Kissin' Cousins - Not really that bad

Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
bc55
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Kissin' Cousins - Not really that bad

Post by bc55 »

I recently had the pleasure of watching KC on TCM in Europe, it was shown as part of a full-day marathon of Elvis movies on August 16th.

I remember seeing this dubbed in German on one of our domestic channels in the eighties, and I thought it was AWFUL.

That being said, of course I set up my machine to record it, because it wasn't available on DVD yet, and just watched it a couple of days ago.

I must say, it's not as bad as I remember it. Firstly, Elvis' acting is quite ok, if not really excellent, it's better than his sleepwalking in some other movies of that era, like Harum Scarum or Clambake.

The story revolves around Elvis as Josh, an Army lieutenant, who is taken to the hills of Tennessee on a special mission - he has to convince the Tatums, to whom he is distantly related ( hence the Kissin' Cousins title ), to lease their land in the mountains to the Army, who want to build a top-secret missile base there. Arriving at his destination, he is greeted warmly by his relatives after a small display of hostility on their part, and meets Jody, his spitting image, the only male Tatum on the mountain besides his uncle.

The idea of having him playing Josh and also his look-alike cousin named Jody was quite funny, although I'll never get why they had him wear a wig rather than dye his hair for the Jody sequences ..... he was a natural blonde anyway, duh !

I really liked Josh's love interest, Azalea Tatum, played by none other than Yvonne Craig ( SCHWING ! ), our favorite BATGIRL from the 1966 Batman series starring Burt Ward and Adam West - what a babe !!!!!

Even the other actors' performances were acceptable, although I'll never understand this goofy Kittyhawk all-girl mountain tribe - what is it with that ?!??!

The songs are mostly sub-par, although I really enjoy the second ( end ) version of the title tune, where Elvis even sings in two different voices to accommodate both Josh and Jody taking turns singing verses and duetting on the chorus - I never conciously noticed this until now, and it was SOOOOO obvious when listening to the record version afterwards - duh #2 !

So, to sum it all up, I really enjoyed this movie, even though it was a Sam Katzman quicky, only drawback was that it was shown in full-screen, not in widescreen .....

Cheers

BC55

Joe Car
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by Joe Car »

My parents loved this movie. Personally, I liked Tickle Me from this era.

karlos
Registered for: 19 years 5 months

KISSIN COUSINS -

Post by karlos »

U are right in everyway Joe. -Tickle Me is much better .,-
beautiful girls , etc -
good back drop as well as songs -

p.s- mind u i enjoy k.c. as well.- :wink:

Topic author
bc55

Post by bc55 »

Tickle Me is great also, especially since they used pre-recorded studio material for the soundtrack.

Jocelyn Lane as Pamela Meritt is FOXY, did I mention F O X X X X Y ?!

But then again, was there ever an Elvis flic with really ugly women ?!

I always thought Judy Tyler in Jailhouse Rock was classy, just as Dolores Hart was in both King Creole and Loving You .....

While we're on the subject, anyone got the latest TICKLE ME DVD release ?! Is it worth getting ? Where did you order it from ?

What other DVDs are in store for us in 2007 ?!

Cheers

BC55

Manhattoe
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by Manhattoe »

About two years ago I edited a TV rip for a private DVD "release" and so I had to watch it carefully to find the right moments for the chapter markers.

Since then I like this much movie much more than before, because I can't stop thinking of it as a Western movie pastiche: a hero who walks two worlds amidst unwavering settlers in the wilderness, beleaguered by "Injuns" (Kittyhawk tribe) und finally rescued by the Army. Well ...

DUM-DEE-DUM-DEE-DUM YEAH-YEAH-YEAH!
WHAT DO YOU THINK I AM?

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

It is very hard to appreciate "Kissin' Cousins."

This film marks the beginning of the end for Elvis in the 1960s as anything but a small joke in Hollywood. From the corn-pone, "hillbilly" soundtrack -- which must have privately stung the Tupelo, Mississippi native, who knew better about southern culture -- to the cheap sets and inane plot, it's a sad state of affairs for a young man so deeply passionate and talented. Elvis was not even twenty-nine years old!

And the "big ending" -- which "quickie" producer Sam Katzman was too cheap to reshoot or even re-edit, despite rushes which showed stand-in Lance LeGault face instead of Presley's -- is the final insult.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Elvis did not look very good with blonde wig imo.

Topic author
bc55

Post by bc55 »

Nevertheless, it still ranks higher on my Elvis movie list than some other 1960s dreck, like "Easy Come, Easy Go" or "Spinout" .....

