Post Here All Reviews Of Films and DVD's

Follow That Dream - What Do You Think?

Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:36 am

The movie "Follow That Dream" was just released in Germany under the title of "Ein Sommer In Florida - Elvis Rockt Den Strand" (A Summer In Florida - Elvis Rocks The Beach). I bought the dvd and I was surprised how good the movie is. I have not seen it for a few years and when I watched it, I really liked it. Elvis definitely had a comical talent and some of the jokes in the movie work quite well. Even the sound and picture quality are good considering the age of the movie.

I thought Elvis should have done more movies like "Follow That Dream" or "Flaming Star". It looks like he was on the right track at the beginning of the 1960's. What do you think of "Follow That Dream"?

Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:07 pm

havent seen this movie at all but I do have the region1 Us version on dvd.
For your sake I do hope you saw it with original english soundtrack and not the german dubbed one!
For me its not understandable that every movie/tv series has dubbed german language in your country.
Cant the germans read subtitles like others?
:wink:

Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:19 pm

We could read subtitles, if we wanted to - BUT WE ARE TOO LAZY. It's more comfortable to see a dubbed movie. And by the way, often the dubbed versions are better than the originals. To me a movie isn't very enjoyable if you have to read subtitles. Maybe the Germans are just a little more clever than the subtitle-readers in the rest of the world. :wink:

Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:16 am

dl wrote:We could read subtitles, if we wanted to - BUT WE ARE TOO LAZY. It's more comfortable to see a dubbed movie. And by the way, often the dubbed versions are better than the originals. To me a movie isn't very enjoyable if you have to read subtitles. Maybe the Germans are just a little more clever than the subtitle-readers in the rest of the world. :wink:

Holy diver! I don´t want to hear Elvis speaking german (Wooden heart is enough...) and certainly not swedish either. But beware of japanese!!!! I think they dub all movies too.

//Björn

Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:29 pm

dl wrote:We could read subtitles, if we wanted to - BUT WE ARE TOO LAZY. It's more comfortable to see a dubbed movie. And by the way, often the dubbed versions are better than the originals. To me a movie isn't very enjoyable if you have to read subtitles. Maybe the Germans are just a little more clever than the subtitle-readers in the rest of the world. :wink:

I wouldnt say clever as my impression is that germans speak/understand english pretty bad COMPARED to other countries that dont dub everything.
At least I hope germans have the option to watch a dvd movie in english language if they want to.
Watching a elvis movie(or any other) with dubbed german language and lip sync dosent match......yuk!
Obviously best thing is to watch it with no dubbing and no subtitles at all,if you know the language.Elvis movies has very simple storyline too! :P

Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:18 pm

I know quite a few movies or tv shows that are much more enjoyable with german dubbing than in their original version. Sometimes the dubbed dialogues are funnier or more clever than the original ones.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:08 pm

dl wrote:I know quite a few movies or tv shows that are much more enjoyable with german dubbing than in their original version. Sometimes the dubbed dialogues are funnier or more clever than the original ones.

This can only come from a person who has watched german dubbed movies/tv all his life.You feel the need for defending the german dubbing pratice?Fine but for most of us that lives in countries without dubbing thats just silly to watch.

Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:44 pm

Follow That Dream the only Elvis film to inspire the title of a record label !

Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:57 am

"Critic" John Robertson described that movie "funnier than other Elvis comedies". I wouldn't describe it as a comedy at all. It does have funny moments, but I don't see no reason why it is funnier than others. Personally I watched only twice. Not the best movie, but a must for a collection.

Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:48 am

ColinB wrote:Follow That Dream the only Elvis film to inspire the title of a record label !

Maybe, but with the service that EPE is giving on their CD delivery, many people could suddenly have a Change Of Habit.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:51 pm

KingElvis wrote:
dl wrote:I know quite a few movies or tv shows that are much more enjoyable with german dubbing than in their original version. Sometimes the dubbed dialogues are funnier or more clever than the original ones.

This can only come from a person who has watched german dubbed movies/tv all his life.You feel the need for defending the german dubbing pratice?Fine but for most of us that lives in countries without dubbing thats just silly to watch.

Well, there seems to a frenzy for dubbing movies in Germany (even German cinema releases with original German language dialogues are dubbed to improve sound quality). As for the greater fun, that seems to be half truth half legend. If I remember well it goes back to the dubbed version of The Persuaders (starring Roger Moore and Tony Curtis). The original producers conceded that the German version was funnier than the original, but I can't imagine that the same counts for Monthy Python's Flying Circus.

And it's right that people from countries surrounding Germany (and France) have better English language capabilities (best example The Netherlands), and that's because only a few movies are dubbed with their languages.

As for Elvis movies, most of his German voices are hard to bear if you know the original, and, moreover, it is the orginal I want to hear. By the way, in terms of pronunciation Elvis has been very nice to us non-English Europeans, since he can be understood very easily.

However, the region 1 DVD of Follow that Dream I own is a bit more difficult to follow, because the sound is so fuzzy. But that's not the only reason I do not like the movie that much. I think, it's a bit too shallow and predictable ...

Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:01 pm

IMO, Follow that dream is Elvis best movie, and his best acting.

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:51 pm

Narek wrote:"Critic" John Robertson described that movie "funnier than other Elvis comedies". I wouldn't describe it as a comedy at all. It does have funny moments, but I don't see no reason why it is funnier than others. Personally I watched only twice. Not the best movie, but a must for a collection.

Not a comedy? The ending gets more serious, but the story is littered with comic moments. Do you think the bank scene was serious? :)
It stands out amongst the comedies because Elvis doesn't seem to be merely playing a version of himself. Let's face it, there is so little difference in the characters he plays in Viva Las Vegas, Speedway, Frankie and Johnny, etc etc that it could be the same guy. Elvis puts in a high quality comedic performance in this film, rather than going through the motions.

Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:59 pm

As I recall, it`s been a while since I saw the movie, but I don`t think we see or hear Elvis laugh once in the film. It`s one of the movies I`d really love to see outtakes from, because it`s the funniest movie Elvis ever made and I really think that he must have had big problems to stay cool all the way through. I bet theres some really great Elvis laughs through the filming in the outtakes. Funny, Funny, Funny movie :lol:

Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:16 pm

Denman wrote:IMO, Follow that dream is Elvis best movie, and his best acting.

1X1=1
1X2=2
1X3=3

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:18 am

Rob wrote:
Denman wrote:IMO, Follow that dream is Elvis best movie, and his best acting.

1X1=1
1X2=2
1X3=3

"He is like that, ain't he?" :) Some really good lines and a great deadpan performance from Elvis. King Creole and Flaming Star are more obvious choices for best performance because they are more gritty, but his FTD performance is at least the equal of both.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:34 pm

One of the best comedies of 1960's. No doubt about that.