Elvis Lives - Elvis In Concert 2 ????

Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
dl
Registered for: 18 years 7 months

Elvis Lives - Elvis In Concert 2 ????

Post by dl »

I got my copy of "Elvis Lives" yesterday and the production reminded me strangely of "Elvis In Concert". There is a lot of talking (by Ronnie Tutt & Co.) cut directly into the concert footage! The great "Johnny B. Goode" is ruined completely, because the musicans of the king (including a member from the Jordanaires!) have to talk about the drum solo. "Are You Lonesome Tonight" suffers from the explanation of a joke that Elvis will do the next second. What is this??? I have nothing against bonus features where the involved people talk about their work. But does this have to happen during the actual concert performance? The only reason that comes to my mind is, that the producers of the dvd want to avoid, that some bootlegger makes a nice little cd out of the material. If this isn't the reason for cutting all that interview stuff between the concert performances, someone was really able to destroy an otherwise very good dvd. The picture is great, the sound is good and the film material is cut very well. But go to hell with those interview stuff.....

Christopher
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by Christopher »

Deleted User 930

Re: Elvis Lives - Elvis In Concert 2 ????

Post by Deleted User 930 »

dl wrote:I got my copy of "Elvis Lives" yesterday and the production reminded me strangely of "Elvis In Concert". There is a lot of talking (by Ronnie Tutt & Co.) cut directly into the concert footage! The great "Johnny B. Goode" is ruined completely, because the musicans of the king (including a member from the Jordanaires!) have to talk about the drum solo. "Are You Lonesome Tonight" suffers from the explanation of a joke that Elvis will do the next second. What is this??? I have nothing against bonus features where the involved people talk about their work. But does this have to happen during the actual concert performance? The only reason that comes to my mind is, that the producers of the dvd want to avoid, that some bootlegger makes a nice little cd out of the material. If this isn't the reason for cutting all that interview stuff between the concert performances, someone was really able to destroy an otherwise very good dvd. The picture is great, the sound is good and the film material is cut very well. But go to hell with those interview stuff.....
I agree with you dl.
The atmosphere on this DVD is completely destroyed by those annoying interview parts.
The Johnny B. Goode part is a great example. It's so fascinating and great to see it performed live on stage, but on the DVD it is such an anti-climax!!!

To me it seems that this was put together by people who couldn't get a job elsewhere.

By the way, now it's clear to me what EPE stands for.

Eliminating
Presley's
Esteem

:smt097

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

ELVIS LIVES - CONCERT 2.

Post by karlos »

I just recvd the dvd yesterday and i watched it .- its good and very enjoyable to see. I was just wondering why John. Wilkinson was not present .i agree that there are a lot of talking on the dvd from band members etc .-

the songs are good to watch just like a concert ...

pity that there were taliking on Johnny B. ......

THIS IS A GREAT VERSION WITH EXTRA instrumental delivered by j.burton and rest of group.-.......

the power of the atmosphere is there when you watch such a great event .-

Even tho - E.P. has left this earth .- His memory will still live on .

Long live the king -

great dvd - :wink:

gareth

Re: ELVIS LIVES - CONCERT 2.

Post by gareth »

karlos wrote: I was just wondering why John. Wilkinson was not present
John Wilkinson was there but as far as i know he can't play anymore.I believe he was in a car accident. :(

Tony Trout
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Tony Trout »

gareth wrote:]John Wilkinson was there but as far as i know he can't play anymore.I believe he was in a car accident. :(

John Wilikinson was not involved in a car accident as to why he can't play guitar anymore...he suffered a stroke and that is the reason behind him not being able to play anymore.... :( :( :(

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

gareth

Post by gareth »

Tony Trout wrote:
gareth wrote:]John Wilkinson was there but as far as i know he can't play anymore.I believe he was in a car accident. :(

John Wilikinson was not involved in a car accident as to why he can't play guitar anymore...he suffered a stroke and that is the reason behind him not being able to play anymore.... :( :( :(
Thanks Tony :oops: :(

stari062

elvis

Post by stari062 »

Well i think they "ruined" it, so it wouldnt be bootlegged, i mean, JOHNNY B would make a great release, as well as AYLT, which has not been released (officially)

Any thoughts on this?

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

elvis in concert - 2

Post by karlos »

ARE YOU LONE SOME TONIGHT AND JOHNNY B. ARE good songs . especially the un seen version of A.Y.L.T . - FROM 1970- .
:wink: :wink: 8)
i especially like both the songsand all songs on the dvd :wink: -. the different instrumental part of J.B. Goode is great . pity they had a break on this number on the release . =- i especially like James burton playing on this and other songs on the dvd .
well worth getting .

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by elvislennon »

karlos wrote:I was just wondering why John Wilkinson was not present.
If you have the fan footage of Elvis: 25th Anniversary Concert DVD or VCD. Watch the introductions and look very closely and listen very closely. They introduce John Wilkinson and he stood up and wave to the fans and set back down. They did that just before they introduce Joe Guerico. I didn't know he was there until my friend over the phone was watching it and call me to tell me that he was there. His friend went to both the 20th and 25th. John was also at the 20th Anniversary show but wasn't introduce. He sat near James.

stari062

jb

Post by stari062 »

i agree, there is no other reason for them to "ruin" this, except being afraid bootleggers will use it... but JOHNNY B is on BORN TO ROCK 2 without talk! :lol:

elvislennon
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Re: elvis

Post by elvislennon »

stari062 wrote:Well i think they "ruined" it, so it wouldnt be bootlegged, i mean, JOHNNY B would make a great release, as well as AYLT, which has not been released (officially)

Any thoughts on this?
Oh, this will be bootlegged. Because people who went to this show and doesn't have access to the internet. A person who knows someone who has this and wants a copy of it. It will always be bootlegged. It will also be bootlegged because of the missing song. I can show you shops that is selling it right now that has that missing song on it.

