Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:30 am

It is possible that you privately sent messages/e-mails to your buddies samses, bajo, karlos, and dannyboy1. It most definitely is. It's a bit too obvious when four people come out of the woodwork and bash the DVD all at once.

And to compare Tunzi's DVD (an independent) to the Sullivan and TTWII-SE (major studios) in the manner you are just shows how ignorant you really are. Major studios have access to major distributors, unlike independents.

Daryl

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:04 am

Daryl's rantings: It's a bit too obvious when four people come out of the woodwork and bash the DVD all at once. \

It was bashed because its a poorly executed product and its an easy call.

You are the one that brought up the major studio DVD's not me.
I was only answering your comparison.

Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:10 am

Hello,

But when they're done within a few hours, if not less than that of each other it appears as if the other four conspired to bash the DVD per your request.

Daryl

Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:50 am

Ekenee..don't respond anymore, leave the subject be. I feel most of us reading this topic get the message. This Volume 2 is obviouly a great disappointment when compared to Volume 1. Expectations have been dashed and I believe your review was valid.
I think you should sit back now and watch over the forthcoming weeks and see if any other postings support your opinions.
Thank You for the review.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:19 pm

And to compare Tunzi's DVD (an independent) to the Sullivan and TTWII-SE (major studios) in the manner you are just shows how ignorant you really are. Major studios have access to major distributors, unlike independents.

But, Daryl, it was YOU who brought up TTWII SE, not Ekenee. He simply responded!

I haven't had any correspondence with anyone else, but won't touch this DVD with a 10 foot pole - Tunzi is giving the least possible for the highest possible price. I have volume 1, and didn't feel that was especially great value for money either. Unless he changes his ethos, Tunzi won't be getting any more of my cash for his overpricd tat.

Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:28 pm

Hello DarrylMac,

My comparision was the fact that there aren't very many Elvis DVD/VHS releases that have had over 20 minutes of unreleased Elvis footage.

Ekenee is comparing the price of the DVD to TTWII-SE or the Sullivan set. The reason the TTWII-SE or the Sullivan set can be priced so cheaply is because they are mass-produced by major studios and those studios have connections to major distributors that get those DVDs into the Wal-Marts, etc. Tunzi has to rely more on the Elvis dealers because his DVD is catered more towards a niche market. If he could sell 100,000 DVDs like the Sullivan set, yes, then his DVD would have a lower price point. But that just isn't going to happen because there's not 100,000 people interested in what's on his DVD. Therefore, you have a higher pricepoint. It's no different than what FTD does. Ernst Jorgensen is never going to have a Gold or Platinum record in the U.S. with an FTD. They're lucky if they're pushing 5,000 units tops. The Sullivan material appeals to not just the die-hard. It appeals to the casual fan, the fan of television shows like the Sullivan material as well as in general music fans. The reason TTWII-SE is sold so cheaply is because it didn't sell when it first came out. Therefore, warehouses have an overstock of them, and to rid themselves of that overstock, they have to sell it at a reduced price than before, so that they can recoup some of their money back. Otherwise, that overstock takes up space in their inventory that could be used for newer product.

Daryl

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:22 am

Got my copy at the weekend and I'd say ekenee's review was spot-on. It's an overpriced release with lots of padding making up the running time. Tunzi's sheer cheek at including footage that doesn't include Elvis is just breathtaking. The quality of his books has been dropping off over the last few years and now he thinks he can get away with putting out Elvis DVDs with footage that doesn't include Elvis. That bloke is just amazing! A lot of the other stuff on there was stuff I had already. Nice to see the Memphis court footage from '56 but I expected more for my cash. I'm sure all the army stuff is from the 'From Induction To Demob' video and most of the New York press conference was already used on Volume 1.

* The last two lines were removed by the administrator. You wrote what you thought of this product and no problem with that, but you get too personal at the end.

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 pm

I would like to offer my opinion of this dvd...

I put it into my dvd player last night for the first time with all of the bad feedback I've read over the previous postings ringing in my head before I saw a single frame!

After watching it I can say it wasn't as bad as I expected but I wasn't truly blown away either until the final ten minutes...

The date strip over the courtroom footage has been mentioned by several as being intrusive, but in reality apart from a few seconds (and it is only for a few seconds) where it covers Elvis' face it isn't a huge problem for me. Maybe it could have been positioned a bit lower? However, I really enjoyed this footage.

The live 1957 footage should have been an "easter egg" though - you cannot really derive too much enjoyment from this as Elvis is just too far away and the picture quality is not so "hot" either. I suppose it is interesting for the first few mins seeing the footage pan around the auditorium as it filled up to give some idea of how big those 1950's audiences were... but you'd only think that for the first viewing!

The colour footage of mainly the Graceland gates and the house from the wall was cute... but Tunzi repeats it in slow motion just in case you'd missed anything first time around.

Army footage - very familiar to my eyes and it looks like it was sourced from 4th generation video tape. It's supposed to be more complete, but I couldn't tell either way!

