Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

DVD-Hot shots cool clips 2

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:22 am

I just recieved my DVD of Hot shots cool clips volume 2 and watched it all this afternoon. I wanted to write this review as quickly as possible to warn people as soon as I could because I was expecting alot more for my money than this. I am not saying don't buy it, but know what you are getting before you do. I am a really big fan of rare footage and I try to collect all I can but the words “rip-off” & dissapointment come to mind immediately. I have gotten more rare footage from some of those cheap documentaries you get at Walmart in the $5 bin.

To start off with the DVD cover is a fine design and the menu is organized and easy to follow. Let me now just go thru each chapter and make notes to each one as I see fit.

The first thing is a couple of minutes of the 1956 memphis court footage when ELvis was charged with assault. There is more than before but here is what starts one of the most annoying things on this DVD. The chapter starts out with a detail of what the footage is and dated, but then you get a large date band that stays over the footage thru the whole clip and actually covers half of Elvis’ face, thru alot of it. This is totally unbelievable to me that they released it this way.

Then you get about 5 minutes of Elvis in Olympia stadium in Detroit from 1957. The footage is very far away and grainy, but it is rare. Since its silent they have overdubbed Elvis talking over the clip which is a good idea, but then ruined because then they overdubbed some annoying instrumental music which almost drowns out Elvis. This overdubbing is done on most of the clips.

Then you get a couple of minutes of the outside of Graceland filmed in 1957 with no Elvis in the picture at all.

Next is about 3 minutes of Army induction footage most of which we have seen before.

Then comes footage of the GI Blues premiere. Guess what, no Elvis footage here either, because, he didn’t attend!

Next we get about a minute more of the 1960 Footage with Bobby Darin. Nothing too earth shattering here.

Next is footage of the colonel’s birthday party held while Elvis was making Girl Happy. Guess what......yeah you guessed right, NO Elvis footage again. By now, I am thinking what is going on. But I continue on.

The JC’s luncheon. This chapter is the largest chapter at 14 minutes and yet we still only get the same speech as before, but footage from all the other nominees. What was the point of this? Oh there is a few seconds of Elvis before the speech time that hasn’t been seen before. A few seconds out of 14 minutes. Here I was hoping we would get the whole speech including his introduction all the way to the end. Another dissapointment.

Next is about 10 minutes of the NY press conference, of which about 9 minutes of I have seen before on many other DVD’s.

This next chapter is the most exciting for me. We get 6 minutes of really clear footage of Elvis in Madison Square Garden in 1972. Filmed from Elvis’ upper left, I hadn’t seen this footage before.
And the footage is very clear. I only wish it was longer.

The very last chapter is about 5 minutes of Elvis live in Chicago in june of 1972. Again, I hadn’t seen this before, and it is very clear.

There you have it. A total running time of under an hour, of which many chapters do not even include Elvis, and some that do, include footage we have seen many times before. I am not sure Mr. Tunzi has hit the bottom of the barrel, but it sure looks like it. Total minutes of previously unseen Elvis amounts to about 15 minutes at most. At $40, this amounts to a rip-off. I really expected much more for my money. I really wanted to like this DVD and there is some rare footage, albiet very brief, but there has to be a value for your money, and I didn‘t find that here. If Mr. Tunzi wants to retain customers he will need to re-think some of his choices made in producing his DVD‘s. I won’t buy this series again unless things have improved. By the way, for purchasing this DVD you get a free reproduction Elvis concert ticket, that isn’t worth the paper its printed on. One other annoying thing is that some footage is presented in slow motion. This is never needed as everyone has a slow motion button on their remote if we want to view it that way. One thing that was nice, was that for the first time on an Elvis DVD we get an easter egg of hidden footage. I won’t tell you how to access this, I will leave it up to you to find it. But don’t look too hard for it, because, yes you guessed it, Elvis isn’t even in the footage!!
Last edited by ekenee on Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:45 am

Hmmmm :?

Thanks for the review ekenee
Last edited by R.R.D on Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:09 am

A good reveiw, but I'm sorry to correct you, but there

was an Easter egg on both of the single disc versions of

The '68 Comeback & Aloha discs that came out last

year.

8)

Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 am

Tigerman wrote: A good reveiw, but I'm sorry to correct you, but there

was an Easter egg on both of the single disc versions of

The '68 Comeback & Aloha discs that came out last

year.

