Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:51 pm

Daryl wrote:Hello DarrylMac,

How can you call Tunzi's books/projects poor quality and have ekenee call the DVD a ripoff but at the same token neither of you will take the time to comment on the terrible photo quality in FTD's "Live In L.A." Or the compression heavy "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong." If you truly feel that way about the DVD, why then won't you take the time to review "50 Million" or "Live In L.A." to those same high standards. And truth be told, in some places, "Live In L.A." goes for $120.00 or more for a photo book with blurry pictures and an inferior soundboard CD with an additonal audience recording on it. And ekenee wants to talk about rip-offs. Spare me the time.

Daryl

I read where there is some footage with Johnny Rivers and Elvis jamming to Memphis, then it cuts to the end of the song as Rivers stopped his tape-recorder as Elvis was looking the other way! :lol:

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:42 pm

Hello Joe,

Very funny. Only you got it backwards. Maybe Elvis was taping Johnny Rivers. Remember, this jamming occured at Elvis' house, not at Johnny's. And maybe Elvis or for that matter Marty Lacker turned the tape machine on while Johnny Rivers was looking the other way.

Daryl

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Daryl wrote:Hello Joe,

Very funny. Only you got it backwards. Maybe Elvis was taping Johnny Rivers. Remember, this jamming occured at Elvis' house, not at Johnny's. And maybe Elvis or for that matter Marty Lacker turned the tape machine on while Johnny Rivers was looking the other way.

Daryl

:lol:

Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Hello,

If ekenee truly feels the way his review reads, why don't he just contact Tunzi directly by e-mail and ask that he be removed from Tunzi's mailing list. It's obvious that ekenee ordered directly through Tunzi, given that he's gotten the DVD already. I'm pretty sure you can reach him at

jatpublishing@aol.com

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:34 pm

How can you call Tunzi's books/projects poor quality and have ekenee call the DVD a ripoff but at the same token neither of you will take the time to comment on the terrible photo quality in FTD's "Live In L.A." Or the compression heavy "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong." If you truly feel that way about the DVD, why then won't you take the time to review "50 Million" or "Live In L.A." to those same high standards. And truth be told, in some places, "Live In L.A." goes for $120.00 or more for a photo book with blurry pictures and an inferior soundboard CD with an additonal audience recording on it. And ekenee wants to talk about rip-offs. Spare me the time.

Well, firstly, Live in LA for $120? Here in the Uk it sells for £39.99, which is about $78. I don't have it yet, so can't comment on it, but was more than happy with WFTK, Rockin Across Texas and The Way It Was, all at a similar price, and all coming with 1, or 2 CD's.

Again, I don't have 50 Milliion yet, but do have Something For Everyone, Elvis Is Back, and His Hand In Mine. Kevans work has been widely praised, and I see no reason to believe it will be different in this case.

As for Tunzi products, his black and white, overpriced photo books, and sessions book full of nothing more than speculation are of a poor quality for the price. In years gone buy, he came out with some great books, but at some point, he realised that he could charge more, for a poorer product, and fell in to that trap. I see no reason that I would buy any more of Mr Tunzi's products, unless the quality improves dramatically.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:41 pm

Hello,

I need to correct myself on one matter. "Live In L.A." goes for "$169.49

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/002- ... ive+In+L.A.

Need I say more.

Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:42 pm

Daryl wrote:Need I say more.

No, but you will!

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:00 am

Why should I restrain myself? Because you said so. Who the heck are you to tell me what I can and can't do?

When you want to get down to brass tacks, I'll be ready to listen. But the fact of the matter is that not too many other legitimate entities (excludes bootleggers) are putting out unreleased footage of Elvis Presley. The scarcity of unreleased Elvis footage far outweighs any scarcity that any of the 3 recent FTD releases have. Why do you think FTD hasn't done a DVD yet? And yet, for ekenee to complain that Tunzi has charged too much is simply untrue. Most of his business is based on wholesale, not direct retail. So when the dealers order their copies, they get a reduced wholesale price of upwards to 40% off.

Now as for "Live In L.A.", even $78 dollars is too expensive for a poorly published book with an inferior soundboard recording. Do the words "rip-off" ring a bell.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:07 am

Daryl wrote:Why should I restrain myself? Because you said so. Who the heck are you to tell me what I can and can't do?

When you want to get down to brass tacks, I'll be ready to listen. But the fact of the matter is that not too many other legitimate entities (excludes bootleggers) are putting out unreleased footage of Elvis Presley. The scarcity of unreleased Elvis footage far outweighs any scarcity that any of the 3 recent FTD releases have. Why do you think FTD hasn't done a DVD yet? And yet, for ekenee to complain that Tunzi has charged too much is simply untrue. Most of his business is based on wholesale, not direct retail. So when the dealers order their copies, they get a reduced wholesale price of upwards to 40% off.

Now as for "Live In L.A.", even $78 dollars is too expensive for a poorly published book with an inferior soundboard recording. Do the words "rip-off" ring a bell.

Daryl, lighten up man, I was just joking with you! :roll:

Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:05 am

Daryl wrote: Those collectors spend alot of money building their collections up and to expect them to put their footage out at the risk of piracy and devaluing their collection is absurd. I realize it that you don't like that Tunzi has to do this, but those are the parameters he must work within.

