Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Live a Little, Love a Little

Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:31 pm

Watched this last night for the first time in a couple years, was struck by what a change this movie was. Elvis actually sharing a bed with a woman? Working for a Playboy type magazine? Not chasing girls...although he takes a liking to Celeste ... Many surreal elements in play as well. I find it one of the most enjoyable Elvis pictures. The few songs included are good, too - Wonderful World, A Little Less Conversation, Almost in Love. Michelle Carey is, well, different. Some find it unbelievable that Elvis' character would pass on her, but a manly man like Elvis portrays doesn't want a woman controlling him. And Harry is always hanging around. But eventually she wears him down. "How the hell should I know? Maybe I'm in love with her. Maybe I wanna marry her!" Albert is very loveable, too.

Re: Live a Little, Love a Little

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:38 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Watched this last night for the first time in a couple years, was struck by what a change this movie was. Elvis actually sharing a bed with a woman? Working for a Playboy type magazine? Not chasing girls...although he takes a liking to Celeste ... Many surreal elements in play as well. I find it one of the most enjoyable Elvis pictures.

Yes, there was an improvement in Elvis' films towards the end of the 60's.

If it had come 3 or 4 years earlier, it might have revived his flagging film career.

As it was, it was too little, too late !

Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:16 pm

Agree with you Colin! It's a pity that when the change came, it was time-out.
I've always had a good feeling about the later 60's movies like Stay Away, Joe, LALLAL, The Trouble With Girls, Charro and Change Of Habit.
Not least because they were off the formula movies. And Elvis looked even better than before! Even the few soundtrack songs selected showed promise!

LAL, LAL

Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:49 am

Watched Stay Away Joe a couple weeks ago, but I found it weak, although it had it's moments...like when they barbecued the bull. Elvis looks great in it, though, as does his love interest..or should I say, lust interest, Maimie! No shotgun wedding for our Joe, though!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:09 am

I don't like Stay Away, Joe, but Live A Little Love A Little is not too bad. The Edge Of Reality scene is great. It could be released as a video clip.

movies

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:48 am

I like Change of Habit, too, especially when those nuns get a little feisty with the banker and Ajax Market :wink:

Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:00 pm

Stay Away, Joe - The Trouble With Girls - Live a Little, Love a Little - Change of Habit .....

Not one of them was a classic exactly; but they showed a definite improvement over what had come before !

The tiny seed of an acting talent that had been largely stifled since Flaming Star & Wild In The Country was starting to germinate.

Never got the chance to take root or bloom, though.

With a gardener like Tom 'Brownfingers' Parker, what did you expect ?

Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:41 pm

ColinB wrote:Stay Away, Joe - The Trouble With Girls - Live a Little, Love a Little - Change of Habit .....

Not one of them was a classic exactly; but they showed a definite improvement over what had come before !

The tiny seed of an acting talent that had been largely stifled since Flaming Star & Wild In The Country was starting to germinate.

Never got the chance to take root or bloom, though.

With a gardener like Tom 'Brownfingers' Parker, what did you expect ?

Parker really was a piece of crap.