Yes you are correct. Actually I don't even count this new DVD as an easter egg find, since they missed the oppurtunity to include an Elvis clip.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:30 pm

THANKS for this review ekenee
do you think the MSG footage is fan footage or pro footage ?
same question for chicago footage ?

Christian M

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:46 pm

Christian, I haven't seen the DVD, and at that price, am unlikely to, but i the footage is from Elvis upper left, it sounds the same as what was seen in Elvis Memories, among other releases, which means it's pro shot.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Mr. Tunzi said that there were around 15 minutes of film from the first MSG concert (from "2001" to "Polk Salad"). My question is why does he release only 5?!? I would have bought the DVD only for those 15 minutes! I don´t like the "a little bit of that and that" concept. I´m not going to buy it.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:56 pm

Sounds like Tunzi expects there are quite a few schmoes in the Elvis fandom.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:58 pm

what a big dissappointment :oops:

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:01 pm

found this on youtube if you just after the msg footage take the one on youtube it`s just 3min but for free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sThhBPhl8bA

Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks for the headsup ekenee!

Hi

Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:26 pm

Hello Ekenee,

Can you tell me whether the Chicago 1972 footage is of Elvis wearing his white or blue jumpsuit?
Thanks.
Simon

Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:57 am

Hi, This is for some of you that asked for more details on the 1972 footage.

The NY footage is from the June 9th show. Although its very clear, I don't believe this to be pro shot. No tripod. Hand-held just like you would normally see from super 8 footage and taken from way back, but they zoomed in quite a bit. No close-ups, but some good head to toe shots. You mainly get the first part of the show, which he opened with some fast tempo songs. I don't have this show on audio but it must be 'that's all right' and 'proud mary' just like the original album show. And one more song, which i believe to be 'polk salad', but its silent so I am guessing here.

Next is the question about the Chicago shows from june 1972.
I have had the afternoon show from the 17th in which Elvis wears the white coat with the paisley shirt for years. That was one of the first boot videos I ever bought back in the 70's. That show is not presented here.

It starts off with 2 minutes of the show from the 16th. It is filmed from way back and is not zoomed in. You can't see any face features from ELvis. No details of the suit, although its white and he's wearing a belt and cape. In my opinion this kind of footage should not be on this type of DVD. The standards should be set higher than this.

Then you get about 5 minutes from the evening show from the 17th. Elvis is wearing the blue nail suit. This footage is very clear and shown from head to toe. Not close up, but its clear so you can see face features and its lite very well. Again, not pro-shot and tunzi gives credit to the owner of the footage, that was filmed with hand held camera as was the previous two clips. Lots of movement by Elvis. I think he's in the middle of "suspiciuos minds' on one clip too.

I hope this helps a little.

Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:08 am

THANKS for the detail ekenee

christian M

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:46 am

after reading ur review, i thought as i was rolling my eyes another malcontent raining on my parade as i just got this in the mail today. But i must agree with you. The footage of the Col's birthday party that goes on and on, along with the speeches of the Jaycee members was abit much. Rather dissapointing. Id expect more then this. However the MSG conference/footage and Chicago does make it worth it. I rate it a C+

Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:08 am

Thanks for the reviews and heads up ...

Looks like I will not be purchasing this DVD after all ... :roll:

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:11 am

Kylan wrote: I rate it a C+

So you finally agree with one of posts. I would grade it a C- and I agree the Chicago footage is good.

Bottom line for $40 the grade should be either an A or B. I expect of C grade on a cheap put together item.

So did you find the hidden easter egg footage?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:41 am

yes I got the easter egg thing but i dont get it, it runs at the end ekee.. u dont have to find it the footage of the Col. or are u talking about something else?

Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Yeah that is it. It is not hard to find, but it's not on the menu so technically its considered hidden footage. Although a total waste time.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:40 am

The JC’s luncheon. This chapter is the largest chapter at 14 minutes and yet we still only get the same speech as before, but footage from all the other nominees. What was the point of this?

If you can't figure out why Tunzi included portions of the other 9 winners. I feel sorry for you. It's to give the viewer a greater sense of the prestige of the Jaycees award.

I just recieved my DVD of Hot shots cool clips volume 2 and watched it all this afternoon. I wanted to write this review as quickly as possible to warn people as soon as I could because I was expecting alot more for my money than this.

Is it just me or does it sound as if your review was premeditated with bias before you even watched it.

I have gotten more rare footage from some of those cheap documentaries you get at Walmart in the $5 bin.