You also wrote a bunch of other worthless crap too, but I don't really want to take the time and paste it here. You know what you wrote.

I don't give a rats ass what Tunzi's parameters are. That is not my concern. I am writing about a product that I bought and I wrote my observations based on what I saw. That is the bottom line.
When I write a review, I don't adjust it because the producers of the DVD have behind the scenes problems. Again, not my concern.
I am comparing it fairly with every thing else out there.
If he can't produce decent DVD's under the parameters that he has, then maybe he should re-think putting out DVD's. If he doesn't have the talent to overcome the obsticles that he has, then stop making them.

If you review a movie for example and say it sucks, not knowing the director and the lead actors could not get along, or the lead actors themselves did not get along, which in the long run was one of the causes of it being a bad movie, then it is what it is. You don't use excuses and say, well I couldn't get my crew to work together, so the movie is what it is, and I hope you understand I had some obsticles to over come.
None of that background stuff makes a difference. You view it, and you either like it or don't, and you give some details as to why.
That is what I did.

For one thing, I don't do drugs.

Secondly, I have Tunzi's sessions book and I think it's great. So there is no need to take me off the mailing list. Thanks anyway.

How can there be premeditated bias if this is the first thing I have ever not liked from him, and reviewed.

I wanted to do it quickly to warn people simple. I wrote that in my opening post that you missed again. You rip someone off, they do get pissed sometimes and write scathing reviews. Hey I'm human.

Daryl again wrote: Take for example the Darin footage. What do you expect Tunzi to do with the Darin footage. Have it colorized. Turned into widescreen footage. Exactly what can he do to that clip. It is what it is. It's silent b&w footage of Bobby Darin on stage introducing Elvis in the audience. It's a short clip. Isn't that what the title of the DVD refers to, "Hot Shots And Cool Clips Vol. 2"

It's called "cool clips", not "shorts clips". But the length of the clip was not my complaint. The only thing I wrote about that clip was that it was NOT earth shattering. It doesn't matter what I expected. It is what it is. And I stand by my observation on it.
I don't want it colorized or wide screen. You must be dense and simply cannot grasp the fact that I am not blaming Tunzi for the quality of the clip. It is what it is, and it is boring. Period. He can't help that. But face it, that what I observed. And its my opinion, I might add. My biggest complaint from the DVD was the stuff he could control. Poor POST production values. And waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much NON Elvis footage filler. You understand that. That is a fact you or Tunzi cannot deny. He made those choices. If wants to mess with the footage or include tons of NON Elvis footage, then he should expect a poor review.
That is part of the industry. You make choices, and you must live with them. They go hand in hand. If he wants to include a banner to stop piracy, then fine, he gets his banner, and stops some piracy but he also gets a review that warns people that there is a banner on the footage. What did you want me to say? There's not a banner.
Sorry, there's a banner. I don't like banners.
I don't like slow motion footage either, that only pads the length of the DVD.
I only touched on that nonsense in my review.
(See review for explanation.)
I only hope I saved someone $40.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:14 am

Hello,

Ekenee, at one moment you say that it isn't your concern what Tunzi's parameters were but before that you said that you could do a better job editing the DVD. Are you talking out your @ss? If you can do so much better, again I ask, why aren't you doing Elvis DVDs anywhere? You don't want to concern yourself with Tunzi's parameters, or with the historical significance of the Darin footage, or for that matter the Jaycees footage. How could you not find the Darin footage earth-shattering? Two musical legends, one introducing the other in the audience in Las Vegas? Seems to me that I would consider that person a total bore. And a self-indulgent ignorant one as well. The real reason you don't want to post the rest of "the other worthless crap" is because I pegged your review dead-on.

Where did I ever say that Tunzi had problems with "parameters" of making this DVD? Isn't the DVD out? And to compare it to a major motion picture is apples and oranges. There were no actors, directors in Tunzi's DVD. I can understand that you don't like that not all the footage has Elvis in it. But Tunzi made this perfectly clear on this very website what was on the DVD. He never tried to hide what was on the DVD. If he had done that, then you could consider it a rip-off. You had a pretty d@mn good idea what you were getting when you purchased the DVD to begin with. To make snide remarks about each piece of footage, even the ones where Elvis is in, shows your true colors. It shows that you're a negative person to begin with, and your review reeks of that negative bias.

Poor post-production values??? What the he!! are you talking about? All the menus work, all the captions are legible, all the chapters play, the Elvis dialogue and the music comes in perfectly clear to my ears. So where's the poor post-production values?

By playing the color Graceland footage from '57 at regular running time and then running it slower hardly constitutes padding the running time. The Graceland footage was slowed down so that the viewer didn't have to slow it down to notice that behind there was a dirt road leading up to the house and other small details that otherwise might have gone unnoticed on first, second or even third viewing.

As for the Colonel's birthday party footage, this footage just shows how much clout he had in Hollywood. I seriously doubt that you'd be able to grasp that concept considering your lack of intellect on grasping the Darin or the Jaycees footage.

