STAR's lastest release BORN TO ROCK Vol.3

Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
bc55
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

STAR's lastest release BORN TO ROCK Vol.3

Post by bc55 »

I would like to recommend STAR's latest DVD "Born To Rock Volume 3".

It's a great collection of Re-Mixes, Rockers, Swingers and Killers ( titled such by STAR ).

The DVD kicks off with a few trailers, for THE FANTASY CONCERT, which contains the 1974 Memphis live recording and 8mm footage to go with every song from the looks of it, Hollywood Elvis 5, which has footage from Speedway, Stay Away Joe, and two more movies. First off are a bunch of remixed tracks, basically they are overdubs, some made well and others that just don't work ( for me ) -

- Jailhouse Rock

A new instrumental backing track set very well to Elvis' vocals, it seems as if they used the binaural version of the song and mixed the channel with Elvis' vocal only with a new backing track. I think it works well. This is set to the well-known JR scene from the movie, albeit the colorized version. I rate it 4/5.

- Let Us Pray is the song from Change Of Habit, works good but not one of my favorites. I rate it 3/5.

- Patch It Up is taken from TTWII, great footage with sort of 70s style dancers superimposed over it, a funky little video clip. I rate it 4/5.

- One-Sided Love Affair mixes various clips & pics of Elvis from different periods with a re-mixed backing track that is one of those songs that just doesn't work well. The overdubbing sometimes runs out of sync with the original track, and even though it is one of my favorite Elvis tracks, I have to rate it 2/5. Too bad .....

- Night Rider is taken from Tickle Me, albeit from a weaker source as the recent DVD release, set again to a re-mix. Works ok, 3/5.

- Mystery Train / Tiger Man is taken from the ELVIS THE CONCERT DVD from 2002 I believe, I like it. 4/5.

Next up are the Rockers.

- 1957 Road Medley

The well-known segment from Loving You, albeit altered and extended, pepped up with segments from throughout the movie, PARTY, TEDDY BEAR, GOT A LOT O' LIVIN' TO DO and HOT DOG. This type of stuff is where STAR really shines, great editing, cool new audio-track, essential ! 5/5.

- You're A Heartbreaker is set to seldom & rarely seen pictures of Elvis from the early days. 4/5.

- Long Tall Sally is taken from the Mississippi Alabama Fair & Dairy Show from 1956, which was recently released by MRS in better picture quality. Nothing new here, 3/5.

- Elvis At Sullivan is Elvis' farewell performance on Ed Sullivan's TV show from January 1957, the medley section feat. Hound Dog, Love Me Tender and Heartbreak Hotel, probably sourced from the DVD set. Nothing new here, 3/5.

- We're Gonna Move is the popular track from Love Me Tender, using footage from the movie to make it into a video clip. Pretty nice, 4/5.

- I'm Left You're Right She's Gone is phenomenal. Simply THE BEST TRACK on the DVD ! Why ? Well, it uses the earliest known Elvis footage from The Cotton Bowl in Dallas from somewhere in early 1955 ( cracks please correct me if I'm wrong ) and lip-synchs it to the SUN Records track. I mean it, I never knew it was THAT song he was singing, but it truly IS, wow !!!!! Also included is rare footage that has recently shown up on YouTube, Elvis on the red tractor and deep-sea fishing off the coast of Florida in 1956 with June Juanico & his buddies and family. A great clip, I rate it a 5+, hands down.

Swingers are next.

- Kiss Me Quick is a medley of scenes from Elvis' movies, where he kisses the ladies ( ha, who would have thought ?! ), set to an alternate take of the track. 3/5.

- Edge Of Reality is the dream-sequence I never really dug in the first place, from Live A Little, Love A Little, turned into a video-clip. 3/5.

- Meanest Girl In Town is from Girl Happy, enjoyable enough but merely run through a color filter. 3/5.

- Slicin' Sand is an extended alternate take of the track, set to a cleverly edited scene from Blue Hawaii, another top-notch STAR clip. 4/5.

- Poison Ivy League is the track & clip from Roustabout, one of Elvis' better soundtrack efforts. 3/5.

- Trying To Get To You is edited together from several alternate and main angles from the sit-down portion of the '68 CBS, a great clip with some really cool shots of Elvis, again this is the stuff STAR really excels at. 5/5.

Last but not least are the Killers.

- Polk Salad Annie is from TTWII, although I think it was only released on The Lost Performances video in the 80s. Great song, great clip. 4/5.

- Proud Mary is from the On Tour rehearsals, great song, great clip. 4/5.

- Rock And Roll Medley is, I'm pretty sure, from the AS RECORDED LIVE ON STAGE IN MEMPHIS concert from 1974, set to 8mm clips from THAT show ( !!!!! ) and Aloha From Hawaii clips, works well ! 4/5.

- You Don't Have To Say You Love Me is from the TTWII rehearsals, 3/5.

- Little Sister, dito, but set to 8mm footage. 4/5.

- Stranger In The Crowd is, I believe, also from The Lost Performances. 3/5.

As a bonus on this DVD is a segment from the 30th Anniversary concert, filmed from the audience from a little far off to the back left of the audience, but up to now it's probably the only circulated version. Nice to see, 4/5. Great stuff, featuring clips from the 70s, 60s and even 50s.

I would like to stress that this is my personal review, it might be totally different for any other Elvis fan.

IMHO any STAR release is worth its price. Don't buy rip-offs for big money, buy 'em from STAR, they are competitively priced and really are worth every penny.

daz cav
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

star

Post by daz cav »

When is it out i see the pre publicity machine is rolling for these dvd- r releases but i dont see them out yet, Cant wait till they are as Star has done the dvd collectors proud 8)

Topic author
bc55
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by bc55 »

I got mine last week. It's out. Order 'em now !!!!!

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Narek »

Does STAR have a website?Can you tell me the link?

He's the King. No matter what you think.

BigredG
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Location: Coming in through the bathroom window, protected by a silver spoon, whilst sitting on a cornflake

Post by BigredG »

Got mine on order from STAR - looking forward to this one very much :)

KingElvis
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by KingElvis »

""" Polk Salad Annie is from TTWII, although I think it was only released on The Lost Performances video in the 80s. Great song, great clip. 4/5."""

""" Stranger In The Crowd is, I believe, also from The Lost Performances. 3/5"""

None of these two songs was released on The lost performances video.
The video was released in 1992......not the 80s.

Narek

Post by Narek »

Does anyone have at least a thumbnail size cover of this dvd?

Narek

Re: STAR's lastest release BORN TO ROCK Vol.3

Post by Narek »

Got mine yesterday. the highlight to me was the 30th anniversary show segment. Unfortunately it was in bad quality, yet I enjoyed it a lot.
I think this DVD was well worth the money.