Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Hollywood Elvis Vol.2 - DVD Review

Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:19 pm

If you thought that this set would pick up where the previous volume left off in chronolgical order with the G.I.Blues filmsongs you'd be wrong but don't worry they are here and round out the collection. A peachy four page menu greets us with a still of Elvis decked out in his Charro! costume wardrobe. Indeed pressing play starts the dvd with the song CHARRO! originally sung over the opening titles here slo-mo clips of Jess carrying his saddle, horse riding and recovering from the branding feature along with riding into town at night, dismounting and taking off his coat (I don't remember that in the film). LET'S FORGET ABOUT THE STARS recorded at the Charro! session but surely a reject from the Live A Little,Love A Little party scene where A Little Less Conversation was used. On set between takes,candid film, outtakes and stills complement the recording. KING OF THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD begins the Kid Galahad filmsongs all slightly stretched. Nice combining of slow/normal speed clips from the film with the back of the truck performance. No less that seven clips from other Elvis films appear, see if you can spot them. A WHISTLING TUNE is a good mix of Walter and Rose romantically strolling. THIS IS LIVING is the familiar film scene plus stills added. I GOT LUCKY(extended) follows the pattern as does RIDING THE RAINBOW and HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS. DEVIL IN DISGUISE is slipped in to a compilation of fight scenes of Kid Galahad. A great little bonus. Next up is the Spinout filmsongs which I must admit to liking.The title song is a mix of driving clips cut with the pool party performance ending with the river ducking scene that sequels nicely into BEACH SHACK(Dum be Dum) outtake tagged onto the front of the full song that follows...brilliant. AM I READY a tender romantic from Mike sung convincingly considering Cynthia got her dad to pay for the privilege. NEVER SAY YES has 'The Eyes Of Memphis' upon you to start this band production number with a few other slo-mo clips. ALL THAT I AM sees Diana playing hard to get in the woods to stake her claim to marry Mike. STOP LOOK AND LISTEN in the main is the nightclub production number. ADAM AND EVIL sees Mike leave the stage to sing in the crowd. SMORGASBORD is sung at the house/garden party walking with a guitar sampling the delights of the girls. I'LL BE BACK an Academy Award consideration offers the film clip with guitar playing from the above song scene intercut. Finally we come to the G.I.Blues filmsongs. The title song Three Blazes hostilery clip is well mixed. WHAT'S SHE REALLY LIKE only featured briefly in the film so it has been fleshed out with the communal shower scene and out in the field exercises. FRANKFORT SPECIAL is the regular train carriage scene. WOODEN HEART is a clever mix of the puppet show production. BLUE SUEDE SHOES offers a fight, stills and fast motion a la Benny Hill. DOIN' THE BEST I CAN is well cut whilst TONIGHT IS SO RIGHT FOR LOVE has Tulsa showing them 'vos dis ooze' with added stills and that swollen hand. DIDJA EVER is the regular number given the treatment as is SHOPPING AROUND but with good overlays and the end.BIG BOOTS(medium,fast and slow) features baby sitting clips though that added snare drum on the latter would surely have woken the bambino. TONIGHTS ALL RIGHT FOR LOVE is the Cafe Europa alternate in not the best quality but very watchable with some foreign sbtitles.This is RARE,I for one have never seen it. The same goes for the black & white candid/outtake footage that accompanies the last track SHOPPING AROUND(Instrumental).One of Elvis' heroes Dean Martin can be seen. Marvellous.Except for the last two tracks and who would be without them the sound and picture is crystal clear.

Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:38 pm

Wow!!!

3 new reviews in this dusty old ghost town we call the review section!!

I was gonna do a review of Let It Be Me in the All Elvis section, but now, hey I might just stick it here!!

Thanks Pseu. These Hollywood Elvis Dvds are recommended viewing for sure!!

Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:54 pm

Look forward to the review BIGREDG!

Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:31 pm

real good review Pseudonym . i really enjoyed reading yo review .

:wink:
I HAVE WATCHED THIS DVD RECENTLY AND THOUGHT IT WAS VERY GOOD .-

Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:43 am

karlos wrote:real good review Pseudonym . i really enjoyed reading yo review .

:wink:
I HAVE WATCHED THIS DVD RECENTLY AND THOUGHT IT WAS VERY GOOD .-

Star are GREAT!! :D

Can't wait for Born To Rock 2 to arrive - hoping for this one tomorrow!!

Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:40 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
Can't wait for Born To Rock 2 to arrive - hoping for this one tomorrow!!

Let us know your thoughts on this please BIGRED.

Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:34 am

I hoped in vain!! I think rumours of it being ready were a tad exagerated!!

Maybe get it at the weekend!!

Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:11 am

BIGREDG wrote:I hoped in vain!! I think rumours of it being ready were a tad exagerated!!

Maybe get it at the weekend!!

Lookin' forward to it myself BIGREDG, the postal service this time of year is abysmal to say the least.... especially mail from overseas..