In conclusion, your review comes across as if you had an agenda.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:53 am

Daryl wrote:Hello,

Ekenee, at one moment you say that it isn't your concern what Tunzi's parameters were but before that you said that you could do a better job editing the DVD. Are you talking out your @ss? If you can do so much better, again I ask, why aren't you doing Elvis DVDs anywhere? For one, I don't have the cash to buy rare footage. Secondly, it is not often there is even any for sale. So without the said footage, I guess I am not going to be producing any DVD's soon. But that doesn't mean I can't review a DVD on a public website now does it. I You don't want to concern yourself with Tunzi's parameters, or with the historical significance of the Darin footage, or for that matter the Jaycees footage. How could you not find the Darin footage earth-shattering? In the whole sceme of things, and watching new Elvis footage come out every year or two, this piece is not that earth shattering. Sorry. Two musical legends, one introducing the other in the audience in Las Vegas? Seems to me that I would consider that person a total bore. And a self-indulgent ignorant one as well. The real reason you don't want to post the rest of "the other worthless crap" is because I pegged your review dead-on. How did you do this? You haven't said anything remotely accurate yet. Somehow your bias shows. Have you met the great Tunz? Something just isn't right about your complete over reaction to my review.

Where did I ever say that Tunzi had problems with "parameters" of making this DVD? Isn't the DVD out? Yes its out. But it was released prematurely, and needed some major overhaul work done on it before its release. Daryl, just admit it. You have no standards do you. You are just as happy as pie about whatever comes out. And to compare it to a major motion picture is apples and oranges. They are both fruit, and you missed my point once again school boy. There were no actors, directors in Tunzi's DVD. Are you saying Elvis and Bobby Darin were not actors? I can understand that you don't like that not all the footage has Elvis in it. But Tunzi made this perfectly clear on this very website what was on the DVD. He never tried to hide what was on the DVD. If he had done that, then you could consider it a rip-off. You had a pretty d@mn good idea what you were getting when you purchased the DVD to begin with. To make snide remarks about each piece of footage, even the ones where Elvis is in, shows your true colors. It shows that you're a negative person to begin with, and your review reeks of that negative bias. I told you I am not bias. I am at a point in my life where the bar has been raised and I am not going to just accept product that is sub-standard. I spent 40 bucks, which gives me the right to speak out.

Poor post-production values??? What the he!! are you talking about? All the menus work, all the captions are legible, all the chapters play, the Elvis dialogue and the music comes in perfectly clear to my ears. So where's the poor post-production values? Did you read my review or even watch the DVD??? If all you need is for the menus to work and the chapters to play well then, I change my grade to an A+. Are you even all there? The Elvis dialogue is fine on the silent footage Einstien, but then Tunzi recorded some monotonous music track right over Elvis' talking. You can hear him, but it makes it difficult for me.
I don't like monotonous music tracks. And my review reflected that.

By playing the color Graceland footage from '57 at regular running time and then running it slower hardly constitutes padding the running time. That's exactly what it does. And not just on this footage. Pay attention here........everyone has a slow motion button on their remote. The Graceland footage was slowed down so that the viewer didn't have to slow it down to notice that behind there was a dirt road leading up to the house and other small details that otherwise might have gone unnoticed on first, second or even third viewing.

As for the Colonel's birthday party footage, this footage just shows how much clout he had in Hollywood. I seriously doubt that you'd be able to grasp that concept considering your lack of intellect on grasping the Darin or the Jaycees footage. Reminder----I don't need cool clips of the colonel.
This is an Elvis release and there was more colonel than elvis nearly. I know he has clout, we don't need 12 minutes of footage on this release to prove that. Poor, very poor editing choices I might add. If Tunzi wanted to include this type of footage as part of story telling in some sort of documentary then there is more leeway allowed. Reminder---This is just 10 chapters of footage shown in a row. No story. this is not the venue for this footage. Ditto on the JC'S footage of the other 9 nominees. So just give up on it. You are wrong and I am right. I will not even budge on this. This footage should never have been on this DVD. Never.

In conclusion, your review comes across as if you had an agenda. Yes, to warn people.

Anything else?

PS. The faults I see with the DVD to me seem obvious. In my mind I see a much better product possible if the correct choices are made. I want to make it clear that there are good things about the DVD, but for me, it was overshadowed by the many mistakes I point out. Believe me, I want to like every thing I buy. But these days its hit and miss. Everyone who finds a 5 second clip of Elvis will try to produce a full length DVD around it. But this is the world we live in. Try to make a buck off every little Elvis image there is, without a thought to quality or value.
Should I lower my standards and just be happy with anything I buy?
I could, but then I would feel like a robot just following along with the crowd.
Note that all I've written is my un-bias opinion only.
You can take it or leave it.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:12 am

For one, I don't have the cash to buy rare footage. Secondly, it is not often there is even any for sale. So without the said footage, I guess I am not going to be producing any DVD's soon. But that doesn't mean I can't review a DVD on a public website now does it.

Again, do you understand how much rare footage goes for? Apparently you do, so what are you complaining about the price of the DVD when you know beforehand that the price of footage is costly. And secondly, to use your wisdom, I really don't give a **** about your parameters that forces you not to be able to put a DVD out. It's similiar to someone who goes to their auto mechanic with a problem with their vehicle and their auto mechanic finds that the problem is something simple such as a blown fuse. The car owner gets billed more than what he thought he should have considering he could have fixed it himself. Point being, any fool can get on a messageboard and say that they could do this or that better than someone else. But at the end of the day, do they put up (the product) or just shut up.