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Not really that bad ?

All together now:

"Oh, yes it was !!"

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

No, it wasn't. I liked it a lot and so did the sold out theater (cinema) crowd I enjoyed it with back in '64. I still like it.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

bc55 wrote:Nevertheless, it still ranks higher on my Elvis movie list than some other 1960s dreck, like "Easy Come, Easy Go" or "Spinout" .....
Easy Come, Easy Go would definitely rank below Kissin' Cousins on my list of faves, but Spinout would rank waaaay above it. I love Spinout.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Yes, I know the couple. Harry Morgan and Audrey Christie (Cully & Peg).

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Barkeep! Doc, Colin, and I want whatever the "Kissin' Cousins is great" folks are drinkin'. Better make mine a double!

dreambear
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by dreambear »

This movie is almost as bad as Harum Scarum...and that is very bad... :(

//Björn

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Pete Dube wrote:Barkeep! Doc, Colin, and I want whatever the "Kissin' Cousins is great" folks are drinkin'. Better make mine a double!
...and Colin likes ice with his..............

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Rob

Post by Rob »

pacer wrote:Not seen KC for years but I remember I was glad when it finished.
I watched it about a month ago and it will more than likely be the last time I do that (and I plan on being around for quite a long time yet).

ronnyg

Post by ronnyg »

I bought the DVD and saw the film for the first time last night. It must have been painful for him to do that film. Here was a man who helped break down some of the hillbilly stereotypes from when he started out and here is a film which perpetuates those same stereotypes. The editing is really horrible during the title song sequence at the end and I couldn't believe the blatant disregard for quality when Elvis and his double backed up to the haystack together during the song. It was clearly evident that the blond wasn't Elvis and it looked ridiculous. It is strange to me that they chose to do a dual role in a film where they were looking to cut costs so much and shoot on a very tight schedule.

GIRL HAPPY BOY
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by GIRL HAPPY BOY »

KISSIN COUSINS sountrack is very good ! more than the film...
if you talk about bad movies go to: EASY COME EASY GO, THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS...
sincerely
Lior

drjohncarpenter

GIRL HAPPY BOY wrote:KISSIN COUSINS sountrack is very good ! more than the film... if you talk about bad movies go to: EASY COME EASY GO, THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS...
I'll take "Swing Down, Sweet Chariot," "Almost" and "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" by a country mile over ANYTHING on "Kissin' Cousins," save the title track.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

GIRL HAPPY BOY
Registered for: 18 years 4 months

Post by GIRL HAPPY BOY »

Hey DOC, how are you?
i meant about the film story: THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS not the songs in it
i think the song: ALMOST is one of the best from 1968 by the king.. :wink:

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

drjohncarpenter wrote: I'll take "Swing Down, Sweet Chariot," "Almost" and "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" by a country mile over ANYTHING on "Kissin' Cousins," save the title track.
I'd take those 3 over the KC title track as well. But Doc, don't you think Tender Feeling and Anyone are reasonably decent ballads?

drjohncarpenter

Pete Dube wrote:I'd take those 3 over the KC title track as well. But Doc, don't you think Tender Feeling and Anyone are reasonably decent ballads?
They are just OK -- and ruined sitting alongside those other pieces of garbage. Elvis was so much better than that -- and he knew it, too.

In just a few months the rock world would be turned upside down, and Elvis? MIA. What a waste.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

The only thing I ever asked of an Elvis movie was that It entertain me. For the most part they suceeded. Kissin' Cousins certainly did. I don't give a damn about any of the other stuff.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

Ok, the film has a very nostalgic quality about it as does alot of Elvis' films.

This kind of daisy mae, little abner thing was very popular in Hollywood at the time.

Pure fluff entertainment which plays better on the saturday 4 o'clock afternoon movie than it probably would in a theatre.

"Smokey mountain boy" for some reason I like.

Most of tunes are catchy but very simple.

The film also has Evonne Craig, the future batgirl it, as well as the gorgeous Pam Austin, who had a bit part in Blue Hawaii.
Those are the girls from "one boy-two little girls".

The sets are fake, and look fake, but they did film on location in southern california for some scenes.

There is something that I enjoy about all of ELvis' films. They all seem to come from such a different time. Watching hippi references and all the cool 60's pop culture atmosphere never bore me. And don't forget that ELvis had such a screen presence that kept you watching.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

Well said, ekenee.