I'd like to know what Wal-Mart you shop at that you get more rare footage in those cheap documentaries at the bargain bin. I don't see too many Elvis DVDs coming out with even 15 minutes of rare footage that aren't either produced by bootleggers, who don't have to pay for their footage or a major film studio/entity such as EPE or Warner Bros.

Next we get about a minute more of the 1960 Footage with Bobby Darin. Nothing too earth shattering here.

Nothing too earth shattering about Bobby Darin introducing Elvis from the audience in Las Vegas. Have you been smoking weed?

Oh, and by the way, there's two Easter Eggs on the DVD. I'll let you see if you can figure out exactly where.

There is more than before but here is what starts one of the most annoying things on this DVD. The chapter starts out with a detail of what the footage is and dated, but then you get a large date band that stays over the footage thru the whole clip and actually covers half of Elvis’ face, thru alot of it. This is totally unbelievable to me that they released it this way.

First of all, why would Tunzi have to put the bars up on the footage? Because of rampant piracy in certain corners of the world. Secondly, the bar on the '56 footage doesn't cover Elvis' head all the time, like ekenee would like you to believe.

Total minutes of previously unseen Elvis amounts to about 15 minutes at most. At $40, this amounts to a rip-off.

I don't think ekenee realizes how much unreleased Elvis footage can cost. It obvious that Tunzi is limited by what he can do. He's not Warner Bros. or EPE. He's not putting out a bootleg of footage with synced sound. He does have to abide by laws. Also unreleased Elvis footage isn't cheap in the least bit, sometimes running for as much as $1,000 a minute. So ekenee, if your estimates are right about 15 minutes of unreleased Elvis footage for $40.00. I would think that you got a steal of a deal.

If Mr. Tunzi wants to retain customers he will need to re-think some of his choices made in producing his DVD‘s. I won’t buy this series again unless things have improved. By the way, for purchasing this DVD you get a free reproduction Elvis concert ticket, that isn’t worth the paper its printed on.

I don't think that Tunzi will have a problem retaining customers, given that he's already sold out the DVD; less than a week after it came out. As for the ticket, I believe it is a reproduction of the Chicago '72 ticket made by the same Chicago company that made the original.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:17 am

Daryl, where do I start. "Premeditated bias". What? You don't have a clue what you are talking about. It is pure unbias. I paid forty dollars and wanted to love the DVD. I can't help it it was put together sloppily with no clue as to who they are marketing to. Obviously you were sent by mr. Tunzi to discredit my review.

There are so many flaws which I covered in my review, so there is no need to repeat them here although its obvious you are not a careful reader.

Yes Darin is introducing Elvis from the audience. Its silent and barely a minute long and not very clear footage. My review is of a whole DVD, and the parts do not equal the whole.

So because of piracy Tunzi ruins the footage? This is nuts. As if the pirates still can't make bootlegs of the DVD. I didn't buy a pirate copy, so I shouldn't have to deal with bars covering half of his face.
You can't even, in any way shape or form explain this. I am sick and tired of talked over footage, bars over the footage, and anything similair.
I want the footage in the best possible light with the least amount of intrusion. Let me remind you this is not a documentary where someone is trying to tell a story. This is a totally different style. This is just 10 chapters of footage shown one after the other in chronological order.
You didn't see a band across Elvis' face on the Ed Sullivan shows "Elvis on Ed Sullivan, January 7th, 1957". If they had done that, I would have been pissed off as well. Especially when this information is at the beginnning of the footage.

Daryl wrote: I don't think ekenee realizes how much unreleased Elvis footage can cost. It obvious that Tunzi is limited by what he can do. He's not Warner Bros. or EPE. He's not putting out a bootleg of footage with synced sound. He does have to abide by laws. Also unreleased Elvis footage isn't cheap in the least bit, sometimes running for as much as $1,000 a minute. So ekenee, if your estimates are right about 15 minutes of unreleased Elvis footage for $40.00. I would think that you got a steal of a deal.

Yes its expensive but that has nothing to do with the production choices of the DVD, such as a boring monotone music track. If his budget is pressed, then cut that out to save money? I could have had the footage for a week and did a better job with some simple editing program. Which, one now wonders why the release date took forever. And where did I say anything negative about the footage not being synced with sound? Look, I know he can't sync the footage up, and I never said he should, so I don't know where you got that from.

So for $40 for 15 minutes of rare footage is a steal, and rare footage is $1000 a minute......yeah so. By that reasoning then, a blockbuster movie like "titantic" that costs $100 million dollars to make, maybe they should charge people $5000 per DVD because it was so much money to make. The collectors who buy rare footage are buying it raw and it is rare as long as its unreleased. Once he chooses to release it, guess what DARYL ....its no longer rare. Its out there. So the price drops dramatically. That is called the free market system.