How did you do this? You haven't said anything remotely accurate yet. Somehow your bias shows. Have you met the great Tunz? Something just isn't right about your complete over reaction to my review.

No, I haven't ever met Tunzi. How was I able to peg your review? Very simply. I read the first three sentences of it and I knew right away where this review was going. Go back and read your own review. If you were serious about this review, wouldn't you have viewed the DVD again? Wouldn't you put more thought into it? Again, I don't think you come up with that Wal-Mart bargain bin line on the spot. Don't tell me that wasn't premeditated.

Yes its out. But it was released prematurely, and needed some major overhaul work done on it before its release. Daryl, just admit it. You have no standards do you. You are just as happy as pie about whatever comes out.

Quite the contrary. Lately I've been disapointed with alot of the FTD's, including the three most recent. "Live In L.A." leaves alot to be desired. "50 Million" has compression issues. And for a DVD to come out with even 15 minutes (again using your estimate) is a breath of fresh air.

They are both fruit, and you missed my point once again school boy

No, I didn't miss your point. To expect Tunzi to put out something on the same level as a major film studio is simply an unrealistic expectation. Tunzi can't be like the bootleggers and put out TTWII or Elvis On Tour Volume 95. Nor can he put any Elvis music with his DVD. So in a way, he's limited with what he can do with the footage. Yes he can put Elvis speaking over the silent footage and yes he can put music that he has permission to use over the footage. What more can he possibly do? By the way, what were your expectations prior to getting the DVD? Do you have Volume 1 of Hot Shots? If you do, then you would have known what to expect. I doubt that you'll admit that you do have it, even if you did.

Are you saying Elvis and Bobby Darin were not actors?

Are you being serious? In the context of the footage presented, neither Presley or Darin were in the process of making a motion picture.

I told you I am not bias. I am at a point in my life where the bar has been raised and I am not going to just accept product that is sub-standard. I spent 40 bucks, which gives me the right to speak out.

Maybe you're just spoiled by the plethora of Elvis product available. It's really that simple.

If all you need is for the menus to work and the chapters to play well then, I change my grade to an A+. Are you even all there? The Elvis dialogue is fine on the silent footage Einstien, but then Tunzi recorded some monotonous music track right over Elvis' talking. You can hear him, but it makes it difficult for me.

Whether you like monotonous music tracks is a moot point, because again, what other alternative could Tunzi have applied. He surely wasn't going to run the footage silent in certain spots. I'd hate to have seen your review then. You would have been critical of that as well. As for the dialogue over the music, I had no problem hearing Elvis and the music clearly. It just seems to me that no matter what Tunzi would have done, it was a no-win situation in your eyes. Again, an indicator of premeditated bias.

That's exactly what it does. And not just on this footage. Pay attention here........everyone has a slow motion button on their remote.

Yes, everyone has a slow-mo button on their DVD player. That still isn't the point, schoolboy. Most people aren't going to take the time to slow the footage down to notice the small details I already pointed out. They aren't going to do it on their first watch through or their 100th. Secondly, that footage of Graceland only runs for about a minute at regular speed. By slowing it down, that only adds about another 3 minutes to the running time. Not exactly what I would consider padding the DVD.

Reminder----I don't need cool clips of the colonel.
This is an Elvis release and there was more colonel than elvis nearly. I know he has clout, we don't need 12 minutes of footage on this release to prove that. Poor, very poor editing choices I might add. If Tunzi wanted to include this type of footage as part of story telling in some sort of documentary then there is more leeway allowed. Reminder---This is just 10 chapters of footage shown in a row. No story. this is not the venue for this footage. Ditto on the JC'S footage of the other 9 nominees. So just give up on it. You are wrong and I am right. I will not even budge on this. This footage should never have been on this DVD. Never.

Yes, there is more leeway in a story telling documentary. But yet how many legitimate (non-bootleg) Elvis DVD/movies do you know of where you get to see more than 30 seconds of this footage at a time. There aren't very many. "This Is Elvis" didn't allow you to see that much of any one clip, unless it was a musical performance. And the same goes for "Elvis By The Presleys." Again, your ignorance to history shines through. What's not more historical than a future U.S. President speaking during the Jaycees bit. Or the guy from the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, MD speaking about trying to find a cure for cancer. Or press secretary for Nixon, Ron Ziegler speaking. I believe Elvis mentioned that Ziegler was getting the award to Nixon at one point. Or what about the Boston City Councilor who asks the Jaycees Congress to come up with a fund in the name of Martin Luther King Jr. Have some appreciation for history and don't be so narrow-minded that your only concern watching the DVD is Elvis. Why do you think Elvis was so humbled to receive the Jaycees award? Because, compared to what previous and the other nine honorees had done for service to their country, Elvis must have felt as if he wasn't worthy of the honor. Trying to find a cure for cancer and trying to end racism are two bigger fish on the grand scale as opposed to performing.

Yes, to warn people.

Why would you have to warn people? Personally I think your ego got in the way of your review. You just wanted to be the first kid on the block to say that you've gotten the DVD. You never did explain exactly what your hurry was. Wouldn't you have wanted to watch it again in case you missed something? Couldn't you have just e-mailed Tunzi directly with your opinions? Your rush to get your "review" out speaks volumes.

