Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Elvis BICENTENNIAL Vol's 1 + 2 - Brief Review

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:17 pm

What we have here is a variation on a theme- with the theme being to get the best fan footage around from video, edit it and put onto a dvd but using computer technology to cleverly match audio soundboard and top quality audience* recordings that produce a unique Elvis concert experience.

With two meaty shows, time wise, from the American bicentennial year of 1976 (Elvis' busiest) per volume which in all honesty works really well.
Now out is the second volume featuring two December concerts, the first being a soft focus account of the Birmingham show on the 29th. Running a generous 42 minutes through 17 songs including the last ever live version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face and a seated Elvis at the piano banging out and singing Unchained Melody, dressed in his inca gold leaf jumpsuit. There follows the famous new years eve (31st.) Pittsburgh* shindig this time wearing the black (phoenix) eagle jumpsuit. Other projects have used similar techniques with this show and I would have liked to have seen another venue featured but for all that we get 40 minutes and 19 songs in generally super quality,lots of great close ups, though taken from various sources as can be seen with Auld Lang Syne.

The previously released volume one contains firstly an evening show in Charlotte from March 20th. With almost 33 minutes and 15 songs wearing the white vested, blue puff sleeved bicentennial suit prefixed by exterior scenes prior to the afternoon show with musicians and backup vocalists arriving at the venue on foot! Again dressed in the inca gold leaf suit the other concert is the first Chicago gig from October 14th, this time just over 25 minutes and 13 songs.

Verdict: I applaud the ingenuity of Memory Records, for their presentation and hopefully more volumes will appear. If your into this type of product what better way to view it.

Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:04 pm

The matching (soundboard) sound makes the clips really more enjoyable and the editing is done very well. The only thing that I didn't like, is that the New Years Eve performance is a little too well known. But still - two great releases!

Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:47 pm

good review Pseu ...

:wink: REALLY ENJOYED READING YOUR POST

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:03 pm

I suppose the two volumes are ok, but there are other packages that are a lot more complete. Again other packages use soundboard sound, they just have a lot more footage.