Daryl, why you are upset, I don't know, and I don't care. If you are happy with your 15 minutes of footage, that is your deal. I for one, have higher standards of what should be marketing for the Elvis legacy. I was shocked by the standards I saw, so I just had to say something. There is just too many flaws for one DVD. I am happy to get what footage there was for my collection, but damn it, what is with all the colonel parker footage doing on a release meant for collectors of Elvis. You can't explain that, so don't even try. Head-ups there hot shot. Pun intended. It is pure and simple filler, used to almost fill an hour to rip the fans off. I always expect some filler, but it was more than I could handle.
I don't like being ripped off like that. For $40, we deserve better.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:31 am

Yes its expensive but that has nothing, nothing, nothing to do with the production of the DVD. I could have had the footage for a week and did a better job with some simple editing program.

It has nothing to do with the production of the DVD...huh??? Have you been hitting the crack pipe or what? Cost has everything to do with production of a DVD.

By the way, if you're so talented that you could edit the DVD together, why haven't I seen any of your DVDs. Oh, that's right, you haven't done any. Or are they buried at the bottom of Wal-Mart's bargain bin?

So for $40 for 15 minutes of rare footage is a steal, and rare footage is $1000 a minute......yeah so. By that reasoning then, a blockbuster movie like "titantic" that costs $100 million dollars to make, maybe they should charge people $5000 per DVD because it was so much money to make.

What part of "Tunzi is limited by what he can do. He's not Warner Bros. or EPE" didn't you understand?

At the end of the day, Tunzi has to either purchase or license this footage from fellow collectors who wish not to have their footage in perfect quality pirated. Those collectors spend alot of money building their collections up and to expect them to put their footage out at the risk of piracy and devaluing their collection is absurd. I realize it that you don't like that Tunzi has to do this, but those are the parameters he must work within.

Daryl
Last edited by Daryl on Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:39 am

ekenee,

Premeditated bias - what was your hurry for getting on this review section and telling everybody about the DVD? And to quote you:

I just recieved my DVD of Hot shots cool clips volume 2 and watched it all this afternoon. I wanted to write this review as quickly as possible to warn people as soon as I could because I was expecting alot more for my money than this.

Tunzi had already sold out the DVD. So what was your hurry. I guarantee you that had you absolutely loved the DVD, you wouldn't have been in any hurry whatsoever.

Again - P-R-E-M-E-D-I-T-A-T-E-D B-I-A-S

Your review reeks as if you had given Tunzi a F by calling it "a rip off" and comparing it to bargain bin documentaries and such sort tactics but yet you give it a C-. What gives? Either you like it or you don't. In just about every chapter of your review of the DVD, you made some sort of snide remark that it wasn't this or it wasn't that. Take for example the Darin footage. What do you expect Tunzi to do with the Darin footage. Have it colorized. Turned into widescreen footage. Exactly what can he do to that clip. It is what it is. It's silent b&w footage of Bobby Darin on stage introducing Elvis in the audience. It's a short clip. Isn't that what the title of the DVD refers to, "Hot Shots And Cool Clips Vol. 2"

Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:46 am

Daryl - why when anyone disagrees with you have they been oing drugs?

Yes, Tunzi's DVD has been sold out, but many of those are to dealers, hoping to sell them on to fans who haven't ordered them yet, so Ekenee's review is useful to them when making their decision.

I haven't seen the DVD, and have no intention of paying such an extortionate price for so little new Elvis footage. Ekenee's posts are such that I would respect his opinion far more than someone who asks about crack pipes. If anyone is shoing bias, it's you. When will people wake up, smell the coffee, and realise Joe Tunzi seems to see $ signs, offering poor quality books / products for top dollar?

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:02 am

Hello DarrylMac,

How can you call Tunzi's books/projects poor quality and have ekenee call the DVD a ripoff but at the same token neither of you will take the time to comment on the terrible photo quality in FTD's "Live In L.A." Or the compression heavy "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong." If you truly feel that way about the DVD, why then won't you take the time to review "50 Million" or "Live In L.A." to those same high standards. And truth be told, in some places, "Live In L.A." goes for $120.00 or more for a photo book with blurry pictures and an inferior soundboard CD with an additonal audience recording on it. And ekenee wants to talk about rip-offs. Spare me the time.

Daryl