In closing, there are certain aspects about the DVD that I didn't care for, in particular the '50s courthouse footage and the '57 Detroit footage. Oh, and in case you missed it, there are 2 Easter Eggs on the DVD, not one like you would like to have everyone on this messageboard believe. I'm not going to tell you where the other one is at. I'll let you study for it, schoolboy.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:35 am

Daryl wrote:
For one, I don't have the cash to buy rare footage. Secondly, it is not often there is even any for sale. So without the said footage, I guess I am not going to be producing any DVD's soon. But that doesn't mean I can't review a DVD on a public website now does it.

Again, do you understand how much rare footage goes for? Apparently you do, so what are you complaining about the price of the DVD when you know beforehand that the price of footage is costly. And secondly, to use your wisdom, I really don't give a **** about your parameters that forces you not to be able to put a DVD out. It's similiar to someone who goes to their auto mechanic with a problem with their vehicle and their auto mechanic finds that the problem is something simple such as a blown fuse. The car owner gets billed more than what he thought he should have considering he could have fixed it himself. Point being, any fool can get on a messageboard and say that they could do this or that better than someone else. But at the end of the day, do they put up (the product) or just shut up. Hello McDaryl, is anyone there? I don't have any rare footage to release. I have a keyboard, so I wrote a review.

How did you do this? You haven't said anything remotely accurate yet. Somehow your bias shows. Have you met the great Tunz? Something just isn't right about your complete over reaction to my review.

No, I haven't ever met Tunzi. How was I able to peg your review? Very simply. I read the first three sentences of it and I knew right away where this review was going. Go back and read your own review. If you were serious about this review, wouldn't you have viewed the DVD again? Why would I need to watch it again, but I have since my review, and I still stand by it, except on one item, and I will address that later in here. Wouldn't you put more thought into it? Again, I don't think you come up with that Wal-Mart bargain bin line on the spot. Don't tell me that wasn't premeditated. That was written on the spot as I wrote it. I stand by that as well. Check out the Walmart $5.00 DVD called, "king of entertainment". For $5, you get value for the money. there is rare footage on that DVD. There are a few other cheap dvd's out there as well that have rare footage on it. Or it was rare when it first came out.

Yes its out. But it was released prematurely, and needed some major overhaul work done on it before its release. Daryl, just admit it. You have no standards do you. You are just as happy as pie about whatever comes out.

Quite the contrary. Lately I've been disapointed with alot of the FTD's, including the three most recent. "Live In L.A." leaves alot to be desired. "50 Million" has compression issues. And for a DVD to come out with even 15 minutes (again using your estimate) is a breath of fresh air.

They are both fruit, and you missed my point once again school boy

No, I didn't miss your point. To expect Tunzi to put out something on the same level as a major film studio is simply an unrealistic expectation. Tunzi can't be like the bootleggers and put out TTWII or Elvis On Tour Volume 95. Nor can he put any Elvis music with his DVD. I understand copyright laws thanks. So in a way, he's limited with what he can do with the footage. Yes he can put Elvis speaking over the silent footage and yes he can put music that he has permission to use over the footage. What more can he possibly do?[b] I have said this three times now....It's what he should not do that would help the product in my opinion. I want the rare film presented raw just like he found it, but with the quality restored if possible. NO crap intrumental music. NO banners, NO voice overs on sound footage. NO additions at all. I give leeway for dubbing in Elvis speaking voice over silent footage though. My preference here. This is not rocket science. He doesn't have to get fancy here. He is marketing this DVD to Elvis fans that want rare footage. Not really a general public release, since you can't go to Borders or Walmart to buy it. It's a specialty release that is released for a specific audience. And I believe that audience wants the footage in pure form not messed with. I am a hardcore fan. I don't like Ernst taking liberties with session dialogue and moving it all over the place and putting a 1969 vegas monologue at the end of a cd. Same idea really. Let the footage speak for itself. If he doesn't have faith in the footage he is releasing and thinks it needs these additives, then he is underestimating Elvis as an entertainer, and he is underestimating his customers. His demographic is hardcore Elvis fans as I said before, and he should gear the release towards that goal. [/b] By the way, what were your expectations prior to getting the DVD? They were obviously too high. Do you have Volume 1 of Hot Shots? Yes. If you do, then you would have known what to expect. Not really, since each item should be a little different. I doubt that you'll admit that you do have it, even if you did.
Wrong again there sparky.

Are you saying Elvis and Bobby Darin were not actors?

Are you being serious? No, I was just answering your statement literally. There are actors in the DVD, but there is no acting. In the context of the footage presented, neither Presley or Darin were in the process of making a motion picture.

I told you I am not bias. I am at a point in my life where the bar has been raised and I am not going to just accept product that is sub-standard. I spent 40 bucks, which gives me the right to speak out.

Maybe you're just spoiled by the plethora of Elvis product available. It's really that simple. That is possible, so Mr Tunzi needs to know that the competition is way ahead of him.

If all you need is for the menus to work and the chapters to play well then, I change my grade to an A+. Are you even all there? The Elvis dialogue is fine on the silent footage Einstien, but then Tunzi recorded some monotonous music track right over Elvis' talking. You can hear him, but it makes it difficult for me.