G I Blues premiere - not very interesting.

Bobby Darin footage - great new footage of Elvis appearing to be humbled by the audience's applause when introduced.

Tom Parker's party - again, pretty boring throughout.

Jaycee's footage - a few unseen seconds of Elvis is all you get, but I did actually find the other nominees speeches interesting, but in all honesty I doubt I'll sit through it all again!

MSG Conference - again, very familiar in content to what we already have, but still great to watch. I don't think I've seen the footage of Vernon talking before, but you probably have?!! The picture quality's not too hot though...

MSG footage - absolutely wonderful!!!! 6 mins worth. Brilliant quality and the tan (as seen in the press conference) makes Elvis look really healthy in comparison to the On Tour footage. Fans that enjoy watching his "little shaky leg" will love this!

Chicago footage - again, fantastic... The second source of footage is so good you can see Elvis' facial expressions. Great karate moves too. 4 mins to be treasured!

MSG Press Conference easter egg... This pops on about 20 seconds after the credits so you don't have to search for it. It is nothing more than the Colonel handing freebies (pens?) out to assorted press persons and others. If Tunzi had tagged this onto the actual press conference film in the main programme with some more Elvis dialogue not seen/heard in the featured footage this might have been more warmly received.

(I have not located the other easter egg)

Because I am a jumpsuit junkie the live 1972 footage has convinced me into thinking the dvd is not a complete waste of time, but I can't help but feel that £25 is still a lot to pay for ten minutes. To say this dvd completely disappoints is false in my opinion, but I can understand why it frustrates more than it thrills. Is it worth £25? I would say no, but because of the 1972 footage I don't regret buying it...

With volume three due out at the end of the year, Tunzi needs to really pull his socks up with the content as I suspect he may have lost potential takers because of this one!

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:23 am

thanks VERY much for this decent review..... this is 1 dvd i certainly will NOT be wasting my money on! why elvis news.com have a poll running about this dvd and so far 91% of fans thought it wasn't a good release at all!

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:54 am

Hello,

YDKM said:

why elvis news.com have a poll running about this dvd and so far 91% of fans thought it wasn't a good release at all!

If HSCC Vol 2. was utter garbage, do you really think that anybody would be talking about it? The fact that people are talking about it indicates to me that there is a certain percentage of fans that do think it is a good release. However, last time I checked only 42 people voted on the elvisnews.com poll. 42 out of how many thousand DVDs sold by Tunzi. Let's just use the ballpark figure of 5,000. In reality, that isn't much of a poll, now is it. Also, is it possible on elvisnews.com to vote more than once? I don't know the answer offhand, but I'd be willing to guess that it's very possible.

Mark Nicholson's review was much more honest. The cornerstones to a good review is to find something that you did like alot, find something that you liked somewhat, and to find things that you obviously thought needed improvement. Add to that that Mark's review comes across with a much better tone than ekenee's.

Daryl

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:24 am

Daryl, thanks for pointing me out to this other review. Pretty much my observations, but mine were more detailed.

And there is nothing wrong with the poll. I find it surprising that even %9 like it. Why do you think this is all one big conspiracy against this DVD?

Just accept it. The DVD has MAJOR flaws.

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:37 am

yes and apart from the Chicago 16/6/72 and 17/6/72 E/S brief footages i HAVE ALL the other footage already, so that makers me extra mad-yes especially the post madison square garden footage of the Colonel etc... iv'e had that 'extra' stuff for YEARS! :evil:

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:40 am

Daryl wrote:Let's just use the ballpark figure of 5,000.

Let's not.

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:43 am

ekenee wrote:Just accept it.
The DVD has MAJOR flaws.

Well, quite a military theme, then, with Private Footage, Colonel Parker, Major Flaws together with General Disappointment !

*this line was removed by the administrator. The thread is about the DVD and remarks of this type aren't necessary, or neither welcome.

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:27 pm

Hello,

YDKM wrote:

yes and apart from the Chicago 16/6/72 and 17/6/72 E/S brief footages i HAVE ALL the other footage already, so that makers me extra mad-yes especially the post madison square garden footage of the Colonel etc... iv'e had that 'extra' stuff for YEARS!

Yes, you might have had that footage for years but that doesn't mean everybody else has it. I doubt that you've had that footage in that good of a quality before either. If you're upset that you've had that footage, why don't I see you upset that FTD puts out outtakes that you already have on previous releases.

Matthew wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Daryl wrote:
Let's just use the ballpark figure of 5,000.

Let's not.

Why not use that ballpark figure? This isn't some bootleg release where only a 1,000 are made. Given that Tunzi has sold out and that some of the dealers are sold out speaks volumes. Do you even have the DVD Matthew or are you just trying to be a troll?

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:23 pm

The cornerstones to a good review is to find something that you did like alot, find something that you liked somewhat, and to find things that you obviously thought needed improvement.

