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Christopher Brown »

Tonight, David picks FUN IN ACAPULCO from the hat. It was a frequent film on TV, but again, it’s been a while since any of us have watched it.

The wide-screen version presented here is good. The black bars, top and bottom, are minimal and present nearly a standard 4X3 TV version.

This film and soundtrack had been something my kids enjoyed with me, and being such a wonderful dad, I would often sing (not a pleasant sight) (THERE’S) NO ROOM TO RHUMBA IN A SPORTS CAR at night time for my two girls. They got quite a kick out of it, and despite the lyrics, it’s a song I like. I didn’t say it was a great song, but I like it, and I enjoy playing it on the piano. Actually, there’s only song in the whole soundtrack I don’t like, and that’s “Guadalajara”.

David and I recall upsetting Lucio some time ago when we told him Elvis didn’t venture to Mexico for the film. All scenes in Mexico are provided by an Elvis stand-in. Generally, it was done well, but the screen behind his and other characters from time to time is quite noticeable. A significant improvement to a film I really like would have had Elvis on location. It did wonders for BLUE HAWAII and GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!

The worst “stand-in” shot is when Mike is driving with Dolores up to a make-out spot. The stand-in is definitely wearing quite a different hairstyle.

Elvis’ co-stars do an adequate job. Ursula Andress recently appeared in the first James Bond movie, Dr. No, and she is very attractive. The competing actress for Elvis’ love interest is Elsa Cardenas, a Spanish actress whose entire career was spent mostly in Spanish films and episodic TV in Spain (?). Both women were just about the same age as Elvis, with Ursula born in 1936 and Elsa in 1935.

The child in this film (and Elvis’ films are littered with them) was played by Larry Domasin, and he did a great job. I’ve always loved his performance, and think of him as a little Colonel Parker – 50% commission and everything. His negotiations with the hotel owners are quite amusing, and in this widescreen version, you could see them. On a full-screen version, they were often off-screen or just partially visible.

Larry’s career only lasted about 5 years. If I recall, an Elvis magazine (TMAHM?) had an interview with him. I should look that up.

Elvis’ fighting partner (only one fight in this film) was played by Alejandro Rey. He’s a good actor, is much more physically fit than Elvis ever was, and played for three years in the silly TV series THE FLYING NUN.

Howard McNear (Floyd the barber from THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW) makes another oh-too-short appearance as a surgeon visiting from the US. He’s sorry to miss the Dolores’ bull-fight – and human blood doesn’t bother him!!

IMBD film information notes that Teri Garr plays a hotel guest (not spotted), and that Red West played a poolside guest (not spotted). We do believe we spotted him at the La Perla Restaurant (still there) scene just as Elvis is ready to sing the final song of the film after completing a dive.

The film – a solid 9 (received a 10 from Lucio). For light, musical fare, I was very entertained – and never looked at my watch. All agreed. On-location filming with Elvis would make it a 10 for me.

Rewatchability – 9 - 10. This is a movie I’ve seen many times, and would look forward to seeing again.

Soundtrack – My favourite song, YOU CAN’T SAY NO IN ACAPULCO is Lucio’s least favourite. As noted, aside from “Guadalajara”, I like all the songs, and really like most of them! All agreed. This is a favourite soundtrack album of mine, and yes he should have been singing better material, but his voice is just so beautiful on many of these tracks, I just love them.

Memphis Mafia – Red West, as noted, is said to be in poolside scene and we thought we observed him at the La Perla Restaurant scenes.

Another good night! A winner for us!

Christopher Brown