Whether you like monotonous music tracks is a moot point, because again, what other alternative could Tunzi have applied. He surely wasn't going to run the footage silent in certain spots. Why the f**king hell not? Other DVD's have done it. That is the way I like it. Daryl, there was a time, before 1927, they made whole movies silent, and people ate it up. Of course later they added music to them, but It all started out silent. And it wasn't just that he added music, but that he added really crappy, boring, irratating music. I'd hate to have seen your review then. You would have been critical of that as well. As for the dialogue over the music, I had no problem hearing Elvis and the music clearly. It just seems to me that no matter what Tunzi would have done, it was a no-win situation in your eyes. Wrong again there sporto. Again, an indicator of premeditated bias. Look up the word premeditated. Not even possible in this case. I really didn't expect it to be so rough. The editing choices and other goofs really caught me off guard, but it did inspire my review.

That's exactly what it does. And not just on this footage. Pay attention here........everyone has a slow motion button on their remote.

Yes, everyone has a slow-mo button on their DVD player. That still isn't the point, schoolboy. Most people aren't going to take the time to slow the footage down to notice the small details I already pointed out. I don't care if poeple don't have time to press a slow motion button or not. Again not my concern here. They aren't going to do it on their first watch through or their 100th. Secondly, that footage of Graceland only runs for about a minute at regular speed. By slowing it down, that only adds about another 3 minutes to the running time. Not exactly what I would consider padding the DVD. Other footage is slow-moed as well.

Just to give you an idea of how much I hate the slow motion padding.
The home movies of elvis at the 1962 world fair dvd.
The magnolia garden footage dvd
The pirzada Meridean footage dvd. ( don't have this one but read the review).
This idea that we need slow motion to see stuff is insane. I want the footage in real time and real time only.

Reminder----I don't need cool clips of the colonel.

Yes, there is more leeway in a story telling documentary. But yet how many legitimate (non-bootleg) Elvis DVD/movies do you know of where you get to see more than 30 seconds of this footage at a time. There aren't very many. "This Is Elvis" didn't allow you to see that much of any one clip, unless it was a musical performance. And the same goes for "Elvis By The Presleys." Again, your ignorance to history shines through. What's not more historical than a future U.S. President speaking during the Jaycees bit. Or the guy from the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, MD speaking about trying to find a cure for cancer. Or press secretary for Nixon, Ron Ziegler speaking. I believe Elvis mentioned that Ziegler was getting the award to Nixon at one point. Or what about the Boston City Councilor who asks the Jaycees Congress to come up with a fund in the name of Martin Luther King Jr. Have some appreciation for history and don't be so narrow-minded that your only concern watching the DVD is Elvis. I am a history buff, but I am an Elvis buff as well. I enjoy history, but in this case its not needed here. Why do you think Elvis was so humbled to receive the Jaycees award? Because, compared to what previous and the other nine honorees had done for service to their country, Elvis must have felt as if he wasn't worthy of the honor. Trying to find a cure for cancer and trying to end racism are two bigger fish on the grand scale as opposed to performing.

Yes, to warn people.

Why would you have to warn people? I don't have to, I wanted to. Personally I think your ego got in the way of your review. You just wanted to be the first kid on the block to say that you've gotten the DVD.
I wasn't the first kid on the block. I never think of such things since I don't care. I am so behind on FTD's its funny. I don't even have the latest ones yet, and there are many other I still need to get. You never did explain exactly what your hurry was. 3 times I did already. Wouldn't you have wanted to watch it again in case you missed something? Couldn't you have just e-mailed Tunzi directly with your opinions? yes I could, and I might do it. I figured he reads this site and can see it for himself. Your rush to get your "review" out speaks volumes. A review in any form of media is usually out before street date, so when the item reaches the store the people know what to expect. They use what is called in the industry as "advance copies". For example, if a movie review came out 4 weeks after its release, it serves no purpose to the people, since by then anyone who would have seen it, has seen it. The review needs to be there at the time people are thinking of buying. There will be people that buy it anyway and will totally disagree with my review. They have to see for themselves. And its the only way to get the MSG and Chicago footage, which is very good.

In closing, there are certain aspects about the DVD that I didn't care for, in particular the '50s courthouse footage (one of my favorite parts of the DVD ruined by a date banner. Now I want the footage without the intrusive banner) and the '57 Detroit footage. Oh, and in case you missed it, there are 2 Easter Eggs on the DVD, not one like you would like to have everyone on this messageboard believe. I'm not going to tell you where the other one is at. I found it a few days ago. It's footage that is on one of those other cheaper dvd's. None of it new. And not in imroved quality. I'll let you study for it, schoolboy.

Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:39 am

Hello,

Your "Back To The Future" reference is cute at best.

Why would I need to watch it again, but I have since my review, and I still stand by it, except on one item, and I will address that later in here.