No, if a reviewer hasn't found something in a product he doesn't genuinely like, why say otherwise. That doesn't make it a poor review, it makes it an honest one.

If HSCC Vol 2. was utter garbage, do you really think that anybody would be talking about it? The fact that people are talking about it indicates to me that there is a certain percentage of fans that do think it is a good release.

No - the fact is that so many people are talking about it because they've waited so long, and paid so much for a poor product that hasn't lived up to their expectation. Add to that the insult that good old Tunzi has seen fit to already start advertising vol 3 as "coming soon" before he's finished counting the cash from the current DVD.

Daryl, the fact is that your blind backing of an hour long DVD with little new footage with Elvis actually in it - certainly less than 20 mins, comes across as biased, and incapable of impartiality. You fail to grasp that Ekenee, and others desperately wanted to be pleased with this DVD, which has made the disappointment even worse.

You keep bringing up other things, such as FTD's etc, but that's not what we're discussing in this review. For the record, many people do complain about buying duplicate tracks on FTD.

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:22 pm

Hello,

DarrylMac, everybody keeps referring to the price of the DVD. Why? First of all (I believe I explained this before but I'll try again), the suggested $39.95 retail price is exactly that, a retail price. Many of the dealers (fan clubs, magazines, etc.) who buy directly from Tunzi get a wholesale price which can range anywhere from 20 to nearly 50% off the retail price, depending on how many copies the dealer purchases from Tunzi. His business is primarily made up from the wholesale market, not direct retail, which is where ekenee bought his from. So actually when you think about it, Tunzi's cut of the money isn't exactly what some might think, like ColinB.

Second of all, it is a fact that hard-core Elvis collectors (Sherif Hanna, to name one) will gladly pay several thousand dollars for a minute of unreleased Elvis footage. Until you can wrap your mind around that fact, the price of the DVD should never even be a question. Actually you're getting the footage cheap. Would you much rather pay several thousand dollars for that footage or would you much rather pay $39.95?

Daryl

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 am

Daryl

The Mona Lisa is priceless, yet you can buy a perfect reproduction print for £5. The question is do you want to own the original, and have the option to keep it to yourself, which is what the likes of Mr Hanna are paying for.

I can perfectly understand how much collectors have to pay for footage - I came close to spending several thousands of pounds 3 years ago for some footage, and wisely stepped away.

Joe Tunzi does very well out of the Elvis world with his numerous books, DVD's etc, and it seems everyone else here can see that in the last couple of years, Tunzi is inclined to charge more for a poorer quality product, relying on his reputation for sales. I'm not so sure he'll have such an easy ride with Vol 3.

Anyway, lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:28 am

ColinB wrote:
ekenee wrote:Just accept it.
The DVD has MAJOR flaws.

Well, quite a military theme, then, with Private Footage, Colonel Parker, Major Flaws together with General Disappointment !

*this line was removed by the administrator. The thread is about the DVD and remarks of this type aren't necessary, or neither welcome.

Oh boy, if only I could remember what I wrote that was so offensive it required removal !

Or maybe someone just had a humour by-pass........

In the past, on the rare occasion they needed to censor one of my posts, I got a polite, explanatory e-mail.

I guess such courtesies belong to a bygone age now......

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:54 am

Daryl wrote:Why not use that ballpark figure? This isn't some bootleg release where only a 1,000 are made. Given that Tunzi has sold out and that some of the dealers are sold out speaks volumes. Do you even have the DVD Matthew or are you just trying to be a troll?

Hello,

Use factual figures rather than made up ones.

Hasta la vista Da-ryl.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:30 am

Hello,

Matthew, use an actual avatar rather than a made up one. Seems to me that you're calling for attention. Why else that post of yours?

Daryl

Thu May 24, 2007 3:35 pm

somebody having a tracklisting for this dvd?

Fri May 25, 2007 12:26 am

Daryl wrote:... are you just trying to be a troll?

Daryl, you have the market cornered on that one.

Fri May 25, 2007 12:41 am

Hello,

Matthew wrote:

How do you know Matthew that I'm using made up figures. You don't.

Dr. John Carpenter wrote:

Daryl, you have the market cornered on that one.

Where's a decent moderator when you need one? Oh that's right. I forgot, he's busy locking the thread that David Bendeth (the guy responsible for the biggest selling Elvis CD ever) posted in. I don't necessarily agree with everything Gerry says. But at the same time I understand some of his points, Doc. That is something you have yet to even fathom.

Daryl

Fri May 25, 2007 2:14 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

Matthew wrote:

How do you know Matthew that I'm using made up figures. You don't.

How about posting your source to prove the worthness of your information? Can you do that Daryl, just for littl' ol' me?

Daryl wrote:Where's a decent moderator when you need one? Oh that's right. I forgot, he's busy locking the thread that David Bendeth (the guy responsible for the biggest selling Elvis CD ever) posted in.

Are you positive he is the guy responsible?

Dig deeper Daryl, dig deeper.