Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

DVD "Bicentennial Elvis II"

Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:43 pm

I just got the DVD "Bicentennial Elvis II" from Memory Records and I must say that this disc is a very mixed affair. It starts with a film shot on 29th December 1976 in Birmingham. The clip is dubbed with a soundboard recording, but the picture quality is very low. It's a completely forgettable thing. The second film comes from Elvis' Pittsburgh concert on 31st December 1976. The picture quality is really great and the film was dubbed with the audience recording that FTD has released some time ago. It's really enjoyable to see the (well known) film together with the (well known) soundtrack. To me it seems that someone had the great Pittsburgh film and thought the running time would be way too short if it was released by itself. So they combined it with the low-class Birmingham film to enlarge the running time of the dvd.

Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:53 am

I have had both on video for years - the 12/29/76 footage was never great in the first place. The 12/31/76 video footage I have is A1, but on the DVD it isn't as good as my video, though it is better than the 12/29/76 footage. I also bought their Time Warp DVD and was disappointed, as again, the video footage I have is better...

Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:51 pm

The good point for me is that it is a factory pressed dvd.
i really enjoyed watching the birmingham show and allthough its available in better quality it is still a great buy for the price imo.

as per the pittsburgh show im still finding that STARS version is the best out to date with the fantastic clear close ups and bits that have been left out of other versions ie jim curtain getting his scarf and chatting at stage side :)

cmon mr pc please do a vegas 74 dvd next :wink: :wink:

Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:10 am

paulsweeney wrote:I have had both on video for years - the 12/29/76 footage was never great in the first place. The 12/31/76 video footage I have is A1, but on the DVD it isn't as good as my video, though it is better than the 12/29/76 footage. I also bought their Time Warp DVD and was disappointed, as again, the video footage I have is better...

Can you tell me if you lose quality of this if you transfer from video to dvd please :)

Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:15 am

sid wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:I have had both on video for years - the 12/29/76 footage was never great in the first place. The 12/31/76 video footage I have is A1, but on the DVD it isn't as good as my video, though it is better than the 12/29/76 footage. I also bought their Time Warp DVD and was disappointed, as again, the video footage I have is better...

Can you tell me if you lose quality of this if you transfer from video to dvd please :)

I've never done a transfer, but I imagine you would notice a reduction in quality...maybe someone who has done this can better answer the question

Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:11 am

Quote: Can you tell me if you lose quality of this if you transfer from video to dvd please.

This is a timely question for me because I am in the process of transferring all of my VHS video's to DVD-R.

Theoretically, yes you lose something but that shouldn't stop you from doing it because once you do it, it won't wear out as fast as it would in the tape format. That was my fear is that I should get this stuff to DVD before it deteriorates further.

When you do a dvd burn you must be aware that there is different settings for quality. You can burn in 1, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10 hour modes.

Of course if you burn more hours per disc the worse the quality gets.

In my experiments, I have decided that the 2 hour mode is a nice copy quality with a decent amount of footage per disc. I don't think the difference in quality loss is easy to tell.

Not only is there the benifit of copying to disc easier for future viewing, but in the mean time I am sorting the footage so that all scattered footage that is similiar i can put on one disc together.

Believe me it is time consuming but these discs take up to half the space of my VHS collection.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:22 am

I just got the volume One of "Bicentennial" DVD series (with Charlotte / Chicago) from MEMORY and really liked it for what they did with a sub-par Elvis period. I look forward to checking out what Memory did with Pittsburgh footage on Volume 2.

I just got Star's "A New Year for Elvis" (their title for Pittsburgh '76-'77)and agree after a quick preview that it's really well-done. I have a hard-time thinking video footage is better than either DVD at this point, but if it's so good, let's see it released. :lol:

Interesting thread, fellas!

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 am

I have the the Rockin' On New Year's dvd and it has pretty good picture of the 12-31-1976 concert..but going to get Star's A New Year For Elvis soon see how much better the picture is on that.