Any serious reviewer absolutely would view the product more than just once. As for the "King Of Entertainment" DVD that Sandy Oliveri/Good Times put out several years ago on VHS and then reissued it on DVD that you made reference to, that footage has been out in the market for many years now dating back to the days of VHS. Only over time has it gone to the bargain bins. Also, some of the clips used on King of Entertainment were used without permission of the Milton Berle Show and the Hy Gardner Calling show. So, essentially you're referring to a bootleg. Third, you're absolutely correct, most of the footage on "King Of Entertainment" was rare when it first came out.

b] I have said this three times now....It's what he should not do that would help the product in my opinion. I want the rare film presented raw just like he found it, but with the quality restored if possible. NO crap intrumental music. NO banners, NO voice overs on sound footage. NO additions at all. I give leeway for dubbing in Elvis speaking voice over silent footage though. My preference here. This is not rocket science. He doesn't have to get fancy here. He is marketing this DVD to Elvis fans that want rare footage. Not really a general public release, since you can't go to Borders or Walmart to buy it. It's a specialty release that is released for a specific audience. And I believe that audience wants the footage in pure form not messed with. I am a hardcore fan. I don't like Ernst taking liberties with session dialogue and moving it all over the place and putting a 1969 vegas monologue at the end of a cd. Same idea really. Let the footage speak for itself. If he doesn't have faith in the footage he is releasing and thinks it needs these additives, then he is underestimating Elvis as an entertainer, and he is underestimating his customers. His demographic is hardcore Elvis fans as I said before, and he should gear the release towards that goal.

If you don't like the music why don't you just turn the volume down. You seem to have no problem finding the slow-mo button on your remote, so I can't see why you'd have any problem whatsoever finding the mute button. I believe I already explained the logic behind why the banners are used. Again, those are the parameters Tunzi must work within, if he's going to put the footage out to begin with. But that's right, you don't really care. It's like the classic Simon & Garfunkel song "The Boxer"

"Man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest."

They were obviously too high.

Still, you never answer my question with any depth. Be a little more precise. Did you expect Elvis' music on the DVD? What exactly were you expecting? And please don't tell me that you didn't have any expectations going into watching this DVD, otherwise you wouldn't have been in such a hurry to watch it and review it.

I wasn't the first kid on the block. I never think of such things since I don't care. I am so behind on FTD's its funny. I don't even have the latest ones yet, and there are many other I still need to get.

But yet in many ways you were the first to comment on the DVD on this messageboard about the DVD's contents. You can't b.s. me into believing that you "don't think of such things since I don't care." Another point is that why didn't you just e-mail your pals on this messageboard about the DVD instead of making a review. Cause you wanted to sound important by the fact that you had the DVD already.

Daryl

Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:02 pm

I also wanted to add

That is possible, so Mr Tunzi needs to know that the competition is way ahead of him.

What competition? There really is only him, Pirzada, the record label and EPE. Pirzada has only done two Elvis projects. The estate most of the time is more concerned with rubber ducks and nick-nacks of that nature. So that only leaves BMG/FTD. And judging by the fact that he has sold out his DVD in a little over a week and some of the dealers are already sold out makes me wonder who's behind who in the competition. Judging by "Live In L.A." I would think that Tunzi just might be ahead of FTD.

Also, doesn't "King Of Entertainment" have instrumental music playing in the background. It sure does, although it uses instrumental versions of some of Elvis' biggest hits such as "Love Me Tender" and "It's Now Or Never." I wonder if Sandy Oliveri/Good Times paid for music publishing.

Daryl

Re: DVD-Hot shots cool clips 2

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:36 pm

ekenee wrote:I just recieved my DVD of Hot shots cool clips volume 2 and watched it all this afternoon. I wanted to write this review as quickly as possible to warn people as soon as I could because I was expecting alot more for my money than this. I am not saying don't buy it, but know what you are getting before you do. I am a really big fan of rare footage and I try to collect all I can but the words “rip-off” & dissapointment come to mind immediately. I have gotten more rare footage from some of those cheap documentaries you get at Walmart in the $5 bin.

To start off with the DVD cover is a fine design and the menu is organized and easy to follow. Let me now just go thru each chapter and make notes to each one as I see fit.

The first thing is a couple of minutes of the 1956 memphis court footage when ELvis was charged with assault. There is more than before but here is what starts one of the most annoying things on this DVD. The chapter starts out with a detail of what the footage is and dated, but then you get a large date band that stays over the footage thru the whole clip and actually covers half of Elvis’ face, thru alot of it. This is totally unbelievable to me that they released it this way.

Then you get about 5 minutes of Elvis in Olympia stadium in Detroit from 1957. The footage is very far away and grainy, but it is rare. Since its silent they have overdubbed Elvis talking over the clip which is a good idea, but then ruined because then they overdubbed some annoying instrumental music which almost drowns out Elvis. This overdubbing is done on most of the clips.

Then you get a couple of minutes of the outside of Graceland filmed in 1957 with no Elvis in the picture at all.

Next is about 3 minutes of Army induction footage most of which we have seen before.

Then comes footage of the GI Blues premiere. Guess what, no Elvis footage here either, because, he didn’t attend!

Next we get about a minute more of the 1960 Footage with Bobby Darin. Nothing too earth shattering here.

Next is footage of the colonel’s birthday party held while Elvis was making Girl Happy. Guess what......yeah you guessed right, NO Elvis footage again. By now, I am thinking what is going on. But I continue on.