Topic author
dl

Post by dl »

It already has been bootleged. I saw a dvd called "Never Ending Love" and the dialouge from the JBG scene was cut out. It's a shame that someone else has to do EPEs job.

stari062

nel

Post by stari062 »

a dvd called "Never Ending Love" and the dialouge from the JBG scene was cut out
On Never Ending Love, is the AUDIENCE recorded version. On BTR 2, you feel find the "pro" version, without the guys talking through.

Post by Guest »

Tony Trout wrote:
I have seen John at a Elvis Meeting in Rotterdam.
He had a stroke, so that is why he can't play guitar anymore.
But there is one thing that he can do.
Singing.
Not as good as Elvis, but i he can sing.

Narek
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Narek »

Just got my copy of Elvis Lives and it was fantastic!!!
The sound quality was geat, many of the songs sounded very fresh
Steamroller Blues was very impressive sounded a bit new to me. Though the solo was same.
Johnny B. with the new solos was fantastic.
Just Pretend and You've Lost That Loving Feeling were stunning.
Glenn's solo in Big Hunk O'Love was a bit in a Jerry Lee Lewisstyle which is great
If I Can Dream...well it got a tear from my eye, and it was n interestig experiance to hear how the TCB band would play it.
How Great Thou Art was as impressive as usual...just blew me away.

Overall this was a great purchase. Worth every cent and probably much more :)

The only bad parts some of which were really not essential are:
Too much of Ronnie in the beginnig.
James Burton never spoke
The sides screens were not shown when the had E's pictures
And indeed JohnnyB. was spoiled by interuption, though still rocked!!!

Elvis Lives!

He's the King. No matter what you think.

TCB-1977

Re: Elvis Lives - Elvis In Concert 2 ????

Post by TCB-1977 »

KempoDick wrote: By the way, now it's clear to me what EPE stands for.

Eliminating
Presley's
Esteem
:smt097
You took the words right out of my mouth.

heathbarclay

elvis lives

Post by heathbarclay »

Being so familiar with the original footage used in this production, I have to say that I found this DVD a little disappointing. I suspect the concept works much better live than on DVD. The picture quality varied from very good to very poor. The sound was okay, but James and the singers could have been louder. Also, sorry to say it but James' licks haven't quite got the zip that they once had. Age catches up on us all! The cut-ins were a bit annoying and would have been best left in the bonus section. The best pieces for me were Just Pretend and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Overall, the DVD was okay but I doubt that I will be watching it too often.

Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I've see the live show 4 times and each time felt disappointed by James guitar work and thought the same as heathbarclay. However, I went to see James with Billy Swan in May and James was excellent. Full on guitar solo's aplenty - top notch stuff. Which all leaves me even more confused by the Elvis Lives event? Perhaps because it all has to fit Elvis original vocal it hamstrings him a bit or maybe its in the mix.

cheers jamie

Gator's got me Granny.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Things have come to a pretty pass if the soundtracks of DVD's have to be 'nobbled' to prevent people making unofficial CD's from them.............

Why not put visual 'spoilers' on theatrical films to stop the pirate copies ?

Like making them out-of-focus at times or too light or too dark.

It's too stupid for words.........................

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Gregory Nolan Jr.

Re: elvis lives

Post by Gregory Nolan Jr. »

heathbarclay wrote:Being so familiar with the original footage used in this production, I have to say that I found this DVD a little disappointing. I suspect the concept works much better live than on DVD. The picture quality varied from very good to very poor. The sound was okay, but James and the singers could have been louder. Also, sorry to say it but James' licks haven't quite got the zip that they once had. Age catches up on us all! The cut-ins were a bit annoying and would have been best left in the bonus section. The best pieces for me were Just Pretend and Bridge Over Troubled Water. Overall, the DVD was okay but I doubt that I will be watching it too often.
Same here on almost all counts although, oddly, my "better half" actually seemed to enjoy it and the concept.

Personally, was on par with putting a moustache on the "Mona Lisa" although it was kind of fun to watch.

For whatever reason, James Burton's guitar set up probably didn't help. Many times, players mellow out and get a tamer sound but in reality, a good producer could get him to let 'er rip again. B.B. King on occasion seems mellow as a player, but set him up right and get him in focus, and he can play like it's the '60s again. The same with James, I bet.

Also, everyone is that much older and frankly it comes off with a more geriatric feel. It might work on PBS' oldie slots (in parts of the USA, it was shown there) but it inadvertantly makes Elvis' show seem tamer than it was to begin with. (We often talk about how stilted ALOHA was compared to tour shows..)

I have to still go back and what all the interview segments. I haven't been in a race to do so.

ImageImage
http://rewoundradio.com/
On the Edge of Reality

Russian fan
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Post by Russian fan »

what comes to my mind is that JB may be using quite a different setup of effects and amplifiers these days, his guitar is also different today - he has his own JB telecaster - available for sale by the way - and it has 3 single pickups instead of 2 which are standard for telecasters. I haven't checked it but maybe it has a different sort of wood and also when you have three pickups instead of 2 the scale lenght is different too. this all affects the sound. you may notice - the sound of his guitar was much warmer in the 70-s.

just for those who may be curious - here's some info about his guitar from the Fender Artist's series:
http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0108602887

Best wishes,
Yuri Nikulin

ElvisAhlgren
Registered for: 20 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by ElvisAhlgren »

I would say that James still plays very well but he has been using a more country like sound during the Elvis shows. I prefer the rock and roll sound he used to have during his days with Elvis. Yeah it's strange that he uses a better sound when he plays with other acts.