The JC’s luncheon. This chapter is the largest chapter at 14 minutes and yet we still only get the same speech as before, but footage from all the other nominees. What was the point of this? Oh there is a few seconds of Elvis before the speech time that hasn’t been seen before. A few seconds out of 14 minutes. Here I was hoping we would get the whole speech including his introduction all the way to the end. Another dissapointment.

Next is about 10 minutes of the NY press conference, of which about 9 minutes of I have seen before on many other DVD’s.

This next chapter is the most exciting for me. We get 6 minutes of really clear footage of Elvis in Madison Square Garden in 1972. Filmed from Elvis’ upper left, I hadn’t seen this footage before.
And the footage is very clear. I only wish it was longer.

The very last chapter is about 5 minutes of Elvis live in Chicago in june of 1972. Again, I hadn’t seen this before, and it is very clear.

There you have it. A total running time of under an hour, of which many chapters do not even include Elvis, and some that do, include footage we have seen many times before. I am not sure Mr. Tunzi has hit the bottom of the barrel, but it sure looks like it. Total minutes of previously unseen Elvis amounts to about 15 minutes at most. At $40, this amounts to a rip-off. I really expected much more for my money. I really wanted to like this DVD and there is some rare footage, albiet very brief, but there has to be a value for your money, and I didn‘t find that here. If Mr. Tunzi wants to retain customers he will need to re-think some of his choices made in producing his DVD‘s. I won’t buy this series again unless things have improved. By the way, for purchasing this DVD you get a free reproduction Elvis concert ticket, that isn’t worth the paper its printed on. One other annoying thing is that some footage is presented in slow motion. This is never needed as everyone has a slow motion button on their remote if we want to view it that way. One thing that was nice, was that for the first time on an Elvis DVD we get an easter egg of hidden footage. I won’t tell you how to access this, I will leave it up to you to find it. But don’t look too hard for it, because, yes you guessed it, Elvis isn’t even in the footage!!

a very good review ekenee . i enjoyed reading your review on this new dvd . . sounds interesting :wink: -
many thanx for sharing this with us fans .

Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:46 pm

ekenee!
Thanks! Saves me my money!

Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:38 am

For daryl. You make me weary. I am repeating myself and I am tired of having to since I explained everything to you, and you still won't let it sink it. So I will leave you with this. I was detailed on why I rushed the review. This is one of the few items that I ever get an item that quickly, so since no one else had reviewed it I found the time to do it.

As far as what I was expecting, I explained this in very much detail, you choose not to hear it. No I wasn't expecting Elvis music on it. I already explained that too.

over and out.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:40 am

ekenee,
I too would like to thank you for your review. Try your best to ignore people like Daryl who are so negative and one-eyed. In my opinion, Tunzi's items are mostly way too expensive for the average buyer (as are the FTD books). We all understand the costs involved, but the prices are still way above anything reasonable.
But that's just my opinion. Thanks again for the honest review. You've saved a few of us from needless waste of money and further disappointment.

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:04 am

I got my copy yesterday and watched it right away. I have to say that this is a rip-off. I buy a lot of DVD but this is probably the worst I have ever bought considering the price.

The footage from Chicago is very good, but the DVD is filled with material that only seems to be there to fill out the time. Why would an Elvis fan pay to see footage of the other jaycees or footage from a concert venue when Elvis is not even there?

Don't buy it!!!!

Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:45 am

Thanks for echoing my review. I think as people begin to see this DVD they will come to the realization that I did not blow my review out of proportion.

The whole thing reminds me of the old colonel parker story of the one foot long hot dog. What you see is not necessarily what you get.

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:27 pm

Hello,

Ekenee, if you really expected a full hour on unreleased footage that contained "Elvis", your expectations are way out of whack. Look no further than the TTWII-Special Edition. You were lucky if you got twenty minutes of new performances in that film. Many of the added performances were included in "The Lost Performances", which may be one of 3 video releases that are the exception, rather than the standard. The other two video releases that come to mind that included more than 20 minutes of new footage of Elvis are the "Alternate Aloha" VHS when it came out and the '68 3 DVD set. But besides those 3 releases, what other releases on VHS/DVD have had more than 20 minutes of unreleased footage. There aren't any. Not even last year's "Ed Sullivan" material had 20 minutes of unseen Elvis footage. That 3 DVD set was lucky if it had five minutes, considering the only thing rare about the set was the medley performance from the 3rd Sullivan Show.

Getting back to TTWII-Special Edition, even the promised hour of additional footage was nowhere near all unreleased. Most of that footage too was from "The Lost Performances."

Daryl

Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:36 pm

Hello,

dannyboy1, I'm so negative and one-eyed. I will keep this short and sweet. ekenee's review was so negative and one-eyed So why aren't you criticizing him? Is it because he put you up to saying that as he did with samses, bajo and karlos? It's like picking up a book and knowing how the story goes without ever reading the book. I've got you read already.

Daryl

Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:00 am

Is it because he put you up to saying that as he did with samses, bajo and karlos? It's like picking up a book and knowing how the story goes without ever reading the book. I've got you read already.

that's impossible since you can't read. I did not put anyone up to saying anything. As far as your comparison to the Sullivans set is insane.
That set had the 3 shows in the best possible quality without banners, and it was $20. TTWII was $11 on sale.

Daryl give it up. You don't have a sensible leg to stand on. Nothing in my review was out of line and I had